The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

Plagueis and Sidious didnt create Anakin in legends and Qui-Gui says it in TPM. In legends Plagueis was trying to create a pure dark side being, the Force got upset at this and in return created Anakin what Plagueis was trying to do with the dark side.

Plagueis heard about Anakin got scared and ordered Maul to kill him, Sidious saw Anakin as the final tool to his plan and started making moves.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't know how many times I've seen The Empire Strikes Back, and it just occurred to me this last time- when Luke tells R2 to stay and watch over the camp, R2 just totally ignores him and follows anyway. That cracks me up. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:I don't know how many times I've seen The Empire Strikes Back, and it just occurred to me this last time- when Luke tells R2 to stay and watch over the camp, R2 just totally ignores him and follows anyway. That cracks me up. :)
It’s great when a movie you’ve loved and re-watched throughout your entire life continues to have new surprises. Last time I watched Ghosbusters I noticed a sight gag for the first time, and I’ve seen that movie as much as I’ve seen any other.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Zarm wrote:I don't know how many times I've seen The Empire Strikes Back, and it just occurred to me this last time- when Luke tells R2 to stay and watch over the camp, R2 just totally ignores him and follows anyway. That cracks me up. :)
It’s great when a movie you’ve loved and re-watched throughout your entire life continues to have new surprises. Last time I watched Ghosbusters I noticed a sight gag for the first time, and I’ve seen that movie as much as I’ve seen any other.
Which one? I recently someone for the first time, too- and not even because I noticed it, but because I read someone else pointing it out. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Last time R2 didn't follow a Skywalker ir would be the last time he saw him. Anakin told him stay with the ship and as far as R2 would know he dies later that day.

The connective tissue of 1-6 amazes me to this day.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Which one? I recently someone for the first time, too- and not even because I noticed it, but because I read someone else pointing it out. :)
It’s when Egon has Louis at the firehouse (possessed by the Keymaster). I can’t remember now exactly when (I think its when Peck comes in to shut things down) but as Egon speaks, Louis mimes his arm movements behind him. It’s so subtle but so funny.

Also, before we go top off topic here, can we just all acknowledge that the whole ‘keymaster’, ‘gatekeeper’ thing is without a doubt the greatest sex joke in the entire history of cinema?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
It’s when Egon has Louis at the firehouse (possessed by the Keymaster). I can’t remember now exactly when (I think its when Peck comes in to shut things down) but as Egon speaks, Louis mimes his arm movements behind him. It’s so subtle but so funny.

Also, before we go top off topic here, can we just all acknowledge that the whole ‘keymaster’, ‘gatekeeper’ thing is without a doubt the greatest sex joke in the entire history of cinema?
So much of Lewis as the key master is absolutely priceless. From 'yes, have some!' to his delivery of 'I can tell you...', his physical and vocal shtick are some of the best comedy in the movie for me.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Here's a remarkable video about why KK hasn't been fired yet.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I dont care for TLJ but I still feel it was KK only real back step and even then it wasn't that bad money wise.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

She's a hugely successful producer who has helped Disney make a ton of money off of Star Wars. There would be no reason to fire her.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yeah, there may be plenty of controversy, but Disney isn't exactly hurting, money-wise. Now , if Solo's box office performance is repeated with ep. 9, and it turns out to be an effect of TLJ backlash/boycotts (rather than current perceptions of an intrinsic issue with Solo), that might change; but as things stand now, in their minds, if TLJ/the current state of the franchise is making good profits, Kennedy is doing a great job.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

eabaker wrote:She's a hugely successful producer who has helped Disney make a ton of money off of Star Wars. There would be no reason to fire her.
Zarm wrote:Yeah, there may be plenty of controversy, but Disney isn't exactly hurting, money-wise. Now , if Solo's box office performance is repeated with ep. 9, and it turns out to be an effect of TLJ backlash/boycotts (rather than current perceptions of an intrinsic issue with Solo), that might change; but as things stand now, in their minds, if TLJ/the current state of the franchise is making good profits, Kennedy is doing a great job.

