DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's set in Arkham so maybe it's about Harley studying Joker and her evolution into her villainous persona. Also, while not actual DCEU, sounds like Harley Quinn, Titans, and Doom Patrol are getting the axe as well. Discovery it seems has absolutely no interest in TV shows, just theatrical movies. Guess the Monarch show is lucky it's on AppleTV instead of HBOmax.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:37 pm It's set in Arkham so maybe it's about Harley studying Joker and her evolution into her villainous persona. Also, while not actual DCEU, sounds like Harley Quinn, Titans, and Doom Patrol are getting the axe as well. Discovery it seems has absolutely no interest in TV shows, just theatrical movies. Guess the Monarch show is lucky it's on AppleTV instead of HBOmax.
Monarch is on apple because its not a WB property and thus can't be canceled at their beck and call.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I really hope Harley isn’t cancelled, but if it is, that’s a damn shame. Feels weird that shows could get the axe like that. I understand the need for cohesion in the universe, but killing these shows that were already explicitly separate from the movies feels unnecessary, especially since they have their own audiences and could bring in more fans.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Cancelling Batgirl despite being at least almost completed. Wow. That is just....awful. Even if the movie was probably going to be bad, no movie deserved a fate like this. I hope this movie will have another chance someday in the near future.

Having Joker: Folie à Deux be a musical with Lady Gaga is....ugh. I just hope the movie is better than what I'm picturing in my head.

Also, take a look at this:
https://twitter.com/miakhalifa/status/1 ... 7348521984

Mia Khalifa actually supporting the "Release the Ayer Cut" movement. What a timeline we are living in.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I do not get people's bizarre, knee-jerk negative reaction to the idea of the Joker sequel being a musical.

The musical is a genre with a rich and varied history and incredible expressive potential. The filmmakers are treating this as subject matter worthy of examination through an array of artistic lenses. This is a sign that these characters are being given the kind of respect and creativity that they deserve.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 am I do not get people's bizarre, knee-jerk negative reaction to the idea of the Joker sequel being a musical.

The musical is a genre with a rich and varied history and incredible expressive potential. The filmmakers are treating this as subject matter worthy of examination through an array of artistic lenses. This is a sign that these characters are being given the kind of respect and creativity that they deserve.
Someone on Twitter got pissed off because they said Lady Gaga can is one of the worst actresses in Hollywood and I told them this is a musical and she's Oscar nominated with an oscar winning co star and a great director on this film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Harley Quinn is one of those characters that requires an ability to act. Singing talent alone won't cut it. Not that I have any experience with Lady Gaga's acting, so I'll reserve judgement. Just saying.

I think a musical is a great idea, though. I don't know how well a conventional sequel to Joker would have worked, so taking things in a wildly different direction makes sense. I'm glad to see creative chances being taken.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 am I do not get people's bizarre, knee-jerk negative reaction to the idea of the Joker sequel being a musical.

Some people just don't enjoy musicals though. And it's bizarre, knee jerk switch in genre from the last movie. While I'm still excited for it and can totally imagine some actual good scenes with emotion like you're describing; it's just a random genre switch up. It's like turning a slasher flick into a romantic comedy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Houndoom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:11 pm

Some people just don't enjoy musicals though. And it's bizarre, knee jerk switch in genre from the last movie. While I'm still excited for it and can totally imagine some actual good scenes with emotion like you're describing; it's just a random genre switch up. It's like turning a slasher flick into a romantic comedy.
It's fine to not enjoy musicals, but it's another thing to treat them as something inherently bad or cringy.

And I don't see it as a particularly bizarre switch from the last movie, which was very much about a character's twisted, subjective view of reality.

Turning a slasher flick into a romantic comedy is not the same thing at all, because that's a difference in tone and subject matter. Making it a musical is a change in form, and does not necessarily indicate and shift in narrative or thematic content.

A better point of comparison, to stick with slashers as an example, might be the distinct shift in visual and editorial style between the first two Friday the 13th movies, with the original's rough hewn naturalism giving way to the precise formal technique of the second. If anything, the introduction of a more explicitly expressionistic style to Joker is more internally motivated, as the character is letting loose his lingering grip on reality and giving in entirely to madness and delusion; there were moments at the end of Joker that could have transitioned into a musical quite organically.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:47 pm

It's fine to not enjoy musicals, but it's another thing to treat them as something inherently bad or cringy.

And I don't see it as a particularly bizarre switch from the last movie, which was very much about a character's twisted, subjective view of reality.

Turning a slasher flick into a romantic comedy is not the same thing at all, because that's a difference in tone and subject matter. Making it a musical is a change in form, and does not necessarily indicate and shift in narrative or thematic content.

