My little Pony: Friendship is magic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Gojira1604
G-Force Personnel

Re: My little Pony: Friendship is magic

Post by Gojira1604 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:23 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:14 pm The fact that this show ended before the new decade is for the better in my book. We can’t afford to have another Simpsons, Family Guy or Spongebob on our hands. Btw, do any of you think it would be cool of this show had a spin-off or two? Maybe one featuring the dragons.
Hard agree on the first point. FiM came close to exhausting itself as it was, and any more seasons would almost certainly have been completely superfluous.

Hard disagree on the second point. None of the non-pony species were interesting enough (in the show itself, at least) to nearly justify their own series. In any case, Friendship is Magic was a remarkable landmark of a show, and it really should be allowed to just wrap up and stand on its own. Let G5 come in and do its own new things.
I think the show did end at the perfect time and perfect length. IF the show did have a spin off I could see either Daring Do or Tempest Shadow(voiced by someone less expensive though) carrying a series of their own adventures. Maybe even the Shadowbolts or Dazzlings, lowkey rogues from the human world. When it comes to Generation 5, I wonder if I personally will be able to like it as much as mah precious G4 characters.
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

There's no possible way I'll like G5 as much as I did the first five seasons of G4, before my interest faded. Nothing is ever going to recapture that unexpected joy, so I'm just not concerned at all. If G5 is good, good. If it's not, oh well. I don't need or want a replacement for FiM.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

Still glacially grinding away at S9. I'm planning on speeding up and probably just knocking out the last few episodes over the next few days. I want to finally get it done both for its own sake and so I can break back into whatever is left of the fandom and check out G5.

Anyway, I just got done with She Talks to Angel, which was great. As the pet with the most personality, Angel did deserve a focus episode, and I think this might've been the only body-swap episode in the show; that obviously was a concept that had to happen, and playing with Fluttershy's ability to talk to animals was a nice use for it. I appreciated finally having the awkward predator/prey issue finally addressed, and seeing the animal sanctuary revisited. Zecora appearances are always welcome, too, of course.

And I also watched Dragon Dropped, which must've been an event when it happened. I wish I'd watched it live and seen the fandom's reaction, heh. Spike finally outgrows his crush on Rarity and randomly ends up with Gabby the griffon. Why the skreeonk not? :lol: I love it. Good for Spike. He gets an appreciation episode and an actual girlfriend, heck of a way to send him out. Yes, I'm aware it wasn't outright said that they're more than friends. Shut the skreeonk up, I'm putting my shipping goggles back on for the first time in years. You can't stop me.

Gojira1604
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojira1604 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:30 am Still glacially grinding away at S9. I'm planning on speeding up and probably just knocking out the last few episodes over the next few days. I want to finally get it done both for its own sake and so I can break back into whatever is left of the fandom and check out G5.

Anyway, I just got done with She Talks to Angel, which was great. As the pet with the most personality, Angel did deserve a focus episode, and I think this might've been the only body-swap episode in the show; that obviously was a concept that had to happen, and playing with Fluttershy's ability to talk to animals was a nice use for it. I appreciated finally having the awkward predator/prey issue finally addressed, and seeing the animal sanctuary revisited. Zecora appearances are always welcome, too, of course.

And I also watched Dragon Dropped, which must've been an event when it happened. I wish I'd watched it live and seen the fandom's reaction, heh. Spike finally outgrows his crush on Rarity and randomly ends up with Gabby the griffon. Why the skreeonk not? :lol: I love it. Good for Spike. He gets an appreciation episode and an actual girlfriend, heck of a way to send him out. Yes, I'm aware it wasn't outright said that they're more than friends. Shut the skreeonk up, I'm putting my shipping goggles back on for the first time in years. You can't stop me.
Rarity "pursuing" Spike was pretty jarring I'll say & I kinda understand why I didn't sit well with some people. & when it comes to ships; I personally prefer Spike with either Sweetie Belle or Smolder the dragon(or he could always go with any one of his many Crystal Fangirls). Gabby I like with Grubber the Hedgehog, kinda crack that one, I realize.😁

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

1. I think the stigma against children's shows is stupid. Animation is art. Adventure time is amazing. Avatar the Last Airbender is my favorite show of all time. Steven Universe was amazing...for the first two seasons (no, its not because they became more openly LGBT as the show progressed, Im liberal as skreeonk, its just that the writing sucked) .... I don't see any issue with adults being into kid shows, because all of those shows I listed are quite mature in their writing, for the most part. The obsession with MLP is weird to me, its not a super intelligently written kids show, its like a show for little little kids, specifically for young girls. So grown men being into that is weird to me, but ultimately, its harmless.
Okay, so this is all a misunderstanding, then. You're assuming MLP is something along the lines of a Paw Patrol or Dora The Explorer or that kind of thing. No, not at all. The writing actually is quite intelligent, with well-fleshed-out characters, legitimately funny humor, and impressive long-term continuity. I won't put it quite up on the level of honest-to-God greats like Avatar, but it's plenty comparable to Adventure Time or Steven Universe. It was created by Lauren Faust, who worked on high-tier stuff like Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, so that's the level of quality we're talking about. And while it is centered on Friendship-themed slice-of-life and life lessons (which it handles well and with surprising sincerity), it has a healthy side dose of Magical Girl adventure and action:

Borderline-Disney-grade musical numbers, too (at least in the early seasons; they mostly ran out of steam by S5):

My goal here is not to 'convert' you (I don't have to; it's inevitable, something something resistance is futile), but since you're obviously a fan of quality cartoons, I do recommend checking out an episode or two just, again, for the sake of knowing what it is. The episode that song is from (May The Best Pet Win, from season 2) is as solid an episode as any, and the first season's Winter Wrap-Up, Suited For Success, and Party of One are still among the best.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

And thanks to Executive Hamster for initiating this conversation, because it finally got me to quit dragging my feet and watch the last four episodes. Over two years late, but I'm glad I took my time. The SugarMac episode was nice, a funny and fitting conclusion to their arc. I love that the apple monster was just named 'Large Apple' in the credits; there's pretty much no way that wasn't a reference to Mac's originally planned name, 'Big Apple'.

And then there was the finale. A touch rough around the edges, but probably the best multi-parter the show ever did, and overall a beautiful sendoff for our old friends. I do think I would have preferred to have the villain alliance become friends and see the error of their ways on their own, but at the same time acknowledgement that some people are always going to be scumbags you just can't befriend was more honest, and it was kinda nice to see the 'ol 'turned to stone by a giant magical Friendship laser' bit get one last use.

The Last Problem tried a little too hard to be a 'standard' episode with overreactions and goofy chaos, but I enjoyed the glimpse of the future, with Her Royal Highness Best Pony finally settled into her role as a serene, confident alicorn princess with an antisocial student of her own. Pinkie marrying Cheese was a bit unexpected, but why not, and they.... canonized AppleDash? They canonized AppleDash. Bizarre and needless, but I guess it must've been another nod to the show's robust and loyal shipping community, and that's pretty cool. Daniel Ingram managing to put one last pretty good song together for the final scene was great, too.

Well, that's that. The book is closed. Farewell, Friendship is Magic. You legitimately made positive contributions to my life and personality, and I'll always remember you fondly. Almost eleven years on, and I still laugh when I realize that I somehow became a fan of My Little Pony. Who would've guessed?
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Executive Hamster »

Maybe I have misunderstood it, maybe I havent, but regardless Im just not particularly interested in it, and a big part of that is presentation. Im not going to watch a show about pastel cartoon horses. Its just not my thing. I would be very shocked if it was truly as good as Adventure Time or early Steven Universe. Adventure Time started a new era of cartoons and was one of the earliest shows I remember that switched from a silly story to something more mature and thematic. And Steven Universe, before the tropes of sappiness and bad writing overtook it, had brilliant music, world building and characters. I just cannot see this show being that good. But maybe it is. Im not going to say it isnt anymore. Im going to leave it at "its not for me".

Thanks for clearing things up though. This really makes me want a thread talking about why I think Avatar and Adventure Time are the most important cartoons of the last 20 years. Maybe Ill do that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:36 pm I just cannot see this show being that good. But maybe it is.
As someone who used to watch the show, I can provide an alternative opinion to JAG's.

It's really not. At least, I don't think it is.

