The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Instant Family - Wow, a movie with Mark Walhburg that I actually liked. It's got a good message that wasn't overly cheeky, and heartwarming characters. Going into it I thought it would be a straight up comedy, but it's not and was better than I expected. 7/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Angel Town, this was a very fun film. I shouldn't be surprised by the fact that there is always going to be some great movies to discover.

The plot is nothing too special, your standard martial arts hero saves a poor neighbourhood from street gang. But the acting is top notch and the action keeps coming strong and fast.
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Us.

Jordan Peele's sophomore film after Get Out. It's basically a mix of The Strangers and Body Snatchers and I must say the results are kinda mixed. The first and second act are entertaining, but the third act (especially the final scene) was somewhat sluggish and boring. It's an enjoyable first time viewing, but nothing I would rewatch.

7/10
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

The Autopsy of Jane Doe( Netflix )

Good stuff. Wish more horror movies were like this. If I'd seen this in a theater, I'd have been happy. Anyone who likes scary movies should check this out...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Watched Terminator 2 for the first time in probably about twenty years.

Yeah, it's every bit as cheesy and half-assed as I remembered, if not more so. There really is only the one worthwhile Terminator movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

I just watched Finding Nemo while babysitting. Very underwhelming in the shadow of its mountainous praise. I'm just not a fan of the rapid pace that allows for nearly no breathing room, and the amount of convenient coincidences that pile on mercilessly (so a pelican just happens to enjoy dentistry as a spectator sport?). And this might be silly, but I find it disturbing when animals are portrayed with human expressions in cgi animation. It just feels unnatural.

On a slightly related note (Disney and water being the main themes), I saw Moana a short while ago and thought to myself "Wow, I had no clue a movie could be so whitewashed despite there being no white characters."
eabaker wrote:Watched Terminator 2 for the first time in probably about twenty years.

Yeah, it's every bit as cheesy and half-assed as I remembered, if not more so. There really is only the one worthwhile Terminator movie.
For some reason I'm relieved to see someone say this. I understand its appeal but when I get right down to it it's a very empty experience that leaves me scratching my head.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Hellraiser:

Extremely good. One of the best horror films of the 80's. Not for the weak-stomached though.

9/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Hellraiser:

Extremely good. One of the best horror films of the 80's. Not for the weak-stomached though.

9/10
A true classic.

I quite like Hellbound: Hellraiser II as well (although the older I get, the more strongly I prefer the original).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The Silence. Just watched it on Netflix and it the latest in the "don't make noise" subgenre of horror. I found it to rather dull, and the more I thought about what was happening the more it doesn't make sense that these small pterodactyl looking things causes the world to change over night.

Also, the film has human villain who makes the stupidest face while trying like hell to be threatening. He's pretending to snarl while not making a noise, it is so fucking stupid i felt bad for the poor actor. I think that this will perfect riffing material for MST3K or Rifftrax.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Fuller's The Steel Helmet. Great documentation of an often forgotten war. A couple of corny bits and production flaws don't detract from it's raw direction.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Fire In The Sky - That was pretty interesting. Good movie.
A Boy And His Dog - A fun little romp that got really fucking weird at the end. It was entertaining, though a little fucked with the sexism and all that.
Threads - Holy fuck I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this on. I should've researched this movie. See, I'm a huge fan of horror movies and I can handle pretty much everything... But then I put Threads on. I knew the main premise: A realistic look at what a nuclear holocaust would be like. I was interested. I put it on, it's a slow start, and then BAM! Everything just hit the fan. The scene of the bombs going off was fucking terrifying and the image of the woman with the melted face will haunt me for a long time. Though my reaction makes it seem like I hated it, it's actually the opposite. It was... definitely an experience. I can't say I loved it or I enjoyed it, because it's definitely not an entertaining movie at all... And I can only imagine what it was like to watch this movie back when it first aired... When the Cold War was still raging on...

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Black Summer on Netflix. Anyone seen this? WOW is it intense!
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I would've posted this the other day, but due to a setback, I had to wait til now.....

Frozen (2013):

After a long time of avoiding this film because of its over saturation, I saw it on Blu-Ray for a cheap price and gave it a look. Overall, unsurprisingly, it was pretty good. The animation is gorgeous, the music is great, and the characters are fun and entertaining. I was thankful that the song that drilled into my head when this film came out didn't bother me this time around. Seeing the build-up to "Let It Go" allowed me to appreciate it more than annoy me. If I had one negative thing to say, it's that Hans was an unneeded villain. In these kind of movies you do need some conflict for the Protagonist to engage in. The problem with Hans is that this film already has the conflict: Elsa's power. With the concern and fear over what Elsa can do and how Anna can help her gave the movie the conflict it needed, making Hans just stick out like a sore thumb. Other than that, this film was as good as people have said it is.

4.5/5
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Chris55 wrote:Black Summer on Netflix. Anyone seen this? WOW is it intense!
I just finished watching this the other day on Netflix since I'm a huge fan of any and all things zombies, and I must say it's pretty good. It's a little slow and repetitive in spots, but overall, me like.

I'm hoping we get a season 2 that shows the military's perspective.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave (1976):

Pretty entertaining. Didn't know what was going on most of the time though.

7/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just rewatched the unrated version of Dawn of the Dead (2004) the other day, and it still holds up fairly well to this day. The added story scenes and gore effects made an already pretty good zombie movie that much better. This movie proved that Zack Snyder can and has made good movies, though it still doesn't hold a candle to the original. Then again, nothing touches the original DotD except for maybe Night of the Living Dead, another Romero classic (R.I.P.).

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

New Police Story (2004)

Pretty damn good. Jackie Chan was awesome as always.

9/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finally started watching Warrior on Cinemax. A period martial arts/crime drama set in the late 1800s and based on ideas and concepts originally conceived by Bruce Lee. Pretty good so far. Of course being on Cinemax there's a lot of senseless sex and nudity but the main guy is pretty badass and the fights scenes have been pretty good.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat May 04, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I'm watching a movie called Captivity on HBO Go. First thought just a few minutes in: "what am I watching?" This movie is fuckin' disgusting, and that's putting it lightly. I don't mind a little hard violence here and there, but this movie is gross just for the sake of it. I'm surprised HBO even wanted this on their streaming service TBH. It's too bad because Elisha Cuthbert should be able to make anything watchable by herself, yet I already feel like shutting this shit off. I know the Saw movies are disgustingly violent and gory (at least 3-onwards fit the mold), but at least it has a point to it with Jigsaw's whole appreciation of life angle. This just aims to be vomit-inducing just for the sake of being vomit-inducing.

Seriously, I may need a puke bucket after this. 

Oh, and apparently, there's an Unrated Version of this available. Oh God, I don't even want to THINK about how much worse it could be, I'm watching the standard version.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Re-watching Hilda currently.

These are the kind of cartoons that needs to get made more. Not ones you see nowadays where they rely on slapstick humor and potty humor...-_-