Worst movie director of all time

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Who is the worst movie director of all time?

Uwe Boll
37%
Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg
12%
Michael Bay
2%
Roland Emmerich
7%
M. Night Shyamalan
8%
Eli Roth
No votes
Tom Six
3%
Zack Snyder
2%
Paul W.S. Anderson
No votes
Other
29%

Total votes: 59

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Worst movie director of all time

Post by Maritonic »

o.supreme wrote:Darren Aronofsky, I picked *other* since that option wasn't available.
This seems a rather...unpopular choice. Why do you think he's so bad?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Maritonic wrote:
o.supreme wrote:Darren Aronofsky, I picked *other* since that option wasn't available.
This seems a rather...unpopular choice. Why do you think he's so bad?
I could go into a very lengthy discussion, but let's just say...his belief system and mine are...different. But when he chooses to venture into areas he seemingly knows little about and it gets called *art*, I just find that unsettling. I know he has his fans, and if they enjoy his work, that is fine. The Wrestler and Black Swan (which are more prestigue pictures and steer away from his personal views) seem to be the only films in his filmography that are pretty well liked. All the others have mixed-to-low reviews, and even lower audience scores, so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

o.supreme wrote:The Wrestler and Black Swan (which are more prestigue pictures and steer away from his personal views) seem to be the only films in his filmography that are pretty well liked. All the others have mixed-to-low reviews, and even lower audience scores, so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Huh. I remember both Pi and Requiem for a Dream receiving pretty stellar reviews at the time, and they're both movies that I still frequently hear people bringing up as all-time favorites.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

I'll say it: Gareth Edwards.

Uwe Boll and Friedman/Seltzer may have hashed out some stinkers, but a director who cranked out a woefully unentertaining filmography and yet still sees himself as some sort of auteur who can pull off posthumanist twists on Spielbergian tropes, is orders of magnitude worse.

Monsters failed to elicit any sense of tension or terror, and was about as visually stimulating as dryer lint.

G'14 had anemic action scenes and human characters that had the emotional depth of bath water, flaws which are further exemplified by the fact that KOTM fixed virtually all of its shortcoming and is exponentially better as a result.

Rogue One also suffered from piss-poor characterization, in addition to its plot moving at approximately the speed of a tectonic plate. Its only redeeming quality is a combined 4 minutes of one (arguably two) somewhat entertaining scenes.

The man can come up with cool ideas, but I could count on one hand the number of minutes of his combined films that can actually entertain me.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gareth's never been my favorite,but i wouldn't even put him at the top 1 worst,let alone top 5. i do agree his films have certainly been lackluster though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Godzilla 2014 was average to meh, certainly not a horrible film. I actually enjoy Rogue One the most of the recent disney SW films. It's the only one that evokes the true feeling of SW for me at least.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:I'll say it: Gareth Edwards.

Uwe Boll and Friedman/Seltzer may have hashed out some stinkers, but a director who cranked out a woefully unentertaining filmography and yet still sees himself as some sort of auteur who can pull off posthumanist twists on Spielbergian tropes, is orders of magnitude worse.
Funny you should say that, Boll does the same thing. Uwe Boll has compared himself to directors Sergio Leone and David Lynch, saying his POS movies are good and blamed their lack of success on "dumb audiences". He even sent the screenwriters for Alone in the Dark copies of his films after signing on, eager to impress them with his work and then lectured them on how to "properly" write a script because they didn't include a detective with superpowers, CGI dog monsters, pointless gun fights and gratuitous sex scenes.

Real bold coming from a guy who cast Tara Reid as a scientist.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Neil Breen is the next Tommy Wiseau :lol:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Rogue One also suffered from piss-poor characterization, in addition to its plot moving at approximately the speed of a tectonic plate. Its only redeeming quality is a combined 4 minutes of one (arguably two) somewhat entertaining scenes.
You hit the nail right on the head for me with this one.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If you think Gareth Edwards is the worst director of all time then you should feel privileged to have never seen any really bad movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Terasawa wrote:If you think Gareth Edwards is the worst director of all time then you should feel privileged to have never seen any really bad movies.
No kidding. I'd rather watch each of his movies on repeat than have to sit through another Boll or Seltzberg movie ever again.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

^ At least I can enjoy riffing on Boll/Seltzberg movies with a friend and a dimebag.

