Super Mario the Movie

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Super Mario the Movie

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

No not the original live action film but a CGI adventure starring Chris Pratt and Charlie Day as the voices of Mario and Luigi respectively. Yes its actually happening.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... itter_news
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Super Mario the Movie

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think this will be good/has potential. It appears that Nintendo has a lot of involvement with the project, and as a result Illumination has more incentive not not just make a cheap cash grab.

I've already heard a lot of moaning about the cast, specifically that he's not a "voice actor", and some other stuff. People forget that he was in the Lego Movie, and that having two hours of an animated Charles Martinet voice might get a tad grating.

I hope this is not a complete stinker and I look forward to it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Christ Pratt as fucking Mario...

Jack Black as fucking Bowser...

This is gonna make the 90s film look like Citizen Kane by comparison.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Not casting Charles Martinet seems like a big mistake, but who knows, maybe Pratt will crush it.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

The biggest take away for me is that Donkey Kong will be in this... and in a role that's sizeable enough that Cranky Kong appears too. Pretty interested in what that might be.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

This movie is going to be a ride, either it’s fantastic or disaster

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I groaned when I heard about this. It wasn't a groan of disgust. It was more of a laughing groan. I'll be anticipating this.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:08 pm I think this will be good/has potential. It appears that Nintendo has a lot of involvement with the project, and as a result Illumination has more incentive not not just make a cheap cash grab.

I've already heard a lot of moaning about the cast, specifically that he's not a "voice actor", and some other stuff. People forget that he was in the Lego Movie, and that having two hours of an animated Charles Martinet voice might get a tad grating.

I hope this is not a complete stinker and I look forward to it.
I don't think people forgot he was in the Lego Movie, I think people are very aware of that - still doesn't make him a good fit as a voice actor though, I don't think he did that much of a voice as Emmet compared to his normal Chris Pratt voice. There might have been some slight change to his normal speaking voice, maybe, but nothing to write home about, and nothing to suggest he'd sound like Mario.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm This movie is going to be a ride, either it’s fantastic or disaster
It's Illumination. We already know it'll be crap.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would've Bryan Cranston made a good Bowser?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Strange to think that Bob Hoskins and Chris Pratt will have played the same character in the same medium.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spuro wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:44 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 pm This movie is going to be a ride, either it’s fantastic or disaster
It's Illumination. We already know it'll be crap.
I'd agree with you except for the fact that Nintendo is playing a very large role in the production and has oversight. Easy to forget in a post minion era, but Illumination made the first Despicable me which was decent. But if it's horrible, I hope it's an interesting kind of bad.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:43 pm Strange to think that Bob Hoskins and Chris Pratt will have played the same character in the same medium.
And yet, neither will ever best the most iconic and beloved live action Mario of all...

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
(in case anyone else is having trouble getting it to play on this site - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6uqCj ... =emb_title)

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:43 pm Strange to think that Bob Hoskins and Chris Pratt will have played the same character in the same medium.
Plus the Japanese voice actor for Dragon Ball's Yamcha, if we count the 1986 anime SMB movie.
Friends don't lie.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Arbok wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:02 pm The biggest take away for me is that Donkey Kong will be in this... and in a role that's sizeable enough that Cranky Kong appears too. Pretty interested in what that might be.
I'm gonna guess the plot right now, based just on the cast list and how formulaic Illumination is.

Mario and Luigi live in a normal human city. Mario is always looking for something more and wants to do something great after his father Mario Sr. (played by Charles Martinet) stopped Donkey Kong forever ago but he's left as a lowly construction worker.

Something, something, they end up in the Mushroom Kingdom and go to fight Bowser. The Toads think Mario is a great hero, Bowser reveals he isn't and get his ass handed to him.

He's depressed and ends up in a jungle with Donkey and Cranky. Something happens to inspire him, he goes to fight back against Bowser, Peach lands the final blow because #corporateapprovedgirlbossmoment, big dance party ending, cue end credit scene setting up Wario played by Lil Nas X or something
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:38 pm cue end credit scene setting up Wario played by Lil Nas X or something
Wrong. Wario will be played by Randy Quaid and you know it!
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsJason wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm Wrong. Wario will be played by Randy Quaid and you know it!
I would've said Danny DeVito. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would've made more sense to save DK for part 2.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:28 pm
GodzillavsJason wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm Wrong. Wario will be played by Randy Quaid and you know it!
You’re both wrong, they’ve actually already casted Elon Musk. The SNL skit was a teaser and we didn’t even know it!
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:28 pm
You know, Bob Hoskins' Mario vs Danny DeVito's Wario is the 90s movie I never knew I wanted until now. Damn, shame it's too late...