General Transformers Discussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: General Transformers Discussion

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote:Ew, no. Last time they did that in the comics it was dogshit.
Say what?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Creed 2 director is in talks to helm the Bumblebee followup (per Deadline).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 pm
UltramanGoji wrote:Ew, no. Last time they did that in the comics it was dogshit.
Say what?
Damn lack of Inhumanoids. :mad:

Anywho, a full on trailer for Netflix's next season, chapter, for Netflix's TRANSFORMERS:War For Cybertron-. Subtitled,EARTHRISE.
Last edited by The One and Only on Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 pm
Say what?
IDW did a Hasbro properties crossover and it was garbage. It was forced as shit (even though it was IDW's decision and not Hasbro's) and it severely impacted the flow and stories of its fantastic Transformers ongoings.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 pmIDW did a Hasbro properties crossover and it was garbage. It was forced as poop (even though it was IDW's decision and not Hasbro's) and it severely impacted the flow and stories of its fantastic Transformers ongoings.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Misconceptions_ ... Publishing

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 pmIDW did a Hasbro properties crossover and it was garbage. It was forced as poop (even though it was IDW's decision and not Hasbro's) and it severely impacted the flow and stories of its fantastic Transformers ongoings.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Misconceptions_ ... Publishing
That didn't negate anything I said.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:19 pmThat didn't negate anything I said.
Matter of opinion.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't even know how u could mess up a GI Joe/TF crossover, their stories don't exactly overlap or discount one another.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:19 pmThat didn't negate anything I said.
Matter of opinion.
...No?

Your post was pointless as nothing I said had anything to do with those misconceptions. I said it was an IDW decision and that (blatantly in my opinion) it ruined the pre-existing TF storyline by grinding it to a halt. What part of that is a misconception or where in my post did I say my thoughts weren't a matter of opinion?
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 pm I don't even know how u could mess up a GI Joe/TF crossover, their stories don't exactly overlap or discount one another.
By forcing one franchise's characters and plot points into another, already existing and ongoing one's and mixing said other franchise's characters around for no discernible reason.

Also GI Joe is just a shitty franchise to begin with, so not much going for it with a TF crossover as is.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 pm I don't even know how u could mess up a GI Joe/TF crossover, their stories don't exactly overlap or discount one another.
By forcing one franchise's characters and plot points into another, already existing and ongoing one's and mixing said other franchise's characters around for no discernible reason.
Absolutely, but I think if those universes were to align from the start, then root off into their own huge events, there's no lore, as far as I'm aware of, that would immediately break or change the universes themselves. On paper it sounds like they'd fit perfectly.

Black Ops military groups, terrorist organizations with alien tech hanging out with transforming aliens who tend to stay off world most of the time.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pmYour post was pointless as nothing I said had anything to do with those misconceptions. I said it was an IDW decision and that (blatantly in my opinion) it ruined the pre-existing TF storyline by grinding it to a halt. What part of that is a misconception or where in my post did I say my thoughts weren't a matter of opinion?
The reason that those titles were relaunched in the first place is that their sales were on an unsustainable downwards spiral; and, other than a brief sales spike for the first issues of the relaunched series, the relaunch did pretty much nothing to the sales trends, which continued to decrease at the same level as they had from around the 51st issues to the relaunch. While the Hasbro Universe titles generally didn't sell great, they didn't affect the sales of the ongoing Transformers series.
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pmBy forcing one franchise's characters and plot points into another, already existing and ongoing one's and mixing said other franchise's characters around for no discernible reason.
That sounds like a shallow way of putting it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:28 pmAlso GI Joe is just a shitty franchise to begin with, so not much going for it with a TF crossover as is.
You know if it weren't for Joe, there may never be a Transformers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnXeUb9YmA
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246706 ... e-universe

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm The reason that those titles were relaunched in the first place is that their sales were on an unsustainable downwards spiral; and, other than a brief sales spike for the first issues of the relaunched series, the relaunch did pretty much nothing to the sales trends, which continued to decrease at the same level as they had from around the 51st issues to the relaunch. While the Hasbro Universe titles generally didn't sell great, they didn't affect the sales of the ongoing Transformers series.
This has absolutely nothing to do with my initial post which was talking about the narrative effects, not the financial ones.
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm That sounds like a shallow way of putting it.
It was a shallow portion of the original IDW timeline, so fitting then.
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm You know if it weren't for Joe, there may never be a Transformers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnXeUb9YmA
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246706 ... e-universe
Yeah, I know that. Joe's still a boring, outdated franchise whose revival attempts keep failing (and will fail with the Snake Eyes movie) because it can't stand on its own in a world where military-focused franchises are dime-a-dozen and each has their own unique elements that continue to make Joe look more and more passe as time goes on. The franchise should just be laid to rest already, it's never gonna reach Transformers levels of success again.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:54 pmThis has absolutely nothing to do with my initial post which was talking about the narrative effects, not the financial ones.
Dude, chill. I'm just trying to be optimistic and open-minded.

It was a shallow portion of the original IDW timeline, so fitting then.[/quote]
What?
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pmYeah, I know that. Joe's still a boring, outdated franchise whose revival attempts keep failing (and will fail with the Snake Eyes movie) because it can't stand on its own in a world where military-focused franchises are dime-a-dozen and each has their own unique elements that continue to make Joe look more and more passe as time goes on. The franchise should just be laid to rest already, it's never gonna reach Transformers levels of success again.
Didn't the Bayformers films fail critically as well?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm Dude, chill. I'm just trying to be optimistic and open-minded.
It's hard to be chill when someone is arguing against a point I'm not even making.
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm What?
The Revolution/Hasbro Universe era of the initial IDW Transformers continuity was shallow. Shallow stuff gets shallow criticism.

But yeah okay fair, if you want actual critique of why I hate the Revolution era of the IDW Continuity, I'm game.

- It was a choice made by the authors, not the audience.
The idea was something the IDW staff honestly believed the majority of Transformers readers were okay with. It wasn't something they consulted the reader base about before doing, suddenly we were thrust into it because Chris Ryall and company wanted people to remember shit like Visionaries for the better part of three years. Honestly, the situation would be monumentally better if it was a Hasbro mandate because at least then I could understand being forced to pull something like this but actively wanting to do it? That's a negative from me.

- It spread the required reading nearly ten-fold.
Before the Hasbro Universe, you only really needed to read about two, maybe three series: The regular ongoing, MTMTE/Lost Light, and Windblade/Till All Are One. After the integration, you now had like six other titles you needed to read to fully understand everything. And it's not like it's a few miniseries here and there, it was a ton of ongoing shit like Action Man, MASK, GI Joe, Revolutionaries, etc. All this extra reading now required, even if the Transformers-aspect was only a sliver in some of them.

- Established character's stories were severely affected by being forced into the crossovers.
Self-explanatory. The sudden need to work in elements of MASK, GI Joe, etc. meant severely altering planned story arcs and series. Characters like Kup were not given proper sendoffs, being relegated to cheap "shock factor" death fodder to prop up the new Hasbro nobodies, despite their legacy in the continuity's past. Mairghread Scott's follow-up to Till All Are One was cancelled, causing her to force all her plot points to come to a conclusion in one single annual.

- Literally nobody cares about 90% of these properties.
Like...Action Man? Seriously? Who remembers Visionaries? Why the hell would you bring in MASK, the series revolving around weaponized vehicles, into a universe where Transformers, the infinitely more interesting concept, are already a thing? Like, okay GI Joe as much as I hate it, at least makes sense because it's been done before but...Micronauts? Fuck outta here.

Really, it's the required reading part that gets me the most. I don't care about any of these franchises and now I'm being forced to read about them because they're polluting my Transformers stories. The only option I have to avoid any of that is to just read Lost Light which has its own set of problems too. The entire thing was an absolute farce and it soured me on any and all future Hasbro crossovers.

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm Didn't the Bayformers films fail critically as well?
Sure did, and I wouldn't be surprised if their militaristic, gung-ho USA tones are part of the reason. Joe was born out of that (outdated) mentality, another reason I don't think it should be revived.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:36 pm
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm Dude, chill. I'm just trying to be optimistic and open-minded.
It's hard to be chill when someone is arguing against a point I'm not even making.
SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm What?
The Revolution/Hasbro Universe era of the initial IDW Transformers continuity was shallow. Shallow stuff gets shallow criticism.

But yeah okay fair, if you want actual critique of why I hate the Revolution era of the IDW Continuity, I'm game.

- It was a choice made by the authors, not the audience.
The idea was something the IDW staff honestly believed the majority of Transformers readers were okay with. It wasn't something they consulted the reader base about before doing, suddenly we were thrust into it because Chris Ryall and company wanted people to remember poop like Visionaries for the better part of three years. Honestly, the situation would be monumentally better if it was a Hasbro mandate because at least then I could understand being forced to pull something like this but actively wanting to do it? That's a negative from me.

- It spread the required reading nearly ten-fold.
Before the Hasbro Universe, you only really needed to read about two, maybe three series: The regular ongoing, MTMTE/Lost Light, and Windblade/Till All Are One. After the integration, you now had like six other titles you needed to read to fully understand everything. And it's not like it's a few miniseries here and there, it was a ton of ongoing poop like Action Man, MASK, GI Joe, Revolutionaries, etc. All this extra reading now required, even if the Transformers-aspect was only a sliver in some of them.

- Established character's stories were severely affected by being forced into the crossovers.
Self-explanatory. The sudden need to work in elements of MASK, GI Joe, etc. meant severely altering planned story arcs and series. Characters like Kup were not given proper sendoffs, being relegated to cheap "shock factor" death fodder to prop up the new Hasbro nobodies, despite their legacy in the continuity's past. Mairghread Scott's follow-up to Till All Are One was cancelled, causing her to force all her plot points to come to a conclusion in one single annual.

- Literally nobody cares about 90% of these properties.
Like...Action Man? Seriously? Who remembers Visionaries? Why the hell would you bring in MASK, the series revolving around weaponized vehicles, into a universe where Transformers, the infinitely more interesting concept, are already a thing? Like, okay GI Joe as much as I hate it, at least makes sense because it's been done before but...Micronauts? skreeonk outta here.

Really, it's the required reading part that gets me the most. I don't care about any of these franchises and now I'm being forced to read about them because they're polluting my Transformers stories. The only option I have to avoid any of that is to just read Lost Light which has its own set of problems too. The entire thing was an absolute farce and it soured me on any and all future Hasbro crossovers.

SonOfGorgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm Didn't the Bayformers films fail critically as well?
Sure did, and I wouldn't be surprised if their militaristic, gung-ho USA tones are part of the reason. Joe was born out of that (outdated) mentality, another reason I don't think it should be revived.
So just because you don't care does that mean everyone else shouldn't either?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If you can't handle someone giving a dissenting opinion, forum life may not be for you.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 pm If you can't handle someone giving a dissenting opinion, forum life may not be for you.
Just being optimistic and open-minded.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is the official name of the next Transformers film and Ron Perlman has just been cast as Optimus Primal.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:52 pm Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is the official name of the next Transformers film and Ron Perlman has just been cast as Optimus Primal.
Oh my god. Absolutely cannot wait for this. Hope they do Dinobot justice!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Dinobot's not in it. The cast is:

Autobots: Optimus, Bee, Arcee, Mirage
Maximals: Primal, Rhinox, Airazor, Cheetor (seen on set, not announced yet)
Predacons are in it apparently but nobody specific named
Terrorcons (new main villains, not the Abominus team from G1 or zombies from Prime): Scourge (described as a mix of the G1, and Cybertron versions) and Nightbird (former Decepticon)