What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Executive Hamster »

Also, the bible is a 2000 year old book written by people who had no fucking idea how the world worked. They believed in dragons and shit. JUST MAYBE that has no place in modern society

Also also, burden of proof is on christians. You cannot really disprove anything exists. Its not about that. Its about proving that it DOES exist
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Let's simmer down here a tad, folks.

The problem/instigator here has been dealt with.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 pm Also, the bible is a 2000 year old book written by people who had no fucking idea how the world worked. They believed in dragons and shit. JUST MAYBE that has no place in modern society

Also also, burden of proof is on christians. You cannot really disprove anything exists. Its not about that. Its about proving that it DOES exist
And yet the ancient Greeks and other near-eastern civilisations had pretty damn good ideas about how the world works. Y’know… mathematics? The very nature of God Himself is neither provable or disprovable. And you kinda can disprove that stuff exists. You can disprove the notion of Unicorns in the bible… Rhinoceroses exist.

Not everything in the bible is to be taken literally either. The whole story of Job is a good example of this.

Added in 29 seconds:
Alright, fair call. I’ll back off now.
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I don't mind having a genuine discussion of these things, I really don't. Im definitely a little angry, as a Satanist I take issue with religious dogma being imposed on people. I shouldn't lash out against Christians, thats not what I believe in, but like I said, Im angry. The ancients got somethings right, and they got some things wrong. The problem is that because of how old it is you cannot really verify sources for the information in the Bible. Not to mention some things seem to contradict with our modern understanding of science, such as evolution of course. Ill leave it at that for now. Im sorry for being aggressive about it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well… to change the mood of the thread, I’ll bring it back to something that actually ruined my day.

I hit my head on a bench while leaning back on my couch too far.

Added in 6 minutes 21 seconds:
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:07 pm I don't mind having a genuine discussion of these things, I really don't. Im definitely a little angry, as a Satanist I take issue with religious dogma being imposed on people. I shouldn't lash out against Christians, thats not what I believe in, but like I said, Im angry. The ancients got somethings right, and they got some things wrong. The problem is that because of how old it is you cannot really verify sources for the information in the Bible. Not to mention some things seem to contradict with our modern understanding of science, such as evolution of course. Ill leave it at that for now. Im sorry for being aggressive about it.
No no, it is fine. Debating is fun, as long as it doesn’t turn to shit flinging. Although, I must say again, the Bible’s Hexahemeron is not to be taken literally. And surprisingly, it correlates somewhat with our current scientific understanding, with the planet being formed far before life, life originating in the sea, moving to land, and with man coming last.

It’s vague, I know, but it’s what I believe in. Science and the Bible can definitely co exist.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Extreme Warhawk wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:00 pmOnly the left can cry about not being allowed to murder the unborn. I will always vote Republican. They vote in the interest of my people and culture as well.
Weren't you one of the guys who got mad that a police officer was punished for strangling a black person to death in broad daylight?

I guess "pro-life" comes conditional with a giant swollen asterisk.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Because I no longer reside in the United States, it's taken me a bit longer to process all this. Ordinarily, I really don't like comparing Japan and the United States, but this was the type of thing that made me do it. A week or two ago, my wife and I started discussing possibly moving back to the United States in a few years, with our young daughter. I still want to say a lot of good things about the country, and there's certainly a lot that makes America special and a great country, but it's shit like this that just destroys any idea or interest in moving back. I wasn't even initially considering just moving back to NY, but also going someplace like Texas for a few years, just to get a different feel of things. This changes that completely.

While again, Japan has a lot of faults, I'm not questioning if my daughter will be A) Shot at School B)If she ever has an unwanted pregnancy or something bad happens, then well, this'll all make it worse. Of course she's only a few months old now, but I suppose becoming a parent, and then seeing news like this, really has to make me think about deep issues like this.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but it goes without saying this is incredibly hypocritical. The same people treating abortion as murder, are the one's that don't want to improve social welfare, are fine with capital punishment, and other things that aren't considered "pro-life". The same people that reject healthcare reform, and send "thoughts and prayers" when actual, living and aware kids, are shot up in schools. I'm not really sure if the Right/Evangelicals really discuss this, but a lot of this will make a lot of rape victims extra fucked. Having restrictive abortion laws doesn't help or stop any of the issues. It just makes everything infinitely more painful. I'd be slightly more empathetic to people who believe abortion is murder, if these were the types preaching about using condoms, contraceptives, and safe-sex. They never are.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

As a woman, I have to live with the constant fear of possibly being raped and impregnated against my will - I can't imagine being forced to go through that pregnancy on top of it, especially if it endangers my life. Which it will, if not physically, then mentally, as I already struggle with suicidal thoughts every single day and there's absolutely no way living the rest of my life with such trauma and forced responsibility that I couldn't possibly handle would make it any better. I simply do not have the capacity to care for a child. Having one isn't going to magically awaken some motherly instincts like we're in the middle of a Disney movie. And adoption doesn't change the fact that I don't have particularly good genes and the child is probably going to suffer from at least some of the issues I struggle with. That's assuming we even both survive the pregnancy itself. I think it's just better to spare everyone this much pain.

