The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Grievous »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Dracula AD 1972

Just rewatched Dracula AD 1972. One of many Hammer Dracula films starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Hey Dracula man do you play the PlayStation? Yeah man I play the PlayStation. Far out man.

Overcooked modern dialogue aside, at least for the time, I enjoyed the premise of this movie. Peter Cushing playing the grandson of Van Helsing who he played in the earlier films and also with Jessica Van Helsing, the great grand daughter of Van Helsing.
And it also features Caroline Munro...

Yummy!

Seriously though...Dracula AD 1972 is one of my favorite Hammer Horror films.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Dracula AD 1972

Just rewatched Dracula AD 1972. One of many Hammer Dracula films starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Hey Dracula man do you play the PlayStation? Yeah man I play the PlayStation. Far out man.

Overcooked modern dialogue aside, at least for the time, I enjoyed the premise of this movie. Peter Cushing playing the grandson of Van Helsing who he played in the earlier films and also with Jessica Van Helsing, the great grand daughter of Van Helsing.
Certainly not one of Hammer's best, but goddamn it's just such goofy entertainment. Plus, you know, there's that groovy performance by Stoneground!

I'm a very fine man
From an alligator clan
Ooh yes I am!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018)

So...I'm not sure what I was expecting...but what I got reminded
me a lot of The End of Evangelion with a depressing ending like
Sons of Anarchy...& I have to say I'm still trying to decide whether
I actually liked it or not.

:shrug:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jenn and I endured Bird Box the other night. What a mess.

First off, I'd say the runtime was totally mis-allotted. About 75% of the movie seemed to be the flashbacks, with only 25% dedicated to the trek with the two kids which is the actual story. That balance should be the opposite.

And, oh, those flashback scenes. Why do these people spend so much of the apocalypse standing around revealing their character motivations through thematically pointed exposition about their backstory? Really ham-fisted writing, unaided by mostly flat performances and a flat editorial rhythm.

And the climactic decision
Spoiler:
(the choice about whether or not to let Girl look)
came before the point in the narrative in which Mallory has her moment of transformation
Spoiler:
(minutes later, when she loses the kids in the woods and realizes how much she loves Girl)
which should have informed that decision. That's incredibly poor storytelling.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

eabaker wrote:Jenn and I endured Bird Box the other night. What a mess.

First off, I'd say the runtime was totally mis-allotted. About 75% of the movie seemed to be the flashbacks, with only 25% dedicated to the trek with the two kids which is the actual story. That balance should be the opposite.

And, oh, those flashback scenes. Why do these people spend so much of the apocalypse standing around revealing their character motivations through thematically pointed exposition about their backstory? Really ham-fisted writing, unaided by mostly flat performances and a flat editorial rhythm.

And the climactic decision (
Spoiler:
the choice about whether or not to let Girl look
) came before the point in the narrative in which Mallory has her moment of transformation (
Spoiler:
minutes later, when she loses the kids in the woods and realizes how much she loves Girl
. That's incredibly poor storytelling.
Huh if what you say is true. I can thank you for saving me two hours of my life. I was actually looking forward to watching it at this point but now that I heard this I think I'll skip.

To think from what I though it seemed like it would had been A Quiet Place done right. Last thing I need is going through another A Quiet Place.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:To think from what I though it seemed like it would had been A Quiet Place done right. Last thing I need is going through another A Quiet Place.
I mean, a lot of people love it... But then, a lot of people loved A Quiet Place.

The major difference for me is that I don't think A Quiet Place ever had enough story to justify a feature runtime. Bird Box at least made a lot more sense as a feature.

Oh, and I forgot to gripe about the title in my post.

SEE THIS BOX WITH BIRDS IN IT! IT'S REALLY THEMATICALLY IMPORTANT!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Anyways with all things considered though I think I'll just go rewatch The Ritual instead in that case. An actual good modern horror-thriller with smart characters. Get Out would also be another.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Jenn and I endured Bird Box the other night. What a mess.
HA!

Endured...

