Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official News topic

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

^ It's not just SUNY, right? IIRC, CUNY, Cornell, and even Sienna are sending kids home.

Jersey is poised to do the same thing. The med school I'm associated with is already shutting down non-essential events. Thank god I'm a pediatrician. Who knows how bad the MICU is gonna be once the wave hits.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Which state? I'm in NY and all SUNY facilities are to be closed starting March 19th and switching to online for the rest of the semester.
NC, similar situation - all UNC System schools (which is most major universities in the State, including NCSU, ECU, App State, etc.) are extending their spring break until March 22 and switching to online courses after, while Duke has already suspended classes and switched to online
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:^ It's not just SUNY, right? IIRC, CUNY, Cornell, and even Sienna are sending kids home.

Jersey is poised to do the same thing. The med school I'm associated with is already shutting down non-essential events. Thank god I'm a pediatrician. Who knows how bad the MICU is gonna be once the wave hits.
According to the local news, CUNY is closing but I haven't heard about Cornell or Sienna. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that, though.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I guess no one is going to make fun of me for applying to an online masters now in the future ;)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

NBA has suspended its season indefinitely after Utah Jazz all-star tested positive for COVID-19. The Jazz were set to play the Oklahoma City Thunder in OKC tonight; the game was postponed right before it began and fans were sent home. Players for both Jazz and Thunder teams are quarantined in the OKC arena.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Well, this is a big step. Hope no one had international travel - US Suspends Travel to Europe for 30 Days
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Greyshot151 wrote:Well, this is a big step. Hope no one had international travel - US Suspends Travel to Europe for 30 Days
Can’t help but wonder when they’ll restrict travel between states.

Added in 2 minutes 23 seconds:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... mms_uSRXDs

Leaked plot of Shin Godzilla 2!

Edit, article can’t be read. Basically it’s criticizing the Japanese government for their approach and delay to the seriousness of the virus. Rather than Korea, and similar to the United States, Japan has had a tepid response.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Flatten the curve. Take the proper precautions folks. https://www.flattenthecurve.com/

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

What do you guys think of the chances of another Great Depression?

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:What do you guys think of the chances of another Great Depression?
Its honestly down to how long this thing lasts. If its gone in a month, we'll probably enter a short recession. The longer this pursues, the longer businesses are affected which means more damage. There are plenty of bubbles in the economy, and if one of them bursts, it will have a domino like affect that can affect everything.

But lets say its Mortality rate is overstated and is actually around .5% (Right now its dropping but at 3% and I should note its very low for most adults until you get to those above 60). It impacts the U.S., lets say 28% of Americans get it like the Spanish flu, which would be 103 Million People. That means the estimated losses would be 500 thousand people.

If THAT were to transpire, then yeah, depression becomes far more likely, but we should also keep in mind it could fade. Then we can all laugh in a year that we reacted like we did.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Lost amid yesterday's flood of coronavirus-related news, Iranian-backed Iraqi Shiite militant group Kata'ib Hezbollah launched another rocket attack on US and British troops, killing two Americans and one Briton.

Reminder that a similar incident kicked off the US-Iranian war scare in January
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Greyshot151 wrote:Its honestly down to how long this thing lasts. If its gone in a month, we'll probably enter a short recession. The longer this pursues, the longer businesses are affected which means more damage. There are plenty of bubbles in the economy, and if one of them bursts, it will have a domino like affect that can affect everything.

But lets say its Mortality rate is overstated and is actually around .5% (Right now its dropping but at 3% and I should note its very low for most adults until you get to those above 60). It impacts the U.S., lets say 28% of Americans get it like the Spanish flu, which would be 103 Million People. That means the estimated losses would be 500 thousand people.

If THAT were to transpire, then yeah, depression becomes far more likely, but we should also keep in mind it could fade. Then we can all laugh in a year that we reacted like we did.
Why did I have to ask. Me and my curiosity.

I don't want to become homeless. :cry:

That's what I'm more concerned about the effects on the economy of the virus then the health itself.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Greyshot151 wrote:Its honestly down to how long this thing lasts. If its gone in a month, we'll probably enter a short recession. The longer this pursues, the longer businesses are affected which means more damage. There are plenty of bubbles in the economy, and if one of them bursts, it will have a domino like affect that can affect everything.

Why did I have to ask. Me and my curiosity.

I don't want to become homeless. :cry:

That's what I'm more concerned about the effects on the economy of the virus then the health itself.
Sorry, numbers guy so I tend to go more dire then I should, but you should be fine. The U.S. does have unemployment options and thanks to the FDIC all funds in your bank are guaranteed by the government. Some jobs will actually become MORE in demand if the economy does go south and people become more isolated, like drivers for things like Postmates. So don't fear losing your job at the moment. The U.S. has come a LONG way since the Great Depression and we have tons of tools to combat a rough economy compared to then.
—Epsilon

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Greyshot151 wrote:Sorry, numbers guy so I tend to go more dire then I should, but you should be fine. The U.S. does have unemployment options and thanks to the FDIC all funds in your bank are guaranteed by the government. Some jobs will actually become MORE in demand if the economy does go south and people become more isolated, like drivers for things like Postmates. So don't fear losing your job at the moment. The U.S. has come a LONG way since the Great Depression and we have tons of tools to combat a rough economy compared to then.
Phew I feel relieved. Still rather not have another one occur for the sake of others. :(

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Greyshot151 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:What do you guys think of the chances of another Great Depression?
Its honestly down to how long this thing lasts. If its gone in a month, we'll probably enter a short recession. The longer this pursues, the longer businesses are affected which means more damage. There are plenty of bubbles in the economy, and if one of them bursts, it will have a domino like affect that can affect everything.

That being the case, millenials who are dipping their toes into investing should take the opportunity to start buying up stock while they're cheap nowadays. I literally doubled my stock portfolio in my IRA in the past week thanks to the prices dropping. It's not like the virus will be around when we're 65.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Eh, given how the fatality rate of Corona is only .2 to .4% lethal in my immediate family due to our age groups I’m not too worried. However I’m worried about my grandmother, who would have about a 4 percent chance of dying if she catches it.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So i'm sure you guys heard the recent Martial Law rumors, that the U.S. is preparing a 4 week self quarantine within the states. I'm sure there'll be a 50/50 split of belief on this one, but the conspiracy theorist/cinemahead/Govt-is-sneaky in me totally believes it's something that's possible.

Yes it could very well just be a fake mass warning, if so, than so be it. No harm no foul.

But if it's legit, which i wouldn't blame them for doing, they'd be putting us all under (basically) Martial Law, similar to Italy and Wuhan, to keep this thing from worsening any further.

Another thing, the current reports from the UC San Francisco estimate:

- 40-70% of the US will be infected over the next 12-18 months
- 1.5 million Americans may die vs. seasonal flu’s avg 50K deaths per year
- Fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu, assuming no drug is found effective/made available

Added in 9 minutes 47 seconds:
The NBA season is on hiatus

MLB is on hiatus

Disneyland closed its doors for the 4th time EVER

Some Churchs are closing for the first time since the 1800s

All colleges in NYC have been told to move to distance learning

Etc
Etc
Etc

All i'm saying is this is definitely nothing to scoff at with a "it's weaker than the flu we'll all be fine". Since the flu, and all these other viruses, have never done this before.

I'm calm and relaxed, but it's intriguing seeing all this stuff unfold by the hour.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:So i'm sure you guys heard the recent Martial Law rumors, that the U.S. is preparing a 4 week self quarantine within the states. I'm sure there'll be a 50/50 split of belief on this one, but the conspiracy theorist/cinemahead/Govt-is-sneaky in me totally believes it's something that's possible.

Yes it could very well just be a fake mass warning, if so, than so be it. No harm no foul.

But if it's legit, which i wouldn't blame them for doing, they'd be putting us all under (basically) Martial Law, similar to Italy and Wuhan, to keep this thing from worsening any further.

Another thing, the current reports from the UC San Francisco estimate:

- 40-70% of the US will be infected over the next 12-18 months
- 1.5 million Americans may die vs. seasonal flu’s avg 50K deaths per year
- Fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu, assuming no drug is found effective/made available

Added in 9 minutes 47 seconds:
The NBA season is on hiatus

MLB is on hiatus

Disneyland closed its doors for the 4th time EVER

Some Churchs are closing for the first time since the 1800s

All colleges in NYC have been told to move to distance learning

Etc
Etc
Etc

All i'm saying is this is definitely nothing to scoff at with a "it's weaker than the flu we'll all be fine". Since the flu, and all these other viruses, have never done this before.

I'm calm and relaxed, but it's intriguing seeing all this stuff unfold by the hour.
I think it’s normal to be freaking out, and also disbelieve what’s going on. For about a month or two, by the American gov, you were warned it’s no big deal, and now it’s a big deal. I think New York is unique, in that it exists outside the wonky issues America has to deal with, and has some of the strongest people in America. I trust Cuomo and Deblasio’s (despite the former corruption, and latter memeness) over Trump on health issues. I genuinely trust that those two believe that they are working in the interest of the people, not Trump who has largely been ignoring it

Anyways, this shit pisses me off:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/asia ... index.html

Fuck that cuck Lijian Zhao. How must it feel to suck the dick of the Chinese government, and know you’re a fucking slave to all this bullshit?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

>Coronavirus is low risk to young people unless you have something like asthma
>brother has asthma

FUCK FUCK FUCK
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?