General movies/Hollywood thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: General movies/Hollywood thread.

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Trailer for Clerks III dropped and uhh... It actually doesn't look completely terrible? KevSmith hasn't made a decent movie since Tusk (unpopular opinion) but I'm actually kind of on board for this one. God forgive me.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:31 am Trailer for Clerks III dropped and uhh... It actually doesn't look completely terrible? KevSmith hasn't made a decent movie since Tusk (unpopular opinion) but I'm actually kind of on board for this one. God forgive me.
Yeah, it actually looks pretty entertaining.

Just as I'm no longer really into the "Quentin Tarantino" style of movie, I'm kind of beyond the "Kevin Smith style" of movie as well...but it does look like a fun watch and it'll probably be the most well-rounded film he's made in years.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I just found out about this one today, but apparently Disney's working on another Haunted Mansion movie. It's suppose to come out next year and it's got Jamie Lee Curtis, Jared Leto and Danny DeVito involved. Jared's apparently acting as one of the ghost with voicework.

https://ew.com/movies/disney-haunted-ma ... haracters/

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Alright this past weekend is one of the most record breaking opening weekends (the 4th biggest) in Hollywood history. For not one but two separate films. Both Barbie and Oppenheimer grossed well over 100 million internationally over the weekend. Both films already making their budget back. Barbie is also the biggest domestic opening weekend ever for a female directed film (and the biggest of 2023 thus far). It's also Nolan's 3rd biggest opening after the final two Batman films. It's also quite possibly the biggest opening weekend ever for a biopic (the 3rd biggest domestically). Both films also sit with lofty 90+ ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Both films also currently have identical RT to Audience scores (Barbie 90%-90% to Oppenheimer's 94%-94%).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Over the weekend I saw three movies. One with my family and two with my girlfriend on a double-date

MI:7, Oppenheimer and Barbie. I loved MI:7 as much as i have the films since Ghost Protocol (A LOT). Not as good as Fallout, but still great. Oppenheimer was great too, not to my girlfriend’s tastes but was still enjoyed by the both of us. Barbie on the other hand, we both had a blast with. My least favourite of the three, but my girlfriend enjoyed it immensely and that makes it better.

I kin Ken.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:39 pm Alright this past weekend is one of the most record breaking opening weekends (the 4th biggest) in Hollywood history. For not one but two separate films. Both Barbie and Oppenheimer grossed well over 100 million internationally over the weekend. Both films already making their budget back. Barbie is also the biggest domestic opening weekend ever for a female directed film (and the biggest of 2023 thus far). It's also Nolan's 3rd biggest opening after the final two Batman films. It's also quite possibly the biggest opening weekend ever for a biopic (the 3rd biggest domestically). Both films also sit with lofty 90+ ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Both films also currently have identical RT to Audience scores (Barbie 90%-90% to Oppenheimer's 94%-94%).
Guess that goes to show you that all the marketing in the world can’t hold a candle to internet memes. :lol:

I saw both films back to back yesterday. I thought Oppenheimer was the better of the two by a good margin, but good lord that sound mixing was loud AF. I’m thankful I had the foresight to bring earplugs. This film and John Wick 4 might be difficult to watch in my apartment without generating noise complaints.

Barbie was very, very silly and a ton of fun, but I felt was a both too heavy handed and too shallow with its themes. I don’t think it holds up as a particularly strong example of leftist cinema, but I do think it sets a strong example for visual and stylistic flair that few live action films can match.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Overwhelming success of Barbie and Oppenheimer this weekend shows that film can be at the forefront of culture, a participatory event, and ultimately relies on the talents of artists and craftspeople more than anything else. It feels like we're at a crossroads where tastes are changing, but even I'm surprised the writing on the wall is so sudden and well defined.

Unfortunately, the people in charge of the studios are morons who want to become tech companies, don't value artists, and may not actually understand success and only believe in fairy tales of infinite growth supplanted by constant infusions of venture capital. Who's to say what's going to happen? All I know is that before year's end we've got new Scorsese and Miyazaki (and Godzilla!) movies in the theater and I'm excited to see them!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:11 amI saw both films back to back yesterday. I thought Oppenheimer was the better of the two by a good margin, but good lord that sound mixing was loud AF. I’m thankful I had the foresight to bring earplugs. This film and John Wick 4 might be difficult to watch in my apartment without generating noise complaints.
Glad it's not just me. I've seen a lot of films in cinema and understood the vast majority of the dialogue, but two of the audience and critics popular films I've seen this year, one being Oppenheimer, both left me feeling like I was missing every other line which added a little bit of stress to the experience. I'm having trouble telling if my ears are worse or audio mixes are worse.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Audio mixes and the way actors deliver their lines have definitely been going downhill lately. That's a recognized trend; there are videos about it on YT. Actors mumble and you can't understand half of what they say.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:05 pm Audio mixes and the way actors deliver their lines have definitely been going downhill lately. That's a recognized trend; there are videos about it on YT. Actors mumble and you can't understand half of what they say.
For sure. It’s a weird trend in Hollywood. Nolan was definitely one of the people who inspired it bc of how he likes to mix his movies’ audio. Even in his older works, the problem is there. It becomes worse with home releases— if you don’t have a halfway-fancy sound bar or audio setup, good luck (me, that’s me, I’m that guy -_- )
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Not Hollywood at all, but I just found out Wim Wenders (director of my all time favorite movie, second place isn't even close, Paris, Texas) and its about a toilet cleaner in Japan, and honestly, I might be more excited for that than G -1 (which is saying something). Not sure when it will release stateside if at all outside of film fests, but damn I really want to see it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

After news that Warner Brothers were shelving and writing off a live action/animation hybrid Wil E Coyote film, despite excellent reception from test screenings, apparently a number of filmmakers cancelled meetings they had booked with the studio to discuss possible future projects. Now Warner is allowing the filmmakers to shop the film to other distributors. Several services have already expressed interest in the film. It has finished production for almost a year now.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Trailers I'd like to see before Godzilla: Minus One this week:

Cloverfield 2
Universal's April untitled classic monster movie
Godzilla X Kong

Godzilla X Kong being the most likely, of course.