Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Movies that could USE a reboot/remake

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 am
I understand that most of you are skeptical that such a plan could work, but is it a crime if I beg to differ? It would indeed be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its time, though not necessarily impossible. In order to work, such a project would require and honest and competent director and/or writer(s) who will know what they’re doing and I believe all will be well. If such a film did turn out well, it would be an uphill battle against an avalanche.
Yeah, but who's gonna do that? Who at Toho would bother hiring people to just remake a film already pretty well done, especially since them just making new different films have worked for the past couple decades? There's absolutely nothing that would support Toho doing this decision, so there's no point of it happening.

And honestly, those new characters spew "unneeded add ons"
Then I guess there’s no point in having this thread, yet alone any remake/reboot at all.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:26 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 am
I understand that most of you are skeptical that such a plan could work, but is it a crime if I beg to differ? It would indeed be a daunting task to re-capture what made the original film work back in its time, though not necessarily impossible. In order to work, such a project would require and honest and competent director and/or writer(s) who will know what they’re doing and I believe all will be well. If such a film did turn out well, it would be an uphill battle against an avalanche.
Yeah, but who's gonna do that? Who at Toho would bother hiring people to just remake a film already pretty well done, especially since them just making new different films have worked for the past couple decades? There's absolutely nothing that would support Toho doing this decision, so there's no point of it happening.

Then I guess there’s no point in having this thread, yet alone any remake/reboot at all.
Uh...what? If anything this theeas proves there is some film that deserves a redo, just that Godzilla isn't one of them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:26 am

Uh...what? If anything this theeas proves there is some film that deserves a redo, just that Godzilla isn't one of them.

To answer your question “Yeah, but who’s gonna do it?”, that’s simple : Anyone who can handle a project buy putting heart and effort in it and who can handle it with care and affection for the original. Even if it does not hold up to the original that still doesn’t mean it can’t potentially be a good film in its own right. King Kong 2005 is by no means a perfect film, but you have to give it credit for being a remake that fits the aforementioned criteria. Someone else tried to call me out on my suggestion for new characters. Don’t worry, as long as the hypothetical remake’s filmmakers work hard to not make them a distraction, balance them out with the old characters and most importantly make them likeable and interesting.

Speaking of characters, I will like to address another issue people have with my idea : that being actors. Why is it that when any fictional character debuts in any medium besides film, audiences are open to anyone playing them, yet when they do audiences only accept the original actors who played them in the first place?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:07 am To answer your question “Yeah, but who’s gonna do it?”, that’s simple : Anyone who can handle a project buy putting heart and effort in it and who can handle it with care and affection for the original. Even if it does not hold up to the original that still doesn’t mean it can’t potentially be a good film in its own right. King Kong 2005 is by no means a perfect film, but you have to give it credit for being a remake that fits the aforementioned criteria. Someone else tried to call me out on my suggestion for new characters. Don’t worry, as long as the hypothetical remake’s filmmakers work hard to not make them a distraction, balance them out with the old characters and most importantly make them likeable and interesting.

Speaking of characters, I will like to address another issue people have with my idea : that being actors. Why is it that when any fictional character debuts in any medium besides film, audiences are open to anyone playing them, yet when they do audiences only accept the original actors who played them in the first place?
1. Any big Godzilla fan can put there love and affection for the original series.. it's happened plenty of times. And they all did it with different films that didn't need to remake 54.
2. Okay what? There's no skreoonking way anyone from the original would even come back for this, i have no idea why you brought this up. I didn't even bring it up when i saw your idea!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^As for #1, would it make any difference if it was? And for #2, are you assuming that I’m suggesting they magically de-age Takarada and resurrect the rest of the cast?

At the end of the day, some ideas need to be met with open minds more often.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 am, edited 7 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 am
As a pretty open minded guy, i can still say some ideas just can't work. This is one of them.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Personally I'm not against remaking the original Godzilla, but...more interesting to me than remaking the film is revisiting it. I'm thinking of a different plot with different characters who just happen to take place during the events of the first movie. A side story that doesn't try to compete or contradict the original.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:16 pm Personally I'm not against remaking the original Godzilla, but...more interesting to me than remaking the film is revisiting it. I'm thinking of a different plot with different characters who just happen to take place during the events of the first movie. A side story that doesn't try to compete or contradict the original.
Like the first issue of IDW, and James Stoke's GODZILLA:The Half-Century War which dealt with a tank commander, and his best bud encountering the Big-G when the beast first hit Tokyo in 1954. Excellent book by the way.

CANNONBALL RUN . A franchise I thought could be rebooted, relaunched, and had read once or twice was being looked to be remade a few years back by director Guy Ritche, with George Clooney starring. Watching the fourth entry to The Fast & The Furious franchise a few years ago, and the seemingly unstoppable nature of the series. I didn't think it was too far out there that a-udiences would be game for a more comedic take on illegal street racing with a whole ensemble cast of comedic talent. Seth Rogan. Adam Sandler. Johnny Knoxville. Bradley Cooper. Jeff Galifinkis. Paul Rudd. And other fan favorites.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

xMx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:44 pm I don't get the hate for remakes and reboots they are awesome! How cool is it to see modern effects on a 50 year old movie?
A lot of people don't like when it's pointed out that John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake. There's plenty of value in remakes and reboots. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was a great reboot for Batman. The two King Kong remakes and recent MonsterVerse reboot have all been fun movies even if they can't reach the pinnacle of the original. The Heisei, Millenium, MonsterVerse, and Shin reboots of Godzilla have been great for this Godzilla fan. Dracula has had a number of great remakes/reboots over the past century, Sherlock Holmes too. James Bond is still around and kicking ass. Tarzan had a fun movie a few years back, and the late 90s/early 00's animated version was great. And I enjoyed that last Halloween movie for what it was very much.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Though some movies needs to be left alone like Jaws.