Gareth's films are just so bland and vacuous that I can't even have fun doing that. It's virtually impossible to make them entertaining.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Colin Trevorrow, never have I seen such a boring hack and a super pretentious writer who thinks he's writing the most deep and profound stories for films, he ruined the Jurassic films so I have a bone to pick with him for ruining something that is near and dear to me.

Say what you want about Gareth Edwards, Michael Bay or Uwe Boll, but they are infinitely more entertaining than Trevorrow because even they have some merit to them, Trevorrow is bland and tries way too hard to be smart, no wonder Book of Henry failed and he got fired off of Star Wars episode 9. I'm not excited for Jurassic World 3 because he's returning to direct it and the writer of Pacific Rim: Uprising is writing it so there goes all hope.

I could go on about Trevorrow forever, the guy sets up dinosaurs destroying cities in Fallen Kingdom but then in interviews he said that won't happen in Jurassic World 3, then why build it up in the first place??! Seriously this guy needs to be fired and he got lucky with the first Jurassic World movie, which was just cashing in on nostalgia.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

AllosaurHell wrote:Colin Trevorrow, never have I seen such a boring hack and a super pretentious writer who thinks he's writing the most deep and profound stories for films, he ruined the Jurassic films so I have a bone to pick with him for ruining something that is near and dear to me.

Say what you want about Gareth Edwards, Michael Bay or Uwe Boll, but they are infinitely more entertaining than Trevorrow because even they have some merit to them, Trevorrow is bland and tries way too hard to be smart, no wonder Book of Henry failed and he got fired off of Star Wars episode 9. I'm not excited for Jurassic World 3 because he's returning to direct it and the writer of Pacific Rim: Uprising is writing it so there goes all hope.

I could go on about Trevorrow forever, the guy sets up dinosaurs destroying cities in Fallen Kingdom but then in interviews he said that won't happen in Jurassic World 3, then why build it up in the first place??! Seriously this guy needs to be fired and he got lucky with the first Jurassic World movie, which was just cashing in on nostalgia.

To be fair, you can also blame Hollywood for rushing him so fast. That and Universal never had a plan of what to do with this franchise after TLW. Add in how Spielberg has lost his touch, and you have more then enough blame to go around.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:Colin Trevorrow, never have I seen such a boring hack and a super pretentious writer who thinks he's writing the most deep and profound stories for films, he ruined the Jurassic films so I have a bone to pick with him for ruining something that is near and dear to me.

To be fair, you can also blame Hollywood for rushing him so fast. That and Universal never had a plan of what to do with this franchise after TLW. Add in how Spielberg has lost his touch, and you have more then enough blame to go around.
So true about Spielberg losing his magic touch, RPO barely felt like Spielberg made it or was really passionate about it, I'm also shocked at how bland the color palette was for that film. I think Spielberg should just retire.

To be honest, the Jurassic World films proved to me that there isn't much to do with the series, especially if the studio and Spielberg keep putting restrictions, I personally wanted to see human-dinosaur hybrids like in the unmade Jurassic Park 4.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

AllosaurHell wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

So true about Spielberg losing his magic touch, RPO barely felt like Spielberg made it or was really passionate about it, I'm also shocked at how bland the color palette was for that film. I think Spielberg should just retire.

To be honest, the Jurassic World films proved to me that there isn't much to do with the series, especially if the studio and Spielberg keep putting restrictions, I personally wanted to see human-dinosaur hybrids like in the unmade Jurassic Park 4.
I think there is potential, but the franchise needs to go to another movie studio (WB) and needs fresh blood for it to be realized.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think there is potential, but the franchise needs to go to another movie studio (WB) and needs fresh blood for it to be realized.
Personally, I'd reboot it and erase the Jurassic World films from canon. I find the I. rex to be a dull and underwhelming villain which I know is an unpopular opinion and it's sad because I was actually excited to see it.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Tommy should have been in the poll tbh
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

He's only made the Jurassic World films, though. Hard to call him the worst when you have that on your resume as opposed to, I don't know, House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, Dungeon Seige, Postal, Blackwoods, Sanctimony, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck, Starving Games, etc.

Boll and Seltzberg have never made anything remotely close to resembling a decent film in their lives, and they never will, especially since Boll left the business altogether since he can no longer exploit the German tax loophole when his shitty films flop.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:He's only made the Jurassic World films, though.
And Safety Not Guaranteed, and The Book of Henry (which is probably the one for which he is more consistently and harshly derided).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.