Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Voyager »

Spoiler:
JOHN KRASINSKI REED RICHARDS YEAHHHH GIMME THAT FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE BABYYYY
Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:30 pm Have not seen Multiverse of Madness yet... However...

Spoiler:
I will not be seeing it in theaters. The fact they introduced X-Men (Xavier) and Fantastic Four (Reed) only to kill them off in a matter of minutes just made me nope the fuck out. I'll wait for it on Disney+.

Spoiler:
Keep in mind that it is just one version of them, there are multiple alternate versions, and there must be a main universe version out there somewhere (for the F4 anyways)
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
Speaking of Reed Richards, I wonder why they didn't save Krasinski for the F4 movie and use one of the past Reed actors for this.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:55 pm
Spoiler:
JOHN KRASINSKI REED RICHARDS YEAHHHH GIMME THAT FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE BABYYYY
Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:30 pm Have not seen Multiverse of Madness yet... However...

Spoiler:
I will not be seeing it in theaters. The fact they introduced X-Men (Xavier) and Fantastic Four (Reed) only to kill them off in a matter of minutes just made me nope the skreeonk out. I'll wait for it on Disney+.

Spoiler:
Keep in mind that it is just one version of them, there are multiple alternate versions, and there must be a main universe version out there somewhere (for the F4 anyways)
Spoiler:
Moot point about it being alternate versions. This was the introduction of Fantastic Four and X-Men to the MCU as a whole and this is what they did. They wanna kill off Black Bolt or Captain Carter, since they were both already established in one way or another and, let's face it, simply aren't names like Reed and Xavier are. I'm not even pissed they killed them off like they did.

I'm pissed they killed them off in a MATTER OF MINUTES AFTER APPEARING. There was no fucking point. I'd have rather just had the dumbass Tom Cruise Iron Man over what they did to Mr. Fantastic and Professor X.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I can't help but feel that Marvel still holds contempt for both X-men and FF.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:21 am Ten years since The Avengers (2012).
Damn, I'm old.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So let me get this straight?
Spoiler:
Despite the title, it's more of a Scarlet Witch movie, said movie reducing its title character to literally a sidekick. If this was the case why not call it Scarlet Witch in the Multiverse of Madness?
Most of the movie has Strange running away or getting his ass kicked needing America Chezez's help.
Tries to make Wanda sympathetic and all she did in Wandavision was forgiven with Strange saying "You did the right thing" despite all the murders and mentally brainwashing that town she committed that likely left the town traumatized?
Her reason for the way she is in this movie is to get her kids back which clearly never existed to begin with. If she's so desperate to be a mother, why not go to a universe where she died to get kids she had, get laid which shouldn't be hard given how attractive and sexy she is or get some eggs injected into her to get pregnant (Can't remember what that's called) or given how OP of a reality warper she is just creating them materialized out of thin air.
Most of the movie has Doctor Strange getting his ass kicked or trying to run away notably needing America Cherez's help.
America Cherez's loses her parents because she gets scared be a bee? A BEE!?
Despite being called In the Multiverse of Madness, at most they travel to 2 universes. What a waste...
What is this bull****!? Damn MCU you really dropped the ball here with your writing.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 13, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

MCU has been on the decline for years. It seems like with almost each film since Endgame, there is a small sub-section of the fandom that goes "Well, okay, they really dropped the ball with this one" or some equivalent of "Well I guess it is time for me to dip out now"

Every film since Endgame except for No Way Home has been a misfire, and all of the D+ shows have been misfires.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I mean, Loki did destroy the MCU itself.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 pm MCU has been on the decline for years. It seems like with almost each film since Endgame, there is a small sub-section of the fandom that goes "Well, okay, they really dropped the ball with this one" or some equivalent of "Well I guess it is time for me to dip out now"

Every film since Endgame except for No Way Home has been a misfire, and all of the D+ shows have been misfires.
The fact this movie made nearly $500 million opening weekend would say otherwise...

