Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Official News topic

Post by miguelnuva »

Breakdown wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:14 am
goji89 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 am MGM was dying no one was buying so Amazon saved it from chuteless skydiving.
No question, but it's still sad to see it happen. I've hated seeing what's happened to Marvel and Star Wars/Lucasfilm since Disney gobbled them up. Sure, the Marvel movies are ok but the comics side has suffered a lot, and there's no point in rehashing everything wrong with Disney Star Wars. Maybe the Bond series will thrive under Amazon but unlike Disney their reach extends from entertainment to food, shopping, and soon healthcare if they get their way. It sucks that these things that used to be revolutions of cinema have to become another arm of a giant corporation to survive.
To be fair, Disney Star Wars has jumped in quality with Clone Wars season 8, The Bad Batch and The Mandolorian. The SW comics are also really good, especially the Vader ones. The films on the other hand....yeah, not so great. Rogue One was arguably the best of the bunch and it's still a bit of a chore to get through. However now that Dave Filoni is creative director, i have high hopes for the future.
And the Marvel comics not selling has little to due with Disney buying them. People just don't read comics as much anymore.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

What’s next? Apple buys Universal Studios?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

KK42 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 pm What’s next? Apple buys Universal Studios?
God, please no.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Amazon to buy MGM Studios for $8.45 billion
MGM will make Amazon’s TV and film library even more robust. The Hollywood studio owns the James Bond catalog and has made several hit shows including “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Fargo.” It also owns premium cable network Epix and owns several popular reality TV shows, including “Shark Tank,” “Survivor” and “The Real Housewives.”
James Bond Franchise Will Get ‘Worldwide Theatrical Release,’ Say Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson (EXCLUSIVE)
Under a deal first hammered out by Albert “Cubby” Broccoli, MGM has the right to finance and distribute all of the Bond movies, and the studio splits the profits with Eon. However, Broccoli’s heirs and Eon’s chiefs, Barbara Broccoli and her half-brother Michael G. Wilson, still have final say on everything from the film’s marketing and distribution plans to Craig’s successor. Together, they have unprecedented creative control over the franchise.
The 50 Best Dystopian Movies of All Time

Just Six Corporations Remain (The Onion)

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:39 am
Breakdown wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:14 am

No question, but it's still sad to see it happen. I've hated seeing what's happened to Marvel and Star Wars/Lucasfilm since Disney gobbled them up. Sure, the Marvel movies are ok but the comics side has suffered a lot, and there's no point in rehashing everything wrong with Disney Star Wars. Maybe the Bond series will thrive under Amazon but unlike Disney their reach extends from entertainment to food, shopping, and soon healthcare if they get their way. It sucks that these things that used to be revolutions of cinema have to become another arm of a giant corporation to survive.
To be fair, Disney Star Wars has jumped in quality with Clone Wars season 8, The Bad Batch and The Mandolorian. The SW comics are also really good, especially the Vader ones. The films on the other hand....yeah, not so great. Rogue One was arguably the best of the bunch and it's still a bit of a chore to get through. However now that Dave Filoni is creative director, i have high hopes for the future.
And the Marvel comics not selling has little to due with Disney buying them. People just don't read comics as much anymore.
I feel like I can’t buy comics because I would want to buy the entire series and end up spending tons of money. Aside from that super heroes don’t do it for me. But even collecting manga can get expensive.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/28/10005372 ... ZezcwX-m1E

Oh, boy, legislators are restricting our children's educations because of issues they themselves don't understand!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:14 am https://www.npr.org/2021/05/28/10005372 ... ZezcwX-m1E

Oh, boy, legislators are restricting our children's educations because of issues they themselves don't understand!
Remember when they were pearl-clutching over Confederate statues getting removed because it'll "erase our history"?
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

If you regard BLM and Pride flags as "hate America flags," then you envision America as a a bigoted country. Period. Just fucking own it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 am
If you regard BLM and Pride flags as "hate America flags," then you envision America as a a bigoted country. Period. Just fucking own it.
I guess they think the rainbow flag is a symbol of hate towards Christians? Wasn’t that what our old friend G2000 claimed about Pride marches?
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I personally wouldn't want to see rainbow flags nor BLM flags flown in our embassies because the U.S flag does that already as it blankets everyone under it whether you believe it or not, it blankets and covers ever race, every gender, everything. Flying rainbow flags and BLM flags separately means those don't consider themselves Anericans but rather a seperate group further adding division. I understand wanting to show how America stands with the causes but the American flag does that already.

With that being said, to think that the BLM and Rainbow flag being flown is "Hating America" then that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard and is just throwing more gas into the fire. Taylor Greene is a fucking idiot that just gives true conservatives a bad name because she isn't a true conservative she's just a racist bigoted fool that I wish would just resign never to be heard from again.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am I personally wouldn't want to see rainbow flags nor BLM flags flown in our embassies because the U.S flag does that already as it blankets everyone under it whether you believe it or not, it blankets and covers ever race, every gender, everything.
Yeah... tell that to victims of the American slave trade. Or to people placed in WW2 Japanese internment camps. Or to the indigenous people who had their land stolen from them and their people massacred. Or to modern day trans people, if those examples are too far in the past for you.

Very inclusive flag.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 amFlying rainbow flags and BLM flags separately means those don't consider themselves Anericans but rather a seperate group further adding division.
Flying rainbow flags is an expression of support for marginalized people and nothing more. That’s literally all there is to it.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

If a Pride/BLM flag entails being a "separate group" from America , then what do Thin Blue Line and Confederate flags entail?
He/him/his

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am
goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am I personally wouldn't want to see rainbow flags nor BLM flags flown in our embassies because the U.S flag does that already as it blankets everyone under it whether you believe it or not, it blankets and covers ever race, every gender, everything.
Yeah... tell that to victims of the American slave trade. Or to people placed in WW2 Japanese internment camps. Or to the indigenous people who had their land stolen from them and their people massacred. Or to modern day trans people, if those examples are too far in the past for you.

Very inclusive flag.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 amFlying rainbow flags and BLM flags separately means those don't consider themselves Anericans but rather a seperate group further adding division.
Flying rainbow flags is an expression of support for marginalized people and nothing more. That’s literally all there is to it.
Way to cherry pick from the post. Did America do horrific things to get to where it is yes, every single country has. To say that it doesnt encompass the other things it has done is pretty dumb. What of the people that are fighting for equality that are Americans, soldiers that give their lives for America for everyone. The flag represents ALL aspects of America from the good to the bad. You're post comes off as hating America itself for it's past rather than embrace it for trying to change and it's future.

And I know why they want to fly it I think the American flag does that already without having seperate ones.

Way to think it isn't inclusive thinking everyone under it is bigoted or racist.

Added in 45 seconds:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm If a Pride/BLM flag entails being a "separate group" from America , then what do Thin Blue Line and Confederate flags entail?
I don't want those flown either. Especially the confederate flag.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am I personally wouldn't want to see rainbow flags nor BLM flags flown in our embassies because the U.S flag does that already as it blankets everyone under it whether you believe it or not, it blankets and covers ever race, every gender, everything. Flying rainbow flags and BLM flags separately means those don't consider themselves Anericans but rather a seperate group further adding division. I understand wanting to show how America stands with the causes but the American flag does that already.

With that being said, to think that the BLM and Rainbow flag being flown is "Hating America" then that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard and is just throwing more gas into the fire. Taylor Greene is a fucking idiot that just gives true conservatives a bad name because she isn't a true conservative she's just a racist bigoted fool that I wish would just resign never to be heard from again.
The way I see it, there are at least two equally valid - and common - ways of looking at the American flag. Either:

A.) It represents the ideology in which "America," as a concept, is rooted. In other words, it represents the best of America's possibilities, regardless of whether or not the government and citizens as a whole is living up to them. This, of course, is highly abstract, and no two people are likely to agree on precisely what those represented values are/should be. In some cases, those ideals can be applied in diametrically opposed ways. In that case, it is inclusive of all groups when it is placed by someone who believes that America should be inclusive of all groups; and it is bigoted against some groups by people who want American policy to enforce their own bigotry.

B.) It represents the current state of American government and policy, for good or ill.

