The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

Post by Tohosaurus »

Main franchise pieces:

Series
Star Trek (AKA Star Trek: The Original Series)
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Short Treks
Star Trek: Picard
Star Trek: Lower Decks
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Star Trek: Prodigy

Films
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek: The Search for Spock
Star Trek: The Voyage Home
Star Trek: The Final Frontier
Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Beyond

What do you like about the franchise? What are your favorite shows? Movies? Characters? Any ideas for a future series or film?
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 26 times in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Star Trek Thread

Post by Man of Steel »

Favourite show has to be The Next Generation.
Favourite films are The Voyage Home and Insurrection.
Favourite characters have to be Jean-Luc Picard, Riker, Seven of Nine, Data, Worf, Kathryn Janeway, Spock, James T. Kirk, Q, Benjamin Sisco and Jadzia Dax.

I'm a die-hard Trekkie and I love anything Star Trek. I've been a fan of the show ever since I was a little child. It's been there for more through happy and bad times. Thank you, Gene Roddenberry!
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

*updated*

I'd like to see some films or series that follow non-human-centric bases or ships. Maybe a film that follows the rebel group that breaks away from Vulcan and how they got to be the Romulans with which we are familiar. Other people talking about the idea of having a series centered on Riker once he's captain of the Titan interests me as well. Or post-Nemesis with improving Federation-Rom relations?

Anyway, favorite show is really a virtual tie between the always charming TOS and the more intellectual TNG. Favorite movie? That's a tough one. Really like Wrath of Kahn of course, but I will also go head and just say I think Abrams two films are actually pretty awesome as well, even if they deviate from being more intelligent in themes/issues than some prior efforts. Most liked characters would be Spock, Scotty, Bones, Picard, Riker, and Quark.

Quick takes on the series, but the movies I'll give more elaborate reviews on as I re-watch them.

Star Trek: The Original Series - A groundbreaking series in its day, I love the adventure, unique people, and worlds. The exploration of various political and social issues thoroughly enhances it. The cast is absolutely lovable and my favorite.
10/10

Star Trek: The Animated Series - Pretty much an animated version of TOS, but not as complex and developed.
8/10

Star Trek: The Next Generation - More intelligent than TOS, benefits from being newer and probably higher budget relative to its time than TOS was for its own, and has some gripping series arcs like the Borg and Q.
10/10

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Darker and more overarching as a series kept this fresh rather than being a retread of TNG. That said, it didn't over-somber itself and had plenty of Quark moments and such. It was more personal in its themes than prior series had been, which pondered more large scale sociopolitics.
9/10

Star Trek: Voyager - I don't dislike this anywhere near the hate I see for it on the web. Janeway is memorable, as is The Doctor. But while many of the other characters are perfectly enjoyable (Paris, Seven, Yuvok), some of them feel too similar to prior characters that were more engaging anyway while others are just not that interesting. I think there were some ways they could've made this fresher than it was. For example, they're quite literally where no one (human) has been before if I am not mistaken, and therefore they had options for "weirder" planets with weirder inhabitants and weirder customs. But it feels mostly like a redo of TNG and frankly TNG did such an amazing job of what it was that as with DS9 they should've known to go in a different direction. In spite of my criticism, there is still a lot to like as it covers a lot of topics that are interesting and applicable today, and will doubtless be applicable in the future. For that, I will say Voyager is sure to remain timeless and I think wouldn't be surprised if time looked more favorably upon this series. But who knows?
7.5/10

Star Trek: Enterprise - Liked this more than I thought I would. First two seasons are definitely not as strong as the second two.
8.5/10
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
고질라

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

So Simon Pegg is co-writing Star Trek 3.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/star-trek-3 ... 201355170/

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've been a casual fan for probably around ten years, now. TNG was mainly what I watched until recently, and it's still my favorite show. I've been getting into DS9 in the last few months, though. I'm twelve episodes into the first season, and it's growing on me quickly. Quark is a little overused, but the characters are all likable and interesting, and I like that the show is set in a fixed location, as opposed to the traditional travelling to some new planet every episode. I've also seen and enjoyed four or five episodes of TOS' first season. Haven't seen any of the other shows yet, or any of the movies aside from the Abrams ones and a few minutes of First Contact.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I've been a fan for probably two years. My dad introduced me to the Original Series and I became interested immediately. I've currently seen the entire Original Series, and several episodes of The Next Generation, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine. Enterprise is the only series I haven't watched any episodes of. As for the movies, I own all of them, but still need to watch First Contact through Nemesis.

The Original Series is my favorite as well as Kirk.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

imperious reptilius
Monarch Researcher

Post by imperious reptilius »

TheSecondComing wrote:So Simon Pegg is co-writing Star Trek 3.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/star-trek-3 ... 201355170/
Eh...yay? I liked 'Shaun of the Dead' and loved 'Hot Fuzz', but I don't know how well that really meshes with 'Star Trek.
"You don’t like your job, you don’t strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That’s the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Now the gentle winds, beckons through the leaves~ As autumn colors fall~

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

My favorite shows was Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager. Never really cared about the movies though.

Shannon Squid
G-Force Personnel

Post by Shannon Squid »

Liked the 09 movie for what it was....Quite a lot actually. Hated hated hated into Darkness.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I love the original series, but I like Next Generation and DS9 more. The characters were more interesting, and they told some great stories.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

DS9 was the best, I'm rewatching DS9 in it's entirety.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I'm struggling through Voyager. Starting the third season now and it's barely showing signs of improvement. I like some of the characters but it feels like Next Gen-Lite with the storytelling of TOS.

