Worst movie director of all time

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Who is the worst movie director of all time?

Uwe Boll
37%
Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg
12%
Michael Bay
2%
Roland Emmerich
7%
M. Night Shyamalan
8%
Eli Roth
No votes
Tom Six
3%
Zack Snyder
2%
Paul W.S. Anderson
No votes
Other
29%

Total votes: 59

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Worst movie director of all time

Post by BlankAccount »

2004Zilla wrote:Except Uwe Boll, who has actually never made a good movie and acts pretty shitty irl, none of these directors come close to being the worst director of all time. In fact, I can name at least 1 good film from a good majority of these directors:

Roland Emmerich : Independence Day

Michael Bay: The Rock

M. Night Shaymalan : Unbreakable

Zack Snyder : Dawn of the Dead

Paul W.S. Anderson : Alien vs Predator (before some chucklefuck goes "But it's PG-13!!!" then let's go with Event Horizon)
Uwe Boll: Rampage (no relation to the game or it's movie adaptation, ironically), when the tax loophole got fixed he was forced to actually try and showed he can make a competent movie.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

2004Zilla wrote:Except Uwe Boll, who has actually never made a good movie and acts pretty shitty irl, none of these directors come close to being the worst director of all time. In fact, I can name at least 1 good film from a good majority of these directors:

Paul W.S. Anderson : Alien vs Predator (before some chucklefuck goes "But it's PG-13!!!" then let's go with Event Horizon)
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Shane Black.

Literally because The Predator exists.

skreeonk that movie.

skreeonk literally every single tiny insignificant little detail about that movie.

The Predator is not the worst film ever made, Jesus H. skreeonking Christ. It's not even the worst Predator movie because of AVP R.

Edit: Okay, after looking up who Tom Six actually is, yeah, he does kinda actually belong on this list. So I voted for him. But the directors I listed above definitely do not deserve to be called 'worst director'.
I take it you've never watched a Seltzberg movie.

Just TRY watching one of their movies and see if you can still say that with a straight face. No, not the original Scary Movie, which they only partially wrote (they obvs wrote all the jokes that sucked), I'm talking about all their solo spoof movies, Date Movie-onwards.

Hell, DisASSter Movie is ranked as the #1 lowest rated film on IMDb's bottom 100, that should tell you everything you need to know.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Larry Buchanan: even when given decent scripts he managed to turn out stuff that looked like it had been made by someone totally unfamiliar with movies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_on_Us
Wow!

Still, he doesn`t irk me like Uwe Bowe.
I’ve never seen any of his work outside of the six or seven movies he did for AI-TV in the ‘60s.

He was an independent filmmaker from Texas and AIP contracted him to make several movies for television distribution using existing screenplays. He eventually made one original (Mars Needs Women) but the rest were remakes of early AIP releases like It Conquered the World and Day the World Ended.

Those originals weren’t high art, but they were pretty competently plotted. ICTW was a decent script. Larry’s remakes all border on technical incompetence. Even in high def these movies look like shit.

Maybe he’s not the worst filmmaker of all time but he’s in a unique position because we can compare his work to other films made from the same screenplays.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I picked Shyamalan because Lady In The Water made me wanna beat my head off a wall.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Not voting unless good ol Tommy is on there
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Living Corpse wrote:

Uwe Boll: Rampage (no relation to the game or it's movie adaptation, ironically), when the tax loophole got fixed he was forced to actually try and showed he can make a competent movie.
Even Rampage, his best movie, only got a 6.3 on IMDb, so it wasn't THAT well-received.

His next best received film, Heart of America, has a 4.5 on IMDb. This article from the poor souls charged with drafting the original screenplay for Alone in the Dark is a great read, it goes into detail on that and their (I'm sure) traumatizing experience with the mad Doctor (he goes by Doctor Boll, so I'm calling him that).

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

You forgot to put in the list two more of the worst movie directors of all time: Ed Wood Jr. and Jerry Warren.

Wood, of course, directed films like Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 from Outer Space, while Warren's films included The Wild World of Batwoman and Frankenstein Island.

