Your Favorite Movies.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Re: Your Favorite Movies.

Post by TyrantGojira »

Jurassic Park
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
How to Train Your Dragon
Ed Wood
The Green Mile
Grand Torino
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
The Thing (1982)
Robocop (1987)
Tarzan (1999)
Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
American Werewolf in London
Up
Clue
King Kong (1933)
Godzilla 2000
Blazing Saddels
The Princess Bride
Blues Brothers
Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
Coming to America
Hardcore Henry
Freddy vs. Jason
Pacific Rim
Toy Story 2
Shrek 2
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gamera 3 Revenge of Iris
Spiderman (2002)
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Tommy Boy
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Pulp Fiction
The Sound of Music
Predator
Return of the Jedi
The Lion King
Evil Dead 2
Sweeney Todd
Terminator 2
Ghostbusters (1984)
The Producers (2005)
Tremors
Reanimator
Frankenstein (1931)
Logan
Spaceballs
Clash of the Titans
Meet the Feebles.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

In terms of specific category, Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith is my favorite of the franchise. Part of it might be nostalgia as I went to see it with my best friend for his birthday, but I still think it has splendid effects and pretty good acting with only a few hiccups. I don't feel like it's talking down to me like some of the new films or grubbing for nostalgia, using some familiar stuff while still using a lot of new locations and appearances.

The Lost World is my favorite of the JP franchise. Yes, the gymnastics kick is silly, but I seriously think people nitpicked the heck out of this movie while ignoring the weird parts of the first film. Why is it okay to harp on Nick Van Owen (a womanizing liar) disarming Roland's gun (and only that gun) in TLW but completely ignore the aimless subplot of dinosaur breeding (given content cut from the novels), the Tyrannosaurus being loud at times and stealthy others, or the miraculous skeleton breaks in the first film? The effects were improved by an extra four years of refinement by the same teams, there's lots more creature action, the setting is a nice change; and I really got a kick out of the dinosaur media tributes at play. Is it flawless, heck no. But when I want to enjoy myself with a dinosaur movie, it's my Go-To.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I'm sure that I'll be revising this till my time on this world comes to an end, but I've always wanted to do this so here goes!
  • 20. Jesus Christ Superstar
    18. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    17. The LEGO Movie
    16. Spirited Away
    15. Kiki's Delivery Service
    14. Lu Over the Wall
    13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 & 2
    12. Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
    11. Castle in the Sky
    10. The Iron Giant
    9. Whisper of the Heart
    8. Princess Mononoke
    7. GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    6. The Gamera Trilogy
    5. Gojira/Godzilla: King of the Monsters ('54)
    4. How to Train Your Dragon (1,2, and hopefully 3)
    3. Big Fish
    2. Lilo & Stich
    1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Well overall, for most of my favorite films:
1. Star Wars (all 6 original films, prequels included)
2. Jaws
3. Jurassic Park
4. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
5. The Princess Bride
6. Godzilla vs Destroyah
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
8. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
9. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
10: Transformers (2007)
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Well...I tend to keep my kaiju films separate from the other
genres I enjoy...so this list will not feature any kaiju films.

Them! (1954)
Alien (1979)
Kagemusha (1980)
Blade Runner(1982)
Gremlins (1984)
Ghostbusters (1984)
The Terminator 1984)
Robocop (1987)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Total Recall (1990)
Tremors (1990)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Ed Wood (1994)
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Snatch (2000)
Unbreakable (2000)
Death Note (2006)
Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)
Zodiac (2007)
Split (2016)

And I'm sure there is more...but that will do for now.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

Taxi Driver, American Psycho, and Eyes Wide Shut have solidified their place as some of my favorite movies of all time.
That's it. I'll watch some movies later.
Member of the League of Shadows.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Desghidorah wrote: The Lost World is my favorite of the JP franchise. Yes, the gymnastics kick is silly, but I seriously think people nitpicked the heck out of this movie while ignoring the weird parts of the first film. Why is it okay to harp on Nick Van Owen (a womanizing liar) disarming Roland's gun (and only that gun) in TLW but completely ignore the aimless subplot of dinosaur breeding (given content cut from the novels), the Tyrannosaurus being loud at times and stealthy others, or the miraculous skeleton breaks in the first film? The effects were improved by an extra four years of refinement by the same teams, there's lots more creature action, the setting is a nice change; and I really got a kick out of the dinosaur media tributes at play. Is it flawless, heck no. But when I want to enjoy myself with a dinosaur movie, it's my Go-To.
Bravo! :applause:

Or the aimless subplot of Grant hating kids. It was lame, unnecessary, and completely made up by Spielberg and co. At least the dinosaurs breeding had a basis in the book and was meant to give some weight to Malcolm's chaos theory talk. Of course dinosaurs breeding and getting off the mainland was a major plot point in the novel and it is sorely missing from the film if you ask me. Though in hindsight it did help to lay foundation for TLW.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Desghidorah wrote: The Lost World is my favorite of the JP franchise. Yes, the gymnastics kick is silly, but I seriously think people nitpicked the heck out of this movie while ignoring the weird parts of the first film. Why is it okay to harp on Nick Van Owen (a womanizing liar) disarming Roland's gun (and only that gun) in TLW but completely ignore the aimless subplot of dinosaur breeding (given content cut from the novels), the Tyrannosaurus being loud at times and stealthy others, or the miraculous skeleton breaks in the first film? The effects were improved by an extra four years of refinement by the same teams, there's lots more creature action, the setting is a nice change; and I really got a kick out of the dinosaur media tributes at play. Is it flawless, heck no. But when I want to enjoy myself with a dinosaur movie, it's my Go-To.
Bravo! :applause:

Or the aimless subplot of Grant hating kids. It was lame, unnecessary, and completely made up by Spielberg and co. At least the dinosaurs breeding had a basis in the book and was meant to give some weight to Malcolm's chaos theory talk. Of course dinosaurs breeding and getting off the mainland was a major plot point in the novel and it is sorely missing from the film if you ask me. Though in hindsight it did help to lay foundation for TLW.
Oh very much so! I love the Jurassic Park series but I love all of the series. If someone says they love the first movie and treat it as gold, while saying the sequels are all nothing but crap, I feel that someone risks being hypocritical. Heck, the NC review of TLW was almost nothing but nitpicks that ranges from odd things to harp on (like the raptor reacting to Kelly shouting at it) to outright lies (like saying Nick Van Owen took away all the hunter's weapons when he obviously didn't, people are shooting guns later).

Are they perfect? No. Could you make the argument some of the series are better than others? Certainly. But I feel the nostalgia goggles are very strong with some to ignore the faults in the first film to such a degree they go out of their way to bash the sequels.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Or the aimless subplot of Grant hating kids. It was lame, unnecessary, and completely made up by Spielberg and co.
It’s not a subplot nor is it “aimless.” It’s not integrated all that well but it does serve a purpose: to develop Grant more. I think it also helps balance out the character roles after the decision to turn Hammond into a nice guy.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Or the aimless subplot of Grant hating kids. It was lame, unnecessary, and completely made up by Spielberg and co.
It’s not a subplot nor is it “aimless.”
Indeed, it took a plot thread already present (Grant and the kids making their way back together) and gave it some character shading which was sadly absent from the novel.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Last edited by tbeasley on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Hm...

I don't have a lot of favorite movies... Even Godzilla movies don't make the cut... But I think the ones I like enough to watch more than once would be the films of Jan Svankmajer (Alice, Little Otik, etc.) and Hayao Miyazaki (everyone knows his work). Not that I like everything they make, but I find their work consistently amazing and enjoyable.

Oh, and Jacob's Ladder! Definitely Jacob's Ladder.

Ringu has also left a deep impression on me in terms of horror (I prefer it over the messy and cluttered American Ring).

I also have a soft spot for The Dark Crystal, but if only Jen were a better protagonist, or just make Kira the main character! Also a shame the movie couldn't expand on the multilayered mysticism inherent in its world's setting and history. I wonder if the movie could have been better if it were presented as a series of interconnected segments narrated by Aughra, from her mythical birth out of stone and wood to the restoration of the Crystal, with the fluid and enchanting atmosphere of a fairytale.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Post by CommanderBowser »

Here is some of my favourite films

Note: they are listed by category

Kaiju Films
Godzilla: Final Wars
Godzilla (2014)
Kong: Skull Island
Pacific Rim
Godzilla vs Biollante
Terror of MechaGodzilla
King Kong vs Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
(Note, this is just to name a few)

Dinosaur Films
Jurassic World
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Jurassic Park (I love all the Jurassic Park films, even Jurassic Park 3)

MCU Films
Guardians of the Galaxy
All 3 Iron Man films
Dr.Strange
Ant-Man
(This is just to name a few that I saw)

Animated Movies
SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
SpongeBob SquarePants: the Sponge Out of Water
Amoung a few other animated films.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

My absolute favorite movie of all time is without a doubt The Dark Crystal. To me that film has been beautiful, mysterious magic since like kindergarten or maybe preschool, back whenever I first saw it. There's nothing else like it, and I simply love it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:My absolute favorite movie of all time is without a doubt The Dark Crystal. To me that film has been beautiful, mysterious magic since like kindergarten or maybe preschool, back whenever I first saw it. There's nothing else like it, and I simply love it.
I also fell in love with that movie as a kid. I got to see a 35mm screening a few years back, and that was awesome.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Top 10 favorite movies of all time

Post by KManX89 »

Pretty self-explanatory.

Anyways:

1. The Matrix
2. The Dark Knight
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
4. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
5. Gladiator
6. Inception
7. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Shawshank Redemption
10. Aliens

HM: Joker, Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Godzilla 1954, Avengers: Endgame, Logan, John Wick 3
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Top 10 favorite movies of all time

Post by eabaker »

Literally impossible for me to do.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think I did this before so I'm gonna try something new: my ten favorite films that don't feature some kind of creature, monster or otherwise supernatural phenomenon. In other words, my ten favorite movies just about people.

- The Blues Brothers
- The Great Dictator
- True Stories
- Forrest Gump
- Rocky
- OfficeSpace
- 12 Angry Men
- Ed Wood
- Singin in the Rain
- Good Morning Vietnam
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Oof that's an toughie. Too many to count.

Among my favs though would be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, Kong: Skull Island, The Brave Little Toaster and Alligator (1980).

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I can't even narrow it down to a top 10 so here's a top 20, listed chronologically because I can't rank them.
- Casablanca
- Godzilla
- Psycho
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- The Godfather
- Apocalypse Now (Redux)
- The Empire Strikes Back
- Blade Runner (The Final Cut)
- Unforgiven
- Reservoir Dogs
- Jurassic Park
- Toy Story
- Office Space
- Gamera: Revenge of Iris
- GMK
- The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
- The Dark Knight
- The Hangover
- Django Unchained
- Mad Max: Fury Road
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy