Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by Angilasman »

Limited edition blu-ray versions (with special packaging, booklets, etc.) of Tremors, the Shinya Tsukamoto set, and Graveyards of Honor have sold out, but apparently Arrow will soon have standard edition versions out!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ Hopefully that's enough convincing for a Solid Metal Nightmares Vol 2 with everything else Tsukamoto's done (Hiruko the Goblin, Nightmare Detective 1 and 2, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man, Fires on the Plain, etc.). Not sure how Gemini would fit in with Mondo Macabro having recently released it.

With Sogo Ishii's Burst City under Arrow's belt as well I would love to see more obscure J-horror/sci-fi/cyberpunk in general - Ishii, Shozin Fukui, anyone!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Fingers crossed!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Seems Warner Archive let slip that they're prepping a Drunken Master II Blu-ray!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:34 pmWith Sogo Ishii's Burst City under Arrow's belt as well I would love to see more obscure J-horror/sci-fi/cyberpunk in general - Ishii, Shozin Fukui, anyone!
Well there's this -
Yoshihiro Nishimura's Anatomia Extinction Gets Collectors Edition Blu-ray

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Brotherhood of the Wolf special edition from Shout Factory!

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Anyone know if there is a delay with Shout Factory's King Kong bd?

Amazon lists it as releasing tomorrow but it also says it won't ship to the 20th.

If I keep my order, will i be charged tomorrow for something that won't ship for a week?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Maybe Amazon is running low on stock? Didn't prepare for the high volume of orders?

I've seen people posting images of their copies in the last couple of days.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

m0nster01 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:14 pm Anyone know if there is a delay with Shout Factory's King Kong bd?

Amazon lists it as releasing tomorrow but it also says it won't ship to the 20th.

If I keep my order, will i be charged tomorrow for something that won't ship for a week?
That's on Amazon. I got my pre-order from Shout directly this past week.

I have heard of some problems with people's orders receiving tracking numbers but not shipping yet although those orders seem to at least have confirmed stock on hand.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 am
tbeasley wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:34 pmWith Sogo Ishii's Burst City under Arrow's belt as well I would love to see more obscure J-horror/sci-fi/cyberpunk in general - Ishii, Shozin Fukui, anyone!
Well there's this -
Yoshihiro Nishimura's Anatomia Extinction Gets Collector's Edition Blu-ray
And here's something else -
MEATBALL MACHINE (BLU RAY) LIMITED EDITION SLIPCASE EDITION

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Editorial: “A Case for Physical Media”
In his second piece for Dark Horizons, our correspondent Adam Yeend reflects on the slow demise of the physical media industry in which he has worked for over a decade, and what we’re all losing in the transition to streaming.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

In time for Denis Villeneuve's Dune in October...

Arrow Video Bringing David Lynch’s ‘Dune’ to Deluxe Edition 4K Ultra HD This Summer!

Standard -

SteelBook -

Criterion have also released 5 of Lynch's films.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

tbeasley wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:07 pm Editorial: “A Case for Physical Media”
In his second piece for Dark Horizons, our correspondent Adam Yeend reflects on the slow demise of the physical media industry in which he has worked for over a decade, and what we’re all losing in the transition to streaming.
One thing we're losing is ownership. Studios are pushing streaming because they want complete control over the media. I don't mind watching something streamed but when all is said and done if I like it enough I want to eventually have it physically in my hands.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Speaking of ownership, I’m just realizing I my have missed out on the chance to upgrade many of my dvds to Blu or better for classic films at reasonable prices. For example, I just went looking and it seems King Kong ‘33 and Beast from 20,000 Fathoms are out of print and going up. Those films have been readily available for so long that I just put off picking up the blu rays but now they’re becoming difficult to find for anything near reasonable. I was actually hoping Kong would get reissued with the new film being such a hit, but I guess not. :-/

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:44 am Speaking of ownership, I’m just realizing I my have missed out on the chance to upgrade many of my dvds to Blu or better for classic films at reasonable prices. For example, I just went looking and it seems King Kong ‘33 and Beast from 20,000 Fathoms are out of print and going up. Those films have been readily available for so long that I just put off picking up the blu rays but now they’re becoming difficult to find for anything near reasonable. I was actually hoping Kong would get reissued with the new film being such a hit, but I guess not. :-/
I'm sure they'll rerelease KK33 for the anniversary in 2023.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

King Kong will enter public domain on January 1, 2029, so WB probably only has one more full "print run" on home media before then. I know there were some rumors recently that WB was getting out of the home media market - if those were truly just rumors, then I think we'll seen KK'33 go back in print before its copyright protection lapses.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

As I suspected would happen, Yasuzo Masumura's Blind Beast (1969) is coming to Blu-Ray courtesy of Arrow.

https://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2021/05/a ... in-the-uk/

A genuinely disturbing film with some pretty fantastic set-design, this is an easy buy from me. I'd kill to see Fukasaku's Black Lizard (Another adaptation of an Edogawa Rampo story) on Blu, but that's unlikely to happen.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am King Kong will enter public domain on January 1, 2029, so WB probably only has one more full "print run" on home media before then. I know there were some rumors recently that WB was getting out of the home media market - if those were truly just rumors, then I think we'll seen KK'33 go back in print before its copyright protection lapses.
Well, they've kinda gotten out of the home video market: they merged their home video division with Universal's, so now this combined distributor handles both studios releases.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Today via Criterion, The Human Condition.
This mammoth humanist drama by Masaki Kobayashi is one of the most staggering achievements of Japanese cinema. Originally filmed and released in three installments of two parts each, the nine-and-a-half-hour The Human Condition, adapted from Junpei Gomikawa’s six-volume novel, tells of the journey of the well-intentioned yet naive Kaji—played by the Japanese superstar Tatsuya Nakadai—from labor camp supervisor to Imperial Army soldier to Soviet prisoner of war. Constantly trying to rise above a corrupt system, Kaji time and again finds his morals to be an impediment rather than an advantage. A raw indictment of Japan’s wartime mentality as well as a personal existential tragedy, Kobayashi’s riveting, gorgeously filmed epic is novelistic cinema at its best.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »