The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

The Mummy's Hand. Nothing at all on its predecessor and just a goofy B-movie compared to the original Universal classics, but a decently fun time. The silly, bumbling characters kept it from getting overly dull, and even if he was pretty lame and non-threatening, I was glad to see the Mummy remain wrapped in linen the whole time. I wish the magician hadn't been sidelined for the final action, though. It made him feel irrelevant, and there are easy, obvious ways he could've been useful for distracting Kharis or something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Halloween (1978): 8.5/10
Halloween II (1981): 8.5/10
Halloween III: Season of The Witch: 8/10
Halloween 4 Return of Michael Myers: 8.5/10
Halloween 5 Revenge of Michael Myers: 7.50/10
Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers: 5.5/10
Halloween H20: 5.75/10
Halloween Resurrection: 6/10
Tales From The Crypt (1972): 8/10
Pumpkinhead: 8.5/10
Halloween (2018): 7/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Decided to give Squid Game a view after seeing all the hype.

Damn, does it really deserve that hype and more. I was hooked from the first few minutes and was interested the entire way through. Very much recommend watching it for anyone that’s still on the fence.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Halloween Kills.

I don't care what the plebs say, I loved it. The only Covid-19 delay that honestly bothered me, and after all the waiting I'm very happy it delivered for my personal hype. Seeing Michael Myers fuck shit up in the most brutal ways possible and I loved the ending. Looking forward, highly, to the next installment!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Squid Game is definitely a high priority on my watch list. All four of my siblings binged through and liked it. I'm just going to finish Kingdom first; six episodes to go on that. And I'll go ahead and toss out a recommendation for that show; if you want zombie content with a very unconventional setting and genre, give it a shot.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:55 am Halloween Kills.

I don't care what the plebs say, I loved it. The only Covid-19 delay that honestly bothered me, and after all the waiting I'm very happy it delivered for my personal hype. Seeing Michael Myers skreeonk poop up in the most brutal ways possible and I loved the ending. Looking forward, highly, to the next installment!
Which, I hope you know, is going to be the end of the current storyline.

After that, who knows what they'll do?
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:15 am The Mummy's Hand. Nothing at all on its predecessor and just a goofy B-movie compared to the original Universal classics, but a decently fun time. The silly, bumbling characters kept it from getting overly dull, and even if he was pretty lame and non-threatening, I was glad to see the Mummy remain wrapped in linen the whole time. I wish the magician hadn't been sidelined for the final action, though. It made him feel irrelevant, and there are easy, obvious ways he could've been useful for distracting Kharis or something.
I've always thought this was a really fun movie. I respect the 1932 film a lot but this is my *favorite* of Universal's Mummy films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Been watching Ozark on Netflix. While it's not exactly scratching the same itch that Sopranos did, I really enjoy it.

I'm really looking forward to Dune, Venom 2 and Halloween Kills next week, which I'll watch with my wife, all of which are in theaters. It's going to be really nice watching movies back to back and having fun together.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The new Halloween seems like it's aggressively trying to burn the goodwill earned by the last one. There's a couple decent bits but they're confined to the beginning, the movie just builds up the suck as the runtime drags on.
There were some potentially good story bits in there too provided they worked on the script more than 30 seconds.
I'm no Michael Myers fan btw, I've only seen the first two films and the '18 one, which I thought was really effective, even the dumb humor bits.
Spoiler:
Dr. Loomis shows up in a flashback at the beginning, and I think it might actually be my favorite bit, because as it turns out, they used a crew member who looks almost exactly like Donald Pleasence with a little makeup and ADR! That's actually kinda cool!
Also Michael McDonald from MadTV is in this one for some reason. :shrug: It's honestly better watched on Peacock than wasting money for theater tix imo.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys just me once again.

I last watched the movie Halloween Kills.

It has some good scenes and high points but overall definitely not the best Halloween movie. I think it might be more fun to watch than the 2018 movie though.

One thing is that fantastic 1978 flashback. If they can actually make a movie with good lighting and shadow that looks like a movie then why do they make so many horror movies now that are just color graded muddy green and brown?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). I have basically no experience with the franchise, just having seen bits and pieces of a few of the sequels as a kid, and the 2010 remake, which probably would have been lame and forgettable even if I had given a crap about horror back then. The original deserves its success, though. Freddy is a fantastic monster, and the first half of the movie does a great job of building him up as something terrible and beyond understanding.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And the first episode of Squid Game. This show is freaking nuts, and I'm already hooked.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Dracula (1931): Tod Browning version: 9.5/10
Dracula 1931 Spanish version: 9/10
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992): 9/10
Frankenstein (1931): 9.5/10
The Invisible Man (1933): 9/10
The Mummy (1932): 8.5/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Rewatched Return of the Living Dead last night, and my god, what a tight script and fun movie. It's clockwork and chaos in all the right places.
I also forgot that Tarman is kind of adorable 😅
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:19 am Rewatched Return of the Living Dead last night, and my god, what a tight script and fun movie. It's clockwork and chaos in all the right places.
I also forgot that Tarman is kind of adorable 😅
It's really such a well-oiled machine of a movie. O'Bannon was great at building a story that follows a problem through a logical escalation (as he did in Alien), the performances land the comedy/horror/pathos mix with total precision, and Oh! that soundtrack!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Alright, late to the party with this one, but finally caught No Time to Die tonight. A little long in the tooth, could have used some more characterization of the villain, but I have no real complaints. Nice ending to Craig's Bond series.
Spoiler:
I'm convinced the only reason Safin was a weeabo was so Bond could pull off that trick where he bowed and then shot all those dudes

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I last watched the movie Dune.

A lot of shots look great and have a true sense of scale in it's visuals. Like a futuristic Lawrence of Arabia. However the colors of the movie were a bit dull and uninspiring to me. Stellan Skarsgard is really good in the role of the villain. More so than anything the sound design is incredible. I didn't really like the score though. Despite everything that worked I didn't fall in love with the narrative and found it a bit ponderous after a while. I don't think I haven't any great desire to see it again. I doubt I would consider it a bad movie. Just not really my thing.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dune: Fantastic
Scream 1 and 2: Not fantastic, but not bad either. Great movies to watch with friends, and they hit that sweet spot of enjoyability.

Halloween Kills: AUUUUGH
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I last watched two movies.

The first one was the film Malignant. I found it to be quite a creative and hilarious horror movie just like the film it's modeled after Basket Case.

The other movie was a 1998 version of The Lost World. I'm not sure if it was a sci-fi channel TV movie or a straight to DVD movie. It definitely felt like one of those. Apparently the actor Michael Sinelnikoff starred in this version and also a TV series adaptation of The Lost World released around the same time.

Anyway it's one those movies that calls a dinosaur a Tyrannosaurus Rex despite the model being used was clearly designed with long arms and three claws.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

On a little Bond kick, just watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service which was actually kind of awesome. Lazenby was a damn fine Bond, and his way if fighting reminded me very much of Daniel Craig's. I also think Telly Savalas is my favorite take on Blofeld, Diamonds are Forever would be much much better if they had brought him back imo. Now I'm watching You Only Live Twice which is always surreal to see because of Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi.
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 am The first one was the film Malignant. I found it to be quite a creative and hilarious horror movie just like the film it's modeled after Basket Case.
Honestly, Malignant tied with Evil Dies Tonight Halloween Kills with my most frustrating viewing experience this year. It was too slick to be in line with the kind of movie it was "homaging" for one. I'm all for gonzo and silly but James Wan seems to be too in love with his own filmmaking to make a genuinely entertaining self aware B-movie. The police station scene felt like a fucking MCU fight. Plus all the talk about the giallo influence basically boiled down to "waow contrasty Suspiria lighting and black glove stabby stabby."
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.