Offical Dragon Ball Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Offical Dragon Ball Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

I swear to god, it won't be that far-fetched if modern Goku gave Frieza the Dragonballs just to see how strong he'd get by obtaining immortality.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm I swear to god, it won't be that far-fetched if modern Goku gave Frieza the Dragonballs just to see how strong he'd get by obtaining immortality.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know that is something this damn fool would do.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm I swear to god, it won't be that far-fetched if modern Goku gave Frieza the Dragonballs just to see how strong he'd get by obtaining immortality.

That is not something Goku would do. Goku allows people to do things within the limits of fairness. He got on Zamasu's ass for the immortality bs.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm

That is not something Goku would do. Goku allows people to do things within the limits of fairness. He got on Zamasu's ass for the immortality bs.
Dude, we know. It's called riffing on Gokus ass. Making fun of his wanting to just fight strong opponents sheesh. Let us not forget the Cell saga and the senzu bean incident lol it's a play on that dude.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Dude, we know. It's called riffing on Gokus ass. Making fun of his wanting to just fight strong opponents sheesh. Let us not forget the Cell saga and the senzu bean incident lol it's a play on that dude.
The senzu bean saved lives when you think about it. LegendZilla is likely being serious however.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:33 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm Friday is the SDCC panel for the 2022 Super movie. So look forward to news coming this weekend.
Broly got his first trailer at SDCC so lets hold out hope.
Since we're living in different times with Covid. I wonder if this movie is going to have a simultaneous or exclusive streaming release.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Dragonball Super: Super Hero. Weird name but whatever. But hey Pan is actually aged up! Now let's just wait and see if Goten and Trunks have aged at all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Announcement was kinda underwhelming. Just a title and some new characters. Kinda let down. Was expecting something more grand.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly Superhero is such a weird name, but it got me thinking...

What if it's Goku meeting someone who acts more like an actual typical western superhero? Like, an actual Superman expy that almost shares his exact powerset and personality? I feel like that would be a pretty interesting thing to do for the movie.. though i'm probably wrong lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Can't say I'm impressed with this.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

No king reigns forever. For me, Broly was the sort of "fond send-off" for this entire epic. I grew up on Dragon Ball, but these days...My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are much more of what I'm into.

I hope it is good and that the fans enjoy it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 pm No king reigns forever. For me, Broly was the sort of "fond send-off" for this entire epic. I grew up on Dragon Ball, but these days...My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are much more of what I'm into.

I hope it is good and that the fans enjoy it.
A man of great taste. I too dabble with MHA and Demon Slayer.

MHA recent manga chapter is just perfection.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Eh Demon Slayer doesn't interest me in the slightest but I definitely wanna give My Hero a try at some point. It's obviously my kind of anime.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:59 pm Eh Demon Slayer doesn't interest me in the slightest but I definitely wanna give My Hero a try at some point. It's obviously my kind of anime.
You really should. It's pretty great and the current arc is freaking amazing.

When you do get to watch it let me know, I hope you like it.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I've always found Freeza's 3rd form to just be redundant and unnecessary. I'm not a fan of the overly spikey design, the aesthetic just veers too far towards weird and borderline goofy, the alien-shaped head does nothing for me. The other 3 designs still carry a weight and power to them.

Freeza's first form is the iconic image of the character, his first transformation is a dramatic reveal of his even greater power and they battle and struggle with that form for quite some time. 3rd form feels like it just shows up to one-up Piccolo, when a simple 'I'll power up real quick, I've been holding back' would have sufficed. Then the 3rd form is quickly dispatched because I bet those involved likely realized either how weird/silly/ineffective it looked OR Toriyama didn't like having to keep drawing such a complex design....likely a little of both.

Final form is so simplified, completely threatening and lethal...it feels like the most truly evil of the looks.

