The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Star Trek Thread (Including Discovery)

Post by Grievous »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’d love it if the Gorn came back. Don’t understand why they never did.
I was hoping Into Darkness or Beyond would open with a scene
of Kirk & some "red shirts" fighting a large reptilian fugitive on
a desert planet.

Make the Gorn more beast-like of course...

That would have been a cool way to "homage" the original Gorn scene in a more
modern way.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So anyone gonna talk about the first episode of Season 2?

A few things:
-Hate that Micheal is still monologuing.
-Hate that Spock is being treated like space Jesus.
-The actor who is the doctor/engineer has zero charisma and just flatly speaks her lines.
-Pikes actor is good, but why is he already being thrown under the bus to show off Micheal?

-I like the possible new alien design for that red angel thing.
-I like that some of the bridge crew actually do something for once, and are finally named.
-I still love Saru. He’s easily the best part of the show and it’s a shame that he isn’t just the captain.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I wonder how many on here actually subscribe.

I've read about it. It sounds like Pike is a fun character, but the show itself doesn't sound like it's improved in writing quality. At least one writer was talking about how redshirts are being replaced by 'mansplaining, entitled' characters and seems to object to getting 'another white guy, but Pike at least seems like the best white guy we could get, as he defers to Burnham a lot', but I am hoping the agenda was more a read-in from the biased reviewer than inherent to the episode.

I, of course, object to the revisionist interiors- both Enterprise and Beyond confirmed the canoniciy of Enterprise interior sets in the Prime universe. :) But other than that, it does seem like it has the potential to turn into a show I might consider watching...? Not quite as immediately there yet as I would have hoped, but... a step in the right direction, possibly? Waiting to see reviews from more sources to form an impression.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I'll probably wait until the season is over and then assess the final impression. That's what I did with Doctor Who this year.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I finally saw The Wrath Of Khan last Saturday. I know now why this is considered so good.
Just curious, did you watch the theatrical cut or the director's cut?
The theatrical cut. How is the director's cut different?
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote: Just curious, did you watch the theatrical cut or the director's cut?
The theatrical cut. How is the director's cut different?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_s4ULn4yw8
Ah. Thank you. I'm considering getting the Director's Cut.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like Discovery will most likely be cancelled.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/ ... discovery/

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That would be surprising, considering they just started a new season, to good review...

And, I mean, not unwelcome; but between this and the movie, it kinda says sad things for the Star Trek franchise.

As a matter of principle, I'd be very happy for the Orville to win this fight, and for Discovery to no longer be an ongoing blot on Star Trek record (even though the stain that will remain when it's gone anyway, so at this point I'd almost rather it have the chance to improve itself and no longer be a blight than simply be cut off and left there as a permanent scar on the record.)

Looking at a broader perspective, I would like to see Star Trek thrive. Maybe they're confident enough in the crop of new shows that they think they don't need this... but while I want to see projects in Star Trek that reflect what I think Star Trek should be, I don't want it to happen at the expense of Star Trek repeatedly failing in any area that it attempts that is not to my liking.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

MandaSaurus wrote:Anyone here know how Eaglemoss does their Subscription service, esp in regards to the new Discovery ships? Is it monthly? I know that you're allowed to skip items if you notify them ahead of time - and that Klingon Qugh would definitely be a 'skip', it looks horrid...
I got the skinny on Eaglemoss - we can skip whatever we want, but doing so pushes off the loyalty gifts, which IMO are quite cool...

To be more specific, the Klingon Qugh looks like it should be hanging on Andy Warhol's wall, rather than flying thru outer space. Bleh...

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Zarm wrote:That would be surprising, considering they just started a new season, to good review...

And, I mean, not unwelcome; but between this and the movie, it kinda says sad things for the Star Trek franchise.

As a matter of principle, I'd be very happy for the Orville to win this fight, and for Discovery to no longer be an ongoing blot on Star Trek record (even though the stain that will remain when it's gone anyway, so at this point I'd almost rather it have the chance to improve itself and no longer be a blight than simply be cut off and left there as a permanent scar on the record.)

Looking at a broader perspective, I would like to see Star Trek thrive. Maybe they're confident enough in the crop of new shows that they think they don't need this... but while I want to see projects in Star Trek that reflect what I think Star Trek should be, I don't want it to happen at the expense of Star Trek repeatedly failing in any area that it attempts that is not to my liking.
Discovery turned off so many fans in such a massive way that it was impossible for CBS to salvage it. At least Enterprise tried and has the excuse of having ended so early before it really got its flaws ironed out like TNG did. (Thanks Les Moonves for cancelling it so soon, since he never liked science fiction to begin with.)

I do think that Discovery will be rendered non-canon and that Star Trek will come back with much better people who will respect the franchise.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I hope so. I really do. I don't want Star Trek to be a franchisee that left me behind... or the left the ethos that guided it for fifty years behind, for that matter. Now, more than ever, we could use some quality, optimistic science fiction with thoughtful writing and a bit of cleverness... not just laser gun fights.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Zarm wrote:I hope so. I really do. I don't want Star Trek to be a franchisee that left me behind... or the left the ethos that guided it for fifty years behind, for that matter. Now, more than ever, we could use some quality, optimistic science fiction with thoughtful writing and a bit of cleverness... not just laser gun fights.
I fell that way with my first childhood favorite franchise, Jurassic Park. The last movie really turned me off with how stupid it was and all the plot holes. And don't even get me started about how stupid the ending was with the cliffhanger ending. At this point, the best years of JP were back in the 1990's via the original Jurassic Park and The Lost World, which was the last good JP movie made and thus, the last JP movie that Universal ever cared about. After 1997, Universal has been making JP movies for the sake of...whatever and with no plan.

