Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:23 pm Be kinda neat if they've been skreeonking with us. Gorr is more along the lines of an antihero and Zeus and some of the other Olympians are the real baddies.
I would love for that.

Especially given in the actual myths given how much of evil pricks they were, Zeus notably was very villainous and probably one of the most evil along with Ares. Hades ironically being the most passive (Damn Disney film apparently had to demonize him because Underworld = Hell, Evil, Devil, etc.).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:23 pm Be kinda neat if they've been skreeonking with us. Gorr is more along the lines of an antihero and Zeus and some of the other Olympians are the real baddies.
I would love for that.

Especially given in the actual myths given how much of evil pricks they were, Zeus notably was very villainous and probably one of the most evil along with Ares. Hades ironically being the most passive (Damn Disney film apparently had to demonize him because Underworld = Hell, Evil, Devil, etc.).
Sometimes MCU likes to swerve casting too. I can't think of a time Russel Crowe played a villain. I just can't see why they'd bring Olympians in now when the Asgardians are virtually the same thing. Perhaps Gorr is after the Olympians as revenge for, as you said, the Greek Gods are some of the dickish ever, and Zeus tricks Thor and crew into helping him by taking up a sorta "adoptive" father role and taking advantage of Thor's lack of a family.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm Hades ironically being the most passive (Damn Disney film apparently had to demonize him because Underworld = Hell, Evil, Devil, etc.).
TBF, this has been an issue with basically every interpretation of Hades, due to the whole "Underworld can't be good" mindset of post Greek worlds, not just Disney.

But agreed, would love a twist with Gorr on him not being wrong in his deity slaying mission

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's called Thor, Love and Thunder.

While of course Thor is the god of lightning, all of these titles are up to interpretation. It'd be funny if Zeus is the main antagonist as well, and that's what the Thunder is an allusion too.

Also, I just realized; Thor is the only one of the original ensemble to get four movies. Granted, things get blurred when you view Captain America Civil war as Iron man 4, or any of the avengers movies as another, but my point still stands.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I would be quicker to argue Civil War as being the "Actual 3rd Avengers movie" more-so than I would argue it as an Iron Man 4.

The point still stands. Thor now has 4 self-titled films. It is cool to see...on a long enough timeline...which of the original major characters proves to have the longest and largest impact.

The sad reality is that this film will probably be used to somehow get rid of, disrespect, or otherwise severely damage Thor as a character and a centerpiece of the series. They will almost certainly undercut him. They are likely just using him as a spring-board to really push and show off Queen Valkyrie and Female Thor. So I can't say I'm remotely interested in actually seeing this film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Not MCU related but still Marvel never the less.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 4148255744

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Part 1 has been delayed to next Summer.

However we do have a release date for Part Two.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 6261338112
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Recently completed my great big marathon of all of the films, from Raimi's Spider-Man all the way up to No Way Home.

I have thoughts
-Raimi's first 2 Spider-Man films are near perfection, the 3rd has a lot of issues....but I feel a lot of the bumps and bruises could be ironed out in the editing room. I feel like Raimi was forced to put too much into too short of a period of time. If he were given another 15-20 minutes to just let the film breathe a little bit, it wouldn't feel quite so rushed or crowded. I think there is some material that could stand to be removed, as well. It is flawed with flashes of brilliance and is maybe one or two passes away from being MUCH closer to the first two in quality.

-Captain America: The First Avenger is a classic, wholesome "origin point" for the saga and the world
-Iron Man is equally fantastic as the modern mirror to the type of origin journey Cap goes on
-The Incredible Hulk is really not worth watching in any marathon. Norton re-cast, Hulk redesigned, no plot threads or character dynamics carried into other films, a Stark cameo at the end that doesn't really work with the flow of the series. It is completely skippable.
-Iron Man 2 is a weaker but still solid sequel. Re-casting Rhodes will never not be jarring, but every second of screen time of Johansson as Black Widow is worth watching.
-Thor is pretty standard, but gets the job done and has many more good than bad moments
-The Avengers is still great. Joss Whedon is a slime-ball, but the movie really works and clicks with a great flow and overall execution

-Phase 1 overall is an exceptional foundation and it is easy to see how they were willing to commit to this general formula and structure moving forward.

