DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

Just going to say, I like Rob's Batman but he doesn't seem Brice Wayne to me. Looks more like Dick Gryason or even terry mcginnis Batman.

I will say that the tone felt like Joker from the little I saw, so it wouldn't suprise me if they say how get Phoenix back down the line if Joker isn't casted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Batman looks great, The Suicide Squad looks fun.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

miguelnuva wrote:Just going to say, I like Rob's Batman but he doesn't seem Brice Wayne to me. Looks more like Dick Gryason or even terry mcginnis Batman.

I will say that the tone felt like Joker from the little I saw, so it wouldn't suprise me if they say how get Phoenix back down the line if Joker isn't casted.
I think he looks perfect for a "year one" Batman/Bruce.

Honestly it's a little refreshing to see a younger rookie Batman again after The Dark Knight Rises and the Synder films had older seasoned Dark Knight Returns portrayals. So many of the cartoons and games in the last few decades have portrayed Batman as a seasoned crime fighter too.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

miguelnuva wrote:Just going to say, I like Rob's Batman but he doesn't seem Brice Wayne to me. Looks more like Dick Gryason or even terry mcginnis Batman.
My thoughts exactly.

The Batman
My opinion is very much the same as it has been. I LOVE everything I see and hear about this movie EXCEPT for Pattinson....although he is winning me over. He is the main character, if he is 'a bit off' then the entire thing will feel a bit of....but if they are going for a sort of "Young and edgy" type of Bruce Wayne/Batman....that isn't a completely wrong interpretation, it can be done. One that is a bit more raw and not quite as buttoned up and refined. It can be good.

This is clearly being told at a stage in Wayne's life where he is very much in that "Nightwing/Batman Beyond" type of phase...rough around the edges but committed to Batman, not fully formed.

So yeah....I think The Batman looks quite good. I am glad that WB seems completely willing to make both shared universe films as well as one-offs and stand-alone stories. Knowing that in the back of it all they are also leaning into the 'multiverse' and could always use any kind of ridiculous plot device to create some omega-crossover if they see fit.

Wonder Woman 1984
I think it looks pretty awful. The first film was very much a WWI version of a hybrid between Captain America 1 and Thor 1. The 'wartime setting' and even the "Guy named Steve sacrificing himself in a plane to save the world" ending combined with the "superhuman fish out of water in our world" elements of Thor. All with a finale matching the messy CGI Doomsday fight from BvS. But it was good, NOT GREAT, but good. Gal Gadot did fit the role well, and I can see how many people found looking at her for 2 hours to be a pretty enjoyable experience. The film itself was not spectacular.

I think this followup looks pretty bad. CGI seems to be looking more and more messy these days. Like Studios and VFX companies are just content to consistently settle for making it to 2nd or 3rd and are never really aiming for home-runs any more. Like almost everyone in the industry got together and said "Ya know, 7 out of 10 is perfectly passable, so don't bother aiming for 10"

Either way, the CGI looks bad. ESPECIALLY Cheetah...very cartoon. Just laughable. I don't think Kristen Wiig is going to work in this role the way the filmmakers thought she would. I'm shocked they had the guts to put her in the trailer.

Also...Wonder Woman swinging on lightning bolts may be amazing and epic and cool for some people, for me it is just a bridge to far in ridiculous. That's some Batman and Robin type crap there.

Justice League
I'm very excited to see Snyder's version of the story. Whether 2 films or a 4 episode mini-series, I am very excited to see Snyder complete the story he set out to tell. He deserves for his vision to have its day in court and live or die on its own merits.

I very much liked the choice of music, straight out of a previous Snyder film. The lyrics also very much carried a "celebration of getting Snyder's version" tone as well as a sort of "Sorry things got jacked up by Whedon, I'm ready to show everyone what I was trying to do, for better or worse" kind of vibe.

The fact that this version is happening is a huge victory for the fans. They got Sonic fixed and it was a hit, they are getting the Snyder cut and it might be fantastic. This might be creating a very positive trend of giving the fans AKA customers what they want and not demonizing them. "The customer is always right" and when the customer is telling you outright that they don't like what you are giving them, and they tell you what they want in exchange for their money, you shouldn't demonize them or ignore them.

Hopefully Star Wars can find the same salvation.

The Suicide Squad
I LOVE that they aren't making Harley Quinn look like some 10 year old who is dressing herself for the first time. The more they just step right over and ignore Birds of Prey, the better. Truly a trash film.

I'm optimistic for the potential the film might have, but I need to see a bit more than a sizzle reel.

ALSO - I think the perfect tool to promote The Suicide Squad would be to give us the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad. From what he has said, it could be put together much more quickly, and much less expensively than The Snyder Cut of Justice League. If Snyder is allowed to give us his untainted vision of Justice League, then Ayer should absolutely be allowed to give us a version of Suicide Squad that he is happier with.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I really don't know where you got a Joker vibe from. It felt much more in line with the Nolan films in tone, albeit still different and it's own thing, than the Joker movie.

I'd rather this develop it's own Joker, and if Phoenix returns for a sequel to his film that they develop a new Batman for that continuity. Imagine getting two Jokers and two Batmen in two very different but awesome film continuities. DC really should double down on the Multiverse, it could be amazing!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Here's The Batman trailer in 4K courtesy of Matt Reeves -
https://vimeo.com/450541481

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:

I really don't know where you got a Joker vibe from. It felt much more in line with the Nolan films in tone, albeit still different and it's own thing, than the Joker movie.