If that doesn't merit their inclusion on this list, I don't know what does.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

This is a bit of an unanswerable question, because ultimately you're asking "Who's the worst director of all time who has had widespread exposure?" Chester Novell Turner, a guy who only ever directed two straight-to-video horror films in the mid-80s that were quickly forgotten, is unquestionably a worse director than Tom Six, but if he was in fact the worst director to ever live, I don't think a lot of people would be satisfied with that answer. When people hear something like "worst director ever", they want to hear a bigger name. They want to hear about a guy who keeps getting work despite a string of complete duds, or whose few films were so outrageous that they made an impact with their negative qualities. They don't want to hear about some guy who got in over his head and quit after pushing out a single inept product.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

johnboy3434 wrote:This is a bit of an unanswerable question, because ultimately you're asking "Who's the worst director of all time who has had widespread exposure?"
Seriously. Otherwise I'm sure I'd be on this list...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

johnboy3434 wrote:This is a bit of an unanswerable question, because ultimately you're asking "Who's the worst director of all time who has had widespread exposure?"
You'd be hard-pressed to find a director, any director who's made worse movies than Uwe Boll and Seltzer/Friedberg (Seltzberg). DisASSter Movie is the lowest-rated film on IMDb.

Their other films (again, if you can call them that) are universally-despised as well, and no, they don't deserve credit for Scary Movie 1, I've seen people use that movie to "vindicate" them against being the worst. 1)They didn't direct it, they only wrote little snippets, in fact, they were only credited with writing the characters IIRC, the Wayans were the ones who wrote the actual script, 2)if they did actually write any of the jokes, they obviously wrote all of the jokes that sucked, and 3)there's a reason why they were 2 of the 6 writers from Scary Movie: they were fired for being talentless hacks.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

KManX89 wrote:You'd be hard-pressed to find a director, any director who's made worse movies than Uwe Boll and Seltzer/Friedberg (Seltzberg). DisASSter Movie is the lowest-rated film on IMDb.
Look into the shot-on-video boom of the 80s and you'll find a dozen such directors. It was truly the time with the lowest bar of entry to a "professional" movie release, with little actual professionalism needed. There are tons of directors you've never heard of who only differ from Seltzer and Friedberg on one point, and it's not talent: It's luck. The only thing exceptional about Seltzer and Friedberg is that they got lucky. They made a bunch of big, bad movies instead of one little bad movie like the rest did.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

johnboy3434 wrote:Look into the shot-on-video boom of the 80s and you'll find a dozen such directors. It was truly the time with the lowest bar of entry to a "professional" movie release, with little actual professionalism needed. There are tons of directors you've never heard of who only differ from Seltzer and Friedberg on one point, and it's not talent: It's luck. The only thing exceptional about Seltzer and Friedberg is that they got lucky. They made a bunch of big, bad movies instead of one little bad movie like the rest did.
Great point. There's a book on the subject of really bad movies made during the video boom of the '80s and '90s, titled The Golden Age of Crap. The directors that hung around long enough to make four or five turds that went straight to video are obvious contenders for the title of worst director.

And then there's Godfrey Ho, who's in a class all his own.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Stump Feet wrote:I picked Shyamalan because Lady In The Water made me wanna beat my head off a wall.

Just curious. What would seeing The Last Airbender do to you.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I saw that in theaters, can’t remember a whole lot other than being dissatisfied with it and finding it annoying how they pronounced Ang’s name.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

Stump Feet wrote:I’ve saw that in theaters, can’t rememebr a whole lot other than being dissatisfied with it and annoyed by how they pronounced Ang’s name.
I swear, while watching movie you can fucking hear the writers pacing the floor, desperately rewatching the show to find more stuff to cut out so they could somehow fit an entire television season into 90 minutes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm the second person to vote for "Other." I assume that, whoever that first person was, we were both voting for me, personally as the worst movie director of all time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:I'm the second person to vote for "Other." I assume that, whoever that first person was, we were both voting for me, personally as the worst movie director of all time.
I, too, voted "other" and it was not for you lol
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:I'm the second person to vote for "Other." I assume that, whoever that first person was, we were both voting for me, personally as the worst movie director of all time.
I, too, voted "other" and it was not for you lol
Wow, and you've seen some of my very worst work, too! :D

BigGrayGecko
Yojimbo

Post by BigGrayGecko »

mikelcho wrote: The Wild World of Batwoman and Frankenstein Island.

If that doesn't merit their inclusion on this list, I don't know what does.
Those two movies are abominable. Thankfully, their titles warn everyone of the level of quality and I guess nobody will watch these pieces of art accidentally.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Darren Aronofsky, I picked *other* since that option wasn't available.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!