JP3: Made for the sake of a JP trilogy.

JW: Made for the sake of it finally being made.

JW:FK: A bridge movie made for the sake of the next movie a la BvS.

JW3/JP6: It will be made for the sake of ending the franchise.

If there is any consolation for me, it's that I've largely replaced JP with Trek, TOS, TNG, and DS9. That and the Critchton estate gets the rights back after the next movie. Hopefully, another movie company, I prefer WB, gets the rights.

In any case, starting at 23:00, this very interesting You Tube video says that the Prime timeline really never was talking about the old established Trek timeline.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

An incredibly well made & informative mini-documentary about
the behind the scenes issues for the Star Trek franchise.

Definitely worth a watch.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Thank God for Netflix.

In my Trek immersion, I am through Season 2 of TNG and the show keeps getting better, with the best stuff still on the way.

They just don't make them like this anymore.

Watching through as much Star Trek as I have in the last couple of months, it really has made me pine for stand alone episodes and less season long story arcs.

Some shows do it better than others, but some shows try way too hard to have season long arcs with a lot of stretching, forced foreshadowing, and pointless detours to keep the drama going. Shows like the many Star Trek shows, Batman the Animated Series, and the Monster of the Week episodes of X-Files excel in telling complete stories with each episode, and there is value to that as well as I feel like you get a satisfying beginning, middle, and end with character development and experimentation with the material. And if the complete story is good enough, why wouldn't I want to watch more?

To mention X Files again, I get way more excited for the stand alone monster episodes as that is where we get the best Mulder/Scully moments and the most creative stories and monsters, while the Alien Conspiracy story arc episodes just prolong an overly complicated and convoluted arc that I stopped caring about by Season 6.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GojiDog wrote:Thank God for Netflix.

In my Trek immersion, I am through Season 2 of TNG and the show keeps getting better, with the best stuff still on the way.

Here, here!
GojiDog wrote:Watching through as much Star Trek as I have in the last couple of months, it really has made me pine for stand alone episodes and less season long story arcs.
Once again, here, here!

Added in 2 hours 4 minutes 13 seconds:
Grievous wrote:An incredibly well made & informative mini-documentary about

Wow. Mind blown. So much makes more sense now...

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Zarm wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Thank God for Netflix.

Here, here!
GojiDog wrote:Watching through as much Star Trek as I have in the last couple of months, it really has made me pine for stand alone episodes and less season long story arcs.
Once again, here, here!

Added in 2 hours 4 minutes 13 seconds:
Grievous wrote:An incredibly well made & informative mini-documentary about

Wow. Mind blown. So much makes more sense now...

Yeah. Midnight's Edge is a great You Tube channel. They got started covering the trainwreck known as Fant4stic, then GB 2016 with some BvS mixed in, then Wonder Woman, STD, SW, some Alien and Predator, the MCU, the DCEU (or whatever it's called now) and now Star Trek. I'm part of their Facebook group. If you have an account, join in. :D

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Yeah. Midnight's Edge is a great You Tube channel. They got started covering the trainwreck known as Fant4stic, then GB 2016 with some BvS mixed in, then Wonder Woman, STD, SW, some Alien and Predator, the MCU, the DCEU (or whatever it's called now) and now Star Trek. I'm part of their Facebook group. If you have an account, join in. :D
Thanks for the offer Rhed...but I don't use Facebook...or any type/kind of social media.

Life is just easier without that sh!t.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

So, I'm thinking about rewatching The Motion Picture, but I don't know which version to watch. Should I watch:
The 132 min Theatrical Cut, The 143 min TV Cut (a.k.a. The Special Longer Version), Or The 136 min Director's Cut?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

MikeSTZillak wrote:So, I'm thinking about rewatching The Motion Picture, but I don't know which version to watch. Should I watch:
The 132 min Theatrical Cut, The 143 min TV Cut (a.k.a. The Special Longer Version), Or The 136 min Director's Cut?
I always favor the Director's Cut. It's not in high def, but the tightened edit, completed sequences, and sound mix do so much to elevate the movie, for me.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

:facepalm:

Added in 5 days 18 hours 12 minutes 31 seconds:
So...I FINALLY finished Season 1 of The Orville...
(I don't normally watch TV shows...I'm a movie guy)
and...I just don't know how I feel about the show.

I mean...it looks good, the characters are pretty solid
& I like the overall tone& vibe of the show...

But...(Hitomi Tanaka's Butt)...

Every plot feels like a regurgitation of an "old" Star
Trek episode...and its INCREDIBLY distracting.

I mean I know its just Seth MacFarlane "role-playing"
TNG...but...I kind of wish the show had something
different or special about it so it had its own identity.

Not to mention I've read my favorite character has
been written out of the show in Season 2 (of which
I haven't seen any episodes yet) so...I honestly
don't know if I'm sticking around for the second
season.

*Thinks*

I just don't know.