Offical Dragon Ball Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Re: Offical Dragon Ball Thread

Post by Greyshot151 »

Apparently, this has been in the planning stages since the Broly movie which coupled with the last movies immense success, leads me to think that while it is a Dragon Ball Super film, its going to focus on the Broly trio. Too be honest, I don't really care too much about Goku or Vegeta and I do love the franchise. Broly MADE the last film as good as it was because the fight had stakes aka you didn't want Broly to die even though he was the main threat. I'd rather see a movie or series with him fighting Cooler, learning to control his immense power than Goku fighting someone again with no stakes or tension.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:44 pm Granola arc?

What is that?
Current story going on in the manga: https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Gran ... vivor_Saga
miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:58 pm
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:33 pm Ya know the placement of this movie in the timeline is now intriguing me. It can't after the Broly movie because that is where the Moro arc takes place. It can't be after the Moro arc because the current arc (Granola the Survivor) is currently going on. So when exactly is this going to take place?
Toriyama can set it after the Garanola arc just fine.
That would be...odd.
Broly was set after the TOP despite said arc being written at the same time. By the time this film comes out Garanola should be finished.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Vegeta officially has a new canon transformation. Behold God of Destruction Vegeta! Spoilered if you don't wanna see it yet.
Spoiler:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hmm.. wonder if
Spoiler:
he can use Hakai?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'm betting he can since it's God power.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

He's been training with Hakai the last two chapters. Goku can use it as well.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How would you people feel if Toriyama actually allowed Goku to undergo development as a character? For example, what if he actually learned to stop being a complete and utter man-child, becoming mature and responsible? I know he always intended Goku to be a callous, brain-dead moron but seriously, that’s just bad taste on his part.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 pm I know he always intended Goku to be a callous, brain-dead moron but seriously, that’s just bad taste on his part.
I guess that means a huge chunk of creators have bad taste when it comes to making characters.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 pm How would you people feel if Toriyama actually allowed Goku to undergo development as a character? For example, what if he actually learned to stop being a complete and utter man-child, becoming mature and responsible? I know he always intended Goku to be a callous, brain-dead moron but seriously, that’s just bad taste on his part.
Toriyama hated when Goku was altered like that in the first funi dub and that's why the righting now he is working extra hard to make Goku the way he is now. Goku is also not brain dead, he is naive and obsessed with fighting.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:32 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:04 pm How would you people feel if Toriyama actually allowed Goku to undergo development as a character? For example, what if he actually learned to stop being a complete and utter man-child, becoming mature and responsible? I know he always intended Goku to be a callous, brain-dead moron but seriously, that’s just bad taste on his part.
Toriyama hated when Goku was altered like that in the first funi dub and that's why the righting now he is working extra hard to make Goku the way he is now. Goku is also not brain dead, he is naive and obsessed with fighting.
What is wrong with learning to be more flexible as a character and enjoy more things in life than what he loves to do best?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:17 pm
What is wrong with learning to be more flexible as a character and enjoy more things in life than what he loves to do best?
Ask Toriyama, Goku the way he is being portrayed now is how he wants him to be.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Ask Toriyama, Goku the way he is being portrayed now is how he wants him to be.
He clearly intends Goku to not be a character, but a tool to use for a bunch of dumb gags here and there. At least when he's not fighting bad guys.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dude, that's almost every anime character. They are driven by one goal. Goku is fighting strong opponents, My Hero Academia Midorya is wanting to be the best superhero, Luffy from One Piece wants to be the Pirate King, Naruto becoming Hokage etc, etc.

Also Goku just doesn't like to fight he loves to eat too. It's how the character is portrayed and after Alllll these years seeing him be different would be weird asf.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

goji89 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm
Dude, that's almost every anime character. They are driven by one goal. Goku is fighting strong opponents, My Hero Academia Midorya is wanting to be the best superhero, Luffy from One Piece wants to be the Pirate King, Naruto becoming Hokage etc, etc.

Also Goku just doesn't like to fight he loves to eat too. It's how the character is portrayed and after Alllll these years seeing him be different would be weird asf.
So you're saying that I shouldn't view anime characters with a western mentality?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:29 pm So you're saying that I shouldn't view anime characters with a western mentality?
Shonen protagonist don't really develop as characters most western characters do so uh... no, you shouldn't.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

goji89 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm Dude, that's almost every anime character. They are driven by one goal. Goku is fighting strong opponents, My Hero Academia Midorya is wanting to be the best superhero, Luffy from One Piece wants to be the Pirate King, Naruto becoming Hokage etc, etc.

Only in Shonen Anime meant to appeal to Japanese HS boys. All of them, in some ways, are power fantasies, meant to emphasize and appeal to teens who really don't have a lot of self-autonomy and want to do great things in their lives. It parallels a lot of Western YA Fiction, just the ways some of these designs are explored are different. Leave that (major) sub genre and it's a different story.

But yeah, I've always appreciated and preferred the DBZ Funimation Goku. He was silly and carefree, wasn't a dick, but he got serious when he needed to.

However, I think it's smart and sort of a conscious decision by Toriyama in Z, and recent efforts in Super to make Vegeta the second protagonist. Goku is only a character that can exist as long as there's a lot of side characters that have stronger motivations and more defined personalities. Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading chapter 74 today.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Friday is the SDCC panel for the 2022 Super movie. So look forward to news coming this weekend.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm Friday is the SDCC panel for the 2022 Super movie. So look forward to news coming this weekend.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm Friday is the SDCC panel for the 2022 Super movie. So look forward to news coming this weekend.
Broly got his first trailer at SDCC so lets hold out hope.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Friday?

But I want it NOW!!!