FIM really only gets the amount of praise it does because of how it compares to its predecessors. It's the first entry in the franchise (maybe, IDK I'm not exactly an expert on things) to really take itself seriously beyond the capacity to sell toys to young girls (not that it didn't divulge in that, it blatantly did on multiple occasions) and because of the creative team behind it. The actual show itself? It's good, yeah but not that great, especially compared to its contemporaries. It's success and accomplishments exist only in relation to its history, not to anything else. FIM didn't really usher in any sort of new wave of animated television shows, nor did it really pioneer any type of storytelling in that medium either. It was a good show but not much more than that.

It was a long-running animated show based on a licensed property and for what that's worth, it managed to elevate that property beyond its very surface level reputation. And, it clearly did something right based on responses like this:
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am You legitimately made positive contributions to my life and personality, and I'll always remember you fondly.
Like, maybe there is something more to this show that we're just not seeing or didn't see when I watched it. But I don't know. I just look back on my years of watching it with nothing more than embarrassment at not actually watching it because I enjoyed it, but watching it to hop onto a bandwagon. It's undoubtedly got its die-hard fans but I just don't see it as anything more than a really nice surprise from a franchise that had been creatively brain-dead for most of the new millennium.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

I will challenge the assertion that it didn't do anything to usher in a new wave of animated TV shows. I used to be a member of the Toonzone forums, which were basically a community for the discussion of animated programming in general. You had fans of everything there, and people that kept up to date on the industry as a whole. A frequent complaint I would see there was that outside of Disney movies and rare gems like Powerpuff Girls, there were virtually no good American shows targeted at girls or even featuring primarily female characters. Plenty of brainless toy commercials existed, certainly, but nothing with any real effort put in. Nickelodeon, Disney, and especially Cartoon Network saw girls' programming as low priority and financially risky; CN was even openly turning down show pitches for having female leads, even if the rest of the concept looked promising.

Then FIM came along, and it made bank, dominating ratings and toy sales for a few years there. Social media came along around the same time and Toonzone ended up as a ghost town, so I haven't been actively plugged into the animation community in several years and am now in more speculative territory based on what I passively see. That said, the cartoon landscape isn't what it was pre-Pony. Steven Universe, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, The Loud House, Amphibia, etc. There's a lot more female representation now, and some of these shows are heavy-hitting flagships for their channels. It obviously goes without saying that larger social trends toward inclusivity and representation are major causes of this phenomenon, but the fact that it came right on the heels of a highly successful show that very loudly and publicly proved that a quality show targeted at girls can and will be embraced by other demographics can't be entirely coincidental.

For me personally, FIM and the unbelievably productive creative side of its fandom provided me with entertainment every day for about six years. That isn't a particularly special accomplishment on its own, other shows could've (and have) done the same, but it's still something I appreciate. I was very bored in 2011, actively looking for a fandom to immerse myself in, and the brony community gave me much more fun than I had hoped for. All the hours reading fanfiction and trying to sort the good from the bad taught me some things about writing and analysis, too, which is useful.

More importantly, being a member of a weird, unlikely fringe fandom like this taught me what that experience is like. Before, I would see, say, adult fans of The Wiggles or Yo Gabba Gabba*, and automatically assume drugs and perversion were involved. This is skreeonked up, these are people to be avoided. And maybe that was actually true, I have no idea. :lol: But, having been a grown-ass man that watches My Little Pony religiously, I'm now much more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably are perfectly normal, decent people that just enjoy the cute and childish and wholesome, and good for them. I'm less likely to judge or assume anything negative. And this mindset applies across the board, not just to the listed examples.

The unity of the brony fandom, the sense of togetherness and positivity and fun, was also such a breath of fresh air. Everywhere else I see internet fandom tribalism and toxicity and division, and it just looks so damn sad by comparison. And a lot of bronies even embraced the values of the show! Yeah, 'Love and Tolerance' was a sarcastic meme for many, but there were absolutely those who took Kindness and Generosity to heart. Auctions for charity were a major feature of conventions, regularly raising thousands of dollars. Brony donations funded the construction of a clinic somewhere in Africa, for example. Does the Godzilla fandom do things like that? I've never heard about it. I personally was too broke to donate, but it was still cool to see. And while I'm still an asshole, I like to think that being surrounded by positive values like that did improve my personality at least a little bit. :P

*Okay, Yo Gabba Gabba was amazing enough on its own, I can only imagine what drugs elevate it into. :lol:
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojira1604 »

I finished watching this show (last weekend on my birthday) with Mom after we'd been watching it for about 2 years after the finale premiered. She found the finale "really beautiful" and I could see the water in her eyes by the end lol, that was a little surprising. Though she found most episodes entertaining and did say she wanted to keep watching them even after finishing the show, I still don't know if she ever found it as impressive a show as I did. I don't think I want to rewatch the series again so soon either, and ANG didn't really do it for me so I don't know if I'll watch the Gen5 series. I imagine I'll stay as involved with MLP as I have been for seven years now which is through my browsing, collecting, creating and sharing of fan art. I wanted to say that RN the cartoon I'm most into (watch time wise) would be The Owl House. With its very charming characters, wit and intriguing fantasy world, I'd call it the successor to MLP in my heart at least :lol:
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Executive Hamster »

So here is the thing. From my understanding, as someone who cares alot about animated shows, the explosion of new diverse cartoons that began in 2010 and went on through about 2015-2017 was largely a result of Adventure Time, which began several months before MLP. At the very least on the Cartoon Network side as well as Disney, with both Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, as well as Regular Show and all those short lived but really good shows like Generator Rex and Symbionic Titan. This was the cartoon renaissance, as its usually referred to, mainly because prior to Adventure Time, Cartoon Network had largely abandoned animated properties for live action content, probably one of the least popular moves in the channel's history. And of course, whenever Cartoon Network does something new and revolutionary, other channels are quick to follow.

All I know is that when people talk about this era of animation, they don't typically credit the change in the landscape to MLP. Im not going to say it wasn't important in female representation, but I will say is that Rebecca Sugar might be the most important female cartoon producer of the last decade and she made her start in Adventure Time, directing some of the best episodes of the show.

Im not going to immediately doubt what you say about the brony fandom, but I will say that to outsiders, they certainly APPEAR to have the most toxic fandom on the entire internet. People always debate about toxic fandoms and its not really a discussion worth having, because everyone thinks their fandom is the most toxic. I thought Steven Universe was the most toxic, considering that they regularly threatened the showrunners and bullied fans to suicide, but ultimately MLP is leagues above that. I'd say that a good percentage of the adult MLP fans Ive come into contact with online have either been neck beards, extremely fetishistic and creepy, or an alt right white supremacist....which, to be fair, Im not sure I see the connection there. But Ive seen it. And I'll acknowledge that these people are probably not a very large portion of the fandom, I just find it interesting how different our perceptions on bronys is.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

I guess I'll step back a bit and allow that my actual direct interaction with the fandom was limited. I didn't frequent forums besides this one, and mostly stayed out of comment sections besides the ones on FIMFiction, which catered to a somewhat classy kind of crowd. So fine, the drooling masses might've been worse than I realized. That's entirely possible.

Kiryu2012
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Well, it was certainly a trip growing up alongside this series. I've acted rather dumb in my embarrassing preteen years regarding old opinions related to FiM, but I've matured and come to appreciate this show for what it had to offer. Even some of the episodes many disliked, I enjoyed to some degree or another (especially the Discord episodes), and I've found the series finale to be a rather satisfactory one. I'm still in a few groups related to this show, and I still enjoy seeing fan content of it, and as a whole I can definitely say this series was a positive influence on my life.

Discord is still best pony.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy poop man.
My DA

Gojira1604
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojira1604 »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:57 pm Well, it was certainly a trip growing up alongside this series. I've acted rather dumb in my embarrassing preteen years regarding old opinions related to FiM, but I've matured and come to appreciate this show for what it had to offer. Even some of the episodes many disliked, I enjoyed to some degree or another (especially the Discord episodes), and I've found the series finale to be a rather satisfactory one. I'm still in a few groups related to this show, and I still enjoy seeing fan content of it, and as a whole I can definitely say this series was a positive influence on my life.

Discord is still best pony.
Discord would definitely be best pony if he wasn't a Draconequs.