The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

Post by Angilasman »

^ If Arrow or Criterion put out a huge box set of Soviet fantasy films from the '50s and '60s I'd be in heaven. Every one of those I've seen has been badass.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^I'd love it too, the only Soviet cinema I've seen are Ivan's Childhood, Solaris and Stalker (plus the Day the Earth Froze MST episode) and I'd love to see more!

I already posted on the TV reboot thread about this but I'd like to see MST get a fresh start. Jonah hasn't done it for me as host, and I don't really dig the vibe of the new seasons (not to say there's not good stuff in there.)
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I just bought the Blu-ray of the '60s Soviet horror/fairy tale film "Viy." It's a must-se. I went in totally cold when I stumbled upon it on Shudder a couple of years ago and it blew me away.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:46 pm They apparently had a mandate from both Netflix and
SYFY (in the '90s) to primarily do sci-fi/horror/fantasy. I loved how in the CC era they really tackled a lot of different kinds of movies, and I hope that's the case now that they're independent. Juvenile delinquent films, James Bond ripoff, Russian fantasy films, Italian sword and sorcery films, '70s TV movies that were failed pilots for shows...
TBH, the sci-fi stuff is what I gravitate to the most. Season 11 honestly is probably one of my favorite seasons in terms of actual film choices (Seasons 2-4 from the classic era are real close though). But if they do get to the 12 episode goal, of course there is always room for variety. Of course the top of my list would be to see them riff one more showa Gamera film. I'd be absolutely ecstatic if they did all three remaining showa films, but I'm not greedy, just one will suffice.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:46 pm They apparently had a mandate from both Netflix and
SYFY (in the '90s) to primarily do sci-fi/horror/fantasy. I loved how in the CC era they really tackled a lot of different kinds of movies, and I hope that's the case now that they're independent. Juvenile delinquent films, James Bond ripoff, Russian fantasy films, Italian sword and sorcery films, '70s TV movies that were failed pilots for shows...
Concerning the last category of films you mentioned here, if you want to see potential possibilities for MST3K, go to the Wikipedia article ABC Movie of the Week and you'll see a lot of them there in the section "List of episodes". Please take a look and let me know what you think.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:52 pm ^ If Arrow or Criterion put out a huge box set of Soviet fantasy films from the '50s and '60s I'd be in heaven. Every one of those I've seen has been badass.

Mosfilm has Ilya Muromets on their Youtube channel, in 4K with English subs (turn on captions).

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Thanks!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Last day of kickstarter. We've surpassed the initial goal!

In the end, I had to go for the $250 level. I knew I had to at least do $150 to get my name in the credits, but pre-ordering the eventual Season 13 box set pushed me over.

Honestly, these kickstarters have been a real bang for your buck. I'm getting an enormous amount of merch in addition to, you know, a whole season of my favorite show.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

12 new episodes, 12 shorts, and 2 specials
I can't wait. I just hope the freedom comes with a freedom of choice about movie selection as well. They can really go off. Though my "vanilla" request of just one Gamera film would make me incredibly happy.
Last edited by o.supreme on Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:17 pm 12 new episodes, 12 shorts, and 2 specials
I can't wait. I just hope the freedom comes with a freedom of choice about movie selection as well. They can really go off. Though my "vanilla" request of just one Gamera film would make me incredibly happy.
Your wish has been granted.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

And Gamera vs. Jiger is my favorite old Gamera!

(well, tied with Gyaos)

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

That is awesome!... I wasn't aware they were revealing episode titles already.... so far we have:

1. Robot Wars (1993) -I've never seen this, though I do remember seeing the box at the video store many times. After the awfulness of Robot Jox, I figured this was a pseudo sequel (Though the 2 films may have nothing to do with each other), but I'll look forward to seeing the crew riff it.

2. Demond Squad (2019) -I literally know nothing about this, but it's nice to see they won't shy away from newer films as well.

3. Gamera vs Jiger. (1969) - Awesome. Although some small part of me wishes they would have just got a TV version of Gamera vs Monster X. No worries though, even with the Japanese title, I'm sure they'll be riffing the English dub. This literally is wish fulfillment.

So 10 episodes left to reveal, they could literally go anywhere from here... I know the Asylum is an easy target, and they themselves even encourage it, but I hope MST kind of steers away from that stuff, and Corman as well.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

o.supreme wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 am I know the Asylum is an easy target, and they themselves even encourage it, but I hope MST kind of steers away from that stuff, and Corman as well.
Strongly agree. It's not that I won't watch and enjoy their take on them - it's generally not my favorite when they do them. Generally I prefer when they do older bad movies in general . Still I'm excited for it all.

- Michael

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've seen Robot Wars, and it is definitely MST3K material.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

o.supreme wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 am After the awfulness of Robot Jox
hey hey hey HEY
I will NOT stand for Robot Jox being besmirched! You wanna talk about Robot Wars, fine! Go right ahead! But Robot Jox didn't hurt nobody!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Season 13 films revealed:

The Batwoman (1968)
Beyond Atlantis (1973)
The Bubble (1966) - 3D
The Christmas Dragon (2014)
Demon Squad (2019)
Doctor Mordrid (1992)
Gamera vs. Jiger (1970)
H.G. Wells' The Shape of Things to Come (1979)
The Mask (1961) - 3D, first monochromatic film since Horrors of Spider Island in Season 10 (the 3D segments are in color).
The Million Eyes of Sumuru (1967) - Previously riffed in the KTMA season.
Munchie (1992)
Robot Wars (1993)
Santo and Dracula's Treasure (1969)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Seeing post-90s films on MST3K doesn't feel right.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:18 pm Seeing post-90s films on MST3K doesn't feel right.
Yeah, that feels like something that should just be Rifftrax's shtick.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Seems like a great selection. Nice balance of different eras and genres. We knew about Gamera, but the return of Santo is just as exciting.

I would love more non-genre fare, though: Italian 007 rip-offs! Juvenile delinquent films! Biker movies!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:25 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:18 pm Seeing post-90s films on MST3K doesn't feel right.
Yeah, that feels like something that should just be Rifftrax's shtick.
Werewolf was only two years old when it got riffed, the age of a film wasn't really all that important even back then. It probably just feels weird because for the longest time, MST3K had ended at the end of the 90's, and now it's back in this modern world, in a whole new fresh hell of direct-to-video garbage. After a good decade of no new episodes being produced and turning to YouTube to watch the oldies, our brains likely think of the show as still being locked in the 90's, so of course any movie made after Y2K turning up feels like a breach or violation of this now false reality.

Of course, I could just be completely talking out of my ass with this, but eh.

Now, whether or not these two post-90's films will be watchable, even in riffed form, that's important.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"