Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: Official News topic

Post by KManX89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/23/politics ... index.html

https://fox59.com/news/politics/rep-mar ... i-germany/

Reminds me of what Gina Carano got fired for.
Unfortunately, "cancel culture" doesn't exist for conservative politicians, even when they threaten our democracy, and their own congressmen.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Isn't cancel culture free speech?

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm The point everyone here's trying to make is that traditional sports require a hell of a lot more physical activity than playing a video game.
True, but overall physical activity means little to an athlete, its really the skill of doing a certain task. For instance, you can be the greatest pitcher in history, but if no-one valued that trait or lets say you're a soccer player, it wouldn't matter. What I'm really trying to say is prestige and recognition is given to those we see value in. Right now, those "athletes" participate in sports like Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Gulf, etc. Thing is, that dynamic is changing with esports as more eyes, money and people flood into the marketspace. At its current size, its still very small, but give it thirty years or so, and I wouldn't be shocked if the big tent pole sports have seen their audiences shrink or die (Baseball... cough cough) while Esports grows to considerable size. Will Esports and its players eclipse previous sports bases? Probably not, but the audiences will swell, the recognition of players should rise and the discussion of whether they're considered athletes will be an obsolete discussion as they make immense paychecks and posses acclaim for their achievements.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Why should a video gamer be called an athlete anyways? They are video gamers. Call them E-Gamers that's it. Hell, I'll go split and call them Gaming jocks. But I will NEVER call a video gamer an athlete. I can see it now, you'll have Mike Tyson, Babe Ruth, Jordan, Tiger Woods and then next to them Steven from across the street LOL.... with two headshots to clutch a COD championship.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue May 25, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Greyshot151 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:17 pm
Terasawa wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:28 pm The point everyone here's trying to make is that traditional sports require a hell of a lot more physical activity than playing a video game.
True, but overall physical activity means little to an athlete, its really the skill of doing a certain task. For instance, you can be the greatest pitcher in history, but if no-one valued that trait or lets say you're a soccer player, it wouldn't matter. What I'm really trying to say is prestige and recognition is given to those we see value in. Right now, those "athletes" participate in sports like Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Gulf, etc. Thing is, that dynamic is changing with esports as more eyes, money and people flood into the marketspace. At its current size, its still very small, but give it thirty years or so, and I wouldn't be shocked if the big tent pole sports have seen their audiences shrink or die (Baseball... cough cough) while Esports grows to considerable size. Will Esports and its players eclipse previous sports bases?
I absolutely think e-sports will continue to grow and become mainstream entertainment... eventually -- I don't think it will edge out the major sports in the immediate future, but there may well be a day when they do. I think it's too hard to predict because there are too many variables in the equation. Conventional wisdom says that some of the four major U.S. sports are declining, and yet, the NHL just inked multimedia contracts with Disney and Turner Sports which will make them $635 million for the next seven years. (Market Watch). That's a massive deal for the distantly-fourth-ranked major sport. The big four are not going anywhere any time soon.

However, I'm not trying to devalue e-sports or their participants. I just don't think they are athletes, nor that those games should be considered sports.
but the audiences will swell, the recognition of players should rise and the discussion of whether they're considered athletes will be an obsolete discussion as they make immense paychecks and posses acclaim for their achievements.
I think this is just skirting the issue. As I said, I'm not trying to devalue or delegitimize e-sports or the people who play them. But I think there is a clear distinction between what constitutes sport/an athlete and video games/gamers. The greatest player of any given video game is not an athlete because he wins sportlike tournaments or collects humongous paychecks comparable to some professional athletes. That's my point throughout all my posts in this thread.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:38 pm Why should a video gamer be called an athlete anyways? They are video gamers. Call them E-Gamers that's it. Hell, I'll go split and call them Gaming jocks. But I will NEVER call a video gamer an athlete. I can see it now, you'll have Mike Tyson, Babe Ruth, Jordan, Tiger Woods and then next to them Steven from across the street LOL.... with two headshots to clutch a COD championship.
Steve from across the street can't just go win a video game championship. Steve has to be years into playing and getting better and better, learning tricks and exploits.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Okay, let's not have any more debate on whether or not esports can be classified as "athletics."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... llion.html
Amazon bought MGM, and Bond was included.
I just love living in an age when every IP is owned by a handful of gigantic megacorporations.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:46 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... llion.html
I just love living in an age when every IP is owned by a handful of gigantic megacorporations.
inb4 Disney buys Amazon and DC
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:52 am inb4 Disney buys Amazon and DC
Honestly Amazon has so much power Disney wouldn't be able to buy them out even if they tried.. and it would probably end with them getting sued.

As for MGM.. can't really say i'm too surprised. The company was a shell of it's former self for years and none of the movies they made could help them get back on their feet even if they were succesful like that Addams Family movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MGM was dying no one was buying so Amazon saved it from chuteless skydiving.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 am MGM was dying no one was buying so Amazon saved it from chuteless skydiving.
No question, but it's still sad to see it happen. I've hated seeing what's happened to Marvel and Star Wars/Lucasfilm since Disney gobbled them up. Sure, the Marvel movies are ok but the comics side has suffered a lot, and there's no point in rehashing everything wrong with Disney Star Wars. Maybe the Bond series will thrive under Amazon but unlike Disney their reach extends from entertainment to food, shopping, and soon healthcare if they get their way. It sucks that these things that used to be revolutions of cinema have to become another arm of a giant corporation to survive.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:46 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... llion.html
My response

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm more worried about how this will affect film preservation and home media than anything IP-related.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:50 am I'm more worried about how this will affect film preservation and home media than anything IP-related.
Ditto, this is always my biggest concern in a situation like this.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Fuck streaming.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:14 am
goji89 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 am MGM was dying no one was buying so Amazon saved it from chuteless skydiving.
No question, but it's still sad to see it happen. I've hated seeing what's happened to Marvel and Star Wars/Lucasfilm since Disney gobbled them up. Sure, the Marvel movies are ok but the comics side has suffered a lot, and there's no point in rehashing everything wrong with Disney Star Wars. Maybe the Bond series will thrive under Amazon but unlike Disney their reach extends from entertainment to food, shopping, and soon healthcare if they get their way. It sucks that these things that used to be revolutions of cinema have to become another arm of a giant corporation to survive.
To be fair, Disney Star Wars has jumped in quality with Clone Wars season 8, The Bad Batch and The Mandolorian. The SW comics are also really good, especially the Vader ones. The films on the other hand....yeah, not so great. Rogue One was arguably the best of the bunch and it's still a bit of a chore to get through. However now that Dave Filoni is creative director, i have high hopes for the future.
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Hey Bezos. Now that you own MGM. how about taking 0.00000000001% of your fortune and giving us a proper restoration of Gorath, The Human Vapor, and The Last War :lol:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

o.supreme wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:56 am Hey Bezos. Now that you own MGM. how about taking 0.00000000001% of your fortune and giving us a proper restoration of Gorath, The Human Vapor, and The Last War :lol: