Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Spoiler:
Gunn's schedule is certainly loaded.

What are you guys most excited for?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:41 pm NWH was very fun and satisfying, but are folks serious when they say it should get a best picture nom?! It's your classic fanservice-intensive anniversary special thingy. The seams are very visible for even casual viewers. The thing that makes it work in the end is some very endearing performances by several of the actors (returning guests and current regulars) and I have to compliment Holland, who I think finally gets to display a lot of the nuances that really make Spider-Man Spider-Man.
I think the way that it advocates for rehabilitative justice (as opposed to retributive) definitely makes it stand out among superhero movies or typical fanservice projects.

Do I think it should get a best picture nomination? I don't really care one way or the other. I mean, it's got more depth than most of the cheesy, pandering critic-bait that awards shows tend to favor; but the nomination/award is equally empty posturing regardless of who it goes to.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

eabaker wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 pm Do I think it should get a best picture nomination? I don't really care one way or the other. I mean, it's got more depth than most of the cheesy, pandering critic-bait that awards shows tend to favor; but the nomination/award is equally empty posturing regardless of who it goes to.

I actually think the kind of 'awards bait' films have become less and less of a thing recently. Still around, but they no longer dominate. Being the Ricardos is the most recent one to actually get some nominations, despite receiving a drubbing from critics and practically everyone online. I think the Academy's attempts to diversify their membership is leading to a wider array if movies being nominated instead of films calibrated for the crusty, old, onefootinthegrave membership of the academy.

Personally, on one level I don't care about awards at all - but on another I'm glad they exist because they encourage non-franchise, non-blockbuster films to be made and to be widely distributed. Would I have been able to see Titane, Licorice Pizza and Nightmare Alley in theaters this past year had the awards infrastructure not existed? Maybe not! Will I watch the ceremony on TV? Almost certainly not.

Of course, the wackiest thing recently has been folks labeling anything that's not a franchise blockbuster as some manner of awards bait. It's wild. Maybe a result of 'Stan culture' where now folks are constantly boosting their beloved thing (in this case, the most successful franchises of all time) the way that used to be reserved mostly for pop stars?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:55 pm Of course, the wackiest thing recently has been folks labeling anything that's not a franchise blockbuster as some manner of awards bait. It's wild. Maybe a result of 'Stan culture' where now folks are constantly boosting their beloved thing (in this case, the most successful franchises of all time) the way that used to be reserved mostly for pop stars?
That's an interesting observation. There is in recent years a uniquely widespread popular audience and sense of respect for a type of property that has, for decades, engendered a particularly strong kind of attachment/association from its more cult audiences, and with that shift has come a kind of "we've won"/"geeks inherit the earth" attitude. It can be jarring, then, to be confronted with spaces where these works are still seen as a lower grade of art, and for some people that can even read as a bit of a slap in the face.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ It makes a certain emotional sense, but it's kinda creepy that enormous companies are now making use of this extreme fan devotion as they make the most commercially successful things of all time. Its old, underground and unrespected nature was also endearing. It was more innocent, in a way (not that it was ever truly innocent - fans being jerks or even abusive is a tale as old as fandom).

To get the conversation back to NWH: it was fantastic to see Tobey, Dafoe and Molina back - but at the same time the Raimi nostalgia, the rediscovery of those movies and in-jokes and whatnot over the past several years felt like an organic, spontaneous bit of fun everyone was having. Now the biggest movie in the world is based around it. It feels... weird? NWH addresses the problems I had with the direction the MCU had taken Peter Parker, and to see the movie specifically cater to those complaints... also feels weird? It's like at the end of a comic book run where a creative team returns the characters and settings back to their iconic forms so that the next creative team can start building up their new run from the base version of the character. Its giving the fans exactly what they want. Maybe that's my biggest problem with NWH: I say I want exactly what I want, but really I don't. I don't think it's a good idea to give people exactly what they want.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

