The unofficial random questions thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The unofficial random questions thread

Post by Terasawa »

Why the fuck are six Star Trek TV series currently in some stage of production or development?
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:52 pm Why the skreeonk are six Star Trek TV series currently in some stage of production or development?
Milking a series thats been going since the 60s for shared universe mass media potential works for the mouse, why not the mountain?

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

anybody else remember then the Toho Kingdom podcast was a thing? that was good times.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm doing a research project on the etymology of words in the English language. I've decided to focus my project on monsters.

Please list out any words that you associate with monsters. They can be nouns, adjectives and even verbs. Just no proper nouns or names. Here's what I have so far:

"Monster, Goliath, Leviathan, Creature, Beast, Demon, vampire, mummy, Zombie, Skeleton, thrall, Corpse, Dragon, Werewolf, Witch, Wizard, Kaiju, Cyclops, Behemoth, Titan, Golem, Horror, rotten, gigantic, undead, grotesque, "
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

^ me back in middle school according to the other kids
your source of self destruction

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:28 pm I'm doing a research project on the etymology of words in the English language. I've decided to focus my project on monsters.

Please list out any words that you associate with monsters. They can be nouns, adjectives and even verbs. Just no proper nouns or names. Here's what I have so far:

"Monster, Goliath, Leviathan, Creature, Beast, Demon, vampire, mummy, Zombie, Skeleton, thrall, Corpse, Dragon, Werewolf, Witch, Wizard, Kaiju, Cyclops, Behemoth, Titan, Golem, Horror, rotten, gigantic, undead, grotesque, "
Will-o'-the-wisp? Hag?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:28 pm I'm doing a research project on the etymology of words in the English language. I've decided to focus my project on monsters.

Cryptid, bogeyman, boogie, shadow, devil, inhuman, humanoid, alien, terror, weird, ghoul, beasties, nightmare, slime, midnight, colossus, mutant, freak, fiend & hellion.

I hope that helps.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Will-o'-the-wisp? Hag?
Hmmm, both are interesting but I'm not so sure. Will-o-the-wisp might be too specific. Hag is alright, but I already have witch. Thank you though!

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:48 am

Cryptid, bogeyman, boogie, shadow, devil, inhuman, humanoid, alien, terror, weird, ghoul, beasties, nightmare, slime, midnight, colossus, mutant, freak, fiend & hellion.

