The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

UltramanGoji wrote:We only heard you the first twenty skreeonking times you've regurgitated the joke. Enough already.
Alright. :oops:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

With the new trilogy being set away from the Skywalkers I hope that this is the old republic. I also wouldn't mind a new group of characters in between episode 6 and 7.

I hope the TV show is about Boba and Jabba and t hey give it the tone that the netflix marvel shows have.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I really don't want to see a new trilogy revisiting Star Wars history, I want to see it expanding into new spaces and forging ahead with a new era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:I really don't want to see a new trilogy revisiting Star Wars history, I want to see it expanding into new spaces and forging ahead with a new era.
Disney got rid of the old canon. There's nothing but new spaces to explore. I highly doubt they'd make a new trilogy following up the current one they're making.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:
eabaker wrote:I really don't want to see a new trilogy revisiting Star Wars history, I want to see it expanding into new spaces and forging ahead with a new era.
Disney got rid of the old canon. There's nothing but new spaces to explore. I highly doubt they'd make a new trilogy following up the current one they're making.
A.) Who cares what's canon or not? It's an era that a ton has been written about, and even if new stuff is being written about it, it's still a subject that's been done and done and done.

B.) My concern isn't about that anyway, it's about the dramatic limitations of focusing on backstory/history.

C.) I'm not suggesting that it should follow directly from the current trilogy - the article makes it pretty clear that's not the intent anyway - but rather that it should move away from all of this Jedi/Sith business entirely.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:A.) Who cares what's canon or not? It's an era that a ton has been written about, and even if new stuff is being written about it, it's still a subject that's been done and done and done.
*raises hand, then clenches it into a fist thinking about how badly Star Wars has been degraded from its former glory by the Disney deal*

But I will agree; I'd rather not see old eras retreaded- in my cases, it's because the new take is invariably inferior and every blatant overwrite rubs a load of glitterstim spice in the wound... but I'd definitely rather see anything moving forward step away from doing a Mexican hat-dance on the things I loved growing up and onward into new, unexplored time-periods where the lack of resemblance can create a separate-enough entity that I can enjoy it more in parallel without being reminded of what it was replacing.
eabaker wrote:B.) My concern isn't about that anyway, it's about the dramatic limitations of focusing on backstory/history.
Oh gosh, yes. Four season in, and Rebels- much as I love it- is still whoring itself out to The Clone Wars, bringing in 'whatever happened to's from the old series that already got six dang seasons of its own, even on Rebels' own fourth and last year... and invariably, those episodes are always the weak points, trading in the ongoing development of characters and storylines for narrative cul-de-savs and dead ends.

Not to mention the disasters inherent in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, Trek's Enterprise and Discovery, Ridley Scott's current work in the Alien franchise... tracing the random arcs of characters toward a fated, immutable endpoint, through events that are either incredibly dull because they can't impact anything, or so impactful that it's implausible they were never mentioned in the later works and implausible that they somehow resulted in the universe we've come to know, is just inherently... problematic. The sense of nagging doom and futility work against any sense of investment (because we all know where its going), issues of continuity and adherence cause problems either for the creators, the fans that pay attention to such things, or both, and the mystery guessing-game of how things will slot in distracts from real drama or involvement; it is a cold, distant entity being watched at a remove... viewed like a museum piece, from an emotional distance, actively discouraging attachment or suspense due to the inevitable finality of the known ending place. And any new characters run the same struggle as the events above- either we know their fates, or they're destined for obscurity and unimportance, or they become important in implausible ways considering their absence in the later universe.

Which isn't to say that a good story, interesting events, or compelling characters can't be crafted under such conditions, in the same way that it's not impossible to build a stable lean-to in the middle of a hurricane. But it's sure a heck of a lot easier when you're not trying to do it with a dozen things working against you. :)
eabaker wrote:C.) I'm not suggesting that it should follow directly from the current trilogy - the article makes it pretty clear that's not the intent anyway - but rather that it should move away from all of this Jedi/Sith business entirely.
Seriously! Smugglers! Bounty hunters! It's the same thing I run into with RPGs and animated series and other Star Wars spin-offs that always want to have a Jedi character, even in a time period where there are supposed to be none left. Just... take away the energy swords and the mystical trappings, and you still have an awesome sci-fi universe of blaster fights and jetpack men and starships that can cross the galaxy in a few days, alien worlds and (formerly) well-fleshed out alien species (seriously, stop just making new ones; create too many, and they lose their uniquess in an overwhelming sea of options) crime lords and political intrigues and ancient artifacts and rogues and gamblers and derring-do, swashbuckling adventure...

