Most Toxic Fandom?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.

What do you think is the most toxic fandom?

Any sports team (specify below)
6%
Star Wars
24%
Star Trek
2%
Marvel
5%
DC
2%
Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth
No votes
Harry Potter
3%
Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire
No votes
My Little Pony
3%
Transformers
2%
Rick and Morty
3%
Steven Universe
6%
Call of Duty
No votes
Pokemon
3%
Sonic the Hedgehog
3%
Simpsons
No votes
Family Guy
No votes
South Park
2%
Dragon Ball
No votes
Naruto
No votes
Sword Art Online
No votes
This one... (Godzilla/Kaiju)
21%
Other (comment below)
17%

Total votes: 66

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Most Toxic Fandom?

Post by Spuro »

I voted for "Other". Clearly, the most toxic fandom is...
Spoiler:
the Trump fandom. :angel:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I’m stunned by the lack of votes for MLP or Sonic.
I only know the Sonic fandom by reputation, but in my years of experience as a brony, I've found the MLP fandom's reputation for toxicity to be greatly exaggerated. You get some trolls and painful awkwardness here and there, some generic internet anger, and there was the infamous Las Pegasus Unicon incident, but there was also a striking sense of actual community, particularly in the early days, and just a very fun, upbeat vibe. Contrary to the cringe compilation stereotype, most of us were fully aware of the ludicrous nature of grown men obsessing over colorful cartoon horses, and we embraced that and mocked ourselves more than haters ever did. It was also a tremendous creative outlet for so many people; at the fandom's height, Equestria Daily and FIMFiction.net showcased more high-quality fanart and fanfiction every day than I typically see posted here in a year. A lot of people tried to take the show's values to heart, too, especially Generosity, with auctions raising thousands of dollars for charity being a common feature of cons. I remember the fandom fully funded the construction of a clinic somewhere in Africa, and helped pay for surgeries for a little girl with brain cancer; she ultimately couldn't be saved, but her parents said that brony donations kept her going as long as she did. There were a lot of good things going for the MLP fandom, and probably still are, though I've been out of the loop for a while; gotta finish Season Nine and try to get back in before G5 kicks off next year.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

All of them can be vile/entitled/gatekeepers/etc. and some I flat-out don't understand at all* but usually the higher profile the franchise is (Star Wars probably at the top) the louder and dumber the toxic segments can be.

* And I'm sure some feel the same way about Godzilla/kaiju.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I don't understand why Sword Art Online is there instead of something like League of Legends or Dota. It is strange to me

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

This fandom isnt toxic, atleast when you stay within the monster aspect when you get to collecting yeah it gets pretty stupid. You mainly just have...uuuuuh, "younger" people being the most vocal.

"Did you know Godzilla's name in Japanese in Gojira"
Stuff like that.

Being a part of the MLP @ one point, yeah greatly stretched like the Sonic fandom but more open to others. The most toxic ive seen is Steven Universe....

HOW DARE YOU CHANGE THIS CHARACTER OF COLOR TO A SLIGHTLY SHADE OF DIFFERENT COLOR! And thus the person who did the fan art shuts down all social media because angry PC people. Extremely toxic to anything that might harm the PC or "exclusivity" of that fandom's characters.

Honorable mentions to sports. Look up the "Football War" and you'll know why. It wasn't the sole cause but the one that broke the camels back. Also, everytime the Lakers lose a champ game the fans riot in LA.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Most fandoms have a toxic element.
For what it's worth, I think Star Wars post Disney has developed a pretty toxic side. I understand being unhappy with the way something you care about is being handled. But the 13 hour video essays on how VII is bad, the barely disguised sexism, and the CONSTANT bitching all the time got old pretty quickly.
Edit: I probably said something like this already but fuck it still true
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

halo, back when I was on xbox anyway
your source of self destruction

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SpaceG92 wrote:This fandom isnt toxic, atleast when you stay within the monster aspect when you get to collecting yeah it gets pretty stupid. You mainly just have...uuuuuh, "younger" people being the most vocal.
The toy collectors are in their 30s.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Living Corpse wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:This fandom isnt toxic, atleast when you stay within the monster aspect when you get to collecting yeah it gets pretty stupid. You mainly just have...uuuuuh, "younger" people being the most vocal.
The toy collectors are in their 30s.
Kinda misquoted, lack of proper structure on my part. I meant the, "bulk of the Godzilla fandom are younger people, beside the angry toy elitists". Hopefully that clears that up @,@

Anyhow - totally went over my head. Religion, Sports and Politics. If you would call them a "fandom". Name another fandom that's caused the combined death toll of those 3 combined. Steven Universe bullying I think claimed enough to count on the hand still but that's the only one that comes to mind personally.
Major sssspielberg! wrote:Most fandoms have a toxic element.
For what it's worth, I think Star Wars post Disney has developed a pretty toxic side.
+2. These. You always had a hair toxicity with the "Star Wars is for kids" side and the "Prequels are the worst thing ever" side before Darth Mouse obtained the rights.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:But the 13 hour video essays on how VII is bad, the barely disguised sexism, and the CONSTANT bitching all the time got old pretty quickly.
These are the worst. How much of a subhuman hobgoblin basement dweller do you have to be to make such a thing, and have the audacity to think people will watch it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:Most fandoms have a toxic element.
For what it's worth, I think Star Wars post Disney has developed a pretty toxic side. I understand being unhappy with the way something you care about is being handled. But the 13 hour video essays on how VII is bad, the barely disguised sexism, and the CONSTANT bitching all the time got old pretty quickly.
Edit: I probably said something like this already but skreeonk it still true

Trust me. Star Wars is a case where BOTH sides, detractors and supporters, can get fucking obnoxious. And it's been happening before the sequels; the sequels just brought it out into the open.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Ironically despite this in the time I've been apart of the Star Wars fandom I've still had far more wholesome and non combative experiences there then I've often had here. So take that as you will I suppose

Maybe it all just depends where you are, and the size of the fandom itself which will increase the variety of people you could encounter. Generally speaking things are much more nuanced in reality I know I've had argue for and "defend" ST fans from elitist PT fanatics and vice-versa for many combinations throughout the years
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ROMG4 wrote:Ironically despite this in the time I've been apart of the Star Wars fandom I've still had far more wholesome and non combative experiences there then I've often had here. So take that as you will I suppose

Maybe it all just depends where you are, and the size of the fandom itself which will increase the variety of people you could encounter. Generally speaking things are much more nuanced in reality I know I've had argue for and "defend" ST fans from elitist PT fanatics and vice-versa for many combinations throughout the years

I, for one, can't even talk about Star Wars with my own family.

Politics? Sure!

Religion? Fair game.

Star Wars? Number one way to start an argument at the dinner table.

With Godzilla, no one really cares if you like Godzilla's Revenge, or if you dislike GMK. Opinions in the fandom are so varied, especially once you venture off TK.

Star Wars? If you like or dislike the "wrong" movie, be prepared to get jumped by hordes of angry, condescending fans, and in extreme cases perhaps even banned from whichever community you mistakenly joined (the Star Wars reddit is particularly infamous for this).

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
I, for one, can't even talk about Star Wars with my own family.

Politics? Sure!

Religion? Fair game.

Star Wars? Number one way to start an argument at the dinner table.
Well that's likely because you and your family are mostly in agreement and close in political alignment but most importantly its a more abstract and far off thing. Star Wars I imagine is a much more "personal individual thing" what you enjoy and think could be entirely different and even directly "opposed" to their view of things and vice versa. In essence the politics is an excercise in learning and the empirical side of things its depersonalized, Star Wars is based around the emotional side of things taste, memories, and interests. When you take that and then have the series be taken from its creator and put under the care of a monolith corporation that then creates a trilogy that's the equivalent of three 1998 Godzilla films, You've got the perfect recipe for drama

And let's be very clear. It took this fandom about 20 years to get over Godzilla 1998 so I mainly just see it as the pot calling the kettle black to say "we're above it". Because if you were a open 98 fan you were going to get into some arguments. The core difference between the ST and 98 is they were more successful, and they were closer to the series then 98 was to Godzilla which means even proportionally speaking (considering the sizes of the fanbase) there were and are more fans of the ST then there were 98 fans in the respective fanbases which means much more inner conflict.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:With Godzilla, no one really cares if you like Godzilla's Revenge, or if you dislike GMK. Opinions in the fandom are so varied, especially once you venture off TK.
Not true. I totally remember arguments from people here and elsewhere that routinely bad mouthed Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla Vs. Hedorah, and their creators for "ruining da series", "Betraying Godzilla", and being objectively awful movies that no one could truly like. The Godzilla fandom has the interesting attribute of being "large" but super scattered and desperate across the internet. So yes you can go for a long time without running into these people but it doesn't mean they aren't there. You are just rolling the dice
Star Wars? If you like or dislike the "wrong" movie, be prepared to get jumped by hordes of angry, condescending fans, and in extreme cases perhaps even banned from whichever community you mistakenly joined (the Star Wars reddit is particularly infamous for this).
Going to Reddit and Twitter expecting them to not be massive echo-chambers full of petulant and bitter people, while expecting discussion to be balanced and nuanced when the very mechanics of the site not only encourage but REWARD band-wagons is like sitting by a Bee Hive and expecting not to get stun. They are effectively super high-school and if you are expecting them to be different you are looking at the wrong sites
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Trust me. Star Wars is a case where BOTH sides
"Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both sides -- I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it accurately, you would say."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tbeasley wrote:
"Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both sides -- I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it accurately, you would say."

"There's good people on both sides."

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

tbeasley wrote:

Did the prequel fans have permits? Did they??
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

>Godzilla fans don't care what you like

Fucking lol yes they do.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Star Wars is the most openly and blatantly toxic fandom among modern media, for reasons that really shouldn't need to be elaborated on, but in all actuality that's a trait for all fictional pieces of work that not only become mainstream but also can easily be divided into "eras" or sections. Fire Emblem has a notoriously violent fandom who can and will lambast you if you prefer either the old pre-Awakening titles for being archaic and inferior to the modern stuff, or if you prefer the modern stuff over the older stuff because waifu panderizing and shit characters. The Sonic fandom is also infamously toxic due to its old school members growing rose tinted glasses as Sonic skipped an entire console era, and then everything from Sonic Adventure onward was a downward slope of increasingly messy controls and unpolsihed stories and gameplay culminating in the double knockout punch of the OW THE EDGE SHadow the Hedgehog and the utter trainwreck that was Sonic 06 completely shattering any semblance of sanity the fandom had left, so now it's a thousand vocal minorities screaming death threats and insults at each other over Sonic's EYE COLOR AND STATURE, among other things. The Godzilla fandom also became this in the wake of G14 helping to push Godzilla into mainstream media and bringing in a sea of new fans against the pre-existing older fans of the prior eras, and the increasingly mixed reception various movies since have had has done little to help unify the fandom, but rather segment and stratify it further.

And then there's the other major section of toxic fandoms: Multiplayer team focused games. If players have to work together or compete with one another to get the edge over a different group of people, toxicity and elitism is going to explode. Smite, League of Legends, and Call of Duty are all front and center for how toxic and elitist their fanboys and players can become, and we've all heard the stories of eight year olds screaming their heads off over X-box Live because someone is either spawn camping or not playing optimally.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Giratina93 wrote:And then there's the other major section of toxic fandoms: Multiplayer team focused games. If players have to work together or compete with one another to get the edge over a different group of people, toxicity and elitism is going to explode. Smite, League of Legends, and Call of Duty are all front and center for how toxic and elitist their fanboys and players can become, and we've all heard the stories of eight year olds screaming their heads off over X-box Live because someone is either spawn camping or not playing optimally.
I refuse to play online with strangers, it has to be someone I know personally.