Worst movie director of all time

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Who is the worst movie director of all time?

Uwe Boll
37%
Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg
12%
Michael Bay
2%
Roland Emmerich
7%
M. Night Shyamalan
8%
Eli Roth
No votes
Tom Six
3%
Zack Snyder
2%
Paul W.S. Anderson
No votes
Other
29%

Total votes: 59

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Worst movie director of all time

Post by G2000 »

Fish Cakes wrote:I wasn't speaking for budget, I was saying the literal size of what the movie was about. Kaiju are big, there's going to be big scenes, shots, moments, lots of on-screen action, and there should be some compelling characters. Stuff like that.

He made a couple of (really good) campy holiday-themed horror movies with off-screen deaths.
Oh, I know, and that’s what I meant. A lot of these directors get plucked from small-scale TV shows or indie film and get put into large-scale SFX-heavy blockbusters with wildly differing tones from their previous work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but it seems to be the way a lot of studios are doing things now.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

Joel Schumacher, because Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. Almost everything he touches turns to garbage.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Extreme Warhawk wrote:Joel Schumacher, because Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. Almost everything he touches turns to garbage.
Those are, indeed, bad movies.

But he also gave us St. Elmo's Fire, The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, 8mm... Hardly movies to dismiss as "garbage."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Marc Smith and Sompote Sands because Space Warriors 2000.

RIP Evan.

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

eabaker wrote:
Extreme Warhawk wrote:Joel Schumacher, because Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. Almost everything he touches turns to garbage.

But he also gave us St. Elmo's Fire, The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, 8mm... Hardly movies to dismiss as "garbage."
Which is why I said almost.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Marc Smith and Sompote Sands because Space Warriors 2000.
That is a damn lie. Sompote's work is unusual, but pretty fascinating. Certainly a contender for weirdest director of all time, but hardly the worst. Like, I'd call Magic Lizard a competently-made movie about a guy in a lizard costume getting pooped on by an ox.
Extreme Warhawk wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Which is why I said almost.
So that doesn't make him the worst then.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Not voting unless good ol Tommy is on there
Forgot about Tommy Wiseau, my bad.

Still, I consider The Room to be another one of those "so bad it's good/funny" movies as do many. That movie has MANY quotable lines for all the wrong reasons, like this one:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It also spawned an entire movie to be made about its production (The Disaster Artist), can't take that away from it, either.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Glad someone beat me to Shane Black. Iron Man 3 is the worst MCU movie by far and The Predator is one of the worst movies ever made. Not only are Shane Black's movies absolute trash, but I hate the way he portrays mental illness in his films. First he used Tony Stark's panic attacks as a joke in Iron Man 3, then he claimed people with autism are evolved mutants in The Predator. I hate Roland Emmerich's movies about as much, but at least he doesn't mishandle mental illness like Shane Black.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Glad someone beat me to Shane Black. Iron Man 3 is the worst MCU movie by far and The Predator is one of the worst movies ever made. Not only are Shane Black's movies absolute trash, but I hate the way he portrays mental illness in his films. First he used Tony Stark's panic attacks as a joke in Iron Man 3, then he claimed people with autism are evolved mutants in The Predator. I hate Roland Emmerich's movies about as much, but at least he doesn't mishandle mental illness like Shane Black.
He did make The Nice Guys, though, that probably absolves him from being the worst ever.

The Predator WAS garbage, though, no argument there. Little fun fact: he actually starred a convicted pedophile in the movie. I guess The Predator title rings true then, seeing how he had an ACTUAL predator in the film at one point (no pun intended).
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

David Decoteau started off making fun B to C leave movies like Creepazoids, Puppet Master 2 & 3 and Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Now, he just sets in his home, putting the bare minimum of effort into what I can barely call movies. Boring crap like A Talking Cat? and the 1313 movies.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

KManX89 wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Glad someone beat me to Shane Black. Iron Man 3 is the worst MCU movie by far and The Predator is one of the worst movies ever made. Not only are Shane Black's movies absolute trash, but I hate the way he portrays mental illness in his films. First he used Tony Stark's panic attacks as a joke in Iron Man 3, then he claimed people with autism are evolved mutants in The Predator. I hate Roland Emmerich's movies about as much, but at least he doesn't mishandle mental illness like Shane Black.
He did make The Nice Guys, though, that probably absolves him from being the worst ever.

The Predator WAS garbage, though, no argument there. Little fun fact: he actually starred a convicted pedophile in the movie. I guess The Predator title rings true then, seeing how he had an ACTUAL predator in the film at one point (no pun intended).
Yeah, The Nice Guys is pretty good. Deliberately didn't mention it because I didn't want to give Shane Black any credit. But yeah, he's a definite scumbag, doesn't even surprise me that he was buddies with a pedophile, then immediately "discovered new evidence" and cut ties with him as soon as the media called him out.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

JJ Abrams.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shane Black's franchise films might be awfully polarizing but both his original films are pretty highly regarded by film aficionados. Not too mention writing action classics The Last Boyscout and Lethal Weapon. You could say he's just a terrible writer though as IM3 and The Predator's probably come from the script not the actual direction. Even then knowing he wrote Lethal Weapon proves that's not entirely the case either.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Has Derek Savage been mentioned here at all?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Shane Black's franchise films might be awfully polarizing but both his original films are pretty highly regarded by film aficionados. Not too mention writing action classics The Last Boyscout and Lethal Weapon. You could say he's just a terrible writer though as IM3 and The Predator's probably come from the script not the actual direction. Even then knowing he wrote Lethal Weapon proves that's not entirely the case either.
You could also argue The Predator wasn't entirely his fault with all the production problems.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Tim Burton, I like batman, ed wood and mars attacks, other than that most of his films aren't great and can sometimes feel pretentious at times

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

He's the worst movie director of all time yet you like three of his movies?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

realinvaderdesign wrote:Tim Burton, I like batman, ed wood and mars attacks, other than that most of his films aren't great and can sometimes feel pretentious at times
I agree that some of his films are overrated, but Batman alone is better than a lot of filmmakers' entire libraries. Now if you said that Tim Burton was the most overrated filmmaker, I might agree, because he's made plenty of duds. But there are too many directors who have never made a good film for him to be the worst.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

After the steaming pile of pukefest that was The Predator (2018).

Shane Black is definitely among those.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

By much of the logic displayed here, I could say Ishiro Honda is the worst director of all time, considering he made Varan, Godzilla's Revenge and Space Amoeba, despite having a few good films under his belt.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....