The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

UltramanGoji

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

I didn’t say it didn’t have an effect on it, just that it wasn’t the biggest reason.

Considering reports say that the reshoots doubled the budget of the film, it’s entirely possible that without those extensive reshoots it could’ve at least made a small profit.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I think the ballooned budget from reshooting nearly the entire movie was more of a reason for its failure than its release date.
You don't feel dropping it that close to Infinity War and Deadpool 2 on top of being that close to TLJ didn't have an affect on it?

Solo had an uphill battle from day 1 and it seemed like everything was lining up for it not doing well box office wise.

Not only that. but too many people felt that it was made for the sake of making a new Star Wars movie. And the fact that few asked for one only proves it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Congrats eabaker, Rian Johnson's trilogy was likely not canceled, just delayed as he's work with the Game of thrones writer trilogies.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:Congrats eabaker, Rian Johnson's trilogy was likely not canceled, just delayed as he's work with the Game of thrones writer trilogies.
WOO-HOO!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rhedosaurus wrote:It looks like the Star Wars spinoffs have been canceled by Disney.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/exclusi ... 7ZwnbwVhSs
But those were the only good ones they made so far...

Oh well. Guess that's another reason to stop caring about Star Wars.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:But those were the only good ones they made so far...

Oh well. Guess that's another reason to stop caring about Star Wars.
Forgettable factory-assembled mediocrity like Solo and the uneven ride of Gilroy's Edwards's Rogue One were totally the only good Star Wars movies to come out of Disney-owned Lucasfilm.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

This "Make Solo 2 happen" thing is hilarious.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

So no spin-offs meaning no potentially original and creative anthology stories that don't need to be hooked to a trilogy. Meaning the trilogies are now the only hope of getting good stories

Rian Johnson's trilogy is still a go even though the backfire over TLJ is what caused the spinoffs to be canned, he's going to be writing the GOT Trilogy along with the writers who already burned their previous project to the ground

Sigh. Whelp, I guess Star Wars' unexpected hiatus for the next few years got longer, but if it results in better products then I have no problem waiting

6 years

And I saw TLJ for the first time since 2017 and it was even dumber then I remembered
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Can Disney please stop with the sabers doing minimum damage. They're like baseball sabers now, Jedi Fallen Order is a perfect example outside of the Disney XD shows.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote:Can Disney please stop with the sabers doing minimum damage. They're like baseball sabers now, Jedi Fallen Order is a perfect example outside of the Disney XD shows.
The lightsabers in The Force Unleashed were worse than Fallen Order from what I've seen of JFO imo. That lightsaber at least looks like they take more than one hit to kill a Stormtrooper. TFU tho? It felt like using a butter knife and the only time you can kill a Stormtrooper in one hit was if you threw it at them.
From what I've seen of Fallen Order, it looks like they go down in one hit. The only exception being the boss fight... but that's a boss.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the issue for me is, in TFU (and I believe the old Jedi Academy games) at least there was dismemberment, as a lightsaber should. From what I've heard, apparently Disney didn't feel comfortable with that concept for J:FO. It's minor but still an issue I have with the lighter tone they're applying to the franchise as a whole.

Speaking of, just got around to watching Ralph Breaks the Internet (had nothing else to do). It's a bit worrisome seeing how much Disney actually owns, license-wise lol. One thing that bugged me is they're constantly flaunting their huge "world" i guess, yet I remember a time when a majority of their biggest licenses were just Pixar, Muppets and Princesses. Weird thing to get unnerved about, but just a bit odd for me seeing all these franchises "consumed" in a way. Especially hearing that Lucasfilm specifically wasn't comfortable with a joke that was going to be in the film, about Kylo Ren basically being a Whiny Brat, because it'd "demean his role as a villain".

It wasn't an issue when George Lucas sent his license out to Family Guy, Robot Chicken etc. back when he owned the company, since he knew he created quality content, and wanted to have fun with it.

I wouldn't put it past the Corporate Execs feeling insecure about their characters.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:I think the issue for me is, in TFU (and I believe the old Jedi Academy games) at least there was dismemberment, as a lightsaber should. From what I've heard, apparently Disney didn't feel comfortable with that concept for J:FO. It's minor but still an issue I have with the lighter tone they're applying to the franchise as a whole.

