The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Legion1979 »

Me and my wife went to the theater twice yesterday, once to see The Bob's Burgers Movie and again to see Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Really enjoyed both.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:48 am Me and my wife went to the theater twice yesterday, once to see The Bob's Burgers Movie and again to see Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Really enjoyed both.
"Went tho the theater twice"? You theater hopped and you know it, you thieving young hooligans!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon May 30, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Watched the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy for the first time, all in one sitting. Pretty great set of movies, 2nd one was my favorite but I adored all three, even the much maligned 3 I thought was on the same level as its peers even if it brings up the rear in the overall ranking of the trilogy.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Since I finished watching Ultraman 80 and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger earlier this year, I've watched all of Kamen Rider Ryuki and Ultraman: Towards the Future. I'm almost finished with Mirrorman and Space Sheriff Gavan, I'm midway through Ultraman Dyna, and I recently started Himitsu Sentai Goranger.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

I saw the Bob's Burgers movie yesterday. I wish they had taken more chances as it just seemed like a bigger tv episode. Some of the art styles looked interesting though.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I watched Jurassic World Dominion while I was in PA.
I will say, its my favorite of the Jurassic World films. The only one I would rate higher than a 5 out of 10. Thats about the only thing good I have to say about it though, and Im hopeful that this franchise will finally just lay down and die.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I doubt that's happening.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I watched The Red Shoes (1948) yesterday. Been meaning to see it for years, because obviously its reputation makes it feel like an obligation for any kind of real movie fan. Kind of embarrassed it took me this long.

Anyway, I'm afraid that, for me, it feel a little short of that reputation. Oh, the photography is of course as gorgeous as I'd always heard, and the central ballet sequence was quite stunning.

But narratively, it was kind of meandering, good character and comedy moments were interspersed with hand-wringing melodramatic excess, and the climax was completely unearned.

Hope I haven't offended anyone here with this near-blasphemous take.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Gammera The Invincible: 8/10
Gamera The Giant Monster: 7/10
Gamera vs Barugon: 8/10
Gamera vs Gyaos: 7.75/10
Gamera vs Viras: 6.75/10
Gamera vs Gurion: 6.5/10
Gamera vs Jiger: 7/10
Gamera Super Monster: 4/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys just me once again.

I last watched the Amicus movie 'Warlords of Atlantis'.

For some reason this movie used to play a lot as the midday movie just a few years back.

This movie really is packed with movie monsters. Just really neat. You have not one but two set pieces with the octopus. You have this other monster that appears like Dagon although the characters refer to it as a Millipede. It looks nothing like a Millipede. There's also kaiju sized Ankylosaurs laying siege to the walls of Atlantis.

The sound recording for the dialogue sounds just like Doctor Who of the era. It is British so it must be the same gear. I don't know just something I noticed.

I'd definitely recommend all of the following Amicus films if you enjoy stuff like Ray Harryhausen movies. The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot, At The Earth's Core and the mentioned Warlords of Atlantis.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Land kinda sticks out from the rest. Its the only one without a female character who's boobs are practically falling out of their outfit. Not that I'm complaining but its something I've noticed. If only Warner Archive would release a decent transfer of Warlords on home video.

Added in 5 minutes 24 seconds:
Watched Beavis & Butthead Do the Universe. Its everything you'd come to expect. Mike Judge hasn't lost a step with these two.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

eabaker wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:23 pm I watched The Red Shoes (1948) yesterday. Been meaning to see it for years, because obviously its reputation makes it feel like an obligation for any kind of real movie fan. Kind of embarrassed it took me this long.

Anyway, I'm afraid that, for me, it feel a little short of that reputation. Oh, the photography is of course as gorgeous as I'd always heard, and the central ballet sequence was quite stunning.

But narratively, it was kind of meandering, good character and comedy moments were interspersed with hand-wringing melodramatic excess, and the climax was completely unearned.

Hope I haven't offended anyone here with this near-blasphemous take.
Martin Scorsese is going to come after you if he reads this!

But seriously: I've always felt like A Matter of Life and Death, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and Black Narcissus (from the same director/producer team) are superior to Red Shoes. Those first two especially! I like Red Shoes, but I feel it gets a boosted rep because it was considered too "out there" when it was released, was the beginning of their critical and commercial downturn after a long string of hits, and was only rediscovered and boosted by high profile fans (like Scorsese) decades later who then held it up as this misunderstood masterpiece.

Again, I still think it's good, but Blimp and Matter of? Those are nigh perfect movies.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I finished 'In Search of Tomorrow' almost ten minutes ago. Great as it is, I'm really disappointed 'Godzilla 1985' and 'Transformers: The Movie' weren't covered like the advertising made it seem like they'd be.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Last Night in Soho. 8/10, pretty good time. Gorgeous, that's for sure. Definitely better than that James Wan trash.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

During its run, I never got around to watching 'Amphibia'. But I'm currently changing that after seeing the easter egg in 'King's Tide'. And even though I'm not exactly going into the show spoiler free, I'm still getting my fair share of enjoyment out of it, especially with how it gives great twists to certain story archetypes.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just watched Foxy Brown, my first true dip into the blaxsploitation genre, and it’s definitely a wild ride. I’ll definitely keep this one in my back pocket next time I’m trying to get a group of friends to watch a movie together, seems like it’d be fantastic with a crowd
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 pm Just watched Foxy Brown, my first true dip into the blaxsploitation genre, and it’s definitely a wild ride. I’ll definitely keep this one in my back pocket next time I’m trying to get a group of friends to watch a movie together, seems like it’d be fantastic with a crowd
Just curious, is this also your first exposure to the films of Jack Hill?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:11 am
Just curious, is this also your first exposure to the films of Jack Hill?
As a matter of fact it is, any recommendation on what to watch next? I was probably going to go straight to Coffy.
He Jock it Made of Steel