Your religion isn't my religion. Don't impose it on me.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Beast Blood wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 am Your religion isn't my religion. Don't impose it on me.
A concept that's unfortunately lost on people who view their religious convictions as universal fact.

And thank you for sharing your perspective.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just for the sake of some variety in the discussion, I'll point out that if you're sincerely religious, of course you treat your beliefs as universal fact. If (for example) Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, then that's that. He didn't add any 'buts' or 'ifs' in there, it's point blank and applies equally to everyone. Christians have a moral obligation to spread the Word and do what the Bible demands. Which is not necessarily what the Conservative politicians we're talking about are actually doing, but that's not my point.

Regarding abortion, it absolutely is murder. Of course it is. If the lump of cells isn't a baby yet, it will become one in most cases. You're killing that baby or future baby. It's murder. I'm still pro-choice and agree that it's the lesser evil in a lot of cases, but at least have the spine to call it what it is.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ok let’s change the subject this is getting tiring

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Religion doesn't have as much to do with this as people want. It's the same group of people that have controls this country since the beginning. They controlled the native Americans, they controlled slaves and now they want to control any minority group as much as possible.

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:39 am Just for the sake of some variety in the discussion, I'll point out that if you're sincerely religious, of course you treat your beliefs as universal fact. If (for example) Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, then that's that. He didn't add any 'buts' or 'ifs' in there, it's point blank and applies equally to everyone. Christians have a moral obligation to spread the Word and do what the Bible demands. Which is not necessarily what the Conservative politicians we're talking about are actually doing, but that's not my point.

Regarding abortion, it absolutely is murder. Of course it is. If the lump of cells isn't a baby yet, it will become one in most cases. You're killing that baby or future baby. It's murder. I'm still pro-choice and agree that it's the lesser evil in a lot of cases, but at least have the spine to call it what it is.
It might be ending a life or even killings but it is not murder.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:39 am Just for the sake of some variety in the discussion, I'll point out that if you're sincerely religious, of course you treat your beliefs as universal fact. If (for example) Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, then that's that. He didn't add any 'buts' or 'ifs' in there, it's point blank and applies equally to everyone. Christians have a moral obligation to spread the Word and do what the Bible demands. Which is not necessarily what the Conservative politicians we're talking about are actually doing, but that's not my point.

By that logic, jerking off or having a period is murder, since the sperm/ova can potentially become a human being.

Is miscarriage tantamount to murder/manslaughter as well?
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:46 am Ok let’s change the subject this is getting tiring
What about it is tiring?

This whole thing is a complete travesty, it takes woman's rights and the entire country back DECADES and its only the first thing that SCOTUS and the GOP are going to target. So many people of every race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation (except rich, straight, old, white males) are going to be completely fucked. Just a few posts above Beast Blood went into detail about how horrifying this is for her. Women all over the country are feeling the same way, scared, helpless and terrified. This is absolutely NOT a subject we should change because it's "tiring". This is something we should continue talking about, same as (to cite just one example) the gun violence against children that's never going to stop because the GOP puts more value on assault weapons than they do on human life.

We need to shout it as loud as we can: THIS. IS. FUCKING. BULLSHIT.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:21 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:46 am Ok let’s change the subject this is getting tiring
What about it is tiring?

This whole thing is a complete travesty, it takes woman's rights and the entire country back DECADES and its only the first thing that SCOTUS and the GOP are going to target. So many people of every race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation (except rich, straight, old, white males) are going to be completely skreeonked. Just a few posts above Beast Blood went into detail about how horrifying this is for her. Women all over the country are feeling the same way, scared, helpless and terrified. This is absolutely NOT a subject we should change because it's "tiring". This is something we should continue talking about, same as (to cite just one example) the gun violence against children that's never going to stop because the GOP puts more value on assault weapons than they do on human life.

We need to shout it as loud as we can: THIS. IS. skreeonking. BULLSHIT.
I don’t want to talk about a subject matter that is very sensitive to people and rightfully so, especially now. I apologize for saying that this is tiring I shouldn’t have said that in that case I’m sorry.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wonder how anti abortion men would feel if they were told they could only ejaculate if they were with a woman they were trying to get pregnant. Because as Spirit Ghidorah mentioned if abortion is wrong because it's killing babies then the male equivalent would be jerking off, or any sexual act without intent to get pregnant. Thus these politicians couldn't have mistresses and affairs they love to have.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I don't really want to be an American anymore. I'm ashamed, sad and angry. The tax taken out of my earnings supports these kinds of people in their quest to strip people of their rights. But like at the same time I don't really wanna live anywhere else, you know? I'm just feeling an insane crisis of conscience I don't know what to do about.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:19 am By that logic, jerking off or having a period is murder, since the sperm/ova can potentially become a human being.

Is miscarriage tantamount to murder/manslaughter as well?
Well, jerking off would be. It's an uncomfortable truth neither of us wants to deal with, but all the same. The world is a sick, dark, twisted place that doesn't give a damn about human morality.

A period or miscarriage are involuntary, so not really murder, exactly. Potential lives are still ending, though.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

So if I was having safe sex with someone, I would be committing murder?
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Like I said, it's all really uncomfortable, isn't it? I'm not saying you should go to jail for it, I'm just saying acknowledge the reality whether it suits you or not. :P