What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by The Octopus »

Just finished reading this book
Did you know that Godzilla has a brain about this size?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Amusingly, perhaps, I just started The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, so kind of the other end of the dinosaur portrayal spectrum, if the above book's cover art is anything to go by.

I'm also working on Weird New York, which is fun and shows off a ton of obscure local legends and oddities, but sometimes feels like it's reaching a bit too far trying to find enough 'weird' content to fill itself out. I'll definitely be trying other titles in the series, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Finished part 1 of Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Really digging it so far. A lot of it is pretty mundane, but the characters own. individual stories and issues are really interesting to think about. I also like the idea that everyone in this one town finds solace in communicating and talking to someone that is death and mute. I am curious about where the novel will go. Everything is still really simple.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

FRAULEIN FRANKENSTEIN by Stephen Woodworth.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote:^ Amusingly, perhaps, I just started The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, so kind of the other end of the dinosaur portrayal spectrum, if the above book's cover art is anything to go by.
I've read the book, and I must say, it's a very good read.
For Emperor and Empire!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In addition to starting 'Ka-Zar: Guns Of The Savage Land', I've also jumped back on the Lovecraft wagon by starting 'The Dunwich Horror' on top of reading 'The History Of The Necronomicon' and 'The Beast In The Cave' earlier this week.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Fantastic read and I get why it's considered a modern classic. Really interesting but simple set up and some really thoroughly developed characters. Has to be one of the most irritatingly depressing character studies I've ever seen, and it feels like it's building up to some big solution, if certain characters just started talking to each other and trying to understand one another.

Now I'm reading Stories of Your Life by Ted Chiang. It's a compilation of short stories with SF elements; the titular story being adapted into Arrival. First story was about the Tower of Babel, and was really mystical with a fun ending. I read the second story, and while well-written it was pretty straightforward. Looking godward to reading more.

Added in 2 days 8 hours 4 minutes 28 seconds:
Finished Stories of Your Life. Absolutely fantastic. There were a bunch of wonderful stories that were well crafted using religious imagery in interesting ways. An example includes a world in which angels exist and appear on a semi-regularly basis. People try to get miracles performed on them and go through dangerous efforts in order to have a religious experience. Hard to explain. This feels like a good mix of pulp SF and really well thought and well realized ideas. I'll look for more authors similar in the future.

I will start The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon tomorrow.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm almost done with The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs, and it absolutely deserves it's praise. The author does a fantastic job weaving the various aspects of paleontology together into a story, and this book is basically the ideal place to start if you want to familiarize yourself with dinosaurs.

I'm also still working on the New Teen Titans TPBs; I'm almost done with volume four, and specifically just finished The New Teen Titans Annual #1, which was an epic space saga and the best the book has been yet.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

I've started reading the Overlord light novels.

So far, a pretty good run. Ainz/Momonga is a very decent main character, the worldbuilding both for the videogame Yggdrasil and the New World is pretty well done, and the plot isn't too complicated or overdone.

With that said, it does feel at certain points that the author goes for the most dark, evil things for the sake of shock, as he seems to love making characters as evil as possible. He's still a good writer, so not really complaining that much, but it does come off as kinda edgy
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Ive been reading this book.

I find it offensive and very Chapodiphobic.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Having finished 'Daikaiju Yuki', I added Doug Niles' 'Dragons: The Myths, Legends, & Lore' to my list last night.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The Octopus wrote:Ive been reading this book.

This got me on a weird deep dive into octopus related children's books.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

The Octopus wrote:Ive been reading this book.

Don't be such an easily offendedImage
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Good so far. I like the dystopian view of sharecropping. Seems really alien.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I started Fathoms: The World in the Whale last night. If the first few pages are anything to go by, the praise this book has received is deserved, and I think I'll already go ahead and recommend it. It's beautifully written, and highly informative; I've already learned a lot and had my perspective enhanced.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Finished reading The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. Fantastic Magical Realistic book, that summarizes generations of love and horror through multiple perspectives. Through it I learned a lot about history of Latin America and Chile. Easily now one of my favorite books ever.

I intend to read more by her, although next is So Far From God by Ana Castillo.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Finished Fathoms, and in honor of the season I started Playing With Fire, by Billy Hallowell. It basically looks into the existence of demons (and associated phenomena like possession and exorcism) and ghosts from a Christian perspective. I've been meaning to learn more about both Christian theology and demonology more generally, so this seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Challenger007
Ronin

Post by Challenger007 »

I'm not reading a book now, but I'm hooked on sites on astronomy and aerospace technologies. I found several interesting and promising new companies, which, as I understand it, have global plans for space exploration, including for improving life on Earth. And, as a fact, with the development of technologies and the scale of production, the number of jobs will also increase. Here in the article "UK space industry set to open 15.000 new green job opportunities by 2030| Skyrora" as for me there are very optimistic plans, which, I hope, will be implemented and will give a new impetus to the development of the aerospace industry.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Started on another story from the compilation book, 'Predator: If It Bleeds' called 'Skeld's Keep' last night. It's basically about Yautjas hunting/taking on Vikings.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Speak
Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson

It's a really good book about
The story of high school freshman Melinda Sordino. After accidentally busting an end of summer party due to a sexual assault, Melinda is ostracized by her peers because she will not say why she called the police.

There is a movie based on the book and it stares Kristen Stewart, surprisingly she's very good in it which came out in 2004. I'd recommend it.