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

According to this. This is what the demons looked like...
Spoiler:
I kid you skreeonking not...What the skreeonk am I even looking at? :freak:

Yup totally not watching. :lol:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:According to this. This is what the demons looked like...
Spoiler:
I kid you skreeonking not...What the skreeonk am I even looking at? :freak:

Yup totally not watching. :lol:
They weren't "demons" per say...more like "Lovecraftian horrors" and the
only one they were actually going to show was based on a baby because the
person who would see it feared having children.

They actually shot the scene...but cut it because they realized it just didn't
work...well that an the actor couldn't stop laughing at it while they were trying
to film said scene.
Spoiler:
You don't directly see the creatures in Bird Box...only drawings & descriptions.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Scars of Dracula

I enjoyed seeing Christopher Lee and Patrick Troughton on screen together. Something about this, the atmosphere and cinematography seem at a strong point in this movie for the Hammer Dracula films.

Some of the mutilation aftermath scenes with the bat are downright gruesome. If you're a fan of the Hammer Dracula you'll always get something out of them since they are always consistent in their gothic horror style, tone, atmosphere and presentation.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I watched Flesh+Blood for the first time the other night. A great film that is sadly over looked, but to the director, Paul Verhoeven 's amazing films, Robocop and Totall Recall.

Very entertaining and filled with sex, violence and a ton of other things that would give the PC crowd a heat attack. Highly recommended.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Scars of Dracula

I enjoyed seeing Christopher Lee and Patrick Troughton on screen together. Something about this, the atmosphere and cinematography seem at a strong point in this movie for the Hammer Dracula films.

Some of the mutilation aftermath scenes with the bat are downright gruesome. If you're a fan of the Hammer Dracula you'll always get something out of them since they are always consistent in their gothic horror style, tone, atmosphere and presentation.
When I was first getting into Hammer horror as a teen, I really disliked Scars. I found it cold and ugly in a way that the rest of their Dracula flicks were not. However, as an adult I've developed more of an appreciation for it - maybe I've just become more cynical. It also may have helped that at some point in my twenties I showed it to a friend who absolutely loved it (he was an interesting one to choose movies for in general; by far his favorite of the G-flicks I showed him was Hedorah)

Troughton is great, of course. Troughton is generally the best part of any movie he's in (okay, in Jason and the Argonauts he ties with the special effects).

I know Lee loves that this one let him recite more of Stoker's dialogue than other Hammer flicks tended to give him. After we watched the audio commentary, "use Stoker's words" became an in-joke among me and some of my friends. But I don't think they use that dialogue to any special impact here. Like a lot of the dialogue in the movie, it feels like a place holder.

So, yeah, the characters (other than Klove, but including Drac) leave me cold here; but the brutal, ugly tone appeals to me more than it used to.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:Troughton is generally the best part of any movie he's in (okay, in Jason and the Argonauts he ties with the special effects).
You, my friend, have never been more right.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Gotten around to rewatching The Ritual again.

And it still holds up. Suspenseful and scary, one of the few movies to give me some jump scares. Also does a good job in hiding the creature until the very end with the build-up being perfect especially considering how well the climax is and the characters themselves especially Luke are very likable and frustration going through understandable with great acting to boot and moderate pacing not overstaying its welcome. I also give the movie props for not having one of those typical downbeat endings which most horror-thrillers ends today with.

The highlight of the movie though IMO is the monsters design. The CGI is top-notch and the design very original and unique as well as frightening being one of the few monsters to actually send chills down my spine.

Luke was especially a very smart character like Chris from Get Out such as taking his time to escape and then burning down the house to distract the folks. Only nitpick I honestly had was why he didn't just run while the monster was distracted and shot it with a gun but other then that its IMO a very perfect horror-thriller. I wish this would come out on disc. I'd gladly own it for sure.

If I could recommend to you guys on a good horror movie that gives you actual scares. This is it for you. You're better off watching a movie like this that actually has smart characters unlike say A Quiet Place aka A Stupid Place.

10/10
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:You're better off watching a movie like this that actually has smart characters unlike say A Quiet Place aka A Stupid Place.

10/10
Please Dwight, Jim just wanted to make a new movie. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Exists (2014)

10/10

A solid Bigfoot horror movie. I gotta say this is without a doubt IMO one of the best Bigfoot movies alongside Harry and the Hendersons. Watching it from the beginning I honestly wasn't expecting much but was rather pleasantly surprised in the end. To get down to it the characters in the beginning especially the main guy at first seemed they did pretty stupid stuff at first but overtime I could begin to relate to them more especially once in the situation they were in such as the frustration they went through such as arguing like any other normal rational person, how close they are of friends and family (Main character and brother) and reminding me in the end just like anyone else were all just human.