DS9 on the other hand, is probably my favorite of the shows now. It has its flaws but it's just more mature and well-developed. The story is great and the Ferengi and Cardassian characters are so well-written. Next Gen is awesome, but I prefer the larger story arc of DS9 as opposed to the mostly episodic adventures.

I like all the movies, though it seemed like The Motion Picture was trying way too hard to be 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Qapla', I guess.
'And yet another one?'

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

seamus wrote:I'm struggling through Voyager. Starting the third season now and it's barely showing signs of improvement. I like some of the characters but it feels like Next Gen-Lite with the storytelling of TOS.

DS9 on the other hand, is probably my favorite of the shows now. It has its flaws but it's just more mature and well-developed. The story is great and the Ferengi and Cardassian characters are so well-written. Next Gen is awesome, but I prefer the larger story arc of DS9 as opposed to the mostly episodic adventures.

I like all the movies, though it seemed like The Motion Picture was trying way too hard to be 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Qapla', I guess.
Voyager goes downhill from middle of S3 until end of series. I always thought that S2 was Voyagers best season.

DS9 was amazing from start to finish, as I loved Quark especially and his antics.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

MysticalDL wrote:Voyager goes downhill from middle of S3 until end of series. I always thought that S2 was Voyagers best season.

DS9 was amazing from start to finish, as I loved Quark especially and his antics.
Yes!! Quark is my absolute favorite. It's a shame they closed the real-life Quark's. I would make the trip to Vegas if it still existed.
'And yet another one?'

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Did a full re-watch of the TNG films.

Star Trek: Generations (1994)
There are several stronger moments throughout the film, from the Data emotions subplot and the polished performance of Stewart and Frakes, although I don't know how well they're all interconnected. I wish they'd have gone for a more ensemble setup to the story and incorporated Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov, which would've made it more exciting a sendoff movie to the TOS cast. And that's part of the problem with the movie. It's good, but aspects meant to be more emotional are not handled that well and end up hollow. Kirk's sendoff in particular just seemed "lame" compared to that of other main characters. But our characters' interactions are as charming as ever, so even though it's somewhat slow at times it's completely tolerable. In a way that makes this more challenging than most movies to actually rank, because there are parts I like and others that are disappointing in a weird mishmash that leaves me thinking it was a good movie overall that misses the opportunity to become great and the next Wrath of Khan.
6.5/10

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
On a few different levels this is a more successful film than Generations was. It handles its emotional moments with more confidence and keeps the rest of the moments fairly interesting than did Generations, which could feel a little dry at moments. Oddly though it feels more like DS9, but maybe that's because it's darker and especially when it's exploring Picard's senses and motivations. That blends well with the overall tension and it doesn't feel disjointed with subplots that don't work together. But again they emphasize the Data character more than the other members of Enterprise that are not Picard, and Data is tons of fun but it sidelines the others. Ultron this year had somewhat more to do with Hulk and Iron Man in terms of plot, but it always felt completely like an Avengers film. It'd be harsh to say this doesn't feel like a ST movie, but I'm merely saying more from Troi, Riker, and Worf would be welcome. Other positives include the score and effects, which for the TNG films are quite impressive considering their budget.
7.5/10

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
One improvement over the prior two films is that Data takes a step back in the story and other characters have increased presence, it seems, despite the considerably shorter running time of this film compared to the prior two. But though enjoyable, this is the TNG film that didn't really need to be made. The premise is perfectly applicable to the Star Trek franchise, but did this really need to be drawn out to a feature film's length and budget? This could easily have been condensed down to a single episode of TNG (I realize the show was done by the time this was released, I'm just saying) or at least a two-parter and still accomplished the same thing. There are a lot of multifaceted stories that could have been made into a great film. Even the preceding and succeeding did this, so it's a somewhat unfortunate decision that among what surely had to be numerous scripts that this was the winner. But given what they were, the cast and filmmakers make the most of it, so it's perhaps the weakest entry in the TNG series though still nothing like a sub-par film.
6/10

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
I may have always liked this one more than most people seem to, and yet it was an example of why they needed to be done with the TNG films; there's just a clear lack of inspiration for these movies compared to some of the TOS cast films or even the Abrams films. For a $60M movie the effects are excellent and the movie could've fairly easily passed as one costing twice as much. And the score is pleasing. The cast gains some decent roles in the movie though Data again maintains a high level of centrality to the story. Everyone has to love the space battles too. The villain and the motivations are not poorly conceived but at the same time there's not the level of vengeance and hatred you'd get in the best villains. As with other TNG films this one has a tone that is somewhat darker than the series and as such they feel somewhat different from the show. That could be why some people are less than kind towards the movies. More creativity or at least something fresh (incorporate some DS9 or Voyager characters even though it's a TNG movie?) might have helped. On the whole there's some good action and visuals to go with the typical Star Trek stuff we love and nice performances, but not the emotional pull (especially the ending) that one expects
7/10
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: (New Series Coming) The Star Trek Thread

Post by Tohosaurus »

A new series is coming! Woo!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34704082

Not really enough Trek talk around here to necessitate a separate thread, so I'll leave this here.
고질라

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: (New Series Coming!) The Star Trek Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's list of hopes I have for the upcoming series :

That they actually get their act together and set it another century following the TNG-era.
That they use the Wrath of Khan theme for the opening credits like how TNG did the original film's Jerry Goldsmith-composed theme.
Add further diversity to the crew by featuring at least one LGBT crew-member.

Any interesting ideas you have? Fill me in my friends. ;)

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

I just hope it's set in the old universe rather than the rebooted universe which kinda... sucks.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The first trailer for Star Trek Beyond reportedly to premiere with The Force Awakens.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Star Trek: Beyond Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

I really Didn't like it.

It also seems the Fast and The Furious director's habit of having the characters jump from near deaths on a cilf is in this one as well.
Godzilla