Speaking of, just got around to watching Ralph Breaks the Internet (had nothing else to do). It's a bit worrisome seeing how much Disney actually owns, license-wise lol. One thing that bugged me is they're constantly flaunting their huge "world" i guess, yet I remember a time when a majority of their biggest licenses were just Pixar, Muppets and Princesses. Weird thing to get unnerved about, but just a bit odd for me seeing all these franchises "consumed" in a way. Especially hearing that Lucasfilm specifically wasn't comfortable with a joke that was going to be in the film, about Kylo Ren basically being a Whiny Brat, because it'd "demean his role as a villain".

It wasn't an issue when George Lucas sent his license out to Family Guy, Robot Chicken etc. back when he owned the company, since he knew he created quality content, and wanted to have fun with it.

I wouldn't put it past the Corporate Execs feeling insecure about their characters.
I don't why Lucasfilm would be upset with that joke considering whiny is a trait all Skywalkers have. I love Luke and Anakin but both of them where whiny as well and Kylo is just as bad.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I think the issue for me is, in TFU (and I believe the old Jedi Academy games) at least there was dismemberment, as a lightsaber should. From what I've heard, apparently Disney didn't feel comfortable with that concept for J:FO. It's minor but still an issue I have with the lighter tone they're applying to the franchise as a whole.

I don't why Lucasfilm would be upset with that joke considering whiny is a trait all Skywalkers have. I love Luke and Anakin but both of them where whiny as well and Kylo is just as bad.
Yeah I love Luke and Anakin, they were obviously young so of course they'd be whiny, it runs in the blood lol. That's why I gave Kylo a break on the whole Temper tantrum nonsense he likes to pull, since he's probably the best and only well developed character in the entire sequel trilogy.

It shows heavy insecurity within the new Lucasfilm, that they aren't at all comfortable with their characters being used as jokes for fun.

Added in 18 days 2 minutes 46 seconds:
I blatantly dislike the new trilogy's goal of rehashing the OT with a shiny plastic reskin of everything, from white nerf guns to Storm-troopers that don't look like they're "30 years later". Anyway enough ripping the sequels for now, I'll save that for some other time.

So they just revealed the new "Sith Troopers" and I dig em. They remind me of the old Fett/Mandalorian/Clone T visor mixed with sharp new age tech. Like more hardcore versions of Death troopers. It's what I expected the First Order Storm Troopers were going to look like, but alas. Beggars can't be choosers.

If I had any complaints it'd be once again, too shiny, where's the scuffs? the chips? the battle damage? Captain Rex could literally call the entire First Order a bunch of Shinies and he wouldn't be wrong. The other thing would be, the whole Red=Sith and blue=Jedi thing is a bit hard pressed in these new movies, it's like so in your face it's obnoxious. But red is my favorite color so I'll let it slide.

Since it's First Order gear, does that mean Kylo goes full Sith?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Blame George Lucas for Red= Sith and Blue= Jedi. Originally Luke had a blue saber in Rotj because that's the only color Jedi could make. Orginally lightsaber colors also depended on who was using it as Luke's rotj saber had a red blade when Vader turned it on.

We only got Green because of the blue saber looked horrible during the sail barrage assult and purple is because Sam Jackson has to have something purple in all his films.

Added in 28 days 18 hours 2 minutes :
Well the latest theory blowing up the internet is Rey is going to be revealed to be Shmi.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

...Reincarnated?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Zarm wrote:...Reincarnated?
Palpatine sends her back 10 years before TPM at the end on Ix. She blocks off the force and is Shmi.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
Palpatine sends her back 10 years before TPM at the end on Ix. She blocks off the force and is Shmi.
Is it bad that the idea doesn't sound as bad to me as the hundreds of other weak choices they've made with the new films?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Is it bad that the idea doesn't sound as bad to me as the hundreds of other weak choices they've made with the new films?
It ruins Shmi's character unless and this is assuming Disney does this. Disney makes Rey Shmi just to reboot the prequels and we then see films based on Shmi remembering she is Rey.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: It ruins Shmi's character
What character, she existed purely as an outlet for Anakin's turn to the dark side and nothing more.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
It ruins Shmi's character unless and this is assuming Disney does this. Disney makes Rey Shmi just to reboot the prequels and we then see films based on Shmi remembering she is Rey.
I mean Shmi didn't have much character beyond loving mother with a mysterious background. If anything it'd build her character.