Boutique Blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Boutique Blu-ray

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:18 am ^ Arrow and 88 Films seem to be splitting the Shaw Brothers movies between themselves. Two is better than one, baby!

Criterion just announced their terrific October slate, including Onibaba and The Incredible Shrinking Man!
Two is not better for my wallet :/ but super stoked for Onibaba!
mikelcho wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:26 am Happy to help out, I...guess? Now I'm wondering if I should keep the two I have or upgrade them both if I can.

Btw, what films are in this first Shaw Brothers collection you mentioned? Does it include the two I have?
https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/s ... ay/FCD2076
That's the Arrow one, and it does feature the Venoms movies, plus Peking Man! They've got this early bird price, 110£ for like 12 films. Not sure what that translates to in dollars if you're in the States, but it's gotta be a pretty nice deal for all those films. Plus, look at that package!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:38 am Two is not better for my wallet :/
Mine neither!

I'll manage, though!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:38 am
Angilasman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:18 am ^ Arrow and 88 Films seem to be splitting the Shaw Brothers movies between themselves. Two is better than one, baby!

Criterion just announced their terrific October slate, including Onibaba and The Incredible Shrinking Man!
Two is not better for my wallet :/ but super stoked for Onibaba!
mikelcho wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:26 am Happy to help out, I...guess? Now I'm wondering if I should keep the two I have or upgrade them both if I can.

Btw, what films are in this first Shaw Brothers collection you mentioned? Does it include the two I have?
https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/s ... ay/FCD2076
That's the Arrow one, and it does feature the Venoms movies, plus Peking Man! They've got this early bird price, 110£ for like 12 films. Not sure what that translates to in dollars if you're in the States, but it's gotta be a pretty nice deal for all those films. Plus, look at that package!
Do you know if Arrow Video U.S. might be releasing these films individually as well as in a box set?

Btw, I am in the U.S. - Florida, to be exact.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ There are rumors that some of the films that Arrow has the license for in the US but not the UK will receive single releases, as the set and any subsequent sets need to be consistent in the US and UK. As for singles of the films in the set? I wouldn't count on it, but a cheaper version of the set with smaller packaging and no books and other physical extras is probable.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

I really don't like Arrow doing all these box sets, stuff like Peking Man and Giant Claw being locked to an expensive box set is a shame.
Double features would be a better solution in my book so you don't pay that much extra for movies that you didn't really want in the first place
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Been waiting for Onibaba from Criterion for more than a while now - Kuroneko was one of the first Criterions I ever picked up.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Purzel2205 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:35 am I really don't like Arrow doing all these box sets, stuff like Peking Man and Giant Claw being locked to an expensive box set is a shame.
Double features would be a better solution in my book so you don't pay that much extra for movies that you didn't really want in the first place
Seems we're really in the "box set" era of home video. As the market turned to suit collectors major releases become mini collections unto themselves.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Purzel2205 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:35 am I really don't like Arrow doing all these box sets, stuff like Peking Man and Giant Claw being locked to an expensive box set is a shame.
Strategically it probably makes sense for them. While fewer people may buy any one of the titles in these sets, more people would be theoretically interested in at least some of the movies included and make the purchase. Doesn't mean you have to like it but I assume that's the logic.

Plus, with the steady decline of physical media, we'll probably see things shift away from being centered on low prices and more on a comprehensive release (packaging, on-disc content, extra features like booklets or photos, etc). Not right away and not 100%, but we'll probably see it happen more as the people left buying physical media will increasingly be people particularly interested in that title, are movie collectors, or a combination.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's coming so fast and furious I'm writing down what I've pre-ordered to make sure I have it all straight! It's never been this heavy before, for me.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't care that we're getting sets; really, I kind of prefer it that way, as it provides incentive to buy and watch movies I might pass up otherwise. I wasn't aware of the other three films in the Sam Katzman set, for example, and it might have stayed that way if they weren't packaged with The Giant Claw.

What does irritate me is when we get some bulky, oversized packaging for these sets. I want something that easily fits in with my standard Blu-rays on a shelf, not a huge book I have to keep behind my TV for lack of anywhere to display it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:03 pm I don't care that we're getting sets; really, I kind of prefer it that way, as it provides incentive to buy and watch movies I might pass up otherwise. I wasn't aware of the other three films in the Sam Katzman set, for example, and it might have stayed that way if they weren't packaged with The Giant Claw.

