DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by CyberZilla »

DC legitimately does not know what to do with their "universe." I know, big revelation. It bothers me how they want Superman, but not their own established Superman, for instance. A Superman with Cavill's suit, but they don't show his face. They can't seem to commit to a full reboot, so the measures to do a soft one are agonizingly tepid. It's hard to get invested when they don't seem that invested themselves.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

CyberZilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:40 pm DC legitimately does not know what to do with their "universe." I know, big revelation. It bothers me how they want Superman, but not their own established Superman, for instance. A Superman with Cavill's suit, but they don't show his face. They can't seem to commit to a full reboot, so the measures to do a soft one are agonizingly tepid. It's hard to get invested when they don't seem that invested themselves.
Which is exactly why I just treat The Suicide Squad and Shazam! as their own standalone films.

Black Adam and Shazam 2 are also looking like they're setting up to feel "standalone" as well which is a good thing.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s a shame too. I really like Cavill as Superman. I feel like he’s demonstrated he has the chops to really pull the character off, despite what he’s been forced to work with so far.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think the only truly get DCEU films so far have been the trio of films Snyder has directed. Wonder Woman is next best. I imagine the Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad would be much better than the butchered cut we have now.

But Aquaman, Wonder Woman 1984, Birds of Prey, Shazam, THE Suicide Squad...they are the definition of "Mid", and everything coming up has me about as interested as I am in any of the Marvel films being churned out these days.

Black Adam MIGHT be worth something if they can really let Johnson's Black Adam be the Vegeta to Cavill's Superman being Goku. I just don't think that is what we are going to get though.

Even The Batman has seriously worn off upon revisits, it is very good....but upon further thinking and scrutiny it doesn't hold a candle to The Dark Knight.

At this point I'm only coming back if Snyder gets to make Justice League 2 and 3.

The Marvel and DC brands represent superheroes of the 20th century trying to be updated and reformatted for the 21st century, but they are inherently of a bygone era of the genre.

I watch something like My Hero Academia and it has everything I love about the superhero genre(combined with all of the best trademarks of the shonen anime genre) while avoiding virtually all of the major pitfalls that are literally built into Marvel and DC.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Eh, I'm kind of the opposite - outside of Wonder Woman I thought the Snyder era stuff was worse than what came out since. Aquaman and Shazam are fun, Birds of Prey is a joy ride, and The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are badass, especially Peacemaker which is probably the legit best argument anyone can make for the DCEU just to get more Peacemaker (which is surprising considering how he left TSS and how I usually rank shows lower than films personally). The Snyderverse never caught my attention outside BvS, and even then only when Batman was on screen. That dour take on Superman was just...not my Superman.

I do wish that they'd just recast already and move on from the cameos - but I in no way want Johnson's Black Adam to become his "Vegeta" - because that's not how that interaction would play out. Johnson is only interested in proving his Black Adam is stronger than Superman and having a film where he freaking owns Superman and beats him soundly. I'm just not interested in seeing Superman get his butt kicked.

So far while DC has largely been meh to good, not great, I think as long as it remains in the fun direction of Shazam, Aquaman, BOP, TSS, and Peacemaker, then I'll stick around for the ride. But really think the next slate of movies are really going to be make or break. Everything from Shazam on has kind of been solo don't rock the boat kind of movies, world building and interconnectedness has kind of taken a backseat. Black Adam forward is them trying to move forward with big ideas and build things up again, and like Snyder's reign this I feel is where they risk possibly blowing it. At least we'll have season 2 of Peacemaker.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Peacemaker is the single best thing to come out of the DCEU (I don't count The Batman). It's way better than The Suicide Squad if you ask me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Next big team up movie should just be Black Adam, Peacemaker, Aquaman, and Harley Quinn and/or Wonder Woman.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jim Lee has officially confirmed (though really, this should be common knowledge) that there are absolutely no plans for a sequel to Zack Snyder's Justice League.
https://twitter.com/earthonecarlos/stat ... de%3Dfalse
In other news, water is wet.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

DC was probably done with Zack when he started talking about having Batman get raped in jail.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Every time I see a hashtag of restoring the "Snyderverse," I groan a little. I realize that it has a weird cult following, but WB has given up on the Snyder direction for their universe. Give it a rest.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I used to think the DCEU was better than the MCU, but my opinion has changed since 2020. The DCEU could have been amazing had WB let Zack do what he want instead of f*cking him over and turning this shared universe to an MCU 2.0.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

As much as I like Zack Snyder, I think I would side a little with Wonderbros with the restrictions, I don’t think anybody want a official Batman who got rape

Added in 14 minutes 41 seconds:
As for Miller, Jesus Christ I am surprise on how awful A human being he can be, this man need a lot of SERIOUS fucking help or lock up Behind bars
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:38 am DC was probably done with Zack when he started talking about having Batman get raped in jail.
This was a spitball on the spot example he gave of how he views “dark” vs how others might view “dark”.

And he’s right, his dark is darker than other’s. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn’t use an interview where he’s joking with someone on how dark he’d make a Batman film if he wanted too as an example of why DC dropped him.

His darker more philosophical vision was quite refreshing against all of the run of the mill stuff we get now. But I guess as long as people get their polka-dot men smashed into a bloody jelly by giant pink starfish while a girl who controls rats fights Modern America incarnate who happens to have a KKK father and a terrible love life, it doesn’t really matter any more lol.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:02 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:38 am DC was probably done with Zack when he started talking about having Batman get raped in jail.
This was a spitball on the spot example he gave of how he views “dark” vs how others might view “dark”.

And he’s right, his dark is darker than other’s. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn’t use an interview where he’s joking with someone on how dark he’d make a Batman film if he wanted too as an example of why DC dropped him.

His darker more philosophical vision was quite refreshing against all of the run of the mill stuff we get now. But I guess as long as people get their polka-dot men smashed into a bloody jelly by giant pink starfish while a girl who controls rats fights Modern America incarnate who happens to have a KKK father and a terrible love life, it doesn’t really matter any more lol.
How many people have we seen get dropped for Jokes both greater and less than in the world of Hollywood business.

Yes he said it as a joke but we don't know if he scared any higher ups or not with said Joke. I honestly thin Whedon however was who did the final blow to Synder as JL should have been a hit no matter what.

Synder was forced to run up to Marvel and sadly his vision paid the price.

It's also ironic if he really sent his fans after Godzilla vs Kong and the MV is still moving foreword while he is done.

Finally I will say this while I enjoy MoS and love Henry Cavil's Superman I am beyond ready for a Reeves or even Smallville style Superman film.

The world could use a inspiring film like that now days.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Well, considering it just came to light that a huge chunk of the Snyderverse movement was an army of bots and fake Twitter accounts, he REALLY isn't coming back. And considering his little twits tried gunning for GvK, I say good f'n riddance.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

So Shazam fury of the gods trailer just dropped on you tube. It's coming out around Christmas so it's going to have competition with Avatar.

As far as the trailer itself, looks alright. I like the look, but it references memes too much imo (yes Billy is a kid but still). I might rent it but that's about it.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Aw yeah! Shazam 2 looks fucking lit!

Can't wait for this and Black Adam! :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DC is getting absolutely smoked at Hall H today lol. That was really all they thought to bring?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm quite disappointed(furious)with DC first in person SDCC in over two years and you just promote two movies that we've already seen footage of with no new announcements or updates to other projects and then and insult to injury Marvel who was not expecting to reveal much due to mostly promoting their stuff on D23 manage to exceed everybody's expectations in all the announcements they made with a panel just as long. This is complete shite

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dc made ne want to go watch Shazam after today so good for them. Also fans booed The Rock apprantly because a rumor of Herny Cavil showing up wasn't true.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image