-The Amazing Spider-Man films - I want to like them, and they are full of talented people. Garfield has immense talent and Emma Stone is aces...but these movies don't work. They have this awkward and clumsy energy to them and they just end up feeling really sort of odd and off-kilter, without proper identity. God bless those who love these films, and they have their moments, but every time I try to watch them they are an absolute drag to get through.

-Iron Man 3 is a pretty weak sequel. The Mandarin twist is interesting, but ultimately feels hollow.
-Thor: The Dark World is also not very good. The redeeming quality is that it is one of the shorter entries in the MCU and moves along at a pretty strong pace.
-Guardians of the Galaxy is still great. The soundtrack, the world, and character just have a harmony that makes it relentlessly entertaining.
-Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the strongest entries in the franchise. I wish this level of tone had been struck more times. Even the other Russo Bros films don't ever go this hard again. This is one time where the MCU felt like they were making 'films' and not just movies.
-Age of Ultron is a weak sequel - People say it aged well because of future films. It did not. The introduction of Vision, in hindsight, feels like a massive waste. He has an introduction that implies he will be a game-changing character, and ultimately has a fairly inconsequential 3 film arc where he is completely nerfed and sidelined for the duration of one of the films, ultimately just serving as motivation for another character.
-Ant-Man is a fun and entertaining comedy held together by Paul Rudd's charm...but they really should have counted themselves lucky that it worked and only used Ant-Man in ensembles after that.
-Civil War is quite great - It is unfortunate that "Civil War" amounts to little more than "Civil Sparring Match" with no real cost outside of a character being paralyzed but not REALLY because he has cybernetic enhanced legs. The Avengers are broken up, but that break up gets brushed aside as soon as it is convenient. Also...Tony and Pepper being 'on a break' just screams "we don't have Paltrow on contract right now". The introduction of Black Panther and Spider-Mare both handled perfectly, and the casting of Boseman is perfect.

-Largely, the first 2 phases are getting it right and building to what should have been an easy home-run of a conclusion, but going to 3 films a year is when their resources and ability really started to be spread too thin and where the quality starts to suffer. 3 scripts getting moved through to completion receive less scrutiny and fine-tuning than 2 scripts. 2 films in production are given more set visits, more meetings, and more attention on average than 3.

-Doctor Strange is a solid start, introducing an important final major character and plot element into the series.
-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is weaker than the first, and is the first time where it felt like humor wasn't just "there a lot" but was actively getting in the way of potentially dramatic and meaningful moments. The ending still packs an emotional punch though, even if it sort of cheats by using an emotional insert song on the soundtrack.
-Spider-Man: Homecoming - Ugh, the first time major timeline contradictions rear their ugly heads...and you have to think someone somewhere just wasn't reviewing things right to correct this error. Homecoming is not 8 years after The Avengers, it is 5-6 years. Generally though, this works well enough as a Spidey-MCU film. Although it is completely unnecessary in terms of getting Spider-Man's "narrative" from Civil War to Infinity War and Endgame...it only serves the Spider-Man trilogy, not the journey to Infinity War.
- Black Panther - Great performance from Boseman and Jordan, but little else. A good dose of the world-building of Wakanda just doesn't make a lot of sense and the CGI just does not work well. They were bad when they came out and they've aged terribly. Again, fewer time/resources per film when you are juggling 3 films and their coordinated release dates.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp - Pretty much a pointless sequel that doesn't exist outside of just filling a spot on the schedule on the way to Endgame. The Quantum realm and set up for Wasp were both thoroughly established within the first film. Rudd and Lilly are fantastic, but the film just does not bring much to the table in terms of the narrative.

- Captain Marvel - This is absolutely one of Marvel's worst. Not because it is overly terrible, it is just so outright pedestrian in so many regards. Main characters with amnesia and identity crisis are hard to really get invested in and ingratiated towards. When they keep having to be told how great they were/are by other characters because they don't know it or show it about themselves...that's weak writing. I can understand that they didn't want a typical origin story again, but hiding it within an amnesia plot line really wasn't the right way to introduce the character.

This is also yet another film that does little to build the Infinity Saga narrative outside of just 'introducing Danvers'....the 90s setting actually creates more continuity issues than it is worth when it comes to SHIELD and those connected characters.