44445 :Batman: :Superman:
I wonder if Spiderman and Daredevil will ever fight alongside or something
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:17 pm NWH addresses the problems I had with the direction the MCU had taken Peter Parker, and to see the movie specifically cater to those complaints... also feels weird? It's like at the end of a comic book run where a creative team returns the characters and settings back to their iconic forms so that the next creative team can start building up their new run from the base version of the character. Its giving the fans exactly what they want. Maybe that's my biggest problem with NWH: I say I want exactly what I want, but really I don't. I don't think it's a good idea to give people exactly what they want.
I'm definitely not sufficiently attentive to fan opinions on these movies to have any idea what complaints people had with the direction the MCU had taken Peter Parker. I guess I'm lucky to be able to experience these movies at a remove from that aspect.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Love and Thunder trailer is said to drop this week
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:02 am Love and Thunder trailer is said to drop this week
Care to predict what Multiverse-related schenanigans could happen in that film's plot?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got back from No Way Home. Well, you mean bastards, he's Spider-Man now. Are you happy? :cry:

Stellar movie, though. Such an amazing experience, seeing all of that thrown into the mix together. Yet even with everything going on, it took its time and let itself breathe where it needed to. Very solid movie.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

HISHE never ceases to amaze me. :lol:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

As much as I do love No Way Home for being what it was and being so damn good at delivering on the promise of its premise. I do think that Endgame was the 'conclusion' of the narrative and that anything beyond that point, regardless of how good it is, is simply extra/epilogue/continuation. Sort of the case Lucas made about Star Wars after his original saga, I think he said 'this story is complete, and anything more would just be a sequel to this story, not really a continuation of this story'

DBZ felt like it was resolved on a narrative level after the Frieza arc, with everyone waiting for Goku's return. The minute you pull the trigger on 'Robo Frieza which transitions right into a huge time travel plot'...then you're just sorting of doing an extra tack-on. Just as one could easily argue that defeating Piccolo Jr and finally winning the Tournament at the end of Dragon Ball all in one decisive battle was the perfect conclusion for Dragon Ball without ever needing to move to Z.

Iron Man to Endgame was 22 films. If you remove the arguably most extraneous films, The Incredible Hulk and Homecoming...you have a 20 film sequence there.

If you play with the order a little bit, you can literally start with "Captain America: The FIRST Avenger" and conclude with "Avengers: ENDgame" as a pretty tightly knit 20 film saga that all feels of a whole. No mid or post-credits scenes...no obvious sequel bait. Between Tony's snap and Cap "clipping all the branches" everything feels wrapped up neatly.

But then again....No Way Home IS a masterpiece, to the point of making Holland's Trilogy, Garfield's Duology and Tobey's Trilogy all feel retroactively enhanced, improved, and further enshrined in the Marvel Legacy. So maybe it just HAS to be 28 films :D

But I would have to draw the line there....Multiverse of Madness isn't going to Grandfather in every Marvel film adaptation of the 21st century and get away with it because then you are just turning this all into a big pile of mush.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just finished the Moon Knight premiere a few minutes ago. And I liked it a lot!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Literally just finished it. It's pretty fun so far. Hopefully they'll play around with the mythology stuff more.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Not sure if its already been said but its confirmed Doctor Strange 2 will be 2 hours and 6 minutes (Not counting credits should be 1 hour and 56 minutes).

Honestly kinda surprised No Way Home is going to be a longer movie then this movie. You'd think a running time of at least 3 hours or under given like No Way Home is dealing with the multiverse and different versions of the characters (Presumably Tom Cruise Tony Stark, Dark Doctor Strange), America Chavez, and characters from other Marvel film properties (Patrick Stewart Xavier).

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'm going to try to see Morbius while it's still in the theaters. I've read my copy of The Morbius the Living Vampire Omnibus, so it'll be interesting to see hom the film compares to it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Trailer for Thor: Love and Thunder.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Very exciting-looking stuff, can’t wait to see the full movie. Love how far they’re leaning into the grandiose, cosmic story with this one.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Be kinda neat if they've been fucking with us. Gorr is more along the lines of an antihero and Zeus and some of the other Olympians are the real baddies.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Thor 4 looks great!
For Emperor and Empire!