DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by CyberZilla »

The publicity angle is a fair point. People ARE talking about the project, which means there’s interest, and that means there’s a definite audience. Whether or not this audience will enjoy the end product, only time will tell.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So the next year is about to get intreasting. As some may know AT&T is selling Warrner media to Discovery and nownit is rumored that Discovery would like to pass DC of to Amazon, Netflix or Disney.

While it wouldn't be th le best news for comic book films we could potentially see Batman or Superman walk into the mcu in the next decade.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think there'd be no greater loss to CBMs, than giving the DCU to Disney if I'm being honest. They don't need that empire, they really don't.

They need to sell to Netflix or Amazon.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/VzUqR9p0Wrk

Forgot the link.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm I think there'd be no greater loss to CBMs, than giving the DCU to Disney if I'm being honest. They don't need that empire, they really don't.

They need to sell to Netflix or Amazon.
It's a double edged sword. Feige would treat Superman better than WB has been doing but then we lose films like Joker.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I would prefer DC and marvel retain a competition-element to their media. If Disney gets their paws on it, things get muddy.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:54 pm I would prefer DC and marvel retain a competition-element to their media. If Disney gets their paws on it, things get muddy.
The thing people seem to be forgetting is they have to have their sale approved by the government, and call me a glowing optimist (pessimist?), but I doubt they'd approve any more Disney acquisitions at this point.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KManX89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:58 pm
CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:54 pm I would prefer DC and marvel retain a competition-element to their media. If Disney gets their paws on it, things get muddy.
The thing people seem to be forgetting is they have to have their sale approved by the government, and call me a glowing optimist (pessimist?), but I doubt they'd approve any more Disney acquisitions at this point.
Disney could likely take DC but they couldn't take the entire Warner media.

Added in 44 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:31 pm
KManX89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:58 pm
Disney could likely take DC but they couldn't take the entire Warner media.
This would be the third time Marvel or DC tired to merge with one another.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun May 23, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm So the next year is about to get intreasting. As some may know AT&T is selling Warrner media to Discovery and nownit is rumored that Discovery would like to pass DC of to Amazon, Netflix or Disney.

While it wouldn't be th le best news for comic book films we could potentially see Batman or Superman walk into the mcu in the next decade.
Oh sweet Jesus no!!!!

Look, I get it, everyone loves the MCU - but that doesn't mean every single superhero should be in the MCU, or that every superhero movie should feel like the MCU! The MCU will never give us a movie like The Dark Knight, Logan, Joker, the upcoming The Batman, or other distinctly non-MCU films.

The MCU already defines superhero films too much as is. We need more variety, not less.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

An MCU Superman might be the only way I would be highly interested in seeing Brie Larson because I would honestly like see Captain Marvel hang out with Clark Kent.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm an MCU fan through and through and integrating DC into that universe sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario. Not only has the MCU already been established enough that integrating something of that magnitude is nonsensically cluttered (something that goes against the implied mantra of Kevin Feige and co.), but the two universe just clash too much tonally.

Out of all the possible parties that might buy DC, I think Netflix is the most likely candidate as they could use an IP boost for their service now that dozens of others have arrived that are banking on their libraries of IPs to get subscribers. Netflix being the home of DC content would get a few heads to turn in their direction.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Never gonna happen the government would not allow it and DC is among Warner Media's most valuable IPs, Discovery's not gonna sell it anytime soon and Disney certainly is in no position to acquire anything major in a few years.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Basically it's a baseless rumor started solely by people who want Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to join the MCU.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm honestly kinda hoping Amazon gets hold of the brand. They do pretty well with superhero stuff if Invincible and The Boys' warm reception is anything to go by.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:04 pm I'm honestly kinda hoping Amazon gets hold of the brand. They do pretty well with superhero stuff if Invincible and The Boys' warm reception is anything to go by.
I think that would be decent, so long as they are willing to put in the proper budgets for projects. DC heroes are some of the biggest comics properties, with boundless potential. Done right, they can rival the Marvel roster in cinema (we haven't seen much of that under WB lately). It is less of a risk, then, to implement high budgets for these projects than the Boys or Invincible were.
I really want DC movies to do well in the future, so whoever can ensure that is good in my book

Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:38 am I'm an MCU fan through and through and integrating DC into that universe sounds like an absolute nightmare scenario. Not only has the MCU already been established enough that integrating something of that magnitude is nonsensically cluttered (something that goes against the implied mantra of Kevin Feige and co.), but the two universe just clash too much tonally.

Out of all the possible parties that might buy DC, I think Netflix is the most likely candidate as they could use an IP boost for their service now that dozens of others have arrived that are banking on their libraries of IPs to get subscribers. Netflix being the home of DC content would get a few heads to turn in their direction.
Netflix is going to be scooping up the Monsterverse rights lol.
DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:52 pm Never gonna happen the government would not allow it and DC is among Warner Media's most valuable IPs, Discovery's not gonna sell it anytime soon and Disney certainly is in no position to acquire anything major in a few years.
If they bought just DC it wouldn't be a monopoly.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, Disney could very well buy DC without WB's full library without it being a monopoly. If it'll happen... Not sure how I'd even feel about it, honestly. I really don't care much for a lot of DC's material, comic and movie wise. But if we could get a Lobo/Deadpool crossover. And the likes of Batman and Green Lantern joining a main Marvel timeline would be great.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:22 pm Yeah, Disney could very well buy DC without WB's full library without it being a monopoly. If it'll happen... Not sure how I'd even feel about it, honestly. I really don't care much for a lot of DC's material, comic and movie wise. But if we could get a Lobo/Deadpool crossover. And the likes of Batman and Green Lantern joining a main Marvel timeline would be great.
I see pros and cons on both sides really. With Both sides playing around with the multiverse they could keep a DCU and the MCU separate and build up to a crossover later. As said before I would want Superman to be in the MCU because I would love Feige's take on Superman.

A Marvel vs DC fighting game and comic crossovers maybe even an animated crossover on Disney+ I see being better than necessarily moving all the DC heroes into the MCU.

Speaking of Deadpool would love if he just woke up in the DCverse one day.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:04 pm I'm honestly kinda hoping Amazon gets hold of the brand. They do pretty well with superhero stuff if Invincible and The Boys' warm reception is anything to go by.
I think that would be decent, so long as they are willing to put in the proper budgets for projects. DC heroes are some of the biggest comics properties, with boundless potential. Done right, they can rival the Marvel roster in cinema (we haven't seen much of that under WB lately). It is less of a risk, then, to implement high budgets for these projects than the Boys or Invincible were.
I really want DC movies to do well in the future, so whoever can ensure that is good in my book
Can a streaming service reliant on subscriptions and doesn't use theaters to make profit really justify spending that kind of needed cash on just one film though? Not arguing, I legit don't know. There's a whole cost per series/movie and new subscriptions vs continued subscriptions math here that still goes over my head.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm Netflix is going to be scooping up the Monsterverse rights lol.
That's nowhere near as big of a get for the service as DC would be.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:24 am
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm Netflix is going to be scooping up the Monsterverse rights lol.
That's nowhere near as big of a get for the service as DC would be.
Besides, Netflix already has the anime movie trilogy and the anime tv series licensed. If Netflix really wanted to, I bet they could swing going in with Toho on producing their own live action Godzilla film/s separate from the Monsterverse. I mean, I don't know how the deal with Legendary works, regarding letting other studios have live action licenses or whatever, but if it's possible at all or if there's any loophole or workaround? I could see Netflix getting their own live action Goji to compete with MV.