The whole thing feels weirdly designed to try and designate Captain Marvel as the secret centerpiece of the MCU.
Her name is Captain Marvel which matches the company(A character named Captain DC or Major DC would be equally ridiculous) and they very much try to sell her as the strongest/most overpowered Avenger while also having her call-sign be "Avenger" and the source of "The Avenger Initiative" name. They retroactively replace Iron Man with her as the first semi-modern superhero to show up on Earth, and retroactively turn the story behind Fury losing his eye into a cheap gag. It all feels very forced and inconsistent with what we've seen for nearly 20 films. All of that alone, regardless of quality, makes this one of the most frustrating entries in the series because it is so out of place. The First Avenger works as a prologue to the series, this feels like a weird attempt at a prequel that is sloppily handled and doesn't do the due diligence to actually BE an organic prequel to what has com before.

-Thor: Ragnarok - Again, too much comedy with CGI that is too weak for modern standards. Hulk being in the film is good and as a character is handled well but he doesn't have enough of a game-changing impact on any of the major battles or fights in the film. He is used more for his humor than his power.

-Infinity War and Endgame - Worthy and Satisfying conclusions to the saga, despite the fact that time travel is a relatively cheap narrative gimmick...it serves its purpose. The tough thing is that unfortunately, Captain Marvel has no place in this narrative. She feels completely shoe-horned in at the last second...the one character she has history with, Nick Fury, is dusted. He could have properly introduced her and sort of initiate her into the group more organically.

For how small her role is, her scenes could have been moments for others to shine. Rocket could have found Stark. Thor/Hulk could have destroyed Thanos' ship. Pepper, being the original female lead of the series, SHOULD have led the charge of the female Avengers, and again, Hulk/Thor could have been the last man standing stopping Thanos from completing his snap.

The conclusion to the Infinity Saga was so close to being perfect. If they had stuck to 2 films a year(Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel should have been Post-Endgame films) just through the release of Endgame...I think the films that would have been made would have been that much better for it and the overall saga would have been that much more cohesive.

-Far From Home and No Way Home - Far From Home is pretty much forgettable, while No Way Home uses 20 years of Spider-Man history to deliver a big and meaningful, cross-generational Spider-Man conclusion.

-Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals - Unfortunately these are all huge creative misfires. As much as I love Black Widow, her film should absolutely have been made and released before Infinity War and Endgame.

Conclusion - These films are entertaining, and absolutely represent a moment of domination in pop culture...but sadly, the whole is greater than the individual parts...which are often just standard issue 'good', only sometimes exceptional, and more than a few times downright terrible. Upping the rate of production as they neared a conclusion was the wrong move, as it over-crowded the narrative with what essentially amount to "Filler Films" just as you are entering into what is essentially the "Third Act" of the story.

These are good movies, a fun collection of good movies, but that ultimately are not the best when it comes to blockbusters. They don't hold the weight, significance or staying power of something like The Lord of the Rings, the original Star Wars Trilogy, Titanic, Avatar, The Dark Knight Trilogy or Snyder's DC films. The best blockbusters walk that fine line between art and entertainment. These films fall hard into the realm of pure entertainment.

They will continue on and on, and are branching out endlessly into the realm of TV...and it will go on until it is one giant mountain of "content" that very few, if any, people will ever go back an appreciate from beginning to end as a great work of cinematic storytelling. Just like the countless issues of comic books they are based on, these will sadly end up being remembered as mostly disposable entertainment with too much content to keep track of.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 8638615553

Release dates have switched for The Marvels and Ant-Man 3.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My big problem with Black Panther is just how restrained everything is. It's got the elements to make a compelling story but it's like they were too afraid of pissing too many people off. That and I don't feel Killmonger was quite sympathetic enough. His backstory feels more like an excuse for him to be evil than a legitimate motivation for his actions.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:25 am https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 8638615553

Doesn't really bode well, creatively, for The Marvels....which is going to be a branding/search algorithm nightmare as it is. Marvel Studios Captain Marvel 2. Marvel's The Marvels. Captain Marvel 2 Marvels. The Marvels....which is the first time an MCU property has pretty much gotten a total rebrand after the first entry. The random internet searches for that movie are going to yield a jumbled mess of Marvel related stuff. I know it SEEMS like a good branding idea to name a character after the company, to sort of hand-pick a "centerpiece" but that sort of stuff can't be manufactured. Spider-Man is Marvel's #1 and there is nothing they can do about that, and Disney/Marvel will probably never get the exclusive film rights back to him again.

I think this is the 2nd time that film has been delayed.