I hope that helps.
Shadow, Alien, Terror, Weird, Ghoul, Nightmare, Slime, Midnight, Fiend are all going on the list! Thanks!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ Here's a GREAT quote pertaining to Trolls that might work for you -
What a happiness this must have been seventy or eighty years ago and upwards, to those chosen few who had the good luck to be born on the eve of this festival of all festivals; when the whole earth was so overrun with ghosts, boggles, bloody-bones, spirits, demons, ignis fatui, brownies, bugbears, black dogs, specters, shellycoats, scarecrows, witches, wizards, barguests, Robin-Goodfellows, hags, night-bats, scrags, breaknecks, fantasms, hobgoblins, hobhoulards, boggy-boes, dobbies, hob-thrusts, fetches, kelpies, warlocks, mock-beggars, mum-pokers, Jemmy-burties, urchins, satyrs, pans, fauns, sirens, tritons, centaurs, calcars, nymphs, imps, incubuses, spoorns, men-in-the-oak, hell-wains, fire-drakes, kit-a-can-sticks, Tom-tumblers, melch-dicks, larrs, kitty-witches, hobby-lanthorns, Dick-a-Tuesdays, Elf-fires, Gyl-burnt-tales, knockers, elves, rawheads, Meg-with-the-wads, old-shocks, ouphs, pad-foots, pixies, pictrees, giants, dwarfs, Tom-pokers, tutgots, snapdragons, sprets, spunks, conjurers, thurses, spurns, tantarrabobs, swaithes, tints, tod-lowries, Jack-in-the-Wads, mormos, changelings, redcaps, yeth-hounds, colt-pixies, Tom-thumbs, black-bugs, boggarts, scar-bugs, shag-foals, hodge-pochers, hob-thrushes, bugs, bull-beggars, bygorns, bolls, caddies, bomen, brags, wraiths, waffs, flay-boggarts, fiends, gallytrots, imps, gytrashes, patches, hob-and-lanthorns, gringes, boguests, bonelesses, Peg-powlers, pucks, fays, kidnappers, gallybeggars, hudskins, nickers, madcaps, trolls, robinets, friars' lanthorns, silkies, cauld-lads, death-hearses, goblins, hob-headlesses, bugaboos, kows, or cowes, nickies, nacks necks, waiths, miffies, buckies, ghouls, sylphs, guests, swarths, freiths, freits, gy-carlins Gyre-carling, pigmies, chittifaces, nixies, Jinny-burnt-tails, dudmen, hell-hounds, dopple-gangers, boggleboes, bogies, redmen, portunes, grants, hobbits, hobgoblins, brown-men, cowies, dunnies, wirrikows, alholdes, mannikins, follets, korreds, lubberkins, cluricauns, kobolds, leprechauns, kors, mares, korreds, puckles korigans, sylvans, succubuses, blackmen, shadows, banshees, lian-hanshees, clabbernappers, Gabriel-hounds, mawkins, doubles, corpse lights or candles, scrats, mahounds, trows, gnomes, sprites, fates, fiends, sibyls, nicknevins, whitewomen, fairies, thrummy-caps, cutties, and nisses, and apparitions of every shape, make, form, fashion, kind and description, that there was not a village in England that had not its own peculiar ghost. Nay, every lone tenement, castle, or mansion-house, which could boast of any antiquity had its bogle, its specter, or its knocker. The churches, churchyards, and crossroads were all haunted. Every green lane had its boulder-stone on which an apparition kept watch at night. Every common had its circle of fairies belonging to it. And there was scarcely a shepherd to be met with who had not seen a spirit!
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eDifferent

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Brute, ogre, savage, hideous, appalling, gruesome, warg, brutal, thing, abomination, rampage, slaughter, destroy, marauding, unholy, unnatural, prehistoric, otherworldly, hydra, spook, specter, phantom, lich, harpy, gorgon, mysterious, unknown, foul, fearsome, dead, vicious, disgusting, minotaur, troll, parasite, giant, goblin, blob.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mastodon.

Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2

Actually, old English language trailers would be a good source for some unlikely descriptions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 pm Actually, old English language trailers would be a good source for some unlikely descriptions.
I dunno, the English -> Old English translator I found online couldn't even give me a translation of the words "unlikely descriptions."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Remember when Toho Kingdom use to let users make their own film reviews and have it on the website along with the reviews by TK crew members?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Would it be weird if I sometimes spoke my other languages here? In short bursts?

Manchmal habe ich einfach das Bedürfnis, Deutschland zu sprechen.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 am Would it be weird if I sometimes spoke my other languages here? In short bursts?

I'm unaware of any language called "Deutschland."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:40 am Would it be weird if I sometimes spoke my other languages here? In short bursts?
Considering this is a primarily English-speaking board, yeah a little bit.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 am

my tutor said sometimes we translate german to just germany. But yes, I really meant Deutsch.

It’s ok, I won’t speak anything foreign.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:47 pm

my tutor said sometimes we translate german to just germany. But yes, I really meant Deutsch.

Does your tutor natively speak German? I studied the language for four years and have used it on few occasions in the decade and change since; in all that time, I can't recall any example of the word "Deutschland" used to define the language itself, nor does that appear to be an acceptable use for the word as defined in the Duden and Langenscheidt dictionaries. Wiktionary doesn't define it that way, either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:01 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Does your tutor natively speak German? I studied the language for four years and have used it on few occasions in the decade and change since; in all that time, I can't recall any example of the word "Deutschland" used to define the language itself, nor does that appear to be an acceptable use for the word as defined in the Duden and Langenscheidt dictionaries. Wiktionary doesn't define it that way, either.
I believe my tutor to natively speak Austrian Standard German.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

"Deutschland" is the German name for the nation of Germany, just like "Nippon" is the Japanese name for the nation of Japan.