The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Julia Bristow »

Phantom of The Opera (1925): 9/10
Phantom of The Opera (1943): 7.75/10
Phantom of The Opera (1989): 8.75/10
Godzilla vs Kong: 7.5/10
Kong Skull Island aka A Marvel movie with King Kong: 7.75/10
Godzilla (2014): 6.5/10
Godzilla King of The Monsters (2019): 6.5/10
Rampage: 8/10
Zack Snyder's Justice League: 7/10
Justice League (2017): 6/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Julia Bristow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:16 am Phantom of The Opera (1925): 9/10
Phantom of The Opera (1943): 7.75/10
Phantom of The Opera (1989): 8.75/10
Jeepers, why'd ya skip the Hammer version?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

6.5 out of 10 stars

Overall while I liked it, I didn't exactly love it finding it decent at best since the plot while wasn't the most original being the whole Hero's Journey I did happen to like its setting, lore, and worldbuilding as well as its fair share of emotional moments and beats along with the message and theme of "Trust". The fact it also gave me Avatar: The Last Airbender vibes.

I do however think it missed the potential and benefit of being a TV series which I think it would have worked better as.

Not the best Disney film but still a good movie never the less.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Love and Monsters (2020). I thought it was a delightful experience with likeable characters, a good story, and great use of practical and special effects. I also like the somewhat bittersweet ending.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Alpha (2018)

9 out of 10

This is one of those movies which I would pretty much consider to be close to being flawless. The theme, the performance, the cinematography, its moral, theme, lessons as well how spiritually emotional and moving it is notably the bond between man and what would eventually become their best friend.

I have nothing else to say about this film other then how beautiful and amazing it was. Not to mention a surprise I didn't see coming at the end of the movie.

Granted I did only have a few nitpicks, I feel it could have benefitted being a half-hour longer, CGI though for the most part good could have been a little better, should have taken more time and longer to establish and develop the growing bond and relationship between the human and wolf, and being how dangerous the world was back then while trying to journey back to his home encounter more dangers such as a rogue mammoth notably.

But overall an beautiful and spiritual film.

This movie really deserved better and didn't deserve to bomb, the fact it wasn't even nominated for anything at the Academy Awards should be a crime.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^ Weird how caveman media is doing really good recently.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:56 pm ^ Weird how caveman media is doing really good recently.
Most likely because today we have a better understanding of how life for our ancestors was back then.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:56 pm ^ Weird how caveman media is doing really good recently.
Is it? I'm mostly just aware of Genndy Tartakovksy's Primal and Alpha (and I had forgotten all about that one). Not saying you're wrong, actually hoping there's something cool I must've missed and get to watch because I like the genre (setting? Period? Whatever it's called).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I'm on episode 18 of Neon Genesis Evangelion and it is absolutely brilliant. Things are starting to get dark...I care about these characters and don't want bad things to happen to them, but I have a feeling things will not end well...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've been trying to break out of my typical monster/sci-fi/superhero bubble a little bit and catch up on some of the many, many other movies I should probably have seen years ago. To that end, I impulse-watched Fargo the other day, and it somewhat unexpectedly ended up as a new favorite of mine. Memorable characters, an absurd-yet-plausible premise, brutal violence, over-the-top Midwestern accents (I'm sorry, funny is funny), bleakly beautiful winter scenery, and great music. Heck of a combination.

I decided to check out some of the Coen brothers' other work (I'd only seen O, Brother, Where Art Thou? before, also love that one), and just got done with The Big Lebowski. It didn't click with me quite as much, although John Goodman's character was hilarious. I'm very glad to finally have it checked off the list, though; been meaning to get to it for a long time.

I'll probably look into Raising Arizona and No Country For Old Men next.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Decided to watch Liyana (2017), a kind of documentary on a torrent site.

I thought from its premise of a girl saving his twin brothers from thieves it would be something like Kirikou and the Sorceress, but that's only half it. Its really about young kids in Africa who enter a storytelling workshop and tell this story. The doc a pretty neat one, both in premise and story. The animated portions are merely still images with a few movements here and there a la a motion comic, and the story doesn't have much in the way of fantasy beyond a monster (who interestingly resembles a monitor lizard with a head modelled after a hippo skull), but otherwise I enjoyed the movie. 9/10.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Just finished NGE on Netflix with The End of Evangelion. That was just devastating, good lord.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Just finished watching ''The Stylist'' which I absolutely loved. I would highly recommend for people to watch and odds are I will be watching again. It stars Najarra Townsend from the film ''Contracted''

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I watched The Adventures of Merlin on Netflix.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Went to go watch Demon Slayer: Mugen Train earlier today and...wow. I already loved the series, so i expected to love the movie, but it just blew all my expectations out of the water. Good stuff, 9.6/10

Added in 1 minute 38 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:23 pm Just finished NGE on Netflix with The End of Evangelion. That was just devastating, good lord.
Post-Evangelion depression is real and nobody can prove otherwise :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 01, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

The Monster from Green Hell. I've always wanted to watch this 50s giant wasp movie and finally got around to it because it was on Prime Video. Its pretty much just like all the other giant bug/monster movies from the time period and that's not a bad thing. The monsters looked pretty good and there was even a stop motion fight near the end.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just rewatched the first 2 Rush Hour movies on HBO Max, love them both. The chemistry/jokes between Chan and Tucker is something to marvel at, so many quotable lines/jokes between them in the first 2 movies (we don't talk about that third one), it's insane (I never thought I'd hear somebody utter the word cigaweed in my life before watching the first RH, lol), and yes, I even love the second one, glaring plot holes aside (Isabella happened to be flying all the way from Hong Kong to LA at the exact same time as them and conveniently staying at a hotel right across the street from where they are while also getting a package from the same mail package terrorist from Hong Kong who strangely didn't mail a bomb this time despite her being a USSS agent (!), all for the sake of writing this funny AF scene).

Seriously. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun May 02, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Just saw Lady Vengeance, the final film in Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy (the first two films being Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Oldboy). It was phenomenal, even better than Oldboy IMO.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The Dimension Travelers.

It's a 1999 Bandai Visuals movie starring Chiharu Niiyama who would later play Yuri in GMK. It's an interesting movie about teenagers who can cross dimensions and having to save the world from a world war that has already destroyed the world in other dimensions (or something like that). It's a good movie and I'm glad I watched it, but it's not something that I will revisit because it's slow-paced and not a lot of exciting things happen. The full movie is on YouTube if anyone wants to watch it.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched Invincible. It's on Amazon Prime. One of those shows that the less you know going in the better, but the entire first season was a pretty solid show.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.