What does irritate me is when we get some bulky, oversized packaging for these sets. I want something that easily fits in with my standard Blu-rays on a shelf, not a huge book I have to keep behind my TV for lack of anywhere to display it.
Agreed!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Failed to pick up Shout Factory's Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78 release before it went OOP - thankfully KINO has acquired it and will be putting out a UHD/BR release!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The special features for the Kolchak: The Night Stalker complete series is crazy. Interviews, commentary on every episode, remastering all the original TV spots, a booklet. It's insane.

KINO has always been a great label. They go back decades like Criterion, but they really seem to be killing it now. They're picking up a lot if high profile movies Shout has released and then have gone OOP, now putting 'em out on UHDs. Hope the Pink Panther movies are on the docket; I missed Shout's boxset.
Last edited by Angilasman on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Who put out the BD of Robojox? I’m still kicking myself for missing out on that since it now goes for $100+ on the aftermarket. I’m very much hoping someone releases it again on BD or 4K.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 pm Who put out the BD of Robojox? I’m still kicking myself for missing out on that since it now goes for $100+ on the aftermarket. I’m very much hoping someone releases it again on BD or 4K.
Shout Factory. I'm in the same boat, really mad I missed out on that. Robot Jox is great but not worth a Benjamin.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Apparently the rumors and reports are abound that Criterion may finally begin releasing 4K discs soon...and that apparently the film that may be their first 4K disc release celebrates a pretty big anniversary this year.

I don't keep in the circles of "What is on the Criterion radar" so I cannot imagine what it may be.

I do know that the original Dracula is 90 years old this year...and that for WHATEVER reason Universal themselves still hasn't announced any kind of 4K disc release for that film, which is a shame because it seems like such an obvious win to release that in October.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The prevailing rumor is Citizen Kane as it was one of Criterion’s very first releases back on Laserdisc and they’ve had the rights since 2016, apparently.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The original Kong has also gone OOP on Blu-ray. Wouldn't surprise me if Criterion also had that in store - like Kane, it was one of their early laserdiscs.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm The prevailing rumor is Citizen Kane as it was one of Criterion’s very first releases back on Laserdisc and they’ve had the rights since 2016, apparently.
Oh, that seems almost too much of a slam dunk to not do it. It would be VERY VERY interesting if Criterion considered starting a new line of numbering for their 4K spines...going back to #1. I think they did that for DVD(which eventually rolled into Blu Ray) and for some of their other off-shoot labels. It would be interesting if they branded their 4K releases as some specialty "premium" label above their main line of spines...or simply decided to restart with the new format.
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm The original Kong has also gone OOP on Blu-ray. Wouldn't surprise me if Criterion also had that in store - like Kane, it was one of their early laserdiscs.
That would be cool to see. I would have expected whoever has the current rights to that one(Not sure if WB or Universal) to go for something like that THIS year with the Godzilla vs Kong release...but it seems that GvK ultimately didn't inspire any new kind of wave of Godzilla or Kong releases. Also a decent chance the lockdowns kept/prevented Studios from pursuing "tie-ins" like that as much as they normally might have in other circumstances.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm The prevailing rumor is Citizen Kane as it was one of Criterion’s very first releases back on Laserdisc and they’ve had the rights since 2016, apparently.
Oh, that seems almost too much of a slam dunk to not do it. It would be VERY VERY interesting if Criterion considered starting a new line of numbering for their 4K spines...going back to #1. I think they did that for DVD(which eventually rolled into Blu Ray) and for some of their other off-shoot labels. It would be interesting if they branded their 4K releases as some specialty "premium" label above their main line of spines...or simply decided to restart with the new format.
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm The original Kong has also gone OOP on Blu-ray. Wouldn't surprise me if Criterion also had that in store - like Kane, it was one of their early laserdiscs.
That would be cool to see. I would have expected whoever has the current rights to that one(Not sure if WB or Universal) to go for something like that THIS year with the Godzilla vs Kong release...but it seems that GvK ultimately didn't inspire any new kind of wave of Godzilla or Kong releases. Also a decent chance the lockdowns kept/prevented Studios from pursuing "tie-ins" like that as much as they normally might have in other circumstances.
I wouldn't say there's been no new wave of Godzilla or Kong releases...the toys are all out there in stores (btw, how are they selling?).