The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by eabaker »

eabaker wrote:So, if I were to say, "If you're interested in German expressionist, check out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)," would it somehow invalidate the recommendation that I bothered to specify something about the audience it might most appeal to?
Weird, when I chose that movie more-or-less at random as an example, I did not realize that today is the 99th anniversary of its release.

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I finally finished S1 of The Punisher after much procrastinating and started S2 yesterday. 3 episodes in, kinda slow thus far, but I hear it picks up later on.

But S1 was dope, especially towards the end of the season. Jon Bernthal nails the character of Frank Castle to a T, easily the best live-action iteration of the character. It's too bad all the Marvel Netflix shows are getting cancelled. Here's hoping some (or hell, all of them) get picked up by Hulu, ESPECIALLY DareDevil for S4.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Robocop 2

Hey guys I last watched Robocop 2 and Robocop 3. I find Robocop 2 to be an underrated sequel. You know when you get Irvin Kirschner to direct a science fiction sequel you should get something decent. Robocain is an awesome villain. I love the fight at the end and the effects used to bring Robocain to the screen.

Robocop 3

Is Robocop 3 that bad? It's not a great movie but it's much better than the 2014 remake. At least Robocop looks like Robocop and Robocop 3 can at least be seen as fun to watch. You have Robocop flying on a jetpack and fighting a robot samurai, doesn't live up to the full potential but still fun. Remake is just bland.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Just got done with First Reformed. Seeing Toller's reality and views shift through the beautifully shot film is a depressing joyride. Never seen hopelessness and anxiety towards our and the next generation's futures be this engaging. Will God forgive the Academy for ignoring this kino?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Saw Greta last night. Can't remember the last time I was so frustrated by the pairing of really sophisticated camerawork coupled with such a flat, by-the-numbers screenplay.

For the first ten minutes, I was like, "When was the last time I saw anything with camera movement this elegant and purposeful?! This is gonna be great."

And then all the standard plot points played out in a strictly perfunctory way, with almost no shading of the characters whatsoever. It was just boring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I watched Terror Is A Man, from the Blood Island Collection. It was a lot more moody that I was expecting, the characters are very interesting with quiet a bit of moral ambiguity about them. The monster is very cool, a big cat slowly turned into a human that walks around wrap in bandages, making it look like a mummy. It even talks, I couldn't understand a word of what it said. All I know is that when it did, it sounded like it was incredible painful to do so.

And since the source for blu-ray was the camera negative scanned at 4K it looks ducking amazing.

Going to watch Brides of Blood next.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Captain Marvel

Just got back from Captain Marvel.

It was just ok. Fairly standard formula for an intro story.

Given that they preplanned Endgame to be released only a month or two after this I expect they are holding back on Carol Danvers full capabilities and power level.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Brides of Blood

A really fun, cheesy b-movie filled with everything you could possibly want from one. Nudity, gore, man-eating trees, a dance number, mutant bugs and a cheesy monster with a gross transformation.

Honestly, I could see this being on MST3K.

So, next on my Blood Island n no marathon is Mad Doctor of Blood Island!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just saw Captain Marvel, I went in despite the culture wars and I enjoyed it. There were some pacing issues, though and Brie was wooden at times, but the action scenes were nice. Seeing a younger Samuel L. Jackson via CGI was cool, too.

I also started a new vampire show on Netflix called Immortals. I'm 2 episodes in, liking is so far, though it seems the lines are poorly-dubbed.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Took a quick break from Blood Island last night and watched Class of 1984. Bloody hell, is this a fantastic movie. Sadly it did predict a ton of things that have happened to schools.

Incredibly strong performances from everyone in this. The villains in this, are fucking terrifying realistic. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that they are the best forgotten movies. They are just complete scumbags. They kill small animals( off screen) and raping a pregnant woman for fun, so it's feels sooo good when the teacher kills them.

Highly, highly recommend.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

Hey guys I last watched The Beast of Hollow Mountain. As far as I know between this and The Valley of Gwangi they are the only dinosaur and Western crossover films. Based on the fact that Willis O Brien showed up in the credits as inspiration i'm willing to bet both movies were based on the same idea he had.

Unfortunately the stop motion isn't up to the standard of Ray Harryhausen. The dinosaur has a play doh like quality to it's texture. However I still like the movie in spite of it's effects not being all that they could have been. It takes a while for the dinosaur to make it's first appearance as well.

The Neanderthal Man (1953)

I also watched The Neandarthal Man on the same Blu-Ray as The Beast of Hollow Mountain. This is the sort of movie that comes to mind when I hear the term B-Movie. Now it isn't particularly good and the effects are completely unconvincing even for the time but sometimes I don't mind watching something like this for the sake of curiosity.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Finished If Beale Street Could Talk late at night. Loved all the intimacy on display, the affection that stays strong in spite of the hardships was both heartwarming and saddening. It's such an engaging roller coaster of emotions, Jenkins gets you right into Tish's shoes for all the difficulties she faces alongside Fonny that arise from both their own personal issues and society at large. Some scenes have you bathing in their love while others have you face the realities alongside them. Loved each and every cast member. And my god, that soundtrack is fantastic. The Children Of Our Age and Agape being my personal highlights. Just elevates the material alongside the photography. Speaking of the photography, wonderful use of close ups and focus. Beautiful imagery with deep shadows and soft highlights that just ties you down to the narrative quicker. The editing was great as well, really gets the viewer to transition between different scenes that tackle different moods effortlessly.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rewatching the Gamera trilogy to tide me over until my daily Godzilla rewatch for KOTM which starts on the 27th of April. Finished GOTU and AOL, gonna try and watch the third one on Spring Break next week.

