The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Noble Saber »

Jedi Fallen Order? Battlefront 2 post launch? Not every Star Wars game can be a Republic Commando, but we have seen an improvement in the quality of the current catalogue.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Just finished the Mando season 1. It’s pretty good. I find it extremely overrated though. I think people like it because most of what they’ve been given the last few years has been absolute trash.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

2004Zilla wrote:Jedi Fallen Order? Battlefront 2 post launch? Not every Star Wars game can be a Republic Commando, but we have seen an improvement in the quality of the current catalogue.
Jedi Fallen Order is okay, I guess. I'll give you that.

That other game, the one that doesn't deserve to be named after Star Wars Battlefront 2, is the Star Wars Holiday Special of Star Wars games...

Added in 7 minutes 13 seconds:
Hah! What am I saying? It's worse than the Holiday Special. Of course it is.

At least you're not actively enabling a shady corporation in selling damaging products to children, the disabled and those with gambling addictions by purchasing and watching the Holiday Special.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I haven't played it (probably never will) but apparently EA's BF2 has seen massive improvements in recent years.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

2004Zilla wrote:Jedi Fallen Order? Battlefront 2 post launch? Not every Star Wars game can be a Republic Commando, but we have seen an improvement in the quality of the current catalogue.
Jedi Fallen Order is an extremely linier game with little replayability and Battlefront 2 post launch is a completely unbalanced, surface thin, bare minium content viability buggy mess

The EA license has been a complete disaster and the only reason Fallen Order gets so much praise is because it has no competition and redskins enough of Dark Souls to get by
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Fallen Order was a snore. Me and my friend both agreed it had absolutely no replayability, so i'm glad to see others feel that way.

I also loved Force Unleashed, which actually had a personality, but i digress.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote:Fallen Order was a snore. Me and my friend both agreed it had absolutely no replayability, so i'm glad to see others feel that way.

Ironically, I feel the opposite.

Force Unleashed is a repetitive slog with a horrible edgy protagonist that people love for some reason. I enjoyed the cast of characters and the gameplay of Fallen Order a lot more than TFU. But yeah, I also digress.

Off this subject, but I kinda feel like if The Clone Wars was made today, unchanged, people would treat it the same way they treat Rebels and base everything on how mediocre the first season is.

Saying this as someone who grew up with TCW, season one through most of three just hasn't aged well. The animation has that bleh early 2000s cartoon show look, the Senate episodes are boring, any episode featuring Jar Jar or C-3PO and R2 are horrid, and there aren't many episodes that I can pick and say I loved.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Saying this as someone who grew up with TCW, season one through most of three just hasn't aged well. The animation has that bleh early 2000s cartoon show look, the Senate episodes are boring, any episode featuring Jar Jar or C-3PO and R2 are horrid, and there aren't many episodes that I can pick and say I loved.
Season 1 is almost unwatchably bad. Shallow, obnoxious characterizations and half-baked stories.

Actually, the first Jar Jar focused episode was one of the few from the season that I enjoyed at all, since it at least had some kind of clear arc for its central character. Other than that, the whole season is mostly empty running around and firing blasters. The season finale was a big step up, I felt, in that it focused more on the Senate and some of the decision making going on behind the scenes of the war. I largely found "the fall of the Republic" to be a more interesting focus than "the progress of the war," since it's an actual story with someplace to go, as opposed to a bunch of people shooting at each other in the interest of the foregone conclusion to one man's chess game against himself.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Chrispy_G wrote:If Lucas is calling the shots....and he is able to bring his "sequel Trilogy" to life...I have to imagine it will be as full CGI films. In a Beowulf/Avatar-style "realistic" aesthetic, using performance capture and voice work. That way, people like Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill would simply be returning to 'voice' their characters...and the inevitable re-casting of Leia would be a LITTLE easier to sell if things were crossing over into animation.

That would then provide flexibility in terms of the timeline in which Lucas' sequels could occur. He wouldn't have to force a 40 year gap between trilogies. He could have it occur only 20-25 years after the original trilogy if he chose.

A George Lucas ran sequel trilogy would almost certainly include individuals like Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni. Filoni has a long history with animated Star Wars shows. Jon Favreau delivered The Jungle Book and The Lion King, films that pushed for photo-realistic CGI.....and of course, both have already helped deliver live action Star Wars excellence with The Mandalorian. So they have animation/CGI and Star Wars in common.

Also....Lucas leaned more and more on CGI as his career progressed. I think he likes the idea of crafting the entire thing in a computer where every single little detail and element is completely controllable.
Just gonna leave this here and have a big fat smile on my face: https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/08/ ... skywalker/

We'll see what happens
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:Fallen Order was a snore. Me and my friend both agreed it had absolutely no replayability, so i'm glad to see others feel that way.

Fallen order was suppose to be a one and done game, Force Unleashed had two endings but I think both are well.