Especially given they'll be using is a CGI shark.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

xMx wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm Yes exactly some of the best movies are remakes and that can still happen! Wanting to see the same thing isn't usually bad. Now that you mention it The Thing would be a good remake. Perhaps other sci-fi classics like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or The Blob.
Eh, I wouldn't remake The Thing again, if only because the last remake was still pretty recent and not met well. A sequel, prequel, or parody maybe, but I'd have to give it more time for another remake.
Wasn't there an Invasion of the Body Snatchers back in the 90s or something?
Blob I could see. There's been about as much time and leaps in technology between now and the last remake in the 80s as there was between that and the 50s original (finally saw both versions last year).
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm Though some movies needs to be left alone like Jaws.

Especially given they'll be using is a CGI shark.
I disagree. I think that Jaws is a perfectly target for a remake. Do I think it'll happen? No. Do I think it'll be good if it did? Probably not. But...I don't see any reason not to do it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm
xMx wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm Yes exactly some of the best movies are remakes and that can still happen! Wanting to see the same thing isn't usually bad. Now that you mention it The Thing would be a good remake. Perhaps other sci-fi classics like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or The Blob.
Eh, I wouldn't remake The Thing again, if only because the last remake was still pretty recent and not met well.
Maybe in 1982 it wasn't met well, but it's since become regarded as one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

Granted, that alone makes a remake pretty iffy. Especially if the 2011 prequel is anything to go by.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Eh, I wouldn't remake The Thing again, if only because the last remake was still pretty recent and not met well.
Maybe in 1982 it wasn't met well, but it's since become regarded as one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

Granted, that alone makes a remake pretty iffy. Especially if the 2011 prequel is anything to go by.
I meant the 2011 movie - I always forget it's supposed to be a prequel and not a remake...
(my defense, I only saw it once, wasn't impressed, and having the same name as the movie it's supposed to be a prequel of doesn't help)

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

xMx wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 pm
Wasn't there an Invasion of the Body Snatchers back in the 90s or something?
Yes but I don't see how that is a problem remakes get made in shorter spans of time than that. The beast from 20000 fathoms could use a remake since it seems godzilla took a hint from it.
Yes, Beast is definitely one of the better American giant monster/kaiju films that could use a remake. And it's still a good monster design.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 am I'm already against this idea for the same reason Gigantis explained but this part in particular offends me
LegendZilla wrote:addition, perhaps a few minor characters could include friends of the classic characters who get killed in Godzilla’s rampage, allowing them to be directly affected by the carnage that unfolds.
This is the laziest way to make the audience care about something in the film and one of the best things about the 1954 film and the rest of the franchise is they've avoided it for so long.
This. Plus, in my opinion, remakes/reboots should only be done for films that weren't good the first time and could use revitalization, or I guess you could remake one that was actually good if you could put a unique enough spin on it, like Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. RoboCop is one of the last films that ever needed a remake and now The Exorcist is getting one despite it being an all-time horror classic. There's no unique way to revisit the movie that we haven't seen in other more recent horror films. The Thing is also getting another remake, that also has all the looks of an inferior cash grab. Blumhouse only spends $5-10 mil tops and there's no way they can top or even come close to matching the original in quality with all the practical effects used, which were simply amazing.

What next? A remake of Die Hard? Oh poop, I shouldn't have said that. Don't give Disney ideas!
As long as we never, ever get a remake of Alien, I'm good.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:19 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 am I'm already against this idea for the same reason Gigantis explained but this part in particular offends me

This is the laziest way to make the audience care about something in the film and one of the best things about the 1954 film and the rest of the franchise is they've avoided it for so long.
This. Plus, in my opinion, remakes/reboots should only be done for films that weren't good the first time and could use revitalization, or I guess you could remake one that was actually good if you could put a unique enough spin on it, like Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. RoboCop is one of the last films that ever needed a remake and now The Exorcist is getting one despite it being an all-time horror classic. There's no unique way to revisit the movie that we haven't seen in other more recent horror films. The Thing is also getting another remake, that also has all the looks of an inferior cash grab. Blumhouse only spends $5-10 mil tops and there's no way they can top or even come close to matching the original in quality with all the practical effects used, which were simply amazing.

What next? A remake of Die Hard? Oh poop, I shouldn't have said that. Don't give Disney ideas!
Life was kinda that, and that was pretty good.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:21 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Life was kinda that, and that was pretty good.
I saw it as a mix of Alien and Gravity myself.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Seth Mcfarlane wants to reboot The Naked Gun films with Liam Neeson.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:37 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 am
As a pretty open minded guy, i can still say some ideas just can't work. This is one of them.
Please, don't act as if you know so.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's another idea and It's quite possibly the most controversial one imaginable, right up with the idea of remaking Godzilla 1954 : One day they should give a hard Star Wars reboot a chance. For those of you opposed to such an idea, how would it be any different than let's say giving Godzilla constant reboots or different comic book heroes? I think the Star Wars canon as it is is subject to one to many faults such as not planning ahead and other inconsistencies just to name a few to go on forever. I am not saying it should happen any time soon, but maybe at least once in our lifetime.