Worst movie director of all time

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Who is the worst movie director of all time?

Uwe Boll
37%
Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg
12%
Michael Bay
2%
Roland Emmerich
7%
M. Night Shyamalan
8%
Eli Roth
No votes
Tom Six
3%
Zack Snyder
2%
Paul W.S. Anderson
No votes
Other
29%

Total votes: 59

UltramanGoji

Re: Worst movie director of all time

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote:By much of the logic displayed here, I could say Ishiro Honda is the worst director of all time, considering he made Varan, Godzilla's Revenge and Space Amoeba, despite having a few good films under his belt.
No but that's different because cool monster

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

MaxRebo320 wrote:By much of the logic displayed here, I could say Ishiro Honda is the worst director of all time, considering he made Varan, Godzilla's Revenge and Space Amoeba, despite having a few good films under his belt.
You've got to be kidding...

Ed Wood, hands down. Plan 9 from Outer Space is HILARIOUSLY bad...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Well, yeah. He was intentionally using a ludicrous example.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

MandaSaurus wrote:You've got to be kidding...
No, I'm serious. I only joined Toho Kingdom to talk about the only good Godzilla movie, directed by Motoyoshi Oda.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

MandaSaurus wrote:

RIP Evan.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Coleman Francis might just be the worst of all time
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Coleman Francis might just be the worst of all time
I mean, technically speaking, B movie directors like Coleman Francis, Phil Tucker and, of course, Ed Wood are probably the worst but at least their films are so bad they’re entertaining. I think the worst director dishonor should go to a director who helms big budget films and does a horrible job. Like Shane Black.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think there were actually worse filmmakers whose movies were featured on MST3K.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I mean, technically speaking, B movie directors like Coleman Francis, Phil Tucker and, of course, Ed Wood are probably the worst but at least their films are so bad they’re entertaining. I think the worst director dishonor should go to a director who helms big budget films and does a horrible job. Like Shane Black.
I don't know about that. Nothing happens in Skydivers, Red Zone Cuba is so drab that I barely remember it, and the Beast of Yucca Flats is only memorable because of how incomprehensible it is. Not a single of Coleman Francis' films are so bad they're entertaining imo. They're just bad.

For so bad it's entertaining I'd say Suburban Sasquatch is a good example. https://youtu.be/XAUeYl3DBgQ

I do agree with the Shane Black comment though. Has he ever made a good movie?
Terasawa wrote:
I think there were actually worse filmmakers whose movies were featured on MST3K.
tHe MASTER dOeS nOt aPpRoVe oF sUcH dEvIcEs

Whoever directed the back half of Monster a Go Go certainly deserves a nod.
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:I do agree with the Shane Black comment though. Has he made a good movie?
I guess The Nice Guys was okay. Iron Man 3 and The Predator are both unspeakably horrible though.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

I was actually thinking of the man I nominated earlier in the thread: Larry "He Just Didn't Care" Buchanan.

You can say a lot of bad things about Francis' films, but I think he had was a vision. He may not have been able to convey that vision well on the silver screen but that's more than I can say for Buchanan, whose most notable movies were just soulless, cheap remakes with no artistic merit whatsoever.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Terasawa wrote:
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

I was actually thinking of the man I nominated earlier in the thread: Larry "He Just Didn't Care" Buchanan.

You can say a lot of bad things about Francis' films, but I think he had was a vision. He may not have been able to convey that vision well on the silver screen but that's more than I can say for Buchanan, whose most notable movies were just soulless, cheap remakes with no artistic merit whatsoever.
I completely forgot about Attack of the Eye Creatures. The monsters with the sneakers and the clothing. Touché

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Glen Morgan directed the Black Christmas remake. He and Wong are frequent writing collaborators, but Wong only has one of the 15 or so producing credits on that particular movie.
I guess Glenn Morgan is the worst director then
I haven't seen his Black Christmas remake (curiosity may get the best of me eventually, but the trailers and word of mouth have never been promising), but I thought his version of Willard was quite good.
I liked Willard (2003) [second version], too. It's one of the few films in my home video collection that I've upgraded from DVD to Blu-ray.

I've also got Willard (1971) [first version] and its sequel, Ben (1972) both on DVD/Blu-ray combos (the three of them are from Shout! Factory) and I'd like to try to get Kiss of the Tarantula (1976) on Blu-ray as well. The only one that's left of the films in the "a social misfit uses his/her large group of trained animal friends to kill his/her enemies" horror subgenre that needs a Blu-ray release by now is Stanley (1972), but, as far as I know, that one hasn't been done - yet.

I'm also going to try to get the novel that started it all, Ratman's Notebooks by Stephen Gibert, and Ben by Michael Jackson (in the case of the second one, assuming it's still in print and on CD).
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:44 am, edited 11 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Uwe Boll, because the way that he reacts to criticism. Yes I know there are bad directors that did talk shit on the critics but you don’t see them inviting them to a boxing match because they say something mean about their film

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As bad as Emmerich and Sommers can be they don't even remotely compare to Uwe Boll. At least they have one or two decent films under their belt. Uwe Boll has absolutely none. Same with Shane Black, not to mention all the classic films he helped write.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

None of these choices can match the piece of human slime that was Vic Savage of The Creeping Terror infamy.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:39 pm None of these choices can match the piece of human slime that was Vic Savage of The Creeping Terror infamy.
Who is he, and what he did?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:01 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:39 pm None of these choices can match the piece of human slime that was Vic Savage of The Creeping Terror infamy.
Who is he, and what he did?
His movie, The Creeping Terror was featured on MST3K. They even made a mock-documentary of his life.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I don't know why everyone is saying Iron Man 3 is some atrocious movie that is an example of not one good movie under Shane Black. Yeah it's not the best mcu movie and does not follow lore of the Mandarian, but from a film standpoint it's not a bad film. It's competently paced, all of the actors do a good job, the plot isn't super incoherent, gives closure to Tony's heart problems arc, and we got to see Tony Stark at his full potential with the Iron Legion. It still has decent reviews from movie critics and the general public. It's not an example of a bad movie for Shane Black (granted maybe the flaws are his fault).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:14 pm I don't know why everyone is saying Iron Man 3 is some atrocious movie that is an example of not one good movie under Shane Black. Yeah it's not the best mcu movie and does not follow lore of the Mandarian, but from a film standpoint it's not a bad film. It's competently paced, all of the actors do a good job, the plot isn't super incoherent, gives closure to Tony's heart problems arc, and we got to see Tony Stark at his full potential with the Iron Legion. It still has decent reviews from movie critics and the general public. It's not an example of a bad movie for Shane Black (granted maybe the flaws are his fault).
I unapologetically and wholeheartedly hate Iron man 3.