In neither case is it inherently, universally fully inclusive of those groups; and it is certainly not specific in representing the protection of those groups. I think we should recognize that, to a lot of people, that flag represents the worst things about America every bit as much as it represents the best things.

And I don't see how flying a flag other than the American flag signifies that people thinks of themselves as separate from Americans. By that logic, anyone who flies a state flag considers themselves, say, a Virignian or a Kentuckian or a New Yorker not in addition to, but rather instead of an American. It's entirely possible to be both in those cases, right?

What if we think of those additional flags as amendments? Can you see a perspective from which flying those flags alongside the American flag could be taken as a continuation and expansion of the original thought? A clarification?

Regardless, we certainly agree about MTG and her moronic, flame-baiting comments. People like her are a huge part of why productive conversation between opposing viewpoints is such a rarity.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:29 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am I personally wouldn't want to see rainbow flags nor BLM flags flown in our embassies because the U.S flag does that already as it blankets everyone under it whether you believe it or not, it blankets and covers ever race, every gender, everything. Flying rainbow flags and BLM flags separately means those don't consider themselves Anericans but rather a seperate group further adding division. I understand wanting to show how America stands with the causes but the American flag does that already.

With that being said, to think that the BLM and Rainbow flag being flown is "Hating America" then that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard and is just throwing more gas into the fire. Taylor Greene is a skreeonking idiot that just gives true conservatives a bad name because she isn't a true conservative she's just a racist bigoted fool that I wish would just resign never to be heard from again.
The way I see it, there are at least two equally valid - and common - ways of looking at the American flag. Either:

A.) It represents the ideology in which "America," as a concept, is rooted. In other words, it represents the best of America's possibilities, regardless of whether or not the government and citizens as a whole is living up to them. This, of course, is highly abstract, and no two people are likely to agree on precisely what those represented values are/should be. In some cases, those ideals can be applied in diametrically opposed ways. In that case, it is inclusive of all groups when it is placed by someone who believes that America should be inclusive of all groups; and it is bigoted against some groups by people who want American policy to enforce their own bigotry.

B.) It represents the current state of American government and policy, for good or ill.

In neither case is it inherently, universally fully inclusive of those groups; and it is certainly not specific in representing the protection of those groups. I think we should recognize that, to a lot of people, that flag represents the worst things about America every bit as much as it represents the best things.

And I don't see how flying a flag other than the American flag signifies that people thinks of themselves as separate from Americans. By that logic, anyone who flies a state flag considers themselves, say, a Virignian or a Kentuckian or a New Yorker not in addition to, but rather instead of an American. It's entirely possible to be both in those cases, right?

What if we think of those additional flags as amendments? Can you see a perspective from which flying those flags alongside the American flag could be taken as a continuation and expansion of the original thought? A clarification?

Regardless, we certainly agree about MTG and her moronic, flame-baiting comments. People like her are a huge part of why productive conversation between opposing viewpoints is such a rarity.
Very astute with your reply and I'm gonna have to agree really. We can find both the good and bad so I got nothing add to this.
And yes MTG can fuck off.

Somebody mark this in the TK calender an agreement CAN be made from across the isle.

Strippers and beer for everyone or just cake.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm Somebody mark this in the TK calender an agreement CAN be made from across the isle.

I'll have a piece of avocado toast and a glass of kombucha, like the filthy liberal that I am.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm Somebody mark this in the TK calender an agreement CAN be made from across the isle.

I'll have a piece of avocado toast and a glass of kombucha, like the filthy liberal that I am.
Oh, you a naughty one.

:lol:

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:07 am
eabaker wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:14 am https://www.npr.org/2021/05/28/10005372 ... ZezcwX-m1E

Remember when they were pearl-clutching over Confederate statues getting removed because it'll "erase our history"?
And what's funny is, they like to pretend that the same people that tried to take their healthcare away (!) actually legitimately care about history despite the fact that they rewrote the damn history books in Texas, particularly the parts that inconvenienced them like the Jim Crow laws.

You know? Just like they want to give Trump all the credit for the Covid vaccine after calling Covid a hoax and the vaccine a scam and refusing to wear masks.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"