In OTHER news, Jon Watts is off Marvel's Fantastic Four movie. Very likely because Disney wanted to mandate a few more things regarding the creative direction in ways that Sony likely didn't. I wonder if Peyton Reed will step in to save it like he did for Ant-Man, apparently he lobbied pretty hard in the past to try to direct a Fantastic Four film.

Post-Endgame MCU is going off the rails.

Also...Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a mere 2 hours. Sounds like it was diced to ribbons and re-worked. There is no way that wasn't initially structured as a huge 140-150 minute blockbuster. No way was that always intended to be some lean and mean, tightly running movie. 126 minutes with all of the ending titles and credits and what is likely going to be a mid and post-credits scene. Gotta go back to Captain Marvel for a shorter Marvel movie.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:35 am Very likely because Disney wanted to mandate a few more things regarding the creative direction in ways that Sony likely didn't.
He just wants a break. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:35 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:25 am https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 8638615553

Doesn't really bode well, creatively, for The Marvels....which is going to be a branding/search algorithm nightmare as it is. Marvel Studios Captain Marvel 2. Marvel's The Marvels. Captain Marvel 2 Marvels. The Marvels....which is the first time an MCU property has pretty much gotten a total rebrand after the first entry. The random internet searches for that movie are going to yield a jumbled mess of Marvel related stuff. I know it SEEMS like a good branding idea to name a character after the company, to sort of hand-pick a "centerpiece" but that sort of stuff can't be manufactured. Spider-Man is Marvel's #1 and there is nothing they can do about that, and Disney/Marvel will probably never get the exclusive film rights back to him again.

In OTHER news, Jon Watts is off Marvel's Fantastic Four movie. Very likely because Disney wanted to mandate a few more things regarding the creative direction in ways that Sony likely didn't. I wonder if Peyton Reed will step in to save it like he did for Ant-Man, apparently he lobbied pretty hard in the past to try to direct a Fantastic Four film.

Also...Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a mere 2 hours. Sounds like it was diced to ribbons and re-worked. There is no way that wasn't initially structured as a huge 140-150 minute blockbuster. No way was that always intended to be some lean and mean, tightly running movie. 126 minutes with all of the ending titles and credits and what is likely going to be a mid and post-credits scene. Gotta go back to Captain Marvel for a shorter Marvel movie.
Tell me you're a Snyder/DCEU fan without telling me you're a Snyder/DCEU fan. Lul.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

It especially says a lot when a Spider-Man movie is longer then a Doctor Strange movie, the latter focusing on the multiverse. You'd honestly think the opposite.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:46 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:35 am

Tell me you're a Snyder/DCEU fan without telling me you're a Snyder/DCEU fan. Lul.
LUL man I know right!

I'll fully admit I'm a convert. I saw Endgame 8 times in theaters, bud. Things have just shifted in recent years...to see the MCU go so sour, and Snyder's JL was a revelation. One was the more rewarding experience for almost a decade, now it is the opposite.

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:15 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:35 am Very likely because Disney wanted to mandate a few more things regarding the creative direction in ways that Sony likely didn't.
He just wants a break. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Not everything is a conspiracy theory, but everyone knows that 99/100 the 'official reason' given in situations like this are hardly ever true.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

From Twitter
"Don't worry, Sam Raimi fans. DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS fully goes horror—jump scares, body horror, and a smattering of diabolical kills. It fits in the MCU but has Raimi's deranged creepy campy groovy DNA all over it."

Added in 14 minutes 49 seconds:
Spoilers are going to start exploding. Be careful.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Ten years since The Avengers (2012).

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:41 am From Twitter
"Don't worry, Sam Raimi fans. DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS fully goes horror—jump scares, body horror, and a smattering of diabolical kills. It fits in the MCU but has Raimi's deranged creepy campy groovy DNA all over it."

Added in 14 minutes 49 seconds:
Spoilers are going to start exploding. Be careful.
Spoilers are already here. Every other YouTube recommendation I get now is a spoiled scene and right in the thumbnail.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

We're just one year away until Guardians 3. Yeah! :D

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Speaking as a theater manager, this will be big, but not "No Way Home" big, not by a long shot.

No Way Home topped out right about $1.9 Billion worldwide...this will probably do $1 Billion max.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Have not seen Multiverse of Madness yet... However...

Spoiler:
I will not be seeing it in theaters. The fact they introduced X-Men (Xavier) and Fantastic Four (Reed) only to kill them off in a matter of minutes just made me nope the fuck out. I'll wait for it on Disney+.

Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun May 08, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year: