What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by JAGzilla »

Finished A Dance With Dragons a few days back. I pity the poor souls who read that thing (and all of the ASOIAF) books, really) when they first came out. I can't imagine putting up with George R. R. Martin's cliffhangers for freaking six+ years. :lol:

Currently working on Passport To Magonia, by Jacques Vallee. It's one of those books any UFO/unexplained enthusiast really should read, as it cuts through the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis crowd's noise and cherry-picking to point out that the UFO phenomenon has been with us a very long time, and that the 'aliens' associated with the UFOs are basically identical to the fairies and assorted 'little people' cultures around the world have believed in and reported contact with for centuries. The high-tech spacecraft and all that are just a modern face on an old phenomenon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Just started reading the Garth Ennis Punisher Omnibus hardcover, really enjoying it so far. I love that it starts off with one of his best stories in Welcome Back, Frank. Speaking of which, did you know there's actually a story where
Spoiler:
he beats Wolverine, Spider-Man AND DareDevil all in the same comic?

Oh yes, he does (Confederacy of Dunces). Not conventionally, of course, but it happened. The "infamous" rooftop scene from S2 (I think you know which one I'm referring to) was even ripped straight from this comic. The more you know.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The last book I got from the library was DC Comics Super-Villains: 100 Greatest Moments - Highlights from the History of the World's Greatest Super-Villains. Very good book.

Challenger007
Ronin

Post by Challenger007 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:34 am
Challenger007 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:59 am I'm reading Stoick, the second part of Theodore Dreiser's Desire Trilogy. There is a special charm in classical literature.
Looking through some statements and positions by the author, I’m a bit hesitant, but overall his stuff looks interesting. I’m always trying to diversify my Tatar’s and not stick to one genre, so this could be interesting, Perhaps I will add “American tragedy” to the list. Thanks!
I haven’t read the American tragedy yet. The Trilogy of Desire is the first thing I read from Dreiser's works. Before that, I read the Count of Monte Cristo. I've been drawn to the classics lately.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

If anybody is looking for a great "first contact" novel set in space, you have to read Ship of Gools by Richard Paul Russo. Easily one of my favorites, for how eery it is. Also, Childhood's End by Arthur Clarke is another fantastic "First Contact" novel.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Read issue# 1 of the 'Dino Riders' comic last night on top of recently reading 'Godzilla: Dominion'. Regarding the former, it's noteworthy how on the Valorian side of the story, there's a dynamic that's a bit more mature than in the show. And regarding the latter, it truly does a great job of showing things entirely from Godzilla's perspective (which there needs to be more comics/graphic novels about), though I wish it were longer.
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Been reading a lot of comics lately, so I'm thinking about something without pictures.
Stranger in a Strange Land is always a good pick-me-up, but I always get the itch to read Gatsby around this time of year.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Areba21
Young Farmer

Post by Areba21 »

My main complaint about Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom is that it felt like the only reason the characters were teenagers was so the storey could be classified as YA. The characters appeared to be in their early twenties at the very least.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I finished They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers, by Gray Barker, the other day. It was okay... amusing as a 1950s time capsule, when the average person still considered the US government to be trustworthy and truly acting in the public's best interest, and it still seemed like the answer was right around the corner, that the saucers were going to land and dramatically reveal their origin and intent at any time. The idea of a coverup was still new and alarming, almost as outlandish as the saucers themselves. Ah, to be so innocent. :lol: But yeah, beyond that aspect of it, much of the actual content came across as somewhat dull from my perspective sixty-five years later, since I'm not the target audience. Nothing much about it was actually compelling to me.

Currently working on The New Koreans, by Michael Breen. Basically an overview of the South Korean people, their culture and history, and how they're handling their whiplash-inducing shift from oppression and poverty to freedom and wealth. Pretty good and informative so far, though the author lets his mocking disdain for Christianity creep into the text a little too much at times, which is weird. That's a very minor gripe, though.

And I just bought Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke. I have virtually no experience with sci-fi novels outside of a few major franchises like Star Wars or Halo, and have been meaning to correct that, so I kind of picked this one on a whim. I know the author is a big name, and I'm interested in the idea of very long-term space voyages, which this book apparently deals with, so here I am. *shrug* Guess it's as good a place as any to start.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started 'The Best Of Famous Monsters, Vol.# 1 ' last night. It's a special issue from 2000 that contains articles from issues 206, 221, 223, 205, 217, 213, 224, and 212 that cover (among other topics) Jack Pierce, The Hammer Frankenstein series, The Wolf Man films, Ben Chapman's role as The Gill Man, and Ray Harryhausen.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Taking a trip down memory lane and re-reading Aliens vs Predator: Prey for the first time in quite a while.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Creola
Ronin

Post by Creola »

The last book I read was "Fahrenheit 451". I can say that this is a very cool and interesting book that everyone should learn about. Her plot is interesting and exciting, so I recommend it. :)
Last edited by Creola on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia right now. I've read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe..

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Need something big and long to pass the time. I started Titus Goan, the first in the Gormeghast series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gormenghast_(series)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just finished Where The Footprints End: High Strangeness and the Bigfoot Phenomenon Volume One. It's basically Passport to Magonia for Bigfoot. It addresses a lot of the weird reports that proponents of the flesh-and-blood hypothesis like to ignore, abilities, behaviors, and qualities that a simple ape wouldn't have. It focuses on pointing out the many, many similarities Bigfoot has with other unexplained phenomena, such as how behaviors like knocking sounds and throwing rocks have long been associated with ghosts and faeries, and UFOs and demons often have that same smell of sulfur to them. There's a lot of interesting material here, and every honest Bigfoot enthusiast should give it a read.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started the graphic novel of 'Animorphs: The Visitor' last night after reading the following stories from 'Native American Myths and Legends':

'Rabbit Boy' (White River Sioux)
'Blood Clot' (Southern Ute)
'The White Buffalo Woman' (Brule Sioux)
'The Earth Dragon' (Northern California Coast)
'Wakinyan Tanka, The Great Thunderbird' (Brule Sioux)
'Coyote Kills The Giant' (Flathead)
'The Bear and his Indian Wife' (Haida)

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started 'Y2K: Yuki Conquers the World' and 'Venom: The Enemy Within' last night after reading 'The Last Hope' (Matt Frank's Gamera comic), and a couple of 2001 Hulk comics.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well, I’ve just picked up more political science books, including Mussolini’s Intellectuals, a deep dive into the philosophy of Italian fascism and various figures within the ideology and Das Kapital, by Karl Marx.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm reading Neuromancer right now, with Snow Crash, Fight Club, Choke and The Mauritanian on deck.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I read HG Wells’ The War of the Worlds since it was on my bucket reading list. Riveting read. Wells never disappoints. It’s interesting to see how early science fiction was made as well.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image