Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Official News topic

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Bruh I'm tripping that they're relaxing mask rules here in Michigan at Target! No way in hell would I want to be hosting the Olympics.
I get that the virus is getting wrangled (as Kevin Costner would surely put it) but I feel like every time we make a little headway we start getting too excited.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

There's so many reasons not to want the Olympics lol. I'm not sure if the Japanese people really wanted this before the pandemic.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:14 pm There's so many reasons not to want the Olympics lol. I'm not sure if the Japanese people really wanted this before the pandemic.
I remember it being joked about that CoD tournaments would be at the Olympics ever since they made their way to the X-Games. :lol:

Which I'm still mind-fucked to this day that it actually happened. The snowboarding/skateboarding/BMX stuff is seriously devalued when having to share a space with fucking CoD players.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat May 15, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I mean, I'm not even going to weigh in on te subject. I've competed in national athletic completions. I have nothing but diadain for supposed esports. I wish I could discuss this rationaly with people but supposed athletes get very offended when discussing the subject

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 pm I have nothing but diadain for supposed esports.
Why? It's not a subject I know a ton about, but it doesn't seem like anything worth hating. We pay to watch people who are good at it play baseball. What's the difference with video games?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:46 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:34 pm I have nothing but diadain for supposed esports.
Why? It's not a subject I know a ton about, but it doesn't seem like anything worth hating. We pay to watch people who are good at it play baseball. What's the difference with video games?
I really don;t care until participants start referring to themselves as athletes. Even then, I suppose I don't really care. But I will never consider esports participants as athletes.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:50 pm
I really don;t care until participants start referring to themselves as athletes. Even then, I suppose I don't really care. But I will never consider esports participants as athletes.
Hell yeah. How is playing video games in any sense athletic? Strategic yes but to go far as to say "I'm an athlete on a video game" is crazy. I'm with you on this one. I don't pay anyone just to watch them play video games.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, okay, I can agree with that. They certainly put in training and effort to get as good as they are, but it's pretty much all mental. There's nothing athletic about it in the traditional sense.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:54 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Hell yeah. How is playing video games in any sense athletic? Strategic yes but to go far as to say "I'm an athlete on a video game" is crazy. I'm with you on this one. I don't pay anyone just to watch them play video games.
Its completely insane to me. Video games are cool and I recognize the skill and everything. But im not paying to watch. You're not Simone biles lol. Idk.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sports is a competition where people compete againts one another.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Playing video games is both mental and physical, no where near as much as basketball, football or baseball ect but I can see why some would pay or like esports as much as any other sport.

They have to train like other athletes just their skill is different.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Lol I guess. Have you ever been an athlete at a high level? I think its an entirely different level of commitment. Also sure I think if I played COD 16 hours a day I could get pretty good at it. It's completely impossible for me to do what Simone Biles does, however.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 am Lol I guess. Have you ever been an athlete at a high level? I think its an entirely different level of commitment. Also sure I think if I played COD 16 hours a day I could get pretty good at it. It's completely impossible for me to do what Simone Biles does, however.
I tore my ACL in High School and eneded my football career.

Personally I like watching high level chess matches and I would consider those players athletes as well. The physcial athletes are what we all consider an athlete to be but I just had to think on it.

Isn't trainning one's mind and mastering the craft similar enough to what a professional sport player has to go through.

Leborn James has to eat, drink and sleep Basketball and he has to keep his mind and body in tip tip shape.

An esports player while they don't have to have anywhere near as much on the physical side does need to the mental trainning and the dedication as well.

My brother spent hours learning one moveset in tekken for example and he is not an esport guy and couldn't hold a candle to a player so I only imagine how long it would take for them to learn a game.

I do know however that your fingers and reaction speed also play a part so a fat gamer might not be as good as an in shape gamer.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There is some level of natural talent involved in being good at video games, too. One of my brothers, I couldn't even process half the shit he used to do in Fortnite. My mind just does not work that quickly, let alone my clumsy hands in conjunction with my mind. And he'd be playing with a terrible broken controller I could barely function at all with, on top of it. I don't think I could do that even if I did train for hours every day.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Give me a break with gamers being athletes....

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am Give me a break with gamers being athletes....
And where is the huge divide? The physical aspect?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 am Give me a break with gamers being athletes....
Yeah, I agree.

I think various levels of competitive gaming are intensive and take a lot of time and energy, I don't deny that, but I never see an equation between gaming and serious sportsman ship. I say this as a person who actually has little interest in sports, and loves video games. I work with high school students who addition to their regular studying are up early training in the morning, and for hours after-school everyday. They're much more careful about what they eat and are super mentally disciplined. On top of that, for athletes there's always a big risk of bad injuries. Whether we can also argue the specific cultural merits of sports, there is also more consistency on a specific sport, either worldwide or national. For example, American Football is well established with people training for years and years and a cultural surrounding it. Same thing for Football (Soccer) and Baseball. That's before you get into specific cultural sports (sumo) or specific feats on human endurance/accomplishments (like sprinting). Someone may be good at Smash, COD or whatever, but those things are very temporary, still relegated to a relatively niche audience, and a lot of technical exploits and rules that can very easily change.

To be clear, gaming and gaming competitions are fun, and there's certainly a lot of skill involved, I just don't see it as the same. I think that's the issue though. A lot of people are assuming or offended that saying "gamers aren't athletes" to "gamers don't have skill/gamers aren't impressive".
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 16, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I have waited a long time for this le epic Gamer discussion, now I can finally post this!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The whole point of video games is your own experience imo so I don't see the value in watching other shmucks play for hours. I have nothing but respect for the players and their skills, I just have no interest in the culture or actually watching.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 am The whole point of video games is your own experience imo so I don't see the value in watching other shmucks play for hours. I have nothing but respect for the players and their skills, I just have no interest in the culture or actually watching.
There's some people I like and I'm curious what their opinions are on certain video games that I've already played and beaten multiple times. It's the same reason why I like hearing movie reviews and other such things. Sometimes it's also because I'm vaguely interested in said thing, but not interested in it enough to commit to the time to play it, or financial reasons. Beyond that I agree.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 am The whole point of video games is your own experience imo so I don't see the value in watching other shmucks play for hours. I have nothing but respect for the players and their skills, I just have no interest in the culture or actually watching.
I agree, though I'd say the exact same thing about physical sports, as well.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.