There were even some pretty emotional moments between the characters especially in the dire situation they were in including the main character and his brother. This movie even had some moments where it actually scared me and gave me quite some jumps, parts where I was at the back of my seat wondering what was gonna happen next. I haven't felt this way towards a movie in a while since The Ritual.

But what I love about this movie the most is the twist at the end. We're lead to wonder the reason for the Bigfoot for attacking them is because they wounded it by hitting it accidentally with their vehicle but it isn't. What they actually did was
Spoiler:
They killed its child. We find out about that near the end when the Bigfoot drags the main character back and shows him alongside showing the bodies of his dead friends and brother going as far as to shoving his face to its child's body to show what he, brother and friends had done and he begins to apologize telling it was an accident.

I like this because it honestly gives the Bigfoot its own character and personality and not just some monster that likes to kill out of pleasure showing how it has some humanity to it rather then being an animal and so its going through vengeful grief.
I in all honestly appreciated that line of thinking and a very unique twist and reason for why the Bigfoot was out to kill them not because it enjoyed killing. That IMO is what made the movie even greater. Another thing I also loved about this movie was it didn't have a typical downbeat ending where everyone died.
Spoiler:
In the end the main character is chased by the Bigfoot briefly after supposedly killing his uncle, he then points his gun at it telling it to stop and apologizes again for what they did and says he doesn't want anymore and shows this by putting his gun down. We're lead to believe the Bigfoot will kill him as he decides to do a video of his last moments but...It never does. The Bigfoot simply just leaves.

The reason I like this is because the way I took the ending there is that it was the Bigfoot's way of accepting his apology for what they did. That and the Bigfoot felt they were even. He took away what was its and so it took away what was his.
That's also not getting started with the Bigfoot's design. No CGI at all. It was a costume hence practical effects and so I give it props for that. The Bigfoot looks actually very real and legit. Everytime I saw it I thought I was looking at an actual real one. The effort the director and producers went through doing that makes me appreciate the movie even more because it shows how hard they worked on with this movie.

Overall though if you're a sucker for creature flicks especially found footage ones let alone on Bigfoot. I'd recommend this movie. Its definitely a movie I'll be watching from time again and again.

Two thumbs up!

Eduardo Sanchez is a very underrated director. I hope to see more movies by him in the future.

Added in 24 minutes 55 seconds:
I also forgot to add the movie doesn't overstay its welcome. Its got good pacing, no scenes drag on and doesn't take too long to have things start happening taking at most 10-15 minutes of build-up especially to getting to know the characters.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Saw Glass last night, and, like most people seem to, I had a very mixed reaction. Gonna go do spoiler and non-spoiler versions.
Spoiler:
I like the concepts and the overall story, and I think everything with Casey and The Horde worked particularly well. The biggest problem, for me, was the piling on of big revelations all right at the end. I think had the reveals involving Dr. Staple and her organization come twenty minutes earlier, and the ending’s twists been limited to Kevin’s backstory and Glass’s real plan, I’d have walked away with a better taste in my mouth. As it is, I’ll still buy it and re-watch it, but I’m sure I’ll always find the last few minutes frustrating.
Non-spoiler version: The first two acts are strong, but too much is reserved for a series of rapid-fire reveals at the end, some of which would have worked better simply being introduced as plot points earlier on.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I finished watching the first season of Titans last night. It's better than I thought it would be, pretty good really. I'm annoyed that it ended on a cliff hanger, but I will differently watch the second season when it comes out.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Psycho

Just rewatched Psycho. Strangely enough for I film I really like I've only seen it a few times. All the camera shots, the precision of directing choices. It's not unreasonable to call it Alfred Hitchcock's best movie.

I have one question and it's maybe something small I missed. But when Marion takes the car to the car yard to trade it in, the cop is watching her the whole time. Wouldn't the point of ditching the original car to get the cop off her trail? Or was it so her boss would find it harder to track her down.