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I really, really enjoyed Dr. Strange 2. My favorite since Civil War. (Black Widow comes second).
Would I like Eternals since I love sci fi? I read some people saying the film has a theme similar to Prometheus? (One of my favorite films). I hesitate to watch it however, given that I hear the movie is filled with just talking?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Anguirus wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 pm I really, really enjoyed Dr. Strange 2. My favorite since Civil War. (Black Widow comes second).
Would I like Eternals since I love sci fi? I read some people saying the film has a theme similar to Prometheus? (One of my favorite films). I hesitate to watch it however, given that I hear the movie is filled with just talking?
Eternals is pretty different from the usual MCU flick, I will say. Wasn't as boring as people tend to make it out to be, though, It's my second favorite Phase 4 film besides No Way Home.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:49 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 pm MCU has been on the decline for years. It seems like with almost each film since Endgame, there is a small sub-section of the fandom that goes "Well, okay, they really dropped the ball with this one" or some equivalent of "Well I guess it is time for me to dip out now"

The fact this movie made nearly $500 million opening weekend would say otherwise...
Well, a big Box Office opening doesn't ensure quality. In a lot of ways, Box Office measures little more than superficial popularity and good timing.

Take a look at the 67-68% 2nd weekend drop of Doctor Strange. There have been films, MCU films even, that opened larger and dropped less in their 2nd weekend....so what does THAT say about the response?

You could argue it had a hyped up, front-loaded opening and dropped quite sharply after, and didn't have great box office legs because the film itself was not exactly all it was cracked up to be.

Spider-Man 3 broke all of the opening records when it came out in 2007, the next summer The Dark Knight did the same thing. Both crushed a number of opening records...one of them had much stronger Box Office legs than the other, and that one also happens to be remembered by most as a classic.

A nice big flashy opening doesn't really mean all that much. You can take a box office hit, and a box office flop...and 5 years down the road the hit is barely remembered while the flop is hailed as a classic.

Outside of a generation of folks saying "Man I grew up seeing all of those in theaters, they were wild" is there really a lasting legacy being crafted by the MCU? 10 years later are people going to look back on most of these films as stand out genre classics? Or is the MCU going to continue to be characterized as a bulbous mass of content that is equal parts "some of them are really good" and "a lot of it is really nothing all that special"

You look at the entirety of the Godzilla franchise, like a mural there is a big tapestry that is impressive in its own existence...but outside of a select few, a lot of the films are fairly standard issue. I don't think anyone is arguing that the 36 film Godzilla franchise has 30 masterpieces. While Godzilla is still under 40 films after nearly 70 years...the MCU is racing beyond 30 films after less than 15 years. Amplified more by the fact that Godzilla has had a few reboots than stand apart from other films, while all of the MCU films are pretty intricately connected and share a continuity. Not including all of the interconnected TV shows on top of that.

The minute the MCU plays out and winds down(We are seeing it as we speak in real-time) and we are one step removed from it culturally....very few people are going to be going back and re-experiencing it in its entirety. The way people re-binge their favorite TV shows and franchises...the MCU is going to have far less staying power due to the simple fact that it is quickly becoming the largest and most unwieldy film continuity of all time.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sun May 15, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ As a fan of the MCU, I read through that smirking and going, "yeah, believe whatever makes you feel better, Snyder fan."

...but...

I still haven't seen nor care to see Eternals, frequently forget that Loki existed, dropped What If...? after the first episode, haven't finished Hawkeye, and don't give a crap about Moon Knight. So you're not wrong. The bloat is real, and it's becoming a problem.

I don't agree with your overall "as streamlined and concise as possible" philosophy toward media, though. Big, sprawling franchises like this have a major advantage in that there's always something to watch. I want an MCU fix, I have a huge array of options to choose from, even if not all are masterpieces. If I want, say, a Jurassic Park fix, my choices are real limited, and I end up watching that smaller library of films more often than I might otherwise like to just because it's all there is.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

The MCU has become an oversaturated brand at this point.

Too many shows to keep up with, too many movies, and the major conflict of the Infinity Saga is resolved, so I have absolutely no interest in any of it.

I watched WandaVision, which was disappointing, and No Way Home, which was a fun nostalgia trip, but I only saw the later because my sister is a big Spider-Man nut and it was fun to watch it with her.

The rest? I forgot most of the stuff even came out. Eternals, Shang-Chi, Loki, Moon Knight, Hawkeye....I often forget those things exist.

I just don't care anymore.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I'll say it again.

The MCU is the fast-food of cinema. Should be renamed McMarvel.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am I'll say it again.