I'd rather this develop it's own Joker, and if Phoenix returns for a sequel to his film that they develop a new Batman for that continuity. Imagine getting two Jokers and two Batmen in two very different but awesome film continuities. DC really should double down on the Multiverse, it could be amazing!
The trailer felt like a more personal version of Batman plus combined with a younger looking Bruce. Just what I felt from the trailer.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

The trailer felt like a more personal version of Batman plus combined with a younger looking Bruce. Just what I felt from the trailer.
Fair enough, each their own. It's definitely a more down and dirty Batman, which is going to be awesome. The whole noir feel to it, so stoked!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not bad. Has my interest at least. At least The Batman might actually be good. Not exactly a fan of the trailer itself but the overall footage shows promise.

Added in 1 hour 34 minutes 26 seconds:
I think Darkseid looks awful. What a waste.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Fun fact, The Batman uses ideas from an old rejected script from back in the early 2000s written by Darren Aronofsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcsYhYsHwuM

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

The Batman trailer looks dope as hell. Definitely a grittier noir take on The Bat. I loved the "I am vengeance" line at the end, ripped straight from the animated series ("I am vengeance, I am the night, I AM BATMAN!"). And Battinson really fucked that dude up.

I also liked what I saw from the Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad games, even though the Suicide Squad game was cinematic only. The graphics look so amazing on next-gen hardware I almost mistook it for an actual live-action trailer with real actors and CGI Killer Croc.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Here's my thoughts on all four trailers/teasers/whatever.

The Suicide Squad was the first one I watched. I love what I see (especially Harley's outfit referencing the clastic jester suit) and it's nice to see Sean Gunn playing yet another tiny fursonaanimal.

Then, I watched the Black Adam teaser, Not much of a reaction since there's no footage but Doctor Fate did catch me by surprise.

Next was Justice League. It feels good to finally see the true DCEU Steppenwolf in fully-rendered CGI again. Plus, we get a love-action Darkseid! Only downside is Mera still being here because... y'know, Amber Heard.

Finally, they released the first footage for The Batman. I released a reaction video for it but overall, I like what I see. Very surprised to see a black Gordon, by the way. Anyways, Battinson looks and sounds really good.

Out of these four, TSS was my favorite. By the way, does anyone else think King Shark looks a little bit too smooth and undetailed? To me, he looks like he came out of a CW show.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The Suicide Squad. I'm hoping for a bromance between Killer Croc and King Shark. What could be any better than two apex predators bonding especially two of the top ones on the food chain. The crocodile and the shark! :D

Also looking forward to Shazam 2 and Black Adam. The latter especially since it'll be supervillain film, starring Dwayne Johnson, and both mythology and set in ancient history which I love.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:The Suicide Squad. I'm hoping for a bromance between Killer Croc and King Shark. What could be any better than two apex predators bonding especially two of the top ones on the food chain. The crocodile and the shark! :D

Also looking forward to Shazam 2 and Black Adam. The latter especially since it'll be supervillain film, starring Dwayne Johnson, and both mythology and set in ancient history which I love.
I don't think Killer Croc is in the new one, sadly.

Seems Captain Boomerang, Harley, Rick Flag, and Waller are the only returning characters.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I don't think Killer Croc is in the new one, sadly.

Seems Captain Boomerang, Harley, Rick Flag, and Waller are the only returning characters.
Shame. They're missing an opportunity.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

need more weasle

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So just my thoughts from yesterdays BMan trailer

The Batman trailer is one of the best trailers we've seen in the past decade. Nirvana, 90s dark grunge vibes, subtle/quiet (fitting) color palette, and absolutely awesome Batman and Bruce Wayne, everyone seems to have slid into their roles like a glove, Riddler is being treated like an IRL Unabomber/Jigsaw type, the beatdown scene is brutal on a scale bar none.

It was the PERFECT Batman trailer. The PERFECT reinvention of that TDK real life grit.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I don't think Killer Croc is in the new one, sadly.

Shame. They're missing an opportunity.

There's always a possibility a third Suicide Squad might bring back Croc, Deadshot, and other characters who sat this one out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this series turns out like Fast and Furious. Mix matching the casts from different movies.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ALSO, the vibes felt similar to Joker, with that raw filter set to max, the crimes feeling more real than we've seen since the TDK films. I'm telling you guys it's definitely a possibility the two crossover. WB would be insane to pass up a chance like this. The timelines match up as well, if we consider The Batman takes place in the 90s.

(Oh and it's interesting they're using the SAME font as The Joker film, for... The Batman.)

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
For reference, now as a graphic designer who had quite a few classes in Typography, i can say usually when you're using the same font for a property, it's to keep a sense of continuity. Of course that's a far reach, but just something i've been tossing around.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

_JNavs_ wrote:ALSO, the vibes felt similar to Joker, with that raw filter set to max, the crimes feeling more real than we've seen since the TDK films. I'm telling you guys it's definitely a possibility the two crossover. WB would be insane to pass up a chance like this. The timelines match up as well, if we consider The Batman takes place in the 90s.

(Oh and it's interesting they're using the SAME font as The Joker film, for... The Batman.)

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
For reference

Maybe, that's why the murder of Bruce's parents wasn't shown in the trailer. Because we already saw it on Joker.