I know everyone loves the Jedi (and ironically, I think there's room for the Jedi done right- loner warrior-monks, like sci-fi ronin, traveling the galaxy to set things right and capable of pretty much anything in one-off feats and amazing, climactic accomplishments, so long as they're able to meditate and overcome their own mental limitations against doing so... rather than the post-1999, cut-rate superheroes who have approximately 5 pre-categorized, always-active powers (telekenesis, enhanced speed, high jumping, lightning bolts, occasional telepathy/precognition) at ranked power-levels, removing the mystic and substituting it with unimaginitive, cookie-cutter, standard-issue special abilities used mostly for specialized sword-fights and nothing else; to put it in comic books terms, Jedi should be more like the Staff of One from Marvels' Runaways, and instead they've become like the the onslaught of Superman-clones from the 90s; a series of generic and uninteresting characters who all have the exact same set of base-powers at varying levels, and basically just go through the exact same storylines and motions over and over and over)...

...But for as popular as they are, remove the Jedi and you've still got an awesome, expansive, imaginative setting full of battles between good and evil and tons of under-explored aspects in a broadly-developed and expansive fictional setting.

Whereas chosen ones, lightsaber duels between Jedi and Sith, Jedi purges, and all the other Jedi/Sith tropes, a tiny fraction of the actual fictional setting, have been made and remade a hundred times over.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I'm a little disappointed about this new trilogy. They should wait another ten years, Star Wars trilogies should be an event. But hey, $$$$$ right? I just hope it's something entirely new. I would love to see an Old Republic trilogy I think. I heard a rumour that Snoke is going to be revealed as like this ancient Sith who was frozen, and that will serve as like a backdoor to an OR trilogy. That would be cool. But again, I really wish they would just wait.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I'm a little disappointed about this new trilogy. They should wait another ten years, Star Wars trilogies should be an event. But hey, $$$$$ right? I just hope it's something entirely new. I would love to see an Old Republic trilogy I think. I heard a rumour that Snoke is going to be revealed as like this ancient Sith who was frozen, and that will serve as like a backdoor to an OR trilogy. That would be cool. But again, I really wish they would just wait.
I disagree. They should wait at least 10 years for episode trilogies.

A spin off trilogy is fine to happen by 2020 or 2021.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Original Last Jedi cut was 3 hours long. Says the scenes will be included in the home video release but will not do a director's cut. Rian Johnson feels the version releasing in theaters is in fact the superior version despite having had to remove some of his favorite scenes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ria ... 17772.html
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would it be interesting if there was a TV series chronicling the events of the Mandalorian Conflict?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:Would it be interesting if there was a TV series chronicling the events of the Mandalorian Conflict?
If they made it interesting and worth watching, sure

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LegendZilla wrote:Would it be interesting if there was a TV series chronicling the events of the Mandalorian Conflict?
Sadly, no, because by nature it would feature Mandalorians- precluding it automatically from being interesting. ;)

(That may just be be me... I'll bet there are plenty of Mando'ae out there, even post-Traviss)
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-reviews/

The first reactions are very positive , the highlight of the movie is Luke

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I just read serious spoilers about The Last Jedi, if they are indeed true i don't know where the HELL the positive reviews are coming from because this film is sounding terrible...

Let's just say all the potential characters are wasted/die again, and some of the dumbest things since the prequels happens. Multiple sources have confirmed these things. Very very disappointed with what i'm hearing...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Meh, have to disagree. I've read all the spoilers I can find and at first I was a bit taken aback, but I'm VERY interested to see how they pull things off. Change
Spoiler:
or character death
isn't some massive taboo to be avoided in a franchise, in my personal opinion. Felt the same way when I heard Force Awakens spoilers. I'm all aboard what I've been reading.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

So saw the film and liked it a lot, without spoiling it its much original that 7. Liked all the new characters except one which i felt was totally wasted. Mark Hamill was great as was Carrie Fisher.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Everything else about the movie is irrelevant. All I need to know is how much time the Porgs get.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Birdman wrote:Everything else about the movie is irrelevant. All I need to know is how much time the Porgs get.
Porg is love , Porg is life.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Birdman wrote:Everything else about the movie is irrelevant. All I need to know is how much time the Porgs get.
Enough to make kids want them for Xmas

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I think the Porgs at this point are gonna become the new Minions. Ugh...