The World Is Amazing Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: The World Is Amazing Thread

Post by ROMG4 »

The rarely seen Pacific Sleeper Shark along several other species of Shark such as the Hammerhead were found living and thriving around an Undersea Volcano

And here's one of the oldest living creatures on Earth a Greenland Shark that has been estimated to be over 500 years old

And here's some Lava!
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Sphyrna mokarran, aka the Great Hammerhead. The largest species of hammerhead shark currently existing, and one of the apex predators of the sea.

Unfortunately, it is red-listed by the IUCN as Critically Endangered. Populations have dropped by at least 50% within the last two decades. Man-made CO2 emissions have both raised the water temperature of the oceans and reduced the water pH, making their habitats more acidic. Ocean acidification has reduced its food supply, and increased CO2 in the water has been shown to affect the shark's ability to smell and sense electrical disturbances in the water. Furthermore, overfishing and shark-finning has further reduced their numbers.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

So here's some potentially WORLD SHATTERING news to brighten up your 2020:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... d=msedgdhp

It's not confirmed to be life yet, of course, and the Men In Black probably won't let the news get out if it is confirmed... but scientists currently don't have a better explanation. Aliens probably living right next door, folks! How's that for amazing?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Mount Hood in Oregon peeking through the fog.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

JAGzilla wrote:So here's some potentially WORLD SHATTERING news to brighten up your 2020:

It's not confirmed to be life yet, of course, and the Men In Black probably won't let the news get out if it is confirmed... but scientists currently don't have a better explanation. Aliens probably living right next door, folks! How's that for amazing?
This is incredible news! It would be totally brilliant if after everywhere we looked Europa, Titan, Mars, all the moons and planets we focused on after writing off Venus as maybe once having life, we finally found it there. Even if it doesn't end up being life discovering what is making this signal will be of huge interest and might help us better find life down the line
Beast Blood wrote:Mount Hood in Oregon peeking through the fog.

This totally gives me a Misty Mountains from the Hobbit feel I love the look of mountains when it is foggy its awesome

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I don't want to be a debbie downer because it would really be great if they found life on Venus, even if it is just microbial, but at this point I'd expect they'd discover a novel and previously unknown means of inorganic phosphine production that's only possible in the Venusian atmosphere or something before they discover life
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote:So here's some potentially WORLD SHATTERING news to brighten up your 2020:

It's possible, not probable. Exciting news nonetheless... As long as it isn't this:

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HOL UP.

WE MIGHT HAVE LIFE

ON VENUS?!

MAH ALIEN RESEARCH BONER IS HIGHLY ERECT.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Here's the published paper if the nitty-gritty appeals to anyone: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-1174-4
(And if you don't care about all the nitty-gritty but still want to hear it from the source, read the Abstract, Main, and Results sections, or just the Abstract if you want the really short version)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:Here's the published paper if the nitty-gritty appeals to anyone: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-1174-4
(And if you don't care about all the nitty-gritty but still want to hear it from the source, read the Abstract, Main, and Results sections, or just the Abstract if you want the really short version)
Yeah, right now it’s just pointing out that there’s an explained phenomenon, and that unexplained thing is caused by life generally.

Well, this isn’t really “the world is amazing” but “Venus is amazing”.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A world is amazing, anyway. Really, though, 'the world' doesn't necessarily have to mean Earth specifically. I'm interpreting it as 'the universe'.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:Here's the published paper if the nitty-gritty appeals to anyone: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-1174-4
Yeah, right now it’s just pointing out that there’s an explained phenomenon, and that unexplained thing is caused by life generally.

Well, this isn’t really “the world is amazing” but “Venus is amazing”.
My plan was always have to astronomy and space stuff in this thread, after all we are looking at the universe through what we have on Earth. So I've never seen any problem with it and I figured it was a great way to keep everything together in one big cool thread
Terasawa wrote:

It's possible, not probable. Exciting news nonetheless... As long as it isn't this:

That looks like Kraang mutated with starfish and crab DNA

Then turned into a hat from Team Fortress 2

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The nice thing about nature is that it's amazing and beautiful no matter where it is. Dramatic places like the Himalayas or the Grand Canyon or the islands of the Caribbean get the attention and the documentaries and so on, but even the most ho-hum nowhere places can be paradises in their own right. I forget that sometimes, but I was just reminded. I walk my dogs every day on what was supposed to be a residential street; the woods were cleared, but most of the houses were never built, so now it's just narrow meadows backed by narrow stands of woods. Seeing it every day, I get bored and largely cease to notice the environment, but there are days where it can't be ignored.

Today is basically perfect. It's cool and cloudy, the sky a fantastic jumble of greys, whites, and dull blues, accented with a circling turkey vulture. There's a strong breeze blowing, rustling the leaves and tall grass. We're right at the border between Summer and Fall, and the grass is two to three feet high and in various states of seed production, a mini forest of greens and browns with wildflowers adding splashes of yellow, white, and purple here and there. The leaves on the saplings are streaked with red, and a handful of the mature trees are just starting to show the slightest tinge of yellow. Crickets and various bird species are providing a continual background track of chirps and buzzes, over which a flock of blue jays are loudly squabbling. And as a bonus, a rough green snake was crossing the road. My dog almost stepped on it, and I very nearly missed seeing it myself; they're very inconspicuous, barely visible even out in the open. They can easily be mistaken for a large blade of grass, and no doubt I've done that a hundred times. I've only ever seen them two or three times, so that's a rare event. Yeah, it's a nice day. I have work tonight so I'll have to sleep through most of it, but the walk was fun.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Nicely-preserved ice age burr found.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/14/euro ... index.html

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Never knew this place existed until now, but it's incredible:

And on a related note, I found it through AllAboutBirds.org, which is a very valuable resource for bird identification and info in general: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/

Added in 4 days 10 hours 6 minutes 18 seconds:
An interesting situation brewing right now on WildEarth, with a pride of lions and a herd of buffalo skirmishing, and a second pride of lions very close by. It could turn into a three-way gang war, filmed live!

EDIT: And it fizzled out. Oh, well.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Beast Blood wrote:Nicely-preserved ice age burr found.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/14/euro ... index.html
I heard about this a little while ago, this is so cool! Now we can we can better see what Cave Bears actually looked like as well as examine their DNA. Its just super cool that we were able to find a preserved Cave Bear

Oh and returning to space for a second, Hubble has captured a new image of Jupiter and the moon Europa as well as a small remnant of a Supernova blast that ancient humans saw 15,000 years ago, the Cygnus Loop

https://www.spacetelescope.org/news/heic2017/
https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-hu ... ast-2020-9

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Adorable clown-shoed insects that can make webs like spiders, how are Webspinners not more popular/well known?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I'll tell you what's amazing.

Nature.

Nature is amazing.

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Scientists have successfully extracted DNA from an Insect in Amber for the first time

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbress ... 82c4831445

Last edited by ROMG4 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote:Scientists have successfully extracted DNA from an Insect in Amber for the first time

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbress ... 82c4831445

Wow, this is great! Imagine if we do this for prehistoric animals too!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!