Just because something makes a profit doesn't mean that it's successful. Just look at JP3. While it managed to make a profit, very few people consider it a true success. Not only that, but let's look at many other movies that made a profit yet were not considered successes.

Street Fighter '94 (This actually made a small profit, believe it or not.)

Zilla '98

X3: The Last Stand

Spiderman 3

Wolverine: Origins

The Last Airbender

Man Of Steel

The Amazing Spiderman 2

Batman vs. Superman

It's not just movies, but even movie executives as well. When Tom Rothman was in charge of Fox Studios, Fox always made a profit, yet he got fired anyway because of how he treated others like crap and always meddled. It was he who crippled the X-Men franchise and put his foot down on a proper Deadpool movie. (It's no coincidence that it was only after Rothman left did it finally get made.)

It's not just about making money in the here and now, but making sure that franchises are stable and healthy going forward. If you don't believe me, then explain to me why sales of Star Wars toys have basically imploded recently. I work in retail, and I saw far more SW toys still on shelves then I saw JW:FK toys the day after Christmas. So I have first hand account of seeing how angry SW fans have got since TLJ.

https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-last- ... sales-tank

Let me put this another way: If the profits=success mindset is true, then explain to me why Zach Snyder is no longer part of the DCEU. After all, if the first 2 DCEU movies he made manged to be profitable, (And before you say Wonder Woman, that was more of a stand-alone movie where Snyder wasn't nearly as involved.), then according to this mindset, he'd still be a main figure of said expanded universe, right.....?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rhedosaurus wrote:If you don't believe me, then explain to me why sales of Star Wars toys have basically imploded recently.
Because Hasbro oversaturates the market with cheap shit nobody wants. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movies.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:If you don't believe me, then explain to me why sales of Star Wars toys have basically imploded recently.
Because Hasbro oversaturates the market with cheap poop nobody wants. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movies.
I don't doubt that Hasbro making low quality toys is a large part of it. (I only a few toys of the first JW toyline back in 2015.) But I'm not going to write off fan rage just yet. SW fans would got many of those toys if they weren't so angry.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It is possible for a movie to be technically profitable but still perform well below expectations.

This was not the case for any of the first three Disney Star Wars films.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

eabaker wrote:It is possible for a movie to be technically profitable but still perform well below expectations.

This was not the case for any of the first three Disney Star Wars films.
But that's because with TFA and Rogue One, people didn't know what they were getting. Expectations where low. TLJ really burned a lot of people, so the fans took it on something, and Solo was that something. Not only that, but TLJ really dropped off fast. In reality, the Jumunji reboot/sequel would have been destroyed by TLJ. Instead, it kept on hanging and eventually overtook it. Something that NOBODY thought possible.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Your interpretation of what lead to Solo's failure at the box office is pure speculation. I think you grossly overestimate the number of people in America or the world who would decide to punish a movie studio for making a movie that they didn't particularly enjoy.

They made a movie not many people were excited about - because pretty much nobody was clamoring for a Han Solo movie not featuring Harrison Ford - and they released it against some really big competition.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

eabaker wrote:Your interpretation of what lead to Solo's failure at the box office is pure speculation. I think you grossly overestimate the number of people in America or the world who would decide to punish a movie studio for making a movie that they didn't particularly enjoy.

They made a movie not many people were excited about - because pretty much nobody was clamoring for a Han Solo movie not featuring Harrison Ford - and they released it against some really big competition.
And who's fault was that for greenlighting it in the first place? KK.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
eabaker wrote:Your interpretation of what lead to Solo's failure at the box office is pure speculation. I think you grossly overestimate the number of people in America or the world who would decide to punish a movie studio for making a movie that they didn't particularly enjoy.

And who's fault was that for greenlighting it in the first place? KK.
Yes, Solo was a poor idea in some respects, which was then timed and marketed badly, and much of the blame for that failure does fall on Kennedy, among others.

I don't recall saying that she was perfect.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

People saying toy sales being low is the "death of Star Wars" is such over exaggeration for the sake of getting clicks on videos and articles, it's almost comical.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.