Guardian of the Universe: I feel like this is going to be the weakest of the trilogy. The characters aren't particularly interesting and mostly just talk a lot of exposition and you never really understand who they are beyond their profession. Asagi's probably the only on who breaks this mold but even then I found the movie just didn't focus on her enough. That said, everything else about the movie was really good. There's a lot of great shots, especially the one of Gyaos resting in the destroyed Tokyo Tower. Kow Otani's score is bombastic and really gets you pumped. And of course, the effects are fantastic. The detail in the miniatures is astounding and the monster costumes are also really well done. My one criticism would be that some of the spots in the Gamera/Super Gyaos fight are a little too "shovey". The story is also really unique and the twist of Gamera and Gyaos being artificial lifeforms is really clever. But while all of it is good, it just never reaches that point where I can say it's great, you know?

7/10

Advent of Legion: This one was a much bigger improvement over the last film. The characters are much more fleshed out and there's a lot of small little moments that really develop their camaraderie. We also have some good side character moments such as Midori's father being pulled away from the staircase by her mother and the two guards at the brewery. I would say the only problem with the cast is Asagi who is, once again, kind of shoved aside but even more so here. I feel like it would've been more interesting to have Asagi be the central character for all three films but what can you do? Effects are still as great as ever, detailed miniatures, monster suits, and all. Legion's design is very unique and the motions of the suit actors really shine through, despite the complex design. Legion also feels much more alien than any other enemy of Gamera's, ironic because half of the Showa villains are from outer space. But I think Legion is one of the best, if not THE best. The lore behind them fits with their look and the different abilities the Mother Legion shows off during the fight scenes are a visual treat. Gamera's new design is also my favorite of the trilogy and I really like how the film starts the "desync" of Gamera from humanity by not only having his link with Asagi severed but with the destruction of Sendai (which is a BEAUTIFUL sequence). And of course, Kow Otani's score still just as good as it was before. Not much else to say, just a big improvement and probably one of my favorites of the series now.

8.5/10

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Watching The Wolfman (2010) again. I figured, eh, it's been years since I last saw the film, so why not? My fondest memory of this film is it's the first movie I've ever seen Emily Blunt in. I can't really judge anything on the merits of the film other than it simply does its job as a werewolf movie with great cinematography, special effects and acting and decent enough pacing. It wasn't great, but would you expect anything more than a solid, gritty horror film from a werewolf movie?

The Howling is still the best werewolf movie to date.

I also watched the new Netflix original war movie featuring Ben Affleck called Triple Frontier the other day, I must say I really enjoyed it. Netflix has had a spotty track record with original films as of late, but this is a good one. Great acting, characters and story with some nice action scenes and set pieces to boot. I'd recommend it if you have a Netflix account.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Watched Triple Frontier last night.

I thought it was a pretty damn good military thriller. The 1st half especially had some tense shootout scenes and the heist they pulled off was totally immersive. Charlie Hunnam was the standout role; dude did a great job with his character.

I miss these types of Tom Clancy-esque black ops thrillers.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I had myself a movie marathon over the last two days.

Finnish watching the Blood Island Collection. Both Mad Doctor Of Blood Island and Beast Of Blood, are super fun, 70s exploitation movies goodness.

Rewatched Evil Dead 2, still an incredibly fun movie.

Lady Frankenstein, a great, fun gothic horror film. Real, shame that they don't make them like that any more.

And finally, Venom. I was annoyed with myself for missing this in the come and it's a fun movie. It really could benefited from going all out with horror elements, but for what it is it good film. I hope that we do get a sequel.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Overlord

I last watched the Horror driven War film Overlord. Most people i've seen comment on it seem to have enjoyed it so i'll probably receive a lot of hate for this but I actually thought it was completely generic and I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

I felt all the monster scenes were completely outclassed by films with a similar premise like Re-Animator.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Overlord

I last watched the Horror driven War film Overlord. Most people i've seen comment on it seem to have enjoyed it so i'll probably receive a lot of hate for this but I actually thought it was completely generic and I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

I felt all the monster scenes were completely outclassed by films with a similar premise like Re-Animator.
Why would you get hate for having your own honest opinion? I enjoyed and loved Overlord yet I ain't giving you poop for it? :|

If those people give you poop ignore them. Its not worth your time dealing with people who can't accept a person's different opinion on a movie.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Overlord

I'm with you. It was a fairly entertaining one-time watch, but I too was reminded of Re-Animator, which is something I could re-watch constantly. Even the wartime setting was reminiscent of one of the chapters of the original serialized story (as well as the opening of Bride of Re-Animator).

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Suspiria (2018)

Hey guys I last watched the remake of Suspiria.

I don't know what the general consensus is but I actually thought this was quite good.

They made a pretty interesting decision here since the original Suspiria is pretty well known for Dario Argento's color palette and with this movie they decided to go with a stripped down color style. Probably a good decision in hindsight since any attempt to imitate the original cinematography might have come off as a second best imitation.

Anyway they still manage to do a great job of having fairly shocking and gripping horror scenes and the movie stands on it's own quite well from the original.

They done quite well to shoot the architecture of the dance company in a monolithic and gothic manner.

I would say this and Werner Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre are my favorite horror remakes.