I think any reboot or retelling of the series would be wise to just go with 3 main forms for Freeza instead of 4. Give the 'Battle with Freeza before Goky arrives' a nice little 3 act structure for the 3 forms. From the preamble of "Vegeta is strong enough to hold his own" against first form to the very drawn out "Oh crap well maybe if we work together and have super Piccolo, Gohan raging out and Dende healing we can hold him off" main course of the fight to "we are hopelessly screwed and Vegeta is our strongest and he can't even land a hit" conclusion.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:17 am I've always found Freeza's 3rd form to just be redundant and unnecessary. I'm not a fan of the overly spikey design, the aesthetic just veers too far towards weird and borderline goofy, the alien-shaped head does nothing for me. The other 3 designs still carry a weight and power to them.

Freeza's first form is the iconic image of the character, his first transformation is a dramatic reveal of his even greater power and they battle and struggle with that form for quite some time. 3rd form feels like it just shows up to one-up Piccolo, when a simple 'I'll power up real quick, I've been holding back' would have sufficed. Then the 3rd form is quickly dispatched because I bet those involved likely realized either how weird/silly/ineffective it looked OR Toriyama didn't like having to keep drawing such a complex design....likely a little of both.

Final form is so simplified, completely threatening and lethal...it feels like the most truly evil of the looks.

I think any reboot or retelling of the series would be wise to just go with 3 main forms for Freeza instead of 4. Give the 'Battle with Freeza before Goky arrives' a nice little 3 act structure for the 3 forms. From the preamble of "Vegeta is strong enough to hold his own" against first form to the very drawn out "Oh crap well maybe if we work together and have super Piccolo, Gohan raging out and Dende healing we can hold him off" main course of the fight to "we are hopelessly screwed and Vegeta is our strongest and he can't even land a hit" conclusion.
Frieza's 3rd form was created because Toriyama liked Aliens and he was building up Frieza's forms becoming more and more monsteruous so the final form would subvert expectations.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The first trailer for Super Hero dropped today at New York Comic Con. It's interesting to be sure. The combo CG and cell shaded animation looks decent in some shot and a but wonky in others. Also Broly apparently has a bit part in the film. Though probably nothing more than an extended cameo.

Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:40 am Frieza's 3rd form was created because Toriyama liked Aliens and he was building up Frieza's forms becoming more and more monsteruous so the final form would subvert expectations.
I mean, that's fine that he has a reason/justification but I still feel that it really doesn't work. To do an entire section with a new form just for the alien tribute and misdirection of 'each form is more wild than the last'...that just feels like a gimmick and it ultimately weakens, not strengthens, the narrative.

Added in 18 minutes 31 seconds:
Also...ouch, that trailer looks incredibly rough. The number of shots that look 'passable/good/kinda cool' are greatly outnumbered by the number of shots that just feel completely odd. Visually it just does not feel right. The frame-rate of the motion, and the overall smoothness of it(which relates to the framerate but also has other factors) just does NOT feel right. The guy in the purple suit has a walking animation that looks like it is from a bad early 00s video game cutscene.

I'm sure plenty of it is rough and will be refined, but gosh it just feels SO "Not Dragon Ball" to me aesthetically.

And apparently the Red Ribbon Army is back here?

I don't like that the "Super" era has sort of just been a kind of 'do a throwback/nostalgia trip for fun' kind of practice. Bring Freeza back twice, do another Future Trunks/Time Travel arc, bring Vegito back, fully canonize Broly and Gogeta, etc etc and now the Red Ribbon Army is back?

It feels so much like this brand is getting the kind of...Star Wars treatment. Not saying a WORD about quality, that is a separate discussion...but this kind of "we are going to bring back a wildly popular but currently dormant franchise and just absolutely weaponize nostalgia for the classic stuff but not really do anything particularly satisfying on a creative level" along with "We are going to just drown the market in content from this new era of the property"

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

The new CG animation just looks all wrong. Don't like it. They struck absolute gold with the animation in Broly, why change it?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The villain design looks pretty good.

But man, this feels like such a step down from Broly. Who knows though, maybe it’ll be better in film and it’s just a bad trailer.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.