BF2 is a completely different beast from when it was first repeated. I call EA and Disney out on their faults with Stat Wars but I also praise them when they try.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

The Jedi Knight game series executed everything TFU and Fallen Order wanted to do and better. Better story, combat, force powers, etc

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I've been playing Fallen Order and I disagree completely. Fucking love it and am totally interested in exploring it after I finish the campaign. But to be fair, I'm not a big gamer.

TFU I always found both 6edgy12me and just kind of "eh" in making you feel like a force user. Like, after a while, it felt more "hey, do something cool because its cool!", not something you unlocked and learnt how to use in battle properly

Jedi Knight interested me but I always thought it looked too clunky to interest me in getting it.

RIP Evan.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I've been playing Fallen Order and I disagree completely. skreeonking love it and am totally interested in exploring it after I finish the campaign. But to be fair, I'm not a big gamer.

TFU I always found both 6edgy12me and just kind of "eh" in making you feel like a force user. Like, after a while, it felt more "hey, do something cool because its cool!", not something you unlocked and learnt how to use in battle properly

Jedi Knight interested me but I always thought it looked too clunky to interest me in getting it.
I agree. I always thought of Force Unleashed as nothing more than a self wank "this character can BEAT Darth Vader!!" story obsessed with power levels more than anything else. Even back then I always disliked it as a story that was supposed to take place between ANH and ESB.

I also think it's funny how much some of you really haven't given Battlefront 2 EA a chance. They completely removed loot boxes and the only things you can buy with real money are all cosmetic, and if you don't want to grind you can literally buy every single cosmetic for $25. I also think the gunplay is overall mechanically better than OG Battlefront 2. Even if I think OG BF2 is the overall superior game, Battlefront 2017 really took a swing in the right direction post launch. But yes, let's rely all of our knowledge on Youtube videosmade in 2017 based on the argument that "EA BAD" even though it was mostly DICE carrying the post launch content.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

2004Zilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I've been playing Fallen Order and I disagree completely. skreeonking love it and am totally interested in exploring it after I finish the campaign. But to be fair, I'm not a big gamer.

I agree. I always thought of Force Unleashed as nothing more than a self wank "this character can BEAT Darth Vader!!" story obsessed with power levels more than anything else. Even back then I always disliked it as a story that was supposed to take place between ANH and ESB.

I also think it's funny how much some of you really haven't given Battlefront 2 EA a chance. They completely removed loot boxes and the only things you can buy with real money are all cosmetic, and if you don't want to grind you can literally buy every single cosmetic for $25. I also think the gunplay is overall mechanically better than OG Battlefront 2. Even if I think OG BF2 is the overall superior game, Battlefront 2017 really took a swing in the right direction post launch. But yes, let's rely all of our knowledge on Youtube videosmade in 2017 based on the argument that "EA BAD" even though it was mostly DICE carrying the post launch content.
Yeah, I finally opened Next Gen BF2 up again last week for the first time in years and it's a HUGE improvement.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the edgy as hell evil side missons in Force Unleashed where you just went around killing the OG heroes because eeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddgggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee or the fan service of just Obi Wan and Maul showing up on that one droid because they're Obi Wan and Maul.

RIP Evan.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Force Unleashed
I have the weirdest memory of seeing an ad for that game set to Skillet's "Rebirthing" in a Blockbuster back when it came out but now i figure that was probably an AMV or something but why it was playing on a store TV I have no idea

I also think I have the game on the Wii sitting in my parent's attic somewhere

IIRC I couldn't get past the first level fight with Kento because I was 8 and sucked at video games

I'm going to have to give it another go sometime
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:

Yeah, I finally opened Next Gen BF2 up again last week for the first time in years and it's a HUGE improvement.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the edgy as hell evil side missons in Force Unleashed where you just went around killing the OG heroes because eeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddgggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee or the fan service of just Obi Wan and Maul showing up on that one droid because they're Obi Wan and Maul.
You never killed the OG heroes in the Force Unleashed unless your talking about the non canon DLC.
2004Zilla wrote:

Force Unleashed took place two years before ANH where Vader was a shell of himself. ESB Vade would have killed Starkiller.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Exactly what I'm talking about and still part of the game and is edgy as hell.

Also, that's more bullshit fake canon power ranking stuff there I hate bud.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Exactly what I'm talking about and still part of the game and is edgy as hell.

Vader in legends was stated to be a shell of himself until he meets Luke, by ESB he's back in fighting form and is stronger than his ROTS incarnation. That is stated officially before Disney took over.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

miguelnuva wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Exactly what I'm talking about and still part of the game and is edgy as hell.

Vader in legends was stated to be a shell of himself until he meets Luke, by ESB he's back in fighting form and is stronger than his ROTS incarnation. That is stated officially before Disney took over.
Let me make this clearer.

I don't like that kind of shit because it sucks the fun out of stories.

Saying how it's totally backed up by a continuity that probably mentioned it in 3 novels isn't gonna make me change my mind

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone here think about Marvel Comics' Star Wars #108?

I got it for my brother because it has one of his favorite characters from that series, Valance the Hunter, and seems to be his final appearance.

I wonder if it was an all-new story or a planned one that was never released until now?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.