Celebrity Obituaries and Passings

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Celebrity Obituaries and Passings

Post by Executive Hamster »

You guys are right. Thank you.
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:10 pm Trying to decide what movie to watch tonight in his honor.
Im watching Godzilla vs Mothra. That was the film I remember him from the most. The first role I think of when I think of him.....and it also just so happens to be the next movie in my marathon, but thats purely coincidental.

"Can I get one question" And then he asks probably the stupidest question you could ever ask regarding a giant egg. That is one of the most memorable moments in the whole franchise for me.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:10 pm Trying to decide what movie to watch tonight in his honor.
Honestly i'm gonna watch every Godzilla film he was in on a marathon. It's the least i can do.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Tbh I think the roles he seemed to have the most fun with were Mr. Safecracker and Sec. Gen. Daigo. Probably gonna find time for those and Latitude Zero after this weekend.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As spry and lively as ever right up until the end. Everyone should hope to go out like that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:02 am Haven't seen an English language article about it yet but it appears as if Akira Takarada passed away.
RIP to an absolute legend he will definitely be missed dearly

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think I'm gonna watch Monster Zero tonight to commemorate him. Astronaut Fuji has joined Glenn.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:36 pm As spry and lively as ever right up until the end. Everyone should hope to go out like that.
I literally want to be as cool as him when i am older. Except, im sure that is impossible, because im not mother fucking Akira Takarada.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

May the legend rest in peace. His works will forever inspire the lives of every Godzilla fans around the world.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oooof, that one really hurt. It feels especially painful because it's sort of an end of an era; he was one of the last actors from the original 54 film, and was of course in many of the "golden era" Toho films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:08 pm Oooof, that one really hurt. It feels especially painful because it's sort of an end of an era; he was one of the last actors from the original 54 film, and was of course in many of the "golden era" Toho films.
Couldn’t have put it better myself.😔
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I feel Takarada-san's passing should warrant its own thread in the "General Toho Films" section.

Anyways, what's more to say? A true class-act both on film and in real life. I only met him briefly at G-Fest 2019, but even in those faint moments I could tell what a hell of a guy he was. Also very sad to see a man who's dedicated much of his later life to anti-nuclear activism pass when the world is once more at a brink...

For those wanting to see him in some non-Kaiju roles, there's of course the Andrew Hoshino duology directed by Jun Fukuda (Ironfinger and Golden Eyes), but I also recommend The Big Boss (Directed by Kihachi Okamoto) and Samurai Saga (Hiroshi Inagaki), both from 1959.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:34 pm I feel Takarada-san's passing should warrant its own thread in the "General Toho Films" section.

Anyways, what's more to say? A true class-act both on film and in real life. I only met him briefly at G-Fest 2019, but even in those faint moments I could tell what a hell of a guy he was. Also very sad to see a man who's dedicated much of his later life to anti-nuclear activism pass when the world is once more at a brink...

For those wanting to see him in some non-Kaiju roles, there's of course the Andrew Hoshino duology directed by Jun Fukuda (Ironfinger and Golden Eyes), but I also recommend The Big Boss (Directed by Kihachi Okamoto) and Samurai Saga (Hiroshi Inagaki), both from 1959.
Done:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 8#p1875988
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:41 pm
mikelcho wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:08 pm So sad. May he rest in peace and may the Lord have mercy on his soul.

I only hope Legendary/Warner Bros. hears about this and finally decides to restore his missing scene to Godzilla (2014) as a fitting tribute to his memory.
They're not going to do that, and I think it would be a better tribute to his memory if people stopped bringing it up. I heard Takarada didn't even care.
Wow, I didn't even know that. What a good sport he was!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:41 pm They're not going to do that, and I think it would be a better tribute to his memory if people stopped bringing it up. I heard Takarada didn't even care.
What a dumb thing to say. Takarada may not have cared but a lot of his fans would like to see this scene that was given substantial press before release only to be dropped without explanation on release. Nobody's suddenly asking for it because of his passing. We would just like to see what was filmed.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this really is a big punch to the gut. The man was truly a class act, and it was an honor to meet him twice at G-Fest, the second time being the last one I went to, back in 2019.

R.I.P. Takarada-san :cry:
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:04 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:41 pm They're not going to do that, and I think it would be a better tribute to his memory if people stopped bringing it up. I heard Takarada didn't even care.
What a dumb thing to say. Takarada may not have cared but a lot of his fans would like to see this scene that was given substantial press before release only to be dropped without explanation on release. Nobody's suddenly asking for it because of his passing. We would just like to see what was filmed.
I remember the 2 year fan campaign to even make it happen and the huge amount of excitement when it came to be.
Last edited by Chris55 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:10 pm The last of the mohicans is gone as they say. RIP
Also we are truly in a new era for Godzilla now.
I feel the same way.
It makes me very emotional that the lead actors and filmmakers of the original 1954 movie are no longer in this world. I feel like a long story is finally coming to an end. It can't be the same as before. But the legends will remain.

https://twitter.com/UvU_00/status/15047 ... YSZw_rmZwg

This makes me really emotional too.

Added in 4 minutes 33 seconds:

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:08 pm So sad. May he rest in peace and may the Lord have mercy on his soul.

I only hope Legendary/Warner Bros. hears about this and finally decides to restore his missing scene to Godzilla (2014) as a fitting tribute to his memory.
I have always felt that some kind of re-cut, special edition of that film was overdue. I think it would be a nice gesture to restore his cameo into the film. When you consider how loosely that film is edited and how many moments just linger....of all the things they could have cut and trimmed, his scene should have been off limits.

Aside from all of that hoopla, this just stings a lot.

My fandom of Godzilla reaches back to as far as I can remember. Watching my Godzilla vs The Sea Monster VHS tape occupies some of my earliest movie-watching memories.

Rest In Peace Akira Takarada. God Bless.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

R.I.P. Akira Takarada
An iconic legend of Toho studios is gone. We, the fans will keep him in our minds and hearts.

Added in 23 minutes 1 second:
vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:57 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:10 pm The last of the mohicans is gone as they say. RIP
Also we are truly in a new era for Godzilla now.
I feel the same way.
It makes me very emotional that the lead actors and filmmakers of the original 1954 movie are no longer in this world. I feel like a long story is finally coming to an end. It can't be the same as before. But the legends will remain.

https://twitter.com/UvU_00/status/15047 ... YSZw_rmZwg

This makes me really emotional too.

Added in 4 minutes 33 seconds:
Thank you for that photograph by the way. It´s a very nice picture to honor that trio. I never saw Akihiko Hirata smiling before because of his serious roles he played especially in Godzilla 1954.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Was just talking to someone about Akira Takarada this morning, had no idea about this. RIP, what a legend.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.