DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Today is the day so excited

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Well, I'm going to have to avoid this thread for a couple weeks or so to avoid spoilers. I never go opening week, too crowded. But I won't be able to wait too long, I've been looking forward to seeing this ever since the first teaser dropped. And the reviews are all positive too!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Watching Batman now

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Just got back a wow this film is a character study on Batman and the various people of Gotham with some bold twist and interesting seeds. Robert Pattinson really shines as a more flawed Batman who's still trying to find his place in the world, he's not my favorite Batman but he's pretty close. Probably the best superhero film since Logan

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 pm Probably the best superhero film since Logan
This one sentence doubled my excitement for this weekend.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:27 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 pm Probably the best superhero film since Logan
It's definitely gave me some Logan vibes for sure but I truly enjoyed it and the cast was awesome.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:27 pm
I'm going to doubt it since NWH came out after Logan. Can't wait for the home release.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

It was REALLY good. Struck a cool tone. Aesthetics, performances etc were all aces. You could split hairs and make an argument towards trimming the film but frankly...I felt that it earned the run time. It had a big, long story to tell and was effectively paced and structured throughout. Plenty of seeds planted for future stories.

As far as DC goes, I want Justice League 2 and 3 more than anything else, but I will gladly enjoy this trilogy as well.

It felt like it has been so long since we've gotten a TRULY "Solo" superhero movie with no allusions or connections or ties to anything else.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Going to go to a fan first event later today at around 6. It feels great to be hyped about a Batman film again.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:08 pmIt felt like it has been so long since we've gotten a TRULY "Solo" superhero movie with no allusions or connections or ties to anything else.
And no fast-food approach quippy humor and one-liners.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:24 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:08 pmIt felt like it has been so long since we've gotten a TRULY "Solo" superhero movie with no allusions or connections or ties to anything else.
And no fast-food approach quippy humor and one-liners.
I keep coming across Batman fans tired of "gritty dark 'realism' depressing emo Batman' as they more or less put it and want a lighthearted escapist adventure Batman. I've basically taken to interpreting that as a wish for "MCU-styled Batman" at this point. Considering every other superhero movie is either the MCU or aping it, I like the variety of "not that" that Batman brings.

(I know I said I'd avoid this thread until after I saw the movie, but doesn't look like anyone's discussing anything spoiler-y yet and I'm weak willed and so amped to see this.)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If the mcu is McDonald's Then Batman is Taco Bell. Fast Food doesn't mean it's bad it's just dependable.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 pm If the mcu is McDonald's Then Batman is Taco Bell. Fast Food doesn't mean it's bad it's just dependable.
Wasn't knocking the MCU or saying it was bad - but if all you ever get is McDonald's, eventually lunch Taco Bell becomes a darn exciting prospect.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Batman is absolutely capable of pulling off a lighthearted tone and has done so a thousand times in the past. The MCU didn't invent non-dark 'n' gritty superheroes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:25 pm Batman is absolutely capable of pulling off a lighthearted tone and has done so a thousand times in the past. The MCU didn't invent non-dark 'n' gritty superheroes.
Oh I agree - I'm just saying I'm glad that Batman isn't given a lighthearted tone. There's too few superhero movies that doesn't feel like a lighthearted comedic MCU joint to me. Maybe you disagree, but it feels like most movies are in that style, and I just like getting something different.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:40 pm If the mcu is McDonald's Then Batman is Taco Bell. Fast Food doesn't mean it's bad it's just dependable.
Wasn't knocking the MCU or saying it was bad - but if all you ever get is McDonald's, eventually lunch Taco Bell becomes a darn exciting prospect.
My post wasn't to combative to yours. I'm just making a statement on how both the MCU and Batman have formulas that neither stray too far from.

People Iike the comedic MCU films and like the Dark Batman films.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Vakanai wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pmWasn't knocking the MCU or saying it was bad - but if all you ever get is McDonald's, eventually lunch Taco Bell becomes a darn exciting prospect.
Probably the most accurate thing I've heard in a long time... :lol:
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:25 pm Batman is absolutely capable of pulling off a lighthearted tone and has done so a thousand times in the past. The MCU didn't invent non-dark 'n' gritty superheroes.
But it most certainly revolutionized it to the point of having an impact on media that even horror movies today can't sway from and sadly the MonsterVerse since King of the Monsters, all desperate to cash-in on its success. Really hate the impact it had left because I'd rather franchises be their own thing rather then copy.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:56 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pmWasn't knocking the MCU or saying it was bad - but if all you ever get is McDonald's, eventually lunch Taco Bell becomes a darn exciting prospect.
Probably the most accurate thing I've heard in a long time... :lol:
But it most certainly revolutionized it to the point of having an impact on media that even horror movies today can't sway from and sadly the MonsterVerse since King of the Monsters, all desperate to cash-in on its success. Really hate the impact it had left because I'd rather franchises be their own thing rather then copy.
Horror movies were funny in the 80's before the MCU and Kotm was copying the showa and Heisei tones combined.

The second something goes from movie to franchise it is copying something from another franchise.

Even the MCU's tone goes back to the OT Star Wars films.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I've been waiting so long for The Batman. I can most certainly say it's gonna deliver.

Even if its runtime is too long IMO.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Saw it tonight at the big fan event pre-screening.

The Dark Knight has been dethroned.

What a phenomenal movie, I don't think I've enjoyed a comic book movie this much in at least a decade. Give Matt Reeves whatever he wants, Warner. Let him be the Feige of this new Batman universe. The opening ~20 minutes was the single greatest Batman-related media in at least 30 years. Reeves gets Batman, through and through. Pattinson knocked it out of the park. I can't wait to see his Batman and Bruce evolve over the next few chapters. Zoe Kravitz and Colin Farrell also shine. Same goes for Jeffrey Wright's James Gordon. And John Turturro! Andy Serkis too! This cast was top tier, really. Such a good lineup.

And of course, Paul Dano? Dare I say even Heath Ledger has been knocked off his perch as the top cinematic Batman villain. What a performance, honestly amazing at how well he played a sadistic and disturbed character. I loved how tightly written the Riddler was. I love his mannerisms, his look, his plans and his character.

Michael Giacchino, man...it should be a crime to compose music so fucking deliciously integrated into the identity of a film. It's Elfman-esque in the best possible way and also so intrinsically linked to the on-screen action that it essentially feels like a secondary character.

I was blown away by it. I haven't felt this way about a movie, much less a comic book-oriented one, in such a long time. Applause all around to the cast and crew. I'm gonna try to see it again multiple times before it leaves theaters.