DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Let's be perfectly honest. No movie needs to be 4 hours long. May as well make it into two parts. Honestly that's what should have been done for Justice League.

For any movie 2 hours or anymore then that should be the limit just as long as its paced well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am Let's be perfectly honest. No movie needs to be 4 hours long. May as well make it into two parts. Honestly that's what should have been done for Justice League.

For any movie 2 hours or anymore then that should be the limit just as long as its paced well.
The extended cut of Watchmen is about four hours and it's absolutely incredible. The run time isn't the problem; it's how you fill the run time.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 amThe extended cut of Watchmen is about four hours and it's absolutely incredible. The run time isn't the problem; it's how you fill the run time.
I still stand IMO no movie should be anymore then 2 hours or more and if anything should be made into two parts then but that's just me.

At least with threatical films.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am
Maritonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 amThe extended cut of Watchmen is about four hours and it's absolutely incredible. The run time isn't the problem; it's how you fill the run time.
I still stand IMO no movie should be anymore then 2 hours or more and if anything should be made into two parts then but that's just me.

For me, it's fine if the quality is worth it. King Kong 2005, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Godfather 1 and 2 are well over two hours each. It's quality not quantity. For me, at least.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 amFor me, it's fine if the quality is worth it. King Kong 2005, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Godfather 1 and 2 are well over two hours each. It's quality not quantity. For me, at least.
And that's fine, everyone thinks differently alike, I was just expressing my opinion.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I don't see anyone talking about how this isn't the original Snyder Cut. This mf sat on Vero humoring his cultists with their grasping at fan theories and references with a notepad and threw in Martin Manhunter and Da Jokah Babee who lives in a SOCIETY.
Bear in mind I actually dig Snyder as a filmmaker, I really grew to appreciate BvS and MoS, and I've never really liked Joss Whedon so this isn't coming from a Snyder hater.
I just don't like how it's been strongly implied and accepted that this is just an extended cut of what we would have got in theaters in 2017.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MM was always in his original vision, as was Joker. The society quote was ofc ad-libbed by Jim Carrey-Joker Jared Leto.

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am Let's be perfectly honest. No movie needs to be 4 hours long. May as well make it into two parts. Honestly that's what should have been done for Justice League.

The film does not work as a 2 parter.

4 hours is fine, and should be out there for those of us who'd like to see it.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:57 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am

For me, it's fine if the quality is worth it. King Kong 2005, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Godfather 1 and 2 are well over two hours each. It's quality not quantity. For me, at least.
I cannot imagine wanting to watch a two hour cut of Seven Samurai, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Imagine The Good The Bad The Ugly, except it's chronological and they're all introduced in a 15 second suicide squad sequence at the beginning.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Moved under the request of mod and to a more appropriate thread.
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 amBatman V Superman was not a bad film, made $872.7 million, and got mixed to positive reviews. It deserves all the credit for attempting to do something larger than life with the genre, instead of falling into the generic happy-go-lucky trope.
Aside from the fact Batman vs. Superman has a 29% on RottenTomatoes. Also the dark and gritty tone only works for Batman, it doesn't for Superman, just because the former is more popular doesn't mean the latter should do the same approach as well. When I think of Superman I'm thinking of the symbol of hope, altruism, and boy scout. For as burned out I am with the MCU's formula and tone, Superman fits more into that than dark and gritty, even then I'm not saying it would have to copy that and just do its own style and approach but still making it light-hearted.

I also wasn't saying Godzilla vs. Kong was a bad film. I loved it in spite of its problems.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:55 amI agree to this, Batman and Superman are way more popular Godzilla and Kong, and some how they each less positive review then The monsterverse
When you really think about it. Legendary Kong at the very least is far more of a hero than DCEU Batman and Superman.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:25 am, edited 8 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:03 am Moved under the request of mod and to a more appropriate thread.
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 amBatman V Superman was not a bad film, made $872.7 million, and got mixed to positive reviews. It deserves all the credit for attempting to do something larger than life with the genre, instead of falling into the generic happy-go-lucky trope.
Aside from the fact Batman vs. Superman has a 29% on RottenTomatoes.

Not to mention among its problems being turning Batman into the Punisher, how Batman and Superman puts things aside because their mother's have the same name (Also who the skreeonk calls their mother by their first name?), Lex Luthor coming across as this Joker/Riddler wannabe that Jesse Eisenberg would be better off playing, etc. Superman also shouldn't be dark and gritty. Just because Batman is popular, more so than Superman doesn't mean Superman should have the same tone either being he's a boy scout, a symbol of hope, and altruistic.

I also wasn't saying Godzilla vs. Kong was a bad film. I loved it in spite of its problems.
- Batman wasn't turned into the Punisher, he was given an arc of redemption. He became what he swore he never would, he lost his way, he gave into the rage, he blinked when looking into the abyss, because he's human, he isn't perfect, he lost hope. That's the whole central theme of BvS, is finding hope when there isn't any. It's a very real, and relatable arc.

- The Martha scene has been explained in-depth countless times since 2016, I'm surprised you haven't heard them. The name "Martha" reminds him of the traumatic childhood incident that has defined his entire life and the sole moment responsible for his crime-fighting career. Clark mentioning his mother shows Bruce that Superman is more than just a destructive alien force with the power of a god, he's human too. It resets Batman’s moral compass.

* Also, he mentions his mother by her first name because he wants Batman to save her. If you were dying and your mom was somewhere else about to die, you wouldn't say "Save my mom" because that gives the person who needs to save her, little to no information.

- Jesse Eisenberg played Lex Luthor Jr., abused as a child by his perfectionist father, Lex became jaded, realized God isn't real because if he was, he would've been saved long ago. Instead he has a variety of mental illnesses that stem from his traumatic childhood, so he covers these illnesses up the best way he can, with a smile and what he believes to be eccentric charm.

- Superman has never been dark and gritty, there is nothing "dark and gritty" about DCEU Superman. Unless you mean a Superman with an actual personality, actual flaws, an individual who isn't always smiling in the face of existential crisis. He is an alien, from a planet he never knew, with powers no one else possesses, that alone would cause conflict. Now add all the responsibilities he willingly gave himself, his mother was right, he doesn't NEED to save anyone, he can remain safe and sound with his family, but he won't, because he knows he can use his powers to save others. On top of that, add all the doubts billions of people are having about his place on their planet, politically, emotionally etc. He has ALWAYS been a Symbol of Hope in the DCEU that has never changed. The boyscout, cat stuck in a tree saving, all smiles all jolly all the time Superman hasn't been relevant since the 30s. That character is not interesting.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

This is all just a matter of opinion then, lets agree to disagree.
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:24 am- The Martha scene has been explained in-depth countless times since 2016, I'm surprised you haven't heard them. The name "Martha" reminds him of the traumatic childhood incident that has defined his entire life and the sole moment responsible for his crime-fighting career. Clark mentioning his mother shows Bruce that Superman is more than just a destructive alien force with the power of a god, he's human too. It resets Batman’s moral compass.
I mean I get what they were trying to do it's just they make it seem across that way that I can't take it seriously, it was horribly executed, and should have done it better.

Think of something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxraf2K5rBw
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

As much as I have major criticisms of the DCEU, like *major*, JNavs is right on the money (though boy scout Superman can absolutely be interesting, it just has to be done right.)

Snyder is a lot of things, but he does clearly have a set vision of these characters, and superheroes in general, accuracy be damned.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:31 am As much as I have major criticisms of the DCEU, like *major*, JNavs is right on the money (though boy scout Superman can absolutely be interesting, it just has to be done right.)

Snyder is a lot of things, but he does clearly have a set vision of these characters, and superheroes in general, accuracy be damned.
100%, and I completely understand not enjoying these interpretations, everyone has their own set idea of where they'd want these stories to go. But for me, I feel Snyder's vision lines up exactly with what I'd want to see from superheroes.

He flips the script on all these characters, puts them in uncomfortable situations, yet still manages to keep their core outcomes the same, and I will always praise him for that. The set vision he has, it's something we really haven't seen from the genre ever.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I highly disagree about boycott Superman. Revees pulled it off and even Tom Welling did a good job. And Lex is about as muchex as Godzilla 98 was Godzilla. It works if you mention he's Alexander Luthor Jr but they should have planned better for Lex.

And Batman using guns is too much of a shift. He's lost his way before and given into rage without killing. Breaking limbs, rubber bullets and brutal beatings would have gotten the same point across.

As for B vs S good or bad is subjective but something went wrong. Any film with Batman and Superman should have crossed 1 billion and on top of that they had WW.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

On the Superman dark and gritty talk, I both agree and disagree. Superman can work in a darker, grittier movie. Superman can really shine in that kind of a movie. The trick is that Superman himself can't be dark. In a dark and gritty setting, Superman works as the light in the darkness, the stalwart protector who drags the whole thing back into a place of hope and optimism. The problem with the DCEU Superman is he himself was too somber and broody to be that effectively.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Considering how we've had the bright and hopeful, faithful adaptation of Superman in the past, I'm not sure I agree that Superman "can't" be dark. While it may not be the textbook 1:1 adaptation, it could still function as a different look at the character. Some of the best moments in the DCAU include Superman going very dark. I think anything is possible, to whatever degree of quality, with any character. Liking it or not is something else.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I think we can have dark Superman.

The only reason I don't want it is this is supposed to be a UNIVERSE. Like, the same way MCU will always tell stories with their version of Iron Man or Spider-Man, this universe will always have this version of Superman for these stories, stories that will stay for years and will no doubt influence where the character is taken elsewhere (Look at pre-2014 Guardians of the Galaxy). I like dark Superman as an alternative, I don't want it to be the mainstay.

It also doesn't help between Injustice and Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League, it seems to be the only idea WB has to make Superman content......

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 am I think we can have dark Superman.

The only reason I don't want it is this is supposed to be a UNIVERSE. Like, the same way MCU will always tell stories with their version of Iron Man or Spider-Man, this universe will always have this version of Superman for these stories, stories that will stay for years and will no doubt influence where the character is taken elsewhere (Look at pre-2014 Guardians of the Galaxy). I like dark Superman as an alternative, I don't want it to be the mainstay.

It also doesn't help between Injustice and Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League, it seems to be the only idea WB has to make Superman content......
That's why I'm against shared universes for movie storytelling. Just tell the story that's best for the character, like Nolan and Bale did for Batman, and forget having to fit in with some larger universe.

That said, Injustice and SS: KtJL aren't dark Superman stories - they're evil Superman stories. No one wants an evil Superman save WB's gaming division, Snyder, and edgelord Batman fans. You can tell a darker Superman story without turning him into a villain.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Except Evil Superman works. Can't just gloss over entire pieces of active fandom for the sake of making us seem smaller and more insignificant in comparison to some boogeyman "majority".

He shouldn't always be evil, but no one can deny he works perfectly as a villain.