Most Toxic Fandom?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.

What do you think is the most toxic fandom?

Any sports team (specify below)
6%
Star Wars
24%
Star Trek
2%
Marvel
5%
DC
2%
Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth
No votes
Harry Potter
3%
Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire
No votes
My Little Pony
3%
Transformers
2%
Rick and Morty
3%
Steven Universe
6%
Call of Duty
No votes
Pokemon
3%
Sonic the Hedgehog
3%
Simpsons
No votes
Family Guy
No votes
South Park
2%
Dragon Ball
No votes
Naruto
No votes
Sword Art Online
No votes
This one... (Godzilla/Kaiju)
21%
Other (comment below)
17%

Total votes: 66

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Most Toxic Fandom?

Post by NSZ »

Yeah, every fandom can be an absolute cesspool of a shitpit, which makes it hard to discern who's the worst.

If we're talking actual health hazard, though, I think the Smash Bros. fanbase takes it with ease.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Giratina93 wrote:And then there's the other major section of toxic fandoms: Multiplayer team focused games. If players have to work together or compete with one another to get the edge over a different group of people, toxicity and elitism is going to explode. Smite, League of Legends, and Call of Duty are all front and center for how toxic and elitist their fanboys and players can become, and we've all heard the stories of eight year olds screaming their heads off over X-box Live because someone is either spawn camping or not playing optimally.
Part of the appeal of online multiplayer is being called inaccurate ethnic slurs by angry kids in Peru or Belarus after you gib them desu
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just play Solo on Fortnite, and don't use a headset for Overwatch. Problem solved! Sort of...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Those people who unironically praise and love serial killers, by default.

Normal toxicity, I don't have a pick. All fandoms have a bad side they try to avoid showing. I guess I'll mention Sherlock because I still have the Sarah Z's Johnlock conspiracy video on my mind?

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:52 am Those people who unironically praise and love serial killers, by default.

wait what.

Okay really, fictional horror characters are one thing, but actual real life serial killers?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Gigantis wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:23 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:52 am Those people who unironically praise and love serial killers, by default.

wait what.

Okay really, fictional horror characters are one thing, but actual real life serial killers?

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/seri ... -on-tumblr

Welcome to hell :)

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 am
Gigantis wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:23 am

wait what.

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/seri ... -on-tumblr

Yeah. No thanks. :D

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 amhttps://www.bitchmedia.org/article/seri ... -on-tumblr

Those folks are just as bad as those serial killers then.

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:10 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 amhttps://www.bitchmedia.org/article/seri ... -on-tumblr

......uh, no, the serial killers are definitely worse.

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:10 pm

......uh, no, the serial killers are definitely worse.
They would probably help a serial killer, giving them shelter and helping hide the body, thus become an accessory to murder as well as aiding and abetting a criminal. Enablers allow shitty people to get away with their shittyness, encouraging it.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Living Corpse wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:38 amEDIT: Well this post aged like milk.
What exactly did you aim to accomplish here lol
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

All of them have toxicity present, some more then others although Star Wars would be the worst of the bunch.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The MCYT fandom, especially since Dream and his pals came onto the scene. Rule 34, shipping, stalking, all that stuff. All with real people, mind you.
For Emperor and Empire!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Well, the only two fandoms I actively follow are the Godzilla fandom and the Kung Fu Movie Fandom. Of those two, the former is definitely more toxic. Some members of the latter can be annoying, mainly if they feel the need to remind us how much they hate wire-fu in every post. But otherwise, G fans are a lot more prone to flame wars (is that what the kids are calling it these days?) in my experience. That said, other than an argument I got into with someone over the Absolute Zero cannon and my getting snippy with August Ragone back in 2001 (at the old MZ thread) when I didn't even know who he was or why he was important, I've generally gotten along with most fellow G Fans.
Last edited by H-Man on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

The idea that our fandom is a toxic one is something that I have been trying to get my head around for a while. Have seen a lot of stuff on YouTube mentioning that our fandom is toxic for X, Y, and Z, which has left me puzzled as to when/where this is happening. On Toho Kingdom? I feel that our mods have a pretty good handle on any flames that arise. Have I had arguments or tense discussions on this forum since I first joined at least 1p years ago? Yes, but not too often.

My observations on our fandom is basically an influx of new fans from the Monsterverse and younger fans versus an older fandom of generations of people that were active before 2014. I have recently made a Reddit account and I can say that the vibe and type of posts there are much different than here. There are also a lot of younger fans on Reddit compared to our forum. I think that as older, experienced fans we try our best to expose and educate the younger fans on older Godzilla films and their merits. I know that when I was a younger fan this forum and the discussions I had with members broadened my knowledge and introduced me to a lot of new things within Godzilla/tokusatsu (Ultraman for instance).

As for the most toxic fandom I know of, Star Wars for sure. Reaction to Last Jedi so severe that Rise of Skywalker had to appease the fans for wrongs done. I also have the belief that fans who watch the new Disney Plus shows are not critical enough against them for throwing a myriad of past characters into shows to make things interesting. I feel that the introduction of many of these characters is a way to compensate for bad writing/plots.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with our fandom. I've learned so much and met so many cool people.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I really do have the agree with that Star Wars has a toxic fan base as of now, those fans literally sends death threats to the actors, keep on complaining about all of this stupid SJW war which is so fucking annoying because nobody cares about this anymore it started in 2016 I think we’re all now aware that both anti-SJW and SJW‘s are stupid

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Star Wars was toxic long before 2016. We're talking about the fandom that nearly drove one of its actors to suicide.

The fandom that caused its creator to sell it off to a corporation just to be rid of the vitriol.

The fandom that I can't even engage in discussion most of the time, just because I happen to enjoy certain movies like The Phantom Menace. Again, well before 2016.

The toxicity just got pushed into the public eye in recent years, but it was always there. I still enjoy Star Wars, but I prefer to do so privately.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:40 pm Star Wars was toxic long before 2016. We're talking about the fandom that nearly drove one of its actors to suicide.

The fandom that caused its creator to sell it off to a corporation just to be rid of the vitriol.

The fandom that I can't even engage in discussion most of the time, just because I happen to enjoy certain movies like The Phantom Menace. Again, well before 2016.

The toxicity just got pushed into the public eye in recent years, but it was always there. I still enjoy Star Wars, but I prefer to do so privately.
And also that actor who played Anakin Skywalker when he was a kid he got bullied relentlessly, like what he’s just a kid he did nothing wrong to you

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Sports fans no doubt. You can say what you want to about a fandom like this one, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.

But I never heard of a buncha of nerds starting riots and flipping over vehicles when they don't like the outcome of a movie. Everyone just bitches about it for a few weeks/months online. Sports fans will fucking riot.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?