The MCU is the fast-food of cinema. Should be renamed McMarvel.
I'll bite: what's the problem with that? Not every film is going to be some major deep art piece. They're movies. There's going to be mindless entertainment. I'd go so far to say it's *GOOD* that they're the fast-food of cinema. Why? Because I know that, to varying degrees of quality, it'll be an easy to swallow entertaining flick to watch for two hours. I'm not watching an MCU film to be emotionally, spiritually, or mentally challenged. I'm watching it because I want two hours of heroic escapism.

It's fine if that's not what you want out of movies, but frankly I don't see why what you're saying is a negative.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu May 19, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:13 amI'll bite: what's the problem with that? Not every film is going to be some major deep art piece. They're movies. There's going to be mindless entertainment. I'd go so far to say it's *GOOD* that they're the fast-food of cinema. Why? Because I know that, to varying degrees of quality, it'll be an easy to swallow entertaining flick to watch for two hours. I'm not watching an MCU film to be emotionally, spiritually, of mentally challenged. I'm watching it because I want two hours of heroic escapism.

It's fine if that's not what you want out of movies, but frankly I don't see why what you're saying is a negative.
I mean would you rather want the films to be different from each other? Creative differences? The movies have seen felt the same, vibe-wise and formulaic that at this point it may very well just be a TV show with two-hour long episodes.

Makes me feel Disney and Marvel saw that the first Guardians was a success and so they thought its humor would work for all their movies. We have Doctor Strange of all people saying stuff like Scooby-Doo this **** or Aunt May asking Doctor Octopus if he wants freshwater or saltwater because he's an "octopus".

It comes off more as cringe than funny.

This humor works with the Guardians films due to its campy tone and nature but it doesn't work with the other MCU films, for the other films, the humor that worked was pre-Avengers when it was more balanced and not as forced.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:19 am
Maritonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:13 amI'll bite: what's the problem with that? Not every film is going to be some major deep art piece. They're movies. There's going to be mindless entertainment. I'd go so far to say it's *GOOD* that they're the fast-food of cinema. Why? Because I know that, to varying degrees of quality, it'll be an easy to swallow entertaining flick to watch for two hours. I'm not watching an MCU film to be emotionally, spiritually, of mentally challenged. I'm watching it because I want two hours of heroic escapism.

I mean would you rather want the films to be different from each other? Creative differences? The movies have seen felt the same, vibe-wise and formulaic that at this point it may very well just be a TV show with two-hour long episodes.

Makes me feel Disney and Marvel saw that the first Guardians was a success and so they thought its humor would work for all their movies. We have Doctor Strange of all people saying stuff like Scooby-Doo this **** or Aunt May asking Doctor Octopus if he wants freshwater or saltwater because he's an "octopus".

It comes off more as cringe than funny.
Put in Winter Soldier, Guardians 2, and No Way Home and tell me they're the same movie.

And, again, frankly, so what? Like. Honestly. So what? Again, you know what you're getting going in. I'll admit there is definitely an increase of humor post-Guardians, but these are based on comic books where humor is aplenty.

There is enough room in the movie market for mindless entertainment.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

The other problem I have is other movie franchises trying to copy its success. Notably the MonsterVerse since King of the Monsters.

I easily saw this in Godzilla vs. Kong when the whole joke about "consuming bleach" and making hand sanitizers from gardens. It's like they're desperately trying to copy its success but failing.

Movie franchises need to be their own thing. Kong: Skull Island had humor notably but it was done in its own and different way. If the MonsterVerse tried being more like that, I'd be fine with it. Same with Shazam and The Suicide Squad which despite aimed being comedies had totally different vibes and atmospheres as well as humor in their own ways.

Not to get too off-topic, just expressing my problem with the MCU nowadays.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:25 am The other problem I have is other movie franchises trying to copy its success. Notably the MonsterVerse since King of the Monsters.

I easily saw this in Godzilla vs. Kong when the whole joke about "consuming bleach" and making hand sanitizers from gardens. It's like they're desperately trying to copy its success but failing.

Movie franchises need to be their own thing. Kong: Skull Island had humor notably but it was done in its own and different way. If the MonsterVerse tried being more like that, I'd be fine with it. Same with Shazam and The Suicide Squad which despite aimed being comedies had totally different vibes and atmospheres as well as humor in their own ways.

Not to get too off-topic, just expressing my problem with the MCU nowadays.
So it's Marvel's fault people are "copying them"...?