The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Star Trek Thread (Incl Discovery, Picard)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Ehhhhh, I didn't watch a lot of Discovery and haven't seen Picard (partially do to only being interested in CBS All Access for Twilight Zone, partially because I want to watch most of OG Trek before getting into new stuff) but in general, they're very well made but I'm not a fan of the tone. Star Trek has always been really optimistic Sci fi that has dangers but is mostly chill, the All Access stuff feels too gritty and edgy for me.
I think tone/and edginess are definitely good and reasonable complaints. I'm not going to spoil much, but a Picard episode does something really graphic and horrible to an old Voyager character. It was completely unecessary and could have been done off screen.

I think DS9 is dark, but the big difference is that it takes time to get to the darker stuff, and also always has a sense of family and unity. The station feels like something safe and uniting. With Picard and Discovery, it doesn't feel like that at all, in part to the visual violence choices, but also how the characters are written and interact.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like the remerged CBS/Viacom might have to sell off Star Trek because of how they are too strapped for cash.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Viacom/CBS could just let themselves be bought out completely as an alternative. So long as it isn’t Disney. Any suggestions as to who could do it?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote:^Viacom/CBS could just let themselves be bought out completely as an alternative. So long as it isn’t Disney. Any suggestions as to who could do it?

I'm not sure. With so many mergers, buyouts, and the like over the years, it's only a matter of time before people say that enough is enough. Just look at how the the DOJ tried to stop AT&T's buying of WB.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Viacom/CBS could just let themselves be bought out completely as an alternative. So long as it isn’t Disney. Any suggestions as to who could do it?

I'm not sure. With so many mergers, buyouts, and the like over the years, it's only a matter of time before people say that enough is enough. Just look at how the the DOJ tried to stop AT&T's buying of WB.
DOJ?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

DOJ?
Department of Justice.

I honestly do not care who owns it, just as long as Alex Kurtzman is no longer involved, and they realize that people like the quieter ambiance of Star Trek rather than generic action schlock with twists and turns. I will say that Picard has moved in the direction of that, so surely someone knows.

I had a realization that I think I should just accept what has happened to the franchise. TOS, TNG, DS9 are all fantastic, with VOY and ENT being decent. There's so much Star Trek content that I can resist and enjoy that fretting over the current state of the franchise isn't really worth it.

Speaking of, who here has watched TAS? Extremely underrated.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

The government would probably block any further Disney buyouts at this point, but then again, WB/Time Warner and maybe NBC/Universal are really the only others in any position to do this.

Also, this is kinda old news at this point, but Quentin Tarantino's planned Star Trek movie has been shelved. Kinda relieved tbqh, not buying R-rated Trek, and I LOVE QT films. His "style" would better lend itself to a Mass Effect movie methinks.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KManX89 wrote:Quentin Tarantino's planned Star Trek movie has been shelved.[/url] Kinda relieved tbqh, not buying R-rated Trek, and I LOVE QT films. His "style" would better lend itself to a Mass Effect movie methinks.
I think he should make his own Science Fiction IP.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think it's worth believing a Tarantino-directed or produced or written Trek movie would not likely be Kill Bill In Space or something. The one time he adapted an existing property (Jackie Brown) he didn't stylize the book (well, movie adaptation of the book) to fall in line with KB, Django, etc. And so I think Tarantino is very aware of how to do something true to himself but also the property.

As for the idea of ViacomCBS selling Trek, as one poster said I almost think it's as possible they'd have the whole company sold off than sell the specific franchise, but either is possible of course. Star Trek isn't as valuable as Star Wars (let alone Lucasilm in total) or Marvel, and so we're talking about less than that, but still a lot. There's a lot of merchandise and syndication money to be made before even thinking about movies.

ViacomCBS is worth a bit less than $16 billion at the moment. Although that's a ton of money, various media companies COULD buy them if they were interested: a rival studio or service like WB, Universal, or Netflix looking to increase their own scale for movie and streaming products, a tech or entertainment company like Acitivisio-Blizzard, Microsoft, or Apple. And that's only looking domestically. Various other companies also could show interest.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tohosaurus wrote:I think it's worth believing a Tarantino-directed or produced or written Trek movie would not likely be Kill Bill In Space or something. The one time he adapted an existing property (Jackie Brown) he didn't stylize the book (well, movie adaptation of the book) to fall in line with KB, Django, etc. And so I think Tarantino is very aware of how to do something true to himself but also the property.
Actually, he said it would be Pulp Fiction in Space, i.e: ripe with N-bombs, Klingon blood, foot fetishization scenes, etc. That'd be fine and dandy (except the N-bombs) for a Mass Effect or hard-R original sci-fi movie (who wouldn't want to see shots of Miranda and/or Fem Shephard's feet? Or more? :)), but that's not Star Trek and it definitely doesn't fit in with its themes of hope and discovery. It would be STINO.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

He may even mean it quite sincerely, but Tarantino has changed his mind before. KB3 has been a thing and then taken off the table, etc. But what you linked to could entirely be what Tarantino would in fact make. We may never know.

Added in 4 months 2 days 2 hours 41 minutes 2 seconds:
Re: The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)
Has anyone been watching Lower Decks? I don't have CBSAA and will have to hope for a Blu-ray down the road.
고질라

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Both the first two episodes of the most recent season of discovery were actually really decent. Tonally, the first episode was similar to Beyond, but damn if the most recent episode wasn't close to something like TNG. I remain optimistic.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I've actually quite enjoyed both seasons of Discovery so far, and I've only made it through six or seven episodes of Picard but enjoyed that too. So I am interested in the new Discovery season.
고질라

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Question: is Star Trek (the animated version from the 1970s) considered officially canon or not and if it is, is it considered a continuation of TOS or not?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:Question: is Star Trek (the animated version from the 1970s) considered officially canon or not and if it is, is it considered a continuation of TOS or not?
Because TOS from it's inception plays with alternate realities, and integrates it, it's safe to assume everything Star Trek exists and is "cannon".

If you haven't watched it, TAS is pretty good. It's got some genuinely great emotional episodes that develop Spock, and some really bonkers episodes as well.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Question: is Star Trek (the animated version from the 1970s) considered officially canon or not and if it is, is it considered a continuation of TOS or not?
Because TOS from it's inception plays with alternate realities, and integrates it, it's safe to assume everything Star Trek exists and is "cannon".

If you haven't watched it, TAS is pretty good. It's got some genuinely great emotional episodes that develop Spock, and some really bonkers episodes as well.
Thanks!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Officially? Not as of 2005 when Enterprise ended. But I don't know if its status has changed since then. You're best off plumbing the depths of the Memory Alpha site though, not inquiring at a Godzilla forum.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

AFAIK it's mainly considered canon by fans even if it doesn't perfectly fit within the continuity.

I think of it as a fourth season of TOS which merely happens to be animated, but didn't Gene himself delete it from the canon?
고질라

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Star Trek Disco’s most recent season, as of episode 4 is pretty decent! It’s changed and a lot better!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Did Anyone else see, regarding Picard season 2:
Spoiler:
John De Lancie's Tweet
?