Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official News topic

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:53 pm
eabaker wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:52 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 pm

See above edited post.
Noted and appreciated.

Of course, I'd also appreciate if theists on the whole stopped using the word "atheist" as a noun, but I don't see that one happening any time soon. ;)
I thought Atheist was the correct, what is the correct term?
Oh, "atheist" is absolutely correct in terms of its meaning, and by social/cultural standards. I'm part of a pretty small niche that simply disapprove of there being any term at all to define/categorize us relative to theists.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It would be cool if all people could drop all terms comparing one group of people (typically unfavorably) with another, period. But it's not happening in my lifetime, unfortunately.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:00 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:07 pm I brought up Godzilla and Mothra becasue to non believers religion is fiction anyway
I am what you would call a "non-believer," I do not regard religion the same way I do fiction, and neither do any of my similarly atheistic friends with whom I've discussed the topic (and it's a topic we have to discuss a lot, living in a society that insists on defining us relative to theists). Please don't attribute single thought processes to entire swathes of the population.
Yeah, I’ve never regarded religion the way I do modern media either. At best I might compare it to mythology?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

This post on TohoKingdom is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.
https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/ ... pe-taliban
We supported those that would later be labeled "terrorists" when they decided they didn't like America traipsing over their land. The shit storm in Afghanistan right now is the end result of American greed and proxy wars. I understand that it's an enormously complex issue, but Americans have a duty to acknowledge our responsibility for this horror, and (hopefully) learn to stop supporting such senseless bloodshed with our votes and dollars, because the chickens will come home to roost for us one day.
I promise I'll get off my stupid soapbox now. I'm sorry, everybody.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm Image

This post on TohoKingdom is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.
We supported those that would later be labeled "terrorists" when they decided they didn't like America traipsing over their land. The poop storm in Afghanistan right now is the end result of American greed and proxy wars. I understand that it's an enormously complex issue, but Americans have a duty to acknowledge our responsibility for this horror, and (hopefully) learn to stop supporting such senseless bloodshed with our votes and dollars, because the chickens will come home to roost for us one day.
No need for apologies good sir.

I'll keep watching you and listening as you stand on your soapbox.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm -snip-
It's important to remember that the Taliban and pretty much all Muslim Extremist groups, are incredibly hostile to Women, LGBTQ people and pretty much anyone that doesn't agree with their dogma (Christians, Jews, Muslims that don't agree with their interpretation of Islamic scripture, secular people etc...). And yes, these same groups persisted, formulated and killed American soldiers and citizens.

I think it's possible to understand that the Taliban and these groups are bad, pretty bad even, while also understanding all these proxy wars were needless and useless.It's also understandable to get that probably people involved in these groups view the Soviets and United States as invaders and colonialists, and that their views on these issues are not directly related to Islamic terrorism, but rather "liberating" their country. I think that's clear by the fact that the Afghanistan troops pretty much surrendered so easily, many of them probably just didn't want to fight their fellow countrymen.

We don't need to dedicate a post to terrorist groups. These are not good people. Let's just hope at the very least things can settle down, and that they'll take advantage of being in charge of their country by not starting more civil wars. I hope this victory doesn't embolden them to do worse. Let the United States also hope and learn to not get involved with any of these bullshit proxy wars.

In defense of both Trump and Biden (not Bush lol), this was all a problem that has been brewing for decades, even before the war (USSR invasion) and it had to end sooner or later (shame not sooner). The fact that the Afghanistani people and government could not defend themselves after 20 years, despite receiving assistance from the United States, and given ample warning, shows that America basically founded a failed proxy state in Afghanistan that should have never existed in the first place.

Anyways, prior to this hubbub Terasawa posted a really interesting article related to human evolution and DNA. You can read more about it here:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/16/worl ... index.html
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm Americans have a duty to acknowledge our responsibility for this horror, and (hopefully) learn to stop supporting such senseless bloodshed with our votes and dollars
Both Biden AND Trump said they were going to remove American soldiers from there, I don't see how the voters are culpable in this mess.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm Image

We supported those that would later be labeled "terrorists" when they decided they didn't like America traipsing over their land. The poop storm in Afghanistan right now is the end result of American greed and proxy wars. I understand that it's an enormously complex issue, but Americans have a duty to acknowledge our responsibility for this horror, and (hopefully) learn to stop supporting such senseless bloodshed with our votes and dollars, because the chickens will come home to roost for us one day.
For those that don't know, Major Spielberg's post is a reference to a meme. You can read more about it here:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-fil ... fghanistan

That being said, please be careful with what you post and the ramifications of said post, especially about radical groups.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:22 pm For those that don't know, Major Spielberg's post is a reference to a meme. You can read more about it here:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-fil ... fghanistan

That being said, please be careful with what you post and the ramifications of said post, especially about radical groups.
Holy shit, that's a relief.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

AP: Standoff as man in pickup near Capitol claims he has a bomb

Update: Man surrenders after claiming to have bomb near US Capitol
The standoff was resolved peacefully after roughly five hours of negotiations, ending when Roseberry crawled out of the truck and was taken into police custody.
Police were still searching the vehicle Thursday afternoon and had identified some “concerning” items, like propane containers in the bed of the truck, Manger said. But it wasn’t clear whether Roseberry had any explosives in the vehicle.

“We don’t know if there are any explosives in the vehicle, it’s still an active scene,” Manger said.
Thursday’s incident marked the third time in as many weeks that federal and military law enforcement authorities had to respond to attacks or possible threats. Officials are also jittery over a planned rally in September.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Well, we went 8 months without anyone threatening to blow up the Capitol. That's better than I expected.
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:19 am Well, we went 8 months without anyone threatening to blow up the Capitol. That's better than I expected.
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Damn it..... now I can't get his damn entrance music out of my head.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/politics ... index.html

3 democrats decide to return to Texas senate and now voting rights in Texas will be restricted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/01/politics ... index.html

White supremacist/extremist\the far right may want to copy what the Taliban did and take over the United States. Apparently there is chatter that this could be a real threat. Going to be a ridiculous and unnecessary loss of life if these idiots try something this stupid.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:45 pm Speaking of Texas:

AP: Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s COVID claim denounced as racist
That article is strange. They try to debunk his vaccination claim using death stats. I’m not sure that’s an effective argument. Not saying I agree with him, just thought that was odd. I have no idea what the actual numbers are.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Texas has lost its mind. Disgusting.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:22 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Texas has lost its mind. Disgusting.
A global viral epidemic officially has more reproductive freedom in Texas than women.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Funny how they can still get one in Texas before the 6 weeks are up, but let's not mention that.