A better point of comparison, to stick with slashers as an example, might be the distinct shift in visual and editorial style between the first two Friday the 13th movies, with the original's rough hewn naturalism giving way to the precise formal technique of the second. If anything, the introduction of a more explicitly expressionistic style to Joker is more internally motivated, as the character is letting loose his lingering grip on reality and giving in entirely to madness and delusion; there were moments at the end of Joker that could have transitioned into a musical quite organically.
While I get what you mean, there just isn't many musicals the general audience has to go off of to think this will be good. I seriously cant think of a recent musical at all without googling ones and the ones I see are literal whos and Disney plus stuff. Maybe if they were more common and popular there wouldn't be this stigma for this movie.

And regardless if it is bizarre or not for a Joker movie, it's still bizarre in general for any movie to do such. And I think that's where people are upset with, instead of getting more of what they like, they're getting something really different.

I'm 50/50 on it, you make good points on the expression, but I do fall into that bunch that thinks it's just cringy for some serious moment to turn into a song and dance scene. Who knows maybe you can recommend some actual good musicals to change my mind because all that come to mind is High School Musical and Grease, and wasn't one called Hair Spray?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A slasher movie/romantic comedy is something that really needs to exist, actually.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Houndoom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:49 pm Who knows maybe you can recommend some actual good musicals to change my mind because all that come to mind is High School Musical and Grease, and wasn't one called Hair Spray?
Here is what I posted for another user a couple of months back when we were discussing whether a musical can work as a serious character study:
Okay, thinking about serious and character-centric musicals, the best example that came to mind was Cabaret, which is about the social and political situation in Germany during the early rise of the Nazi party.

Rent is another one that looks at very serious real-world situations.

While it's a little lighter in tone, South Pacific is another character-driven musical which doesn't shy away from the serious aspects of its WW2 setting.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, with its dark satirical tone and greater focus on a single central character, is also potentially a pretty good point of reference for something like Joker, though there I would caution to avoid the Tim Burton movie - which strips away a lot of the characterization and depth - and look instead at the stage version.

Likewise, while it's definitely a sillier piece, Little Shop of Horrors does a pretty good job of exploring the mindset that leads its troubled protagonist down a particularly dark path (though, again, the stage version exemplifies this far better than the movie, not least of all because the movie eliminates some songs with introspective elements like "Now [It's Just the Gas"] and "The Meek Shall Inherit").

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't dabble much in musicals but Tick Tick Boom was another musical film I thought worked really well as a character study on the real life Jonathan Larson (same writer behind Rent).

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Here is what I posted for another user a couple of months back when we were discussing whether a musical can work as a serious character study:
Okay, thinking about serious and character-centric musicals, the best example that came to mind was Cabaret, which is about the social and political situation in Germany during the early rise of the Nazi party.

Rent is another one that looks at very serious real-world situations.

While it's a little lighter in tone, South Pacific is another character-driven musical which doesn't shy away from the serious aspects of its WW2 setting.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, with its dark satirical tone and greater focus on a single central character, is also potentially a pretty good point of reference for something like Joker, though there I would caution to avoid the Tim Burton movie - which strips away a lot of the characterization and depth - and look instead at the stage version.

Likewise, while it's definitely a sillier piece, Little Shop of Horrors does a pretty good job of exploring the mindset that leads its troubled protagonist down a particularly dark path (though, again, the stage version exemplifies this far better than the movie, not least of all because the movie eliminates some songs with introspective elements like "Now [It's Just the Gas"] and "The Meek Shall Inherit").
[/quote]

Appreciate the list I'll have to give some a watch!

Does anyone have hope for Black Adam? His cocky attitude and him wanting a "Black Adam DC Universe" is raising a lot of red flags for me.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Really wild how the new management of WB reads like a Simpsons parody of moronic executives. Hope TCM, Warner Archive, and adult swim will emerge unscathed.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Went to go watch DC League Of Superpets on a whim recently.

It was…actually pretty good. It felt more like a Justice League movie than the actual Justice League movie that we got twice. :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Houndoom wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:49 pm
eabaker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:47 pm

While I get what you mean, there just isn't many musicals the general audience has to go off of to think this will be good. I seriously cant think of a recent musical at all without googling ones and the ones I see are literal whos and Disney plus stuff. Maybe if they were more common and popular there wouldn't be this stigma for this movie.

And regardless if it is bizarre or not for a Joker movie, it's still bizarre in general for any movie to do such. And I think that's where people are upset with, instead of getting more of what they like, they're getting something really different.

I'm 50/50 on it, you make good points on the expression, but I do fall into that bunch that thinks it's just cringy for some serious moment to turn into a song and dance scene. Who knows maybe you can recommend some actual good musicals to change my mind because all that come to mind is High School Musical and Grease, and wasn't one called Hair Spray?
You're missing the best musical of all time, The Blues Brothers.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

It's an affront to society that none of you have yet mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show.

A plague on both your houses.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am It's an affront to society that none of you have yet mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show.

A plague on both your houses.
I'd much sooner mention Phantom of the Paradise.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 36304/amp/

I think